Start by marking “Differentiating Instruction in the Regular Classroom: How to Reach and Teach All Learners, Grades 3-12” as Want to Read:

Differentiation -- one of the hottest topics in education today -- means changing the pace, level, or kind /or instruction in response to learners' needs, styles, and/or interests. In this timely, practical guide, Diane Heacox presents a menu of strategies and tools any teacher can use to differentiate instruction in any curriculum, even a standard of mandated curriculum. ...more
Published December 1st 2002 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published December 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about Differentiating Instruction in the Regular Classroom

Start your review of Differentiating Instruction in the Regular Classroom: How to Reach and Teach All Learners, Grades 3-12
Hoda Marmar
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found it comprehensive, practical, well organized, and appealing to read. I read it on the side for a Differentiation course, and found it has added a lot to the textbooks we are using in class. It has helped me delve deeper into differentiation. I loved the practical tips and examples given as a guide and model. The part on grading (chapter 8) was my favorite because grading was always treated theoretically in other books I have read on, but Heacox detailed how an assessment sheet can be ...more
Debbie
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Debbie by: Gretchen Wolfe
Another differentaition guide, this one completely focused on the practical, everyday needs of teachers and students in a differentiated classroom. Be sure to get the CD, which contains templates that can be adapted to individual needs. It is especially handy for teachers who don't have the time to create everything themselves (all of us).

Heacox gives brief, to the point examples of differentiation strategies and situations and then provides classroom tested templates for meeting the needs of a
Simona
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't say I "really liked it," as 4 stars supposedly indicates, but I learned a lot from this book, mainly what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing as a teacher. Okay, I suppose I do differentiate somewhat, but according to this book, not much.

The book is overwhelming, which is why I give it 4 stars. They do encourage you to start small, though, and with their organizational and management techniques, I could see this program working very well.
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
I didn't find this book particularly helpful but that's only becuase my district offers a ton of professional development. For someone who's never done curriculum mapping, essential questions in those maps, or differentiation before this is a great starter book. Still, it was a nice little refresher course before I begin the school year and the CD included that comes with premade forms will save me a lot of time and research making up my own materials.
Anne
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has many useful suggestions for how to differentiate the curriculum to meet the needs of gifted students in the classroom. It provides practical and useful advice for teachers, not theory that the teacher must somehow figure out how to implement.
Angela
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
I appreciate the worksheets and examples to make use of the strategies. They made the text approachable and more relevant.
Tracey
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-books
Great book! Full of ideas a teacher could implement anytime of the year. Differentiate in small steps, like the author suggests. Reproducibles are very user friendly.
Brittany
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
A lot of good information to use in ideal situations.
Caroline
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good read for a teacher who wants to brush up on differentiating.
Sheila
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
such a valuable book. i learned so much from this one text, which changed my teaching methods instantly.
Jeffrey
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book for planning new classroom curriculum or updating a class for a fresh start.
Rosemarie
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great strategies for instruction.
Patrick
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Pretty good. A lot of la-la, froo-froo, but also some great ideas. The matrices and differentiation ideas led to some great products as I did my homework for the class I read this in.
Erin Winters

• When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times
  • Phonemic Awareness in Young Children: A Classroom Curriculum
  • The Skin I'm In
  • Homeless Bird
  • Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University
  • Phonics They Use: Words for Reading and Writing
  • Outlander's Scotland
  • The Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life
  • The Rent Collector
  • Fostering Resilient Learners: Strategies for Creating a Trauma-Sensitive Classroom
  • Action Research in Education: A Practical Guide