Start by marking “Scaling Lean: Mastering the Key Metrics for Startup Growth” as Want to Read:
Scaling Lean: Mastering the Key Metrics for Startup Growth

Read Book

Scaling Lean: Mastering the Key Metrics for Startup Growth

A hands-on guide to the metrics that matter most to young tech startups.

In the early stages of a tech startup's life, it's hard to decipher the meaningful
metrics from the distractions. How do you know if your product is working? Is it
the number of new signups? Average amount of time spent on the site? Revenue,
even if you don't have a revenue model yet?

In Scaling Lean, seri
Published June 14th 2016 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Scaling Lean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scaling Lean

John Elbing
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great compliment to Running lean. It gives good practical advice to help keep things real and keep you accountable. The quick "order of magnitude" calculations to help set goals are invaluable.
Jose Papo
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must read book for anyone building solutions! The author uses Systems Thinking, Lean, Lean Startup, TPS and Theory of Constraints to create a great framework and process to understand how your product/business model is growing and tractioning in the market. I specially liked the first part of the book, where Ash explores the critical metrics you need to understand and that you, investors and stakeholders should focus.
Kait
Mar 13, 2016 added it
Scaling Lean has great information! I'm currently about half way through. I'm really loving the chapter on Benchmarking Your Customer Factory; I am now responsible for an entire program area in a non-profit that hasn't been operated in over a year and a lot of these things are applicable as I'm setting a foundation. Definitely recommend. My copies getting a bit over tabbed!
Nacho Bassino
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, startup
Muy útil, claramente algo para releer. Modelos y ejemplos de como usarlos.
Samuel Cleophas
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: create
I recommend this book higher than any other book on business metrics.
Andrea Hill
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Aakash Aggarwal
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This is one of those super easy books to read that communicates only so much to give what it wants to give and nothing more can be demanded of it.

There are basically three models that are explained in this book - lean canvas, traction and customer factory. Terms such as TOC, customer throughput, throughput, monetizable value etc. are something that are inherently lean manufacturing concepts but they are mapped intelligently to scaling startups. Not much has been written about how to achieve tra
Moreno
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
Waste of time honestly.
A lot of empty phrases and no brainers as well as just plain wrong information. Someone who has been active in the business world for years should know that Facebook does not spend billions every month on hosting - with their 2015 revenue just short of six billion they'd be bankrupt within less than a year.

If you can't even get your facts straight (or at least not so obviously wrong) then don't expect me to believe your other statements.

Two stars since there are one or two
Outdoors Nerd
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A must read if your are using Lean Startup methodology in your new enterprise. If you aren't you should be, so read this book.

I found myself rereading but never finishing it. It took a concerted effort to study it and capture the process and actionable steps. Plenty of demonstrable wisdom in here, it just takes a lot of effort to extract it.

The tool and methodology assume you have successfully tested an MVP and have some indication of problem solution fit.
However don't wait for that stage to re
Ola Olusoga
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book, and one I’ll be re reading + recommending to people in the future.

The book answers “what’s next?” after building an MVP, and validating a PMF (all outlined in his previous book, running lean)

Highly recommend if you’re looking for answers to questions like:

- how do I scale?
- what metrics should I focus on?
- how do I calculate ... (LTV, CAC)
- how to address, and grow off constraints

Tim Nowotny
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A very practical book that wold hold even more power would I be working on a business idea right now.
This way I have only the theory to evaluate.

All in all I think it really is a strapped down, pragmatic approach to building a business and the didactic is solid.
Petr Augustin
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
First half is great. I love Ash's take on traction, constraints, cohorts and factory blueprint.
The second one was basically just a design sprint and UX validation. I like that the book contained practical tests you can do to check if you understand the chapter correctly.
Glenn Schmelzle
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like how many steps Ash breaks down into their smallest components. In the case of a meeting or a sales call, he even gives minute-by-minute list of talking points.
Aef Setiawan
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've finished reading this book and impactful to my own startup. I really recommend for all startup founder investing their time to read this
Alexandra Weiner
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Workbook style
Veejey Kapse
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good bood book for startup

