Start by marking “Yonder (A Southern Haunting #1)” as Want to Read:
Yonder  (A Southern Haunting #1)

Yonder

(A Southern Haunting #1)

Summoned by the news of her dying father, Isabel Delilah Jones escapes from New York City, broken hearted and disillusioned, back to her small Mississippi town. She is welcomed smack dab into a bizarre inheritance, a complex war for her affection between two former best friends, a dire haunting from an unknown child, and a deadly mystery that only she can solve.

Yonder is t
ebook
Published June 5th 2015 by BookBaby (first published May 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Yonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yonder

Marcia
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky to have won this book from goodreads.com. I was drawn into it from the start and really resented having to put it down. Isabel see a ghost on her 10th birthday and something terrible happens to her on every birthday afterwards. Her mother dies and her older brother flees their home by enlisting in the army. Her father becomes meaner and she runs away to NYC on her eighteenth birthday. Years later on another birthday she is called home when her father is dying. Her father's will is bi ...more
Nerdish Mum
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-2015
I was lucky enough to receive an e-book copy of Yonder (A Southern Haunting #1) direct from the author LeeAnne Hansen in exchange for an honest review.

Before I get into my review proper, I would just like to say that I think I have found one of my favourite quotes ever, on page 45 the main character Isabel says "There's nothing like the smell of old books. They smell like memories" This is just such a true statement, I think I'm actually going to make myself a bookmark with this on it.

The book i
Niknak71
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
It is so hard trying to write a review of Yonder without giving any spoilers but I will do my best. You are best reading this story with no idea of where it might take you
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book, is it a romance? Or a Ghost story? Or something else? All I can tell you is to let go of any expectations, let the story take you by the hand and lead it where it will........
I absolutely loved this book, the author weaves a beautiful, bittersweet story of childhood dreams, he
Patricia Romero
I received this book in return for an honest review.
As a southern girl, born and raised in Georgia, but then lived 13 years in Mississippi, coming to Oklahoma from Hurricane Katrina, I saw the author was from Oklahoma at one time, and thought, wow what a coincidence, I should read this.
It was everything I hoped it would be. A good Southern ghost story with lots of mystery, intrigue, and romance. Poor Isabel Jones has not had much luck with birthdays. Each one seems to be worse than the last. Wi
Kathy
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very interesting. Not what I usually read but it was really good. Definitely a Southern ghost story!
I loved the characters with all of their flaws and secrets and their dysfunction relationships. Reminded me of a lot of people I know! LOL! I believe there is a second book coming with a different couples story. I will have to keep my eyes out for it.
Linda Lou
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story takes place in the heart of the Deep South in Mississippi from just before the Great Depression to the rumors of WWII. It opens with "snapshots" of Isabel's 10th, 14th, 16th, 18th and 26th birthdays. To Isabel, these birthdays were memorable; but not in a good way. The stage is set and has put into motion the drama and mystery that is about to unfold.

On her 26th birthday, Isabel receives a phone call telling her to "Come home." There was so much static on the phone that she wasn't sur
LeeAnne Hansen
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Tracy Slowiak for Readers' Favorite

Can you say love? That’s the way I felt about the novel Yonder, the newest offering by author LeeAnne Hanson. Set in pre-WWII Southern Mississippi, this story is the perfect balance of spooky, romantic, fun and heartwarming, and I truly could not have enjoyed it more. In it we find Isabel Delilah Jones, newly returned from New York City to be with her father while he is dying. Dealing with heartbreak of her own, she finds herself also needing to fi
Jody Ellis
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hansen, what a curiosity you have written. At first I didn't like it at all. The main character wasn't likeable at all. Then as the story developed I liked then loved.

Where I thought we had a Southern Plantation version of Twilight, we ended up with a perfectly set romance where the leading lady thankfully picked the right man.

As far as haunting goes, there is very little. It certainly is more about love than a good fright.

