Start by marking “I Let You Go” as Want to Read:
I Let You Go

I Let You Go

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  84,445 ratings  ·  10,249 reviews
The next blockbuster thriller for those who loved The Girl on the Train and Gone Girl...a novel with "an astonishing intensity that drags you in and never—ever—lets you go." (Daily Mail, UK)

On a rainy afternoon, a mother's life is shattered as her son slips from her grip and runs into the street . . .

I Let You Go follows Jenna Gray as she moves to a ramshackle cottage o
Published May 3rd 2016 by Berkley (first published November 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about I Let You Go, please sign up.
Jamie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Caz Geary I'm sure you're meant to think that, in fact this was what i loved about the book - the signs were there that things weren't as they seemed but I…moreI'm sure you're meant to think that, in fact this was what i loved about the book - the signs were there that things weren't as they seemed but I didn't figure it out and thought it was a brilliant twist! - what I did think was rubbish was the ending where Ian was Jacobs father - I mean as if!!! an unnecessary twist to jump on the twist bandwagon there!!(less)

·  84,445 ratings  ·  10,249 reviews

Deanna
WOW!

I just finished this book about 10 minutes ago and I'm very impressed. I'm also very tired as it's now after 5am! I will be so very tired today but it is totally worth it!!

I have so many good books that I want to read right now. I keep adding to my collection faster than I'm reading. I've gotten into a bad habit of reading a couple of pages of new books and forgetting which one I wanted to read next. Because of that this novel had been forgotten about until today. When I picked it up again
Elyse Walters
Jacob, a five year old boy is killed at the start of the novel.
NOTHING PLEASANT SO FAR! Then for the next 400 or so pages -- we feel nothing for this poor child. We never knew him to begin with. His death is a shock incident - we have no emotional connection with him whatsoever. So... the story is about 'who killed him?" why did the driver hit Jacob and drive away? And why the hell after a year, are there no leads about the case? And why is it taking so long to tell this story--when 'some' of u
Jennifer Masterson
Bravo! Bravo Ms. Mackintosh for completely blowing my mind and making me an emotional wreck! 4.5 Stars rounded up to 5! 5 ++++ Stars for phenomenal narration! I didn't figure this one out! Fantastic book! Wonderful audio! I can't believe this was a debut!

This is a hard book to review without giving away spoilers. What I will say is that this novel starts out as a simple but devastating crime of hit and run. A five year old boy is dead. Jenna Gray's life is changed forever. She runs off to a sea
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I love a good psychological thriller, and this one fell into the category of excellent ones. Holy macaroni Batman! I did NOT see that twist coming in a million years! I just stared at the page whilst my brain scrambled to get some footing again. And it wasn't the only one. But the BIGGIE was done so very, very well.

A tragic accident. It all happened so quickly. She couldn't have prevented it. Could she?

In a split second, Jenna Gray's world descends into a nightmare. Her only hope of moving on i
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought I was finished reading for the night but decided that I just had to finish this one! While I had it all figured out early on, it didn't keep me from enjoying this one. Extremely well written debut and I look forward to her next book.

Jacob is a 5 year old little boy who lets go of his mother's hand for a brief moment and is killed in a hit and run in the prologue of this gripping police procedural. Jenna Gray's life is forever changed and runs away immediately following the accident to es
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I can't believe this book! And the significance of the words "OMG" written in the sand has to do with both my reaction and something in the book that I'm not going to tell you!

Headlights glint on wet tarmac, the dazzle blinding them every few seconds. Waiting for a break in the traffic they duck across the busy road, and she tightens her grip on the small hand inside the soft woollen glove, so he has to run to keep up. Sodden leaves cling to the railings, their bright colours darkening to a du
Reading Corner
I Let You Go is incredibly cliche and predictable, the format of the book was so familiar because a lot of thrillers seem to follow the same trend.It's all muddled at the start,then we get to about the halfway point and there's a "big twist"or revelation and the book is switching between the past and present to eventually uncover the mystery.(view spoiler) I was ...more
Carol
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Jennifer Masterson
How the hell did I miss this GREAT debut?

First of all and most IMPORTANT: GO IN COLD TURKEY FOLKS, AND READ IT!

I LET YOU GO all begins with an inexcusable crime that leads to an investigative division (with a story of its own) on the hunt. With a very subtle underlying current of 'something brewing' (that might be construed as slow going) there's another unexpected tragedy, a shocker of a twist, heartrending grief, fear, nightmares, and a door that won't lock.

