Start by marking “The Count of Monte Cristo” as Want to Read:
The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo

(Manga Classics)

A Conspiracy and a miscarriage of justice turn the gentle Edmond Dantès into an implacable agent of fate: The Count of Monte Cristo . Obsessed by vengeance and empowered by providence, the Count avenges himself on whose who have wronged him - but is this justice, or is this hubris? In the end, does even the Count know?

Alexandre Dumas' skillful narrative combines intrigu
Paperback, Manga Classics, 401 pages
Published April 1st 2017 by Udon Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about The Count of Monte Cristo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Count of Monte Cristo

Start your review of The Count of Monte Cristo
[Shai] Bibliophage
This is the nth time that I've read a Manga Classics from that were published by Udon Entertainment. I still haven't the classic book of The Count of Mount Cristo and I didn't have the slightest idea about the story.
Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo
The original novel of Alexandre Dumas is a thousand-page book, hence it will take several days or weeks before I could finish reading it. However, through this adaptation, I was able to finish reading this classic story in just several hours. It's a great alternative
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite calssics and I read it long ago when I was in school. So to reminisce the delightful childhood memories, I read this classic manga and I wasn't disappointed. I loved the characetrs, the story and the art was also nicely done.

What I didn't like was they totally cut the part of Edmond's escape. As a child, this used to be my favorite part and it still is. So, I was a bit disappointed. A couple of more pages wouldn't have hurt.

I would recommend this
✨Bean's Books✨
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great rendition of this classic. And the artwork is absolutely beautiful. I'm looking forward to more from the Manga Classics series. ...more
San
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Manga adaptation of classic books is such a great idea!
As a huge fan of classic books I always wanted to read book ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’ but somehow I’ve never really decided to start it. Reading book that has more than 1000 pages and was written so long ago could be a challenge and I always was a little afraid to take it. So when I found out there is a manga adaptation of Alexandre Dumas’ novel, I was thrilled.
I’m sure that converting such enormous book into manga, which is a lot shorter,
Abbas Fardil
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
It's the manga adaptation of one of my favorite classics: The Count of Monte Cristo!
The Count of Monte Cristo Manga Classics by Alexandre Dumas

It’s an amazing work. The story adaptation is very nice. The illustrations are extraordinary. Espeically, the visualization of characters attracted me. Nokman Poon is the illustrator of this version. All of the characters are being look like alive. Suitable illustration according to the environment and story-line has made this awesome.

Thanks to NetGalley for the arc.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of those classics I'd been meaning to read forever, but never seemed to get around to. When I saw it was available as one of the Manga Classics re-imaginings, I was pretty excited, as these renditions always make the classics a little easier for me to get through; they tell the same story in a condensed version, and the art is always so lovely and fun to read through.

Thankfully, this was no exception, and was actually one of my favorites yet as far as the artwork
Nicole
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, graphic
Manga Classics: Count of Monte Cristo!!! First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

It took me quite a long time to finish this Manga, it wasn't really the stories fault, more my own. First I had a bit of a reading slump, then I forgot to pick it up again. But I finished it today. And I truly enjoyed the story.

I LOVE a good revenge story, not going to lie. Granted, sometimes the revenger can go a little bit too far, people react differently and really bad things happen that he
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
This adaptation of Alexandre Dumas’s novel ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’ was excellent. The visualization of the characters and plot made it so easy to follow and enjoy 1200+ pages in the condensed Manga version with the right trimmings. Therefore, the primary focus here was the story of the Count, how he came to be and his revenge plans.

Young Edmond Dantes had a lot going for himself in 1815. He was to become the new captain of a ship, marry his fiancé and save his father from poverty with his ne
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
I love this Manga Classic adaptations!
I've read Jane Eyre and Pride and prejudice, two of my favourite books, and I found them almost perfect. But this manga of The Count of Monte Cristo is my first aproach to this liteature classic, so I can't tell if it's a great adaptation or not. I found no difficulty with the story, which of course is great (it's a classic for some reason!). I knew the story and I became hooked since page one. And the art is beautiful! With not too much detail but with move
human
Thank you to Netgalley and Manga Classics Inc. for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This Manga Classics edition of 'The Count of Monte Cristo' was immersive and fun. While the original book is incredibly long, this version of the story manages to keep it short but detailed. With an intriguing story and detailed art, I would definitely recommend this to others who enjoyed the original book, enjoy this format or other Manga Classics, or are looking for something new.
Carol Flores
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, netgalley
4.5/5
I’ve been wanting to read this classic for a couple of years now but I must be honest, I got intimidated by the +1000 pages that the original work has, so as soon as I saw that there was a manga adaptation, I just had to read it!