Good clarity on startp business, entrepreneur can use this book for planning their businesses and strategy for growth & sustainablity
Nopadol Rompho
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: startup
This is another good book if you want to do startup. I personally like the book because they talked about metrics that are useful for startups to track.
Brendan Brooks
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Essential
Jason Nash
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read for all product managers

Not only does this combine constraints theory with agile and lean but makes you understand that for new products traction not revenue is your early measure of success. Gives you a real measure that matters. Very practical and hands on examples a how to for lean accounting thinking from startup way.
Khalid Sultan  Khalid
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Unlike many reviews here, I will focus on the takeaways from this book. Two main goals for this: I solidify key terms I learned, and help those who did not read the book get a glimpse of what the book is all about (we all have heard that phrase: don’t judge a book by its cover). So if you find a point catching your attention, feel free to grab the book and read it.

7 Takeaways:

- Traditional Accounting metrics and key performance indicators (KPI) like Revenue, Profit, and ROI are not helpful in e
Ko Matsuo
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a masterful follow up to Maurya's first book, Running Lean. He borrows the concept of identifying and minimizing constraints from supply chain theory and applies it to product development. It's a fascinating and useful insight in addressing the paradox that following metrics does not bring you any closer to understanding WHY things are happening. They only tell you WHAT is happening.

Maurya's insistence on repeatability over growth in the early stages of product launch is insightful, as w
Nguyen Phuc
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting read, with hand-on, mind-blowing new school of thought for scale estimation and startup cycle.
Christophe Addinquy
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lean-startup
That is an amazing book. Ash Maurya already produced a famous first one with "Running Lean", but this one is even better ! While his first text is about seeking a problem worth to be solved, this second one is about making it scale. The author is giving us the concept of "customer Factory", a sweet move from the pirate metrics. A book worth reading
Ma note de lecture en Français ici
Henry
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the absolute best book I have read about running a lean business. It is well presented, well written, simple and concise while still providing enough theory and practical application to offer a roadmap forward for any business owner.

I immediately implemented Ash's traction model in my own startup after reading this book.
Jiji
Jan 20, 2017 added it
Shelves: business, own
I am not rating it because it wasn't what I was expecting. But that's on me, not on the author.
I should have read The Lean Start Up or something else before.
I definitely keep it as a reference book and will come back to it from time to time.

ARC received for review.
Shavon
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is written like a textbook instead of a practice guide. Therefore it takes a long time to read. I thought it was well done though.
Mark Emeis
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read on growing your Lean Startup. I highly recommend.
Luke Tucker
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice and practical. I think Running Lean was better. But a good manual to reference.
Matt
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, one of the better better business books I've read in quite a while. Great job Ash.
Mel Pullen
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
A bit cookie cutter, if you've followed business model generation and created business model canvases.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Validating Product Ideas
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Monetizing Innovation: How Smart Companies Design the Product Around the Price
  • Think First: My No-Nonsense Approach to Creating Successful Products, Memorable User Experiences + Very Happy Customers
  • Scale: Seven Proven Principles to Grow Your Business and Get Your Life Back
  • Manage Your Project Portfolio
  • Build Better Products
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Intercom on Product Management
  • Product Design for the Web: Principles of Designing and Releasing Web Products
  • The Product Manager's Desk Reference
  • Innovation Thinking Methods for the Modern Entrepreneur: Disciplines of thought that can help you rethink industries and unlock 10x better solutions
  • Hacking Growth: How Today's Fastest-Growing Companies Drive Breakout Success
  • The Content Code: Six essential strategies to ignite your content, your marketing, and your business
  • The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
  • Startupland: How Three Guys Risked Everything to Turn an Idea Into a Global Business
  • Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
"Life's too short to build something nobody wants."

I have been an entrepreneur for more than a decade, and throughout that time I have been in search of a better, faster way for building successful products.

Then I ran into early works on Customer Development and Lean Startup pioneered by Steve Blank and Eric Ries. I joined in on the conversation and have been rigorously applying and testing these
“Love the Problem, Not the Solution.” 3 likes