AND, despite all the great quotes

Christine
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Janet 5, compelling review.
I Let You Go is a very smart, very clever psychological mystery by new British author Clare Mackintosh. This is an extremely impressive debut novel.

The story involves a hit and run killing of a 5-year-old boy and is told from the POV of 3 characters—our main protagonist Jenna, the lead detective on the case Ray, and a man named Ian. Ms. Mackintosh is an excellent writer. She knows how to capture the reader’s attention right off the bat. Jenna and Ray are well characterized and Ms. Mackintosh had
Charlotte May
I stayed up late last night to finish this one - which speaks volumes about how much I was enjoying it, as I value my sleep more than anything else in life!

A young mum walks her 5 year old son home from school, like any other day. Except that this day is different, her son lets go of her hand and is hit by a car and killed instantly.
In Part 1 we flick between two POVs - that of the woman, choosing to begin her life again after the horrific accident and grief it has left behind. She moves from Br
Linda
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of I Let You Go through NetGalley. Thank you to NetGalley, Sphere Books, and to Clare Mackintosh for the opportunity.

In a matter of seconds lives will change forever.

A distracted mother follows behind her five year old son after picking him up from school on a rainy afternoon. Jacob is joyful upon the promise of a fun afternoon with his mom. He leaps one foot in front of the other chasing that promise into the street and into an oncoming car. The impact has tragic results. Gone
Suzanne
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-penrith
A really good thriller. A teenie bit slow in the middle, where I was rushing to get through it, just so I could move along to my next read. But then, it picked up pace and I kept stopping at the end so the end would not come. Sounds like I couldn't make up my mind?! But a definite 5 star read. A hit and run, followed by lots of twists and turns as we follow the unexpected path of the unexpected party. The Welsh countryside was a joy to read about, the ocean sounds wonderful there, even if so ver ...more
Justin
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melissa
Lately it seems like every suspense or psychological thriller is compared to Gone Girl. I often wonder if Gillian Flynn is excited to see so many comparisons to her work, so many people trying to emulate that shock value or if she feels that most don’t live up to the epic twist that made Gone Girl so special, like I do.

I’m excited to say - this is one book that actually lives up to that comparison. Don't get me wrong, this is an entirely different story, but it delivers that same level of shock
Lori
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
WOW, WOW, WOW! I'm still utterly speechless and I finished this several hours ago- 3 AM to be exact. This inched its way along very unassumingly then WHAM... I was completely 'sucker punched'. Easily the best thriller I have read in ages. I'm anticipating this will be the 'it' book of summer so go ahead and snatch up a copy... NOW!
Julie
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh is a 2016 Berkley publication.

I heard so many good things about this book, by the time I got my hands on a copy I was frothing at the mouth with excitement. Did the book live up to all the hype?

Oh yeah, it’s very clever! The one downside is that it is hard to say much of anything at all about the plot, so I will refer you back to the book synopsis/blurb to get the setup.

I did have a few issues with a couple of lead characters, but since no one is mentioning th
Carol
Jul 30, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Carol
Shelves: fiction
The Hook I’m seeing this everywhere and once again have been drawn in by the hype. IMHO, it is deserved this time.

The Line “I want to fix an image of him in my head, but all I can see when I close my eyes is his body, still and lifeless in my arms. I let him go, and I will never forgive myself for that.”

The Sinker – This is the best fiction I’ve read on this subject since…oh, no, can’t tell you that or it will spoil the whole read for you. Ok, so sometimes I’m an unreliable reviewer. You don’t
Megan Johnson
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This wasn't an emotionally easy book to take in. Saying that it's heavy would be an understatement, but it's one that is such an incredibly crafted story that I know it's one that will stay on my favorites list for years to come.

Jacob, a young boy, has been hit by a speeding car on a dark and rainy night. The driver, rather than stopping, speeds away leaving the boy's mother traumatized and distraught. Not knowing how to handle her own grief, she flees in effort to escape everything that has ju
Lala BooksandLala
I haven't been this caught off guard by a thriller in a while. Finally a book actually worthy of its Gone Girl comparison- it is full of incredibly well crafted twists. I would have preferred the ending to be a little different, but gets a solid 4.5 rating from me.
Kelli
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
**If you haven't read this book, I recommend you not read reviews until you have finished the book. If you disregard my suggestion, please don't read my spoiler-tagged portion because it will spoil the book for you. I cannot properly explain my opinion without spoilers and because my opinion is not in line with most, I need to go there.**

This is a puzzling mystery but the pacing was too slow in the beginning or perhaps it just took too long to get to the action and then once it got there, it rea
*TANYA*
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, indeed!!! Heartbreaking story. This book had my emotions all over the place: angst, anger, and then sympathy. Great book and that ending....!!!!