The story begins with a young Edmond Dantés, a guy who’s about to become the captain of a ship. Life’s been good to him, unfortunately, three men are jealous of his good fortune and on his wedding day, they deceive important people and they turn him to the police. E
palina
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
4.5/5

This was honestly such a good fun read, one of the better books I’ve read in a while.
I hadn't read the full book and i was generally unaware of the majority of the plot beforehand but i think this version does a really good job of giving the major plot points, and focusing specifically on the count’s account. The only issue that I had was that sometimes the politics and motivations of the side characters were a little unclear but that’s a given in such a shortened down version.

I thorough
Alexandra
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The rich story of Count de Monte Cristo comes to life in this amazing manga, with rich drawings, long detailed plot and many deep emotions. I didn't expect the ending since I've watched the movies but I did like it very much!
Maritina Mela
*3.75/5

This is the classic story of a good man who is falsely accused and imprisoned on the day of his wedding, only to escape many years later, having become smarter, richer and having constructed a revenge scheme.

I enjoyed this one very much. It was very well written and beautifully illustrated.

But it wasn't without its faults.

I know this is a manga adaptation of a book that is around 900 pages long and sometimes you can tell that things have been left out because they had to save time. It d
Licha
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, manga
Really enjoyed reading this but must definitely read the original. I don't know how the two compare but I liked it enough to get the basics of what the story is. It gets 3 stars because I find manga to be somewhat impersonal and hard to get a feeling for. ...more
Geoff
Sep 10, 2020 rated it liked it
The first of the Manga Classics I've read where it was clear that they had cut material (they had to - the penguin edition of the book is over 1200 pages!), but they captured the essence of the melodrama, riches, revenge, machinations, and ultimate redemption story. The art didn't wok for me as much here - something about the characters was lifeless and generic. But overall a fun manga read.

**Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
josephine
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, manga
5 stars!

I knew I would love this! 😁

I haven't read the original The Count of Monte Cristo, but from the reviews of those who have this is a really good rendition of it, staying true to the original and not leaving important details out. I, for one, have no complaints. I didn't feel confused at any point, but felt like I did understand the story as it developed well enough.

Dantes and his plot for vengeance was awesome. I loved this story, and was rooting for Dantes all the way through. Oh, and the
Silvia Rodriguez
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Count of Monte Cristo, manga style. I never thought I would find something like this, basically because I always thought mangas where some Japanese comics you read from backward to forward, which an inconvenience from my point of view. Mangas never brought my attention but this one did. I had The Count of Monte Cristo novel with me for years but I was always unable to start it, scared of its size (around a thousand pages in Spanish, my native language), its author, its plot with a huge histo ...more
Sesana
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, adaptation
I think this is the best Manga Classic adaptation yet. It helps that the original novel is a highly dramatic and very cool story, so there's something nice and meaty to work with. This is, I think, where The Jungle Book fell down for me: not enough interesting happens. With The Count of Monte Cristo, there's betrayals and blackmails and murder on almost every page. It's awesome. There's obviously been a fair bit trimmed. This is about 400 pages, and an unabridged English translation of the origi ...more
Whitney
Apr 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reviews
**Thank you to Netgalley and UDON Entertainment for the eArc in exchange for an honest review. This in no way changed my rating**

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books. It's one of the few Classics I've read more than once and enjoyed. It's HUGE and a very complex story, interweaving multiple plot lines and characters conflicts into the story of Edmond Danté's revenge. Knowing the text is well over 1,000 pages, I was intrigued to see how they would be able to adapt this into a man
Jordanne
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you have read the Count of Monte Cristo, you obviously don't need me to give an overview of the plot, if you haven't then what the hell are you doing reading reviews on this book? Go and read the original. Now. It's amazing and you will not appreciate this book or the story unless you have read it. And not the abridged version, the whole 1300 page monster.

