Start by marking “There's A Wocket In My Pocket!: Dr. Seuss's Book Of Ridiculous Rhymes” as Want to Read:
There's A Wocket In My Pocket!: Dr. Seuss's Book Of Ridiculous Rhymes

There's A Wocket In My Pocket!: Dr. Seuss's Book Of Ridiculous Rhymes

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  25,486 Ratings  ·  652 Reviews
Full of witty words and zany illustrations, this text is also full of ridiculous rhymes.
Unknown Binding, 10 pages
Published June 26th 1997 by Not Avail (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about There's A Wocket In My Pocket!, please sign up.

Ceciley Noel I think it's a good way to encourage imagination and creativity. We don't know what these things are, but we can imagine them and create our own…moreI think it's a good way to encourage imagination and creativity. We don't know what these things are, but we can imagine them and create our own stories and our own meanings. (less)

Stacy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love this Seuss book, too. I am honestly relieved there is NOT a nook gase in my book case!
Sarah Grace
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The BEST Dr. Seuss book! LOVE it!
Rachel
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: alliteration junkies
Shelves: sockrockers
sometimes i feel like there's a zamp in the lamp
and im also quite certain there's a jertain in the curtain

whoa
Derek
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Warning: despite the title, this book has very little to say about wockets. If you purchased this book hoping to gain insight into the ecology and habitat of the wocket, you will be disappointed.
David Sarkies
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nonsense Rhymes
18 November 2013

I notice that some people deeply analyse the functionality of the book in how well it would work to help children to read and to understand the English language, and there are others that simply go on about how much they loved this book when they were a kid (and have probably not read it since then). Then there is me, who will read the book and then make comments about it in the same way that I made comments about Mister Dog: The Dog Who Belonged to Himself and Th
Michael Finocchiaro
and that Jertain in the curtain better start paying his rent or he’ll get thrown down to the cellar with the Gellars! Another wonderful play on words and sounds that my kid adores.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I'm completely unfamiliar with the original There's A Wocket in My Pocket! so I don't know how this differs, sad to say, but as it's quite the silly book and so much fun to read, I wouldn't mind getting the longer version too.

It begins: "Did you ever have the feeling there's a ZAMP in the LAMP?"

"Or a NINK in the SINK?" and so on.

For each everyday household item or piece of furniture, Seuss made up a silly rhyme. There's the WOSET in the CLOSET and the BOFA on the SOFA, the GEELING on the CEILING
Dave
Apr 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
Well my nephew loves it, so good enough for me! Like other Dr Seuss books, wonderful to read aloud.
Christa
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Okay so technically the six-year-old read this to me (SO PROUD) but I supervised and thus am counting it anyway.
Simone
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the rhymes they were so funny!
Gavin Abdollahi
Ok, I think I'm being a little mean to this book. I'd like to give it four stars, it being a Dr. Seuss book and all, but... I can't.
Cat in the Hat and the Lorax were good. Still a ramble of nonsense, but good.
This, however... Was just too much.
So, it's about a kid who lives in this house full of weird monster like things, and the whole story goes like: There's a wocket in my pocket and a nookbrush on my toothbrush and a dozet in my closet and a lish in my dish and a...
Though, I have to say, he's
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another fun and hilarious story from the mind of Dr. Seuss.
Jonathan Katz
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i have read it and also read it many times to my sister -- she loves this book
Maria
May 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngreader-5-13
I think this one was my fave for awhile. The made up words were fun.
Aneesa
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This guy can get away with anything.
Holli
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
All I have to say is I want to visit this guy's house. It sounds like a fun time to be with all those whatis around. Very creative and fun book.
Chris Mills
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The rhyming rhythm and silly and humorous concepts are what makes There’s a Wocket in my Pocket such a special picture book. The story depicts a young boy who visits different rooms in his house only to find crazy-looking creatures, some of which he likes and others that he doesn’t, hiding in cupboards, behind curtains, and up the chimney. The boy hopes to remain with the friendly creatures and never leave the house.