Yeah, this book was so much better than Gone Girl in my opinion.
Lucie
“I only let go for a second.”
Every mother's worst nightmare come true.

This story opens with an accident that would haunt any mother for the rest of her life. Walking home from school on a rainy day, an excited little boy named Jacob pulls away from his mother's hand to cross the street.

At that same moment, a car swerves on the wet pavement, hitting the 5-year-old, killing him instantly. A heartbroken Jenna moves to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast in an attempt to heal and start over.

The ru
Dianne
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2017
Dang, dang, DANG!!! Well, color me surprised! This is a very well-executed and engrossing "thriller-lite" about a hit and run acccident with one of the best "I never saw it coming" twists I can remember. Very, very sneaky, Ms. Mackintosh!

Don't read any reviews (after this one, LOL!). Just go get this from the library and thank me later. It does have a teeny bit of chick-lit flavor to it, but really nothing I found overly melodramatic or predictable.

Hats off to Clare Mackintosh for my first genu
Norma * Traveling Sister
Absolutely loved this book!!
j e w e l s
ONE OF MY TOP TEN TWISTERS! See all my Tornado Warnings at www.booksbejeweled

“A tragic accident. It all happened so quickly. She couldn’t have prevented it. Could she?”

Clare Macintosh, the author of I Let You Go, is the real deal. According to her Goodreads profile, she spent twelve years in the police force, including time in the criminal investigations unit (CID). She knows what she is writing about.

I Let You Go, her debut novel, was the fastest-selling title by a new crime writer in 2015 (U.K
Margitte
WHERE ARE WE?

Penfach on the Welsh Gower Peninsula. Wales. Yes.

There's some dragging clichés to establish the plot, characters and background, sure. And then there's a chick-lit lite cocktail to endure, and a main character that is too much of a Barbara Cartland English Rose kind of lookalike. Oy, please NO! NO! NO!, love, NO!

BUT............'lo and behold! ..........there's the absolute tragedy of a mother losing a child in an accident.

The first part of the story, while the plot heats up, was b
Elaine
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clare Mackintosh’s debut novel has not only just knocked the stuffing out of me, but just about every other psychological drama/police procedural that I have read over the past couple of years. It is absolutely stunning.

There I have said it, but how to back it up? I can’t because it really is the sort of book best read cold with no preconceived ideas about the plot. What I can say is that it has all the ingredients I like in this type of book.

It has atmosphere – I didn’t just watch what was goi
Zoeytron
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
The author easily led me down the garden path, then POW! Right in the kisser! I never saw it coming. Well done to the point of making any subsequent twists superfluous, in my opinion. Very impressive debut.
Sean Peters
One of the most powerful, gripping, tense , clever psychological thrillers l have ever read.

An enormously gripping, tense, unbelievably clever story that holds your attention all the way through.

With so many twists, shocks my heart was pounding to the last page

Thank you to Net Galley and the author for a advanced copy and apologies for the delay.

One of the best books ever read.

Sean Peters
Moderator of A good thriller on Goodreads
Meg Cabot
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seriously did not see that twist coming. Very entertaining. I think some people might be taking the ending too literally? The author promises it’s a happy ending, which is how I read it.
A Million More Pages: BOTM 2018 - I Let You Go - Starts 22nd September 11 51 Sep 23, 2018 12:00AM
Books and Jams Re...: Part 2 (Ch 22 - End) 15 44 Sep 02, 2018 01:45PM
Books and Jams Re...: Part 1 (Prologue - Ch 21) 11 39 Aug 17, 2018 03:19AM
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • The Substitute
  • With Love from the Inside
  • Web of Deceit (Detective Ella Marconi #6)
  • Keep Your Friends Close
  • After the Fall
  • Not a Sound
  • Until You're Mine (DCI Lorraine Fisher #1)
  • Good as Gone
  • Arrowood
  • Hidden
  • Daughter
  • This Little Piggy
  • Before We Met
  • Tarnished
  • Rage Against the Dying (Brigid Quinn, #1)
Clare Mackintosh spent twelve years in the police force, including time on CID, and as a public order commander. She left the police in 2011 to work as a freelance journalist and social media consultant now writes full time. She lives in North Wales with her husband and their three children.

Clare's debut novel, I Let You Go, is a Sunday Times bestseller and was the fastest-selling title by a new c
“My steps feel lighter now and I realize it’s because I’m running toward something, and not away from it.” 18 likes
“Such a small impact on the world, yet the very centre of my own.” 15 likes