Start by marking “Something in the Way He Needs (Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
Something in the Way He Needs (Family, #1)

Something in the Way He Needs

(Family #1)

Length: 7 hrs and 6 mins

A Book in the Family Series

Police captain Asher Penaz’s staunch professionalism bleeds into his home life, down to his neatly pressed attire and spartan apartment. He enjoys being the man in charge, and leather bars satisfy his need for dominance—so his sudden and powerful attraction to the lighthearted, free-spirited Daniel Tover throws him for a
Audible Audio
Published January 14th 2016 (first published February 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Something in the Way He Needs, please sign up.
Rachel Marylani yes, however there is some crossover to her book "more than everything". so cute and it's great.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I absolutely, positively, HATED this book.

I don't really consider this a romance book but more of a show-and-tell of what an abusive relationship looks like. This is in no way a healthy relationship. NO WAY.

I'm not talking at ALL about the kink. By the way, this book shouldn't be considered BDSM. There is very little BDSM in this book, barely a spanking scene. Overall, it was fairly vanilla. However, I also think that this book does a disservice to true BDSM books. Asher wasn't a dominant, he
MLE
Mar 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lendle, mm, hated
Dear Asher,

You are a selfish, inconsiderate, and borderline abusive asshole. You can not control yourself, and Daniel is not safe with you. You need serious help.

Me
Rosa, really
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore to the nth degree Cardeno fans. Apparently I'm just hardcore.

I love you, Cardeno, but this is not an enjoyable read.

Why? Main character Asher.

description

He's an asshole.

At one point he borders on being a full on motherfucker.

Let me clear this up....I DON'T LIKE HIM.

Usually I adore the possessive alpha who reluctantly falls in love, but this guy? No. I just can't.

He reminds me of one of those heroes you'd find in romance novels of the 1970s & early 80s. The hero borders on abusive throughout the entire book until the very, very end when he declares his love and
Lisa Henry
I liked this book, I swear. I just didn't like it as much as I wanted to like it, and it's all down to the MC Asher.

I liked Daniel just fine. I liked the supporting cast -- I would have liked to find out if Ollie (view spoiler) But Asher? Just no.

I like a possessive alpha male as much as the next girl. I like a Dom who says "Hands off, he's mine." No arguments. But Asher was not in control. Not of his relationship, and not of his temper. Possessive is f
~Mindy Lynn~
3 Stars!

A lot of reviewer's have stated how much they absolutely hated Asher and what an A-hole he was. Did he do some crappy stuff? Most definitely. But I guess I'm a bit jaded in the A-hole department because I've met worse in life and read worse in books. So Asher really didn't tip my A-hole scales. He had his moments, but I just found him to be really insecure. You never really get to know him. You don't get a mention of his past or who his family is. There's a mention of his mother but it'
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★

2.5 Stars

This can not be written by C.Cardone...

Could it?

Cardeno, is my go to writer for sweetness.AND, this is not sweet

Ok, this book is more like ... 2.5 stars...

Gosh, I do not like giving low rating, BUT, I do not really like this book

The Book~

The bottom may be slight spoiler'ish...please beware...

Police captain Asher Penaz’s...what an asshole....

Man ooooh man....

Asher, Asher, Asher....he just boggled my brain...stalker-like, wow, how about just helping the guy up from under the suitcase's
Shile

First of all this is not BDSM atleast IMHO.

Hmmmmm! i really wanted to like this book after all it is CC and this author's writing always makes me smile, awwww so loud, fan my self during the hot sex scenes and laugh so hard. But this book made me so worked up, i disliked Asher with a passion. He was controlling, possessive, and a Jerk. Despite my frustrations i continued reading it. Daniel was just adorkable and i liked him.

Then slowly by slowly the tables turned and i started understa
Mandapanda
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: various-romance
3.75 stars. One of Cardeno C's better novels. I was totally along for the ride with these characters. I liked the possessive, domineering Ash and the secretive beautiful Daniel. Ash's previous life as a heartless Dom just disappears as his love and need to care for for Daniel grows. His confusion at this change was totally believable.

Even though Ash is heavily involved in the BDSM lifestyle at the beginning of the novel, this is not a BDSM story. There is only one light spanking scene. However
Susan
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
What happened Cardeno C?? Why would you give an asshole like Asher a HEA?

Asher was controlling, possessive and he was being a dick for most of this book. I was okay with this in the beginning because I was convinced he would redeem himself and be the man Daniel deserved.

But the scene in the BDSM club (which happened in the last 20 pages, why???)??? (view spoiler)
Denise H.
*** This story was unusual for Cardeno C., but we still got our super sexy times, and commitment in the end. ***
Police Captain, Asher,
is large, muscled, bald and captivating.

He thinks he's a Dom, but the reality comes later. A planned wedding, a mix up, and a chance meeting change everything.

