Start by marking “Blues Bones” as Want to Read:
Blues Bones

Blues Bones

Thirteen-year-old Rodney Becker has found the perfect cure for stage fright. Voodoo!

Armed with the stolen finger bones of a dead blues guitar player and a mishmash of voodoo spells from the Internet, he and his best friend enter a graveyard at midnight to perform their ritual. Now, all that stands in his way of winning a local guitar competition is the power of RETURN – a
Published March 2016

To ask other readers questions about Blues Bones, please sign up.
Rick Starkey The expected publication date is set for March. It's getting close. We will get to see the cover next month. Feb. 8th!

J.S. Roberts
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great book for middle-graders!

Rodney Becker is on his way to becoming a star. His online music video “Unplugged” has already received over 1,000 hits. There’s only one problem. Well, actually two. Problem number 1: the video was posted by none other than Eddie Reed, Rodney’s worst enemy. Problem number 2: “Unplugged” is a humiliating showcase of Rodney unplugging his guitar and running off stage without playing a single chord.

If Rodney has any hope of winning the music competition only a mont
K.L. Hallam
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read. The story starts off with great energy, the pace, and true-to-life characters. I loved the premise.

After an embarrassing “unplugged” version of thirteen-year-old, Rodney Becker’s last performance of him frozen on stage was blasted online; he sets out to win the Music Today Talent Show. With the help of his buddy, Max, who convinces him he can do it even if his nemesis, Eddy Manford can hit every note, and doesn’t freeze up on stage.

Rodney Becker, guitar hopeful, ca
Sherry Alexander
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The main character, Rodney, suffers from stage fright, but with a big audition coming up he has to find a way to make it through a performance without freezing up.

So many kids suffer from one kind of stage fright to another whether it's raising their hand in class, giving a speech, or trying out for something they really want. Author, Rick Starkey, makes the reader feel the desperation Rodney is going through, and then takes us on a journey that just might be Rodney's only way out. The twists an
Shannon
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am rounding a 3.5 up to a 4. I thought this book had a good story line and it was an entertaining read. I have passed it on to my middle school daughter. She read the back and said that at first she thought it didn't look interesting, but the more she read of the description the more it pulled her in. Now as a 45 year old I am not the intended audience of the book, but here are some of my thoughts. I thought this book had an opportunity to teach a lesson, the main character does something dish ...more
Chad Loveday
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The main character, Rodney, is well-developed and struggles with fears that many of us face; stage fright. His love for music and his ambition to find his purpose is relatable and genuine. The details of the book enable the reader to appreciate the wonderful area in which we live. Rodney's struggles to find his way draw the reader closer in to empathize with him and his decisions. This book has something for the music lover and the non-music lover alike. Rodney's character makes you want to have ...more
Medeia Sharif
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rodney has stage fright and can’t play the guitar like he knows he can during competitions. Enter a mysterious songwriter, a bag containing finger bones of a dead guitar player, and voodoo spells, and Rodney’s life unravels. He and the people around him suffer during his pursuit to fix his problem. He has to make things right…and fast. This horror read has the perfect mix of middle school angst and creepiness.
Montzalee Wittmann
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Blues Bones by Rick Starkey is an exciting teen book about a boy the is a guitar player with talent but has stage fright. He is desperate to find a way to cure this and is led to an extreme measure. Carrying around a stolen finger bone of a dead guitar player is the plan! See how it works in this action packed, fun, and crazy novel. Enjoyed it completely. Great plot, well developed characters, and lots of unique ideas. Never boring. I received this book from NetGalley for a honest review.
Katie Clark
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Blues Bones was such a fun read. What kid--young or old--can resist a voodoo spell in a graveyard at midnight?! Once Rodney dabbles in the black arts, things go from bad to worse. I loved following along, rooting for Rodney as he figured out how to fix things...or how to come to terms with what couldn't be fixed. Great for magic lovers, music lovers, and middle grade readers alike.
John Shaw
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
An innovative and originally terrifying horror novel
Ann
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
enjoyed it so much I didn't want to stop. Couldn't wait to see what was going to happen to Rodney next.
Betty Starkey
Jan 16, 2016
Kaitlynn
Mar 29, 2016
Rick Starkey
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Sue
Mar 17, 2016
Samantha Lundergn
Mar 18, 2016
Rick Starkey is a graduate of the Institute of Children’s Literature, and a current member of the S.C.B.W.I. His main interest is writing novels for middle grade. Rick has sold short pieces to Highlights for Children including a game, magic tricks, and a short story.

Rick lives in a 200-year-old log cabin in the Great Smoky Arts and Crafts Community in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, where he and his wife,