The concept I like most about the book is the creative rhyming and timing of eac
Morgan Folk
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal Response:
I read this book “There’s a Wocket in my Pocket” by Dr. Seuss to my little sister and she really thought it was funny and she told me that it rhymed. I liked this book because it was short and gets a point across about what happens.

Plot:
“There’s a Wocket in my Pocket” by Dr. Seuss was about a boy who had a whole bunch of crazy things in his house. A couple of them were a wocket in his pocket, a wasket in his basket, a nureau in his bureau, a woset in his closet, jertian in th
Ronyell
“There’s a Wocket in my Pocket!” is truly a brilliant book from the creative mind of Dr. Seuss and it is about how a young boy tells the audience about the strange yet fun-loving creatures that live in a young boy’s house. “There’s a Wocket in my Pocket!” is definitely one of the greatest books about rhyming ever written!

Dr. Seuss has done a splendid job at both writing and illustrating this book. Dr. Seuss illustrations are truly great and creative as he illustrates the boy with a red outfit an
Connie
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is typical for Dr. Seuss, this book combines simple rhymes with nonsense.

There is great value for young readers in reading nonsense words. It teaches them to quickly and automatically sound out words they have never seen before. And there's not much plot. This, too, is an advantage - when you're struggling to read you're likely to lose track of what you've read by the end of the sentence. If you have to think back three pages for everything to make sense, well, that's frustrating!

Some of the
Janelle
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know it's supposed to just be a fun read for kids to learn about rhyming. But all of these fantastical names for fantastical creatures are not the words I want my children learning when they're first developing their language skills. I'd rather they learn real rhymes - Fox in Socks at least has that going for it!
Gerry
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful Dr Seuss offering in which a little boy tells of the strange creatures that inhabit his house.

There are the Yeps on the steps, the Nooth Grush on his toothbrush, the Yottle in his bottle, the Jertain in the curtain and many more.

All good fun and, as usual, well illustrated.
Josiah
Nov 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is uncanny in its ability to be pleasantly funny. There's a Wocket in My Pocket should prove an enjoyable read for almost anyone, as it specializes in the type of offbeat rhyming humor that shows Dr. Seuss to be quite a writer, at his best. I would definitely give one and a half stars to this book.
Mohammed Al-Garawi
Unlike Dr. Seuss's other books, this doesn't send a message to the kid. It's just a short ridiculous funny rhyme that makes you smile.

I give it to him for the creativity in coming up with some of those creatures, though.

However, kids may enjoy this funny cute nonsense. I guess I'll have to wait and see..
Andrew Greatbatch
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I read this at the nursery today as I love Dr. Seuss and the children absolutely loved it. They couldn't stop laughing at the way i read it aloud. This book is certainly better when read out loud and to/around children. It is so good.
Anne
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-kid-in-me
I don't care if you believe it

that's the kind of house I live in

and I hope we never leave it

Oh Dr. Suess, you make me smile so.
Acton
Jul 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chris, kirby
I read this book a lot of times because it is full of funny rhymes. (Chris)
Dee/ bookworm
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite kid books
Katie
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The board book is not as good as the original.

Lovely story, exploring the emotions of one young boy toward his house guests, who I assume, were uninvited. Fun and quirky.
Amy
Aug 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
Chloe's current fave. Wocket pocket? wocket pocket?
Seuss Lovers: There's a Wocket in my Pocket! 1 3 Dec 06, 2012 07:20PM
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)
  • Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
  • The Nose Book
  • Curious George's Opposites
  • Waddle!
  • There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Snug House, Bug House (Bright & Early Books)
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • That's Not My Train
More about Dr. Seuss...

“All those Nupboards in the Cupboards they're good fun to have about. But that Nooth gush on my tooth brush.....Him I could do without.” 152 likes