Start by marking “When You Cross That Line” as Want to Read:
When You Cross That Line

When You Cross That Line

A chapbook flash fiction collection inspired by Florida Man stories.
Chapbook, 41 pages
Published by There Will Be Words

Bud Smith
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the story about the guy with the samurai sword, best. Some other real jewels in this book. Most of them about animals whether they are animals slipped out of the everglade or humans slipped out of the trailer park. All in all, this chap as a whole is really wonderfully done. The design and layout and the story selection, even the paper that's used. As for the author, Sam Slaughter has a knack for tight writing, level headed, and he speaks here time and time in the familiar tones of Hemin ...more
Steph Post
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sam Slaughter hits the mark here with his rough-edged, quirky-at-times, but brilliantly composed short stories. If this collection is an indicator of what Sam Slaughter has in store for us with future books, then we all need to stand back and watch the fireworks. Here is an up and coming author to put on your radar and be sure to be the first in line for.
Paul Beckman
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Paul by: Friend
This is one of those "Big things . . .Small Packagages" deals people talk about. Slaughter's the real deal and these five stories in this Prized winning chapbook collection prove it. "When You Cross That Line" the book title and first story alone is worth the price of admission. Set in Florida it's written in the vein of Jim Thompson or Thomas Berger where the main character, minding his own business, is confronted by evil in the guise of implied threats escalating to real potential mayhem. I sw ...more
Kenny Lane
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this collection over coffee one Saturday morning this summer. If the caffeine hadn't jolted me to life, Sam Slaughter's stories would have done the job. Slaughter has a knack here for capturing the nature of the Florida Man phenomenon with flash fiction that is at once ludicrous and grounded—just like Florida itself. He punctuates unsettling realities with humor in a way that makes you wish there was more once the stories are through. For that very reason, I excitedly anticipate what he'l ...more
Brian Alan Ellis
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sam Slaughter gives us an all too brief but bittersweet look into the troubled lives of Florida’s finest. We got crazy old men swinging samurai swords, bears (alligators, maybe? Can't recall) eating people, dudes getting into fistfights at Applebee’s, and other tales of ordinary madness via the sunshine state. Definite Harry Crews-cum-Raymond Carver vibe happening which makes the stories go down like a cold beer on a hot day. Got my eye on this Slaughter guy, for sure.
S.W. Gordon
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this hors d'oeuvre of flash fiction, Sam Slaughter offers a delightful taste that leaves the reader hungry for more. With a hint of Denis Johnson and a sprinkle of Flannery O'Connor, Slaughter's stories capture the full flavor of Florida in all it's bizarre richness. Eat up!

(I ordered this chapbook from Powell's Book Store online for $5 and there were only two copies left of the original print run of 215)
David
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if it's from a somewhat nightmare vacation long ago as my main experience with Florida, but I do have a certain "Florida Man" obsession and was really ready for these stories. How could I not dig them? Always seeing headlines and thinking there must be a story there. Slaughter found those stories, writing in tight, clean lines, managing to work in some good surprise now and then. It's some good writing. This is a very short little book, but still a satisfying and engaging one.
Sam Slaughter
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book, so in order for it to not show up on my "To-Read" shelf, I've acknowledged that I've read it. While I am in love with the book, obviously, you should take my review with a grain of salt (the rest of which should be rimming a margarita). I recommend you read it, however, and let me know what you think.
B.A. East
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The short line-up of characters in Sam Slaughter’s collection lead lives you’d rather not lead yourself, and therein lies the charm.

The unnamed narrator of When You Cross That Line is moving to Florida when he has a run-in with an alligator salesman. The episode turns from odd to ugly, leaving the narrator in search of a swamp, hopeless of finding normalcy in his new adoptive state.

Next James and Grunt get out their power equipment to take care of a facial tattoo, and later the sword-wielding Mr
Robert Vaughan
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely chapbook from There Will Be Words, Sam Slaughter's first and it's a great entry into his work. Highly original, and compressed fiction, I really loved the story about the samurai best of all. These five stories are fun, and leave you wanting to read more of Slaughter's work. He is a writer to watch, and check out his writing in online journals, also.
Ryan Blacketter
Jul 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Millennial blogger needs to slow down and consider each line. Revision is essential to writing. But try telling this to a Millennial.
Allen Batts