The Count of Monte Cristo is easily my favourite classic novel - perha
Loren
Jul 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Controversial opinion: as an English teacher, I tried to slog through the actual text, but the manga was so much more engaging.
CYIReadBooks (Claire)
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
My first Manga and I loved it. A concise version of the classic book and it highlights the important aspects of the story.

A great first Manga for me.
Dini - dinipandareads
4.5 stars.

The Count of Monte Cristo is a classic that I've been meaning to read but have always been too intimidated to actually pick up, so when I saw this manga I immediately jumped on it! Surprisingly I realised I didn't really know the specifics of the story when I started reading it and since I haven't read the novel I also can't attest to how well the manga actually adopts the classic. I do however know that it's a fairly chunky text and I have no doubt that it has some very complex plot l
Roopkumar Balachandran
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
My rating 5 Stars.

Basically I am a comic book lover, first time I am reading a Manga. I have not read The Count of Monte Cristo book when it was available for review in Net galley I picked it up.

The graphic novel “The Count Of Monte Cristo” is 401 pages long, a classic tale of Alexandre Dumas adapted to Manga the art work by Nokman Poon and story adaption by Crystal S.Chan.

From the blurb
"A conspiracy and a miscarriage of justice turn the gentle Edmond Dante's into an implacable agent of fate:
Emily Wilson
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two of my favorite things in one: classic literature and manga!
I received a few digital editions of UDON Entertainment’s manga adaptations of classics.

First of all, I think it’s important to note and acknowledge the mechanical team behind the manga. Starting with the art! The work and details are impressive. The artist of this adaptation is Nokman Poon. They have also worked on other manga adaptations as well, and I am really excited to see more of their work! The story was adapted by Crystal S.
Mina
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was curious to see how one of my favorite books can be "squeezed" into a manga novel. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised.
Lovely illustrations, they managed to keep the spirit of the original Dumas in a completely new format. Before anyone asks, no it is not comparable to the book itself, which I would always recommend reading, but it is a brilliant way for those who aren't familiar with this amazing book, to become new fans. It's a classic for a reason and with good merit. I'm glad it was gi
Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ...
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books so I was a little worried about whether this would live up to my expectations. It did! The artwork is very good, and I believe this could introduce this treasured classic to a new audience. The book is very accessible in this format, and I think many will read it because it is a "comic" but they will find they want to read the original because of it. Wonderful! ...more
Sophie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
A manga that strays far from the original story and takes away many of its charm. Characters have far less depth and complexity than in the Dumas books.
I wasn't very impressed by the drawing style either and the far-from-historical clothes, behaviours and items.

I'd still recommend it for people looking for escapism and a fast-paced action.
Susan
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2020, manga
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an arch of this book.

I think they did a fantastic job in condensing the brilliant classic into a manga. I really enjoyed it and I didn't feel it took anything away from the classic. This is a brilliant way to get people more engaged (especially those who love manga) into these classics.

4 stars

• More Than Just a Pretty Face
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Le sorelle Brontë
  • Brindille
  • Foretold (The Scryers, #1)
  • Lore
  • Villainous
  • Freiheit!: The White Rose Graphic Novel
  • Marsupilami: The Beast
  • This Eternity of Masks and Shadows
  • Beauty and the Beast of Paradise Lost, Vol. 1
  • Nina the Starry Bride, Vol. 1
  • Haru's Curse
Hi there! I'm a Toronto-based writer and editor who works in both prose and graphic novel formats, usually for younger readers.

My current projects include:

Dungeons and Dragons Young Adventurer's Guides - introducing new players to the classic role-playing game through amazing new artwork and streamlined prose.

Manga Classics - faithful adaptations of western literary classics with Japanese-style ar

Manga Classics (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Les Misérables
  • The Jungle Book
  • The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

News & Interviews

This collection is short, sweet and to-the-point. Below we have collected the most popular 2021 books as sorted by your fellow readers'...