Start by marking “The Coding Manual for Qualitative Researchers” as Want to Read:
The Coding Manual for Qualitative Researchers

The Coding Manual for Qualitative Researchers

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  328 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews

Johnny Saldaña’s unique and invaluable manual demystifies the qualitative coding process with a comprehensive assessment of different coding types, examples and exercises. The ideal reference for students, teachers, and practitioners of qualitative inquiry, it is essential reading across the social sciences and neatly guides you through the multiple approaches available fo

Published November 2nd 2015 by SAGE Publications Ltd (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Coding Manual for Qualitative Researchers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coding Manual for Qualitative Researchers

Chris Friend
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear, concise, and helpful. Saldaña says there's no need to read cover-to-cover, but for inexperienced qualitative researchers, there's a degree of comfort that comes from his thoroughness.

This should be required reading in any qualitative-methods course, especially if applied practice is involved.

I was particularly impressed by his ability to balance electronic/database-driven tools and more traditional manual tools. He is clear to point out when one becomes essential in contrast to another,
Venkatesh-Prasad
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is more in line with the " methods sourcebook" by the same author. It catalogs a set of coding profiles for first and second cycle of coding. While catalog is interesting and useful as a reference, the postscript about how to use the coding profiles and how to manage the coding process in each cycle is most useful. For me, it kind of reaffirmed the certain beliefs about qualitative research and the involved techniques. The exposition about the relations between coding profiles is also ...more
Lauren
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic, rhetcomp
Super useful guide to the actual processes of coding and possible approaches to coding data. I liked the structure of this guide and it actual felt like it was meant to be used as a guide. I could see myself returning to this book with different projects for help approaching multiple sets of data or ways to employ simultaneous coding.
Kim Donehower
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone whose field is adjacent to the social sciences but who uses social science methods, this is hands-down the most comprehensive, clear, and helpful book for qualitative coding. I have recommended it to several graduate students, all of whom have found it invaluable.
Bill
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
An outstanding guide that provides an incredibly clear discussion of first- and second-cycle qualitative coding methodology. I regularly assign and recommend this book to my students, and find that it is a useful reference that I often return to.
sdw
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great introductory text!
M. Shipley
Oof...
Lauren
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-readings
This manual is a must-have for anyone new to coding qualitative data. While the sheer volume of information in here can be overwhelming (the author himself suggests not reading it cover-to-cover, although for the class this was assigned in that's how I had to go about it), it's a thorough and insightful look at both the benefits and challenges of coding. As I was working through coding some interviews, it was extremely helpful for me to read the chapter on first-cycle coding, do first-cycle codi ...more
Bahia
This book is exactly what is says: a manual. This is a great book to have on hand for qualitative research. The first few chapters discuss coding in detail, including what coding is and the purpose of coding and the importance of using analytic memos. The rest of the book is a bunch of different coding techniques for first cycle and second cycle coding. Great reference book and very readable.
Jim
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, phd
Not an easy read but Saldana does and excellent job in discussing First and Second Cycle coding. Additionally, he provides solid application examples of the different coding methods with extensive examples provided.
Kate M
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this but was glad, as it offered some important tips. As long as I had to read it, I'm counting it!
Celine
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vying for that number one spot in my "Essentially got me through my master's thesis" file.
Ricki
This is an excellent coding manual, and it fills a gap in the literature. I read it for my qualitative methods course, and I found it to be very helpful and a great resource.
Lauren Warnecke
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unpacks the coding process in a surprisingly easy to read, yet thorough, manner.
Jeff
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research
Very practical manual.
Jess C.
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, non-fiction, methods
Great book on coding. Presents a complete list of coding methods and when they are most appropriate to use. Definitely a reference I will be going back to over and over.
Mike
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research
Good detailed explanation about teh coding process in qualitative research analysis
Thomas Pentecost
Have read several chapters and I have found it very useful!
Raluca Stana
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good overview of the literature or qualitative research encoding practices.
Karen Bankston
Mar 21, 2015
Elaheh
Feb 25, 2015
  • Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Approaches
  • Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory
  • Interviewing as Qualitative Research: A Guide for Researchers in Education and the Social Sciences
  • Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook
  • Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods)
  • Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis
  • The Sage Handbook of Qualitative Research
  • Survey Research Methods, Third Edition (Applied Social Research Methods Series Volume 1)
  • Writing Ethnographic Fieldnotes
  • The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research
  • Paratexts: Thresholds of Interpretation
  • Media Unlimited: How the Torrent of Images & Sounds Overwhelms Our Lives
  • The Late American Novel: Writers on the Future of Books
  • The Event of Literature
  • Book Was There: Reading in Electronic Times
  • Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Generalized Causal Inference
  • Digital Vertigo: How Today's Online Social Revolution Is Dividing, Diminishing, and Disorienting Us
  • Learning From Strangers: The Art and Method of Qualitative Interview Studies

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Shakespeare Never Did This
    $6.99 $1.99
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
    $18.95 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $7.95 $2.49
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers