Start by marking “Once and For All (American Valor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Once and For All (American Valor, #1)

Once and For All

(American Valor #1)

The Rangers of the 1st/75th fight hard, train hard and play hard. They are physically strong and mentally tough, disciplined and courageous. But all their military training hasn't prepared them for falling in love.

Rule #1: Military and matrimony don’t mix.

But if there’s one person Staff Sergeant Danny MacGregor would break all his rules for, it’s Bree—his first friend, fir
Published May 24th 2016 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Once and For All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once and For All

Debbie I Heart YA Books

Oh, this is when I wish I could rate a book all the way up to 10, because Cheryl Etchison definitely deserves a perfect 10 for Danny and Bree's love story. Once and For All is an awesome, emotional romance. It’s full of high and lows, taking readers on a hold-on-to-your-heart rollercoaster ride. Danny and Bree's romance begins as a friendship. Friends to lovers, and then lovers to enemies. Which then in turn becomes a marriage of convenience, with a forever, happily ever after in their future. D
Le Ann Foster
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
☆☆Reviewed by Hooked On Books and CherryOBlossom Promotions ☆☆

I gave this book 4.5 stars!

Wow for a debut novel, Cheryl knocked it out of the park. I was hooked from the first meeting in the story to the last at the beach. I absolutely fell in love with Bree character, even though at times I wanted to strangle her. Danny, Danny, Danny....Your Hot as sin, Alpha Male and a Army Ranger! Your definitely a triple threat!

Bree and Danny were high school sweet hearts. Their freshman year both of their
Cocktails and Books
A good book, but I wanted a little more from this story. Their jump from marriage of convenience to back in love with each other was quick. There so much that happened during the 10 years they weren't together that is made it hard to believe that in a few weeks everything came back.
KAS
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book had me immediately hooked. A romantic, emotional story about Bree and Danny meeting up again after ten years apart. Danny had left Bree without a word back in college to join the Army and now finds out she has been battling with cancer. These were well developed characters I truly cared about and the story flowed with great conversation. 4.5 STARS!

I liked how life as an Army Ranger and the wife of a Ranger were depicted accurately, as I myself am married to a former Army Ranger. Not be
Jultri
This author is new to me and I came across this novel while browsing through random books for inspiration. This is a surprisingly good book, well-written with excellent dialogue. After ten years of managing to avoid each other's spheres, Bree Dunbar bumped into her childhood friend and first love, Staff Sergeant Danny MacGregor of the Rangers. She is recovering from her second bout of chemotherapy following her recurrence of ovarian cancer. He is back home from leave. After the initial awkwardne ...more
Carol-Ann
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This love story touched my heart for obvious reasons. This couple staff sergeant Danny MacGregor and his friend and first and only love Bree Dunbar they had both been on a rollercoaster of a ride there feelings for each other has strong has ever. Loved there chemistry and the history they had together and a love worth fighting for!! I'm so glad that I picked this book to read , I can't wait to read the next book !!
Maida
3.5 stars rounded high. It's a sweet second-chance story between childhood sweethearts with a marriage of convenience storyline thrown in. Overall, a good book with some nice heart-tugging scenes. I especially liked the parts particular to military procedures like those a single soldier has to put together when he recently got married. Been there, done that. If I have a criticism, it's that everything is even keeled, not much highs and lows.
Liz
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
Took me a little while to get into this book but once I got past the first few chapters I couldn't put it down. I loved the marriage of convenience angle of this second chance romance. Such a romantic and full on emotional read. Danny and Bree certainly captured my heart, I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.
Kristina Birch
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
New author for me and I was not disappointed! This military romance has it all: marriage of convenience, second chance romance, suspense, humor, and heart. I can't wait to read the next one.
Jeffe Kennedy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very much enjoyed this RITA® Award winner for Best First Book. A charming and touching contemporary romance with believable characters.
Kristina
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Winner of the 2017 RITA Award for Best First Novel, this is an absolutely brave and stunning first novel!

Bree, who has survived two bouts of cancer just wants to get back on her feet and out from under her very protective mother. Staff Sergeant Danny, who walked out on Bree ten years ago, bumps into her in a grocery store and can't believe how much of her life he's missed. Then he does something even he almost can't believe, he offers her marriage as a means to an end. She'll have insurance, a n
Amy
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good debut novel. I liked the writing and the voice. Sweet love story!

Bree has battled and survived cancer twice but it has done a number on her life. No job, no hope of one as long as any perspective employer thinks it will increase the company’s insurance premiums, she has no choice but to live with her folks and not have a life of her own. Not only that, but she feels like everyone thinks of her as being sick rather than being a survivor. Her greatest wish is just to be able to live her life,
Nelle @ Nelle's Nightstand Blog
I got to meet Cheryl at a KissCon on my birthday this year. I picked this up then and came home and immediately read it. I have a love of military stories and this one caught my attention and didn't let go.

Danny seemed brusque and rude at first. But you could tell from the beginning that these two were meant for each other. This was an emotional journey.
Kari
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, kindle
I read this book in one sitting. I'm a sucker for second chance/friends to lovers stories. The couple on this book was so cute together. I loved what Danny did to help Bree out. I was rooting for them the whole time. Definitely a book to check out!
E-Reader Addict
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's just something about a second-chance love story that I find myself unable to resist. Maybe it's the scene where the man finally says "I messed up, but I've never stopped loving you." Maybe it's the moment when the woman decides to forgive the man and love him again despite how badly she was hurt before. Either way, I just can't get enough of these stories, and Once and For All satisfied me on so many levels.

Aubrey and Danny grew up together, even lived across the street from each other.
Deb
This is a low stress, everything works out quickly, sweet read - in other words, not my favorite type of book. The book started out on a strong note, leading me to think that this story would be much grittier than it turned out. The two characters viewpoints were strongly differentiated and they had a lot on their plate to deal with between their history, Bree's cancer recovery and the life of a military wife married to someone who does high risk missions.

But then the book spent the next fifty p
Katy
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, ebook
3.5 Stars

I can see why this was RITA nominated, marriage of convenience, second change romance, military, oh and cancer I am just waiting for it to be announced as the winner, but only based on these points because even though I enjoyed the story something was lacking.

Is it possible for the pacing to move along well but the plot to drag? If so that is how I would describe this book, fast paced but no story. I really wanted to enjoy this story but it just lacked something, I think mostly I didn't
Jennifer Davis
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I wanted to give a higher rating but I had a few problems with this book. I found the premise that Danny and Bree would go 10 years without any contact and still pine for each other unbelievable. I found his marriage of convenience idea so soon after seeing each other again unbelievable. And while I really liked Danny, I couldn't see what he saw in Bree--her character didn't really stand out for me. With that said, however, I did enjoy their "second chance" romance and was rooting for ...more
Karla Andrews
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Highly recommend it! I cried thru it. It had so much compassion, love, hurt, romance. Danny and Bree have been childhood best friends since forever. Then that turned to lovers. But after high school it changed. Well after a year into college. They had a huge break up. She went thru 2 cancers. And he unlisted in the army. But they find they way back to each other with a pretend marriage. Can they make it work or will heart be broken.
Denise Vasak
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I really enjoyed this story. There were some gaps but I think they were all justified. I like that we didn't spend half of the book waiting on them to get together. I thought both Bree and Danny were well enough developed and both were fairly quick to get to the truth. I liked the love scenes and that they didn't try to sugar coat some of the aftereffects of cancer.

I was pleasantly surprised by this novel!
Janene
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent second-chance love story. The characterization was great--the characters felt so real--and the portrayal of the hero's military life was very realistic, as was the heroine's recovery from cancer. Loved the interaction between them, and the ending was emotional and satisfying. I look forward to reading the other books in the series!
Rebecca
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It was a quick, easy read for February Bookclub. Having prior military service and being a Georgia native, I am more than familiar with many of the locations, with military ranks and deployments. Even though I enjoyed the book, I did find the story somewhat predictable.
Holly Maxwell
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg this is definitely one of my favorite books I’ve ever read! I had this on a shelf for the past year and was hesitant thinking I wouldn’t like a military love story... but this story was amazing! Beautifully written! I can’t wait to start the next book in the series!
Lisadh
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure romance

I can't believe this is Ms. Etchison's first book. I can believe she's earned two RITA nominations for it, though. Fantastic story, well-rounded characters, great sex scenes, heartfelt emotions. Loved it!
Karen
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-romance
Carrie
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A second chance romance that was so damn good. Equal parts sexy and emotional with a good sprinkling of humor, it was everything I needed it to be. You will root for Bree & Danny with your whole heart. My eyes are red and puffy now but I regret nothing. Already purchased the second book.
Robin
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I NEED MORE STARS!
Seriously, one of the best books I've read in 2017. If there weren't two more in the series waiting for me, I'd immediately read this one again.
Dianne Fagan
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

This is the first book I've read by this arthur and I was not disappointed. It's a sweet romantic story with lots of laughs. I will definitely be reading more of her books
Becca
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5... cute romance!
Holly
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Besides the awful cover, this was a great read.

• All I Have (A Farmers' Market Story, #1)
  • Undaunted (Knights in Black Leather, #1)
  • Hero of Mine (Men in Uniform, #2)
  • Love on the Outskirts of Town (Pine Harbour, #7)
  • Dirty Dancing at Devil's Leap (Hellcat Canyon, #3)
  • Smolder (Wildwood, #2)
  • Best Worst Mistake (Brightwater, #3)
  • Insert Groom Here (Unconventional Brides, #1)
  • North to You (Journey to the Heart #1)
  • Facing Fire (Bad Boys Undercover, #3)
  • Signs of Attraction
  • Indecent Proposal (Boys of Bishop, #4)
  • The Groom Wore Plaid (Highland Weddings, #2)
  • At Long Last
  • His Perfect Partner (Matched to Perfection #1)
  • Star Dust (Fly Me to the Moon, #1)
  • Deception So Deadly (Deception So, #1)
  • Tycoon (The Knickerbocker Club, #0.5)
Cheryl Etchison began her writing career as an oil and gas reporter in her home state of Oklahoma. Bored to tears and broke as hell, it wasn't long before she jumped ship and headed for the promise land of public relations. But that was a nearly a lifetime ago and she's traded in reporting the facts for making it all up.

You can find me at:
www.facebook.com/CherylEtchisonBooks
www.twitter.com/_chery

American Valor (3 books)
  • Here and Now (American Valor, #2)
  • From the Start (American Valor, #3)