Sweet, smart, pliable, Daniel, is a functional savant,

here to see his brother, when he meets Asher. Daniel is brilliant, writes music, plays instruments, sings, is a 3rd degree black belt, plus worked
Trisha Harrington
Normally I am really into the possessive type characters. That is something I love to read in a book, but this... This did not do it as well for me. To an extent I loved the possessiveness, but then it got a bit too extreme at times. I actually loved the book until a certain point and then it turned to, just liking to to it was okay.

I loved some aspects of the story. The idea of the story and the way the characters were woven into everything was really nice. I liked Daniel the best out of the tw
Gigi
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alpha cops! Gotta love 'em, but MC Asher was just a touch too possessive and jealous of anyone who set eyes on his beautiful Sugar, MC Daniel, that I had to knock a star off because it made me that uncomfortable. But other than that, I really, really enjoyed this book! The ending was absolutely perfect and I think I could hear birds signing in the background.

If you like big, bad Dom alpha males, not looking for a lost-soul life partner (but finding one anyway) skinny, clumsy, beautiful, savant b
Sunny
I loved Daniel, and Ash's attraction to Daniel was sweet, until Ash was revealed to be an overreacting selfish jerk. For a Dom, he lost control too many times and that scene in the club was so over the top awful I couldn't believe it. It was a horrible set up for that moment of angst filled self realization. It didn't help that "sugar" as a pet name is one of my pet peeves and Ash uses it a lot.
Shirley Frances
It's a funny thing when you think you know what you're going to get when reading a book by one of your favorite authors. I think I've read every book Cardeno C has published and I've always been pleasantly surprised by something - the dialogue, a character's personality, the emotions, a sex scene. They are always sweet, romantic reads that touch my heart and although Something in the Way He Needs was just what I had expected in that regard it was so much more in other ways.

Asher, Asher, Asher.
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***2.5 Stars***

The premise of this book had potential, but I found that the characters really got in the way of the story.

First, we have Asher. He's a cop, a heartless Dom and an overall jackass to all those he encounters.

He's never been in a real relationship, nor has he ever wanted one. Asher likes and craves control, order and obedience. All of his sexual proclivities are satisfied at his favorite leather club where men fall at his feet and beg to be used by him. He whips them, canes them,
Dreamer
New favourite author. Excellent m/m bdsm novel, unputdownable: read this into the night through to the end. Hardass Dom and police captain Asher becomes a victim of his own jealousy when he falls for the beautiful, clutsy Daniel.
description
'Okay, so Asher could understand how their current positions might look like they were cuddling to the untrained eye, but in reality, they were just suffering from postorgasmic melted-bone syndrome.'
Natalie
2.5, maybe? I'm conflicted about this one.

The good: As with most Cardeno C. books, this was an enjoyable reading experience. I'm usually not fond of instalove, but this author writes it in a way that I find comforting.

The OK: Daniel has a touch of the Jory. Maybe I'm jaded, but I feel like I've read far too many of these too-clumsy-to-function-but-everybody-loves-him characters lately.

The bad: Possessive, irrationally jealous behavior like Asher's would have sent up major red flags in an m/f rom
Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
>4.5 Sweet & Steamy Stars!!

Cardeno C. is one of my favorite authors. Her books always contain a perfect mix of spicy and sweet, and the heat level is always just perfect for me. Her stories are always interesting, sometimes poignant, but never fail to contain a ton of heart so I absolutely love reading them. This book is the first in a series but can be read as a standalone. Asher is a dominant cop but this story just touches on BDSM themes, nothing too heavy here. Asher meets a younger m
Stephanie
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
2.5 stars. This book didn't work for me. I just didn’t like Ash from the beginning. The way he started following Daniel in Vegas was very stalker-like. If this were a BSDM romance, I wouldn’t have read it because Ash was very impatient, insecure, quick to anger and didn’t communicate well for someone who is supposedly a Dom. Although Daniel liked the possessiveness and felt Ash wouldn’t have hurt him, I didn’t feel comfortable reading it. His actions and behavior at the club at the end of were h ...more
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Absolutely loved this one. Two completely flawed characters doing what flawed characters do - flawing about like the rest of us mere mortals. Enjoyed how Asher evolved and, truly, became the person who could meet the needs of his partner. My first Cardeno C book and it will most definitely not be my last. Great length to really dig into the story, wonderful flow of words, interesting things happening. Not much more you can ask than that!
Macky
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read Strong Enough the second book in The Family series and absolutely loved it so was excited to go straight to this one which is actually the first and I'm very happy to say I loved this one as well. A touch more angsty I would add because the main character Ash is a bit of a complex chappy. He's a Dom who goes to leather bars to satisfy his needs but he doesn't do long term attachments and he's a police captain who likes order in his life so when he meets free spirited, slightly clutzy D ...more
M'rella
UPDATE: March 23, 2016
I thought I would re-read it. Don't ask what possessed me, because - BIG MISTAKE.
Re-rating it 1 star.

What I liked: Daniel, though he is so perfect, been everywhere, done everything, he cannot possibly be a real person, still he is adorable and I enjoyed reading about him.

Spoilers below:

What I didn't like:
- drunk law-enforcement pushovers,
- "great and awesome" doms who use subs to get themselves off and if the sub gets off too then, whaddayaknow, good for him,
- uncontrolla
Joan
NO. NONONONONONONO!! I mean! Asher simply hands Daniel over to another Dom?? Without even ASKING HIM?? WTF??? I could have thrown my Kindle across the room at that point. What a ...(Expletive deleted) moron. He doesn't deserve ANYONE.. and then Daniel meekly goes back to him afterwards??

Unbelievable.
Syfy
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance, i-cried

I'm not shelving this as BDSM, but it is one of the best stories involving BDSM I've ever read.

Ash is such a shitty ass I really did cry, but if there ever was a man who could handle falling in love with an ass, it's Danny.

Crissy Morris
You know when you turn the page of a book only to realize you just read the last page, but you wanted it to keep going because you loved the characters and their relationship and the story so much? That is this book for me.

So just a few notes on how much I loved this particular book, and why. It’s pretty well known in certain circles that I am a huge fan of this Cardeno C., and as such I feel I can make this next statement with a certainty. Something in the Way He Needs is a different kind of b
Ije the Devourer of Books
Asher Penaz is not really so likeable. He is kind of arrogant, definitely controlling and not at all the hearts and flowers kind. He doesn't do relationships at all, just sex in which he is in control. He likes things just as they are and has no apologies to make to any one about this. It is his life after all and he likes it just like that!

Of course this all changes. One weekend in Vegas to celebrate the coming nuptials of his friend Oliver and ta da!!! Cracks appear in the indomitable wall of
Lily
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm-kink, mm-romance
I have mixed feelings about this book. As expected from the author's previous works, it was a mostly pleasant read. The attraction was instant and the living together arrangement felt rushed, but these aspects did not bother me to a significant extent. Things were developing smoothly until the plot's climax, which I thoroughly disliked.

(view spoiler)
Will Parkinson
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't your daddy's Cardeno!

Asher is a Dom who has temporary subs, but has never kept them for more than a night. Then this clumsy young man stumbles into his life and turns it upside down. Unfortunately Asher is going to make a lot of mistakes. Will he be able to give Daniel what he needs or will he lose it all?
FantasyLiving
Thank you to the Unicorns for inviting me along to party with them.

I have a lot to say about this story. You can read my full review by clicking the button below....

BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

Ezekiel Robison is a phenomenal narrator. He brought these characters to life for me. Seriously, he made these characters real for me. My heart pounded, my stomach churned, I waited with bated breath to see what would happen next...and this is all because of just how phenomenal a writer Cardeno C. is. The story is so vivid and realistic for me that I was constantly on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I was totally invested in these characters and this story. Even though I am at odds because I
Dreamspinner Press: Something in the Way He Needs by Cardeno C. 1 30 Feb 25, 2013 01:54PM
  • Fettered
  • Screwing the System (Screwing the System, #1)
  • Tag Team (Guards of Folsom, #2)
  • Ricochet
  • The Good Boy (Boy, #1)
  • Leather+Lace (Opposites Attract, #2)
  • An Unlocked Heart (Collars and Cuffs, #1)
  • Parting Shot (A Matter of Time, #7)
  • Dirty Laundry (Tucker Springs, #3)
  • Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia, #1)
  • The Square Peg (The Square Peg, #1)
  • Power Exchange (Power Exchange, #1)
  • Cover Up (Toronto Tales, #2)
  • Not As Easy As It Looks
  • Not His Kiss to Take
  • Making Promises (Promises, #2)
Cardeno C. - CC to friends - is a hopeless romantic who wants to add a lot of happiness and a few "awwws" into a reader's day. Writing is a nice break from real life as a corporate type and volunteer work with gay rights organizations. Cardeno's stories range from sweet to intense, contemporary to paranormal, long to short, but they always include strong relationships and walks into the happily-ev ...more

Family (4 books)
  • Strong Enough (Family, #2)
  • More Than Everything (Family, #3)
  • The Half of Us (Family, #4)
“Do you know what that’s like?” Asher choked out, forcing himself to keep his feelings in check. “To be with someone who shines so brightly he’s all you can see? That’s how I feel when I’m with your brother. To me he’s… everything.” 8 likes
“You gave me a home. First time I ever had that. Only person I want it with. Please don’t take it away from me.” 7 likes