The next book is from another characters perspective. Would I read it?
Marichus Real
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a gifted copy by Story Cartel in exchange for an honest review.
The first time I came across this book on Story Cartel I couldn’t get it so the second time I grabbed it as fast as I could and I must admit I don’t regret it at all.
This is the story of Isabel and her miserable birthdays. From her tenth birthday on something happened that ruined her birthdays. On her 26th birthday, her father passed away and she had to go back home where the past caught up with her.
Funny, sad, scary and
(not your)
I love a good gothic romance and Southern gothic is even better. Unfortunately Yonder is less gothic and more romance with a stray ghost and some thunder and lightning. Yonder is the story of Isabel Jones’ dramatic return to Mississippi upon the death of her father. Isabel returns to face past ghosts, past romances and past hurts. Slightly formulaic and lacking depth, Yonder has some exciting moments and is well written, but is strictly for light reading.
Chloe
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a lovely lovely story. I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this from the author in return for an honest review.

The characters are all so likeable, with their real life secrets, and how open their emotions are. They story itself is enthralling, unpredictable (to a certain extent) and so easy to follow.
Christina
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First things first, I love Izzy and Benjamin being together, I knew he always loved her. Now back to your regular scheduled programming...lol

This southern mystery is full of charm and romance as well as twists and turns.. I just didn't know what to expect next...
I loved it and I'm definitely looking forward to the next book.
Deena Algharabally
My favourite era stretching from the 1920s to the 1940s. Set in USA in the south where love, hardships, secrets and mystery occur. If you ever want to be romanced and spooked at the same time, this book is for you.
Another Thyme
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good one from author LeeAnne Hansen! A strong, intensely likeable heroine, plot twists to delight any reader, this book is the perfect read for any fan of spooky tales. Deliciously satisfying!
Laura Hermosa
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recived a free copy from Storycartel in exchange of my review. I just love this book. I was drawn into it from the start until the end. It is full of romance, mistery, humor: make you travel on time to that time of the story it is very well set.
Afroj Chandra
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Afroj by: booktips.com
Yonder is one of the few books which I found difficult to leave until finished. I've loved the twists and turns in the story and specially the way the author revealed the mystery. I find this book more than worth to read despite a few odd things that can be easily overlooked..
Sa
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books where the blurb is much better than the actual story.

*Spoilers*

The mystery of the sweet, scared ghost child was shoved aside for more important matters like a freaking love quadrangle.At one point it seemed like one MORE person, Eve, was gonna be squished in there!

All the characters are three dimensional and evoke sympathy at one point or the other but mostly they irritate.

Isabel loves, what, THREE men?Like, really?

So Ben has always loved Isabel (this one love is the
Zena
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've still got goosebumps and the hair on my neck is standing at attention .... WOW! Talk about being haunted!
This book has it all - haunting, murder, mysteries a-plenty, twisted romances, an evil father, a crazy mother, a little boy lost, really amazing characters and a well-told story.
This is the kind of book that will keep you reading or listening and eager to find out what will happen in the end.
I loved everything about it including the narration of the audiobook. Not only does LeeAnne do a
Ed Davis
I sorry to say that I listened to this book instead of reading it. I’m sure if I hadn’t had to to suffer through the amateurish reading by the author that I would have given this book 5 Stars. This was a great story, but I always read two books at a time. I read one and listen to the other. I bought this book from audible so I had to listen to it. I’m certainly going to read the sequel because I want to know about Charles and Samantha. However, I still cringe when I think of listening to LeeAnne ...more
Deedra
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book.Isobel has had no luck on her birthday,ever.When her mothr dies she is left with a father who just wants her out of the way.She has two boys in her life from an early age.They both decide they want her and it never seems to work out.Oh and there is a ghost boy who shows up when Isobel is in trouble.It is a twisted tale of family and murder narrated nicely by the author.“I was voluntarily provided this free review copy audiobook by the author, narrator, or publisher.”
DubaiReader
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, 2017, boom
Bad birthdays.
I hadn't expected to enjoy this audiobook as much as I did. Although it was a bit slow to get going, it built throughout to a skillful ending. I was glad I was listening to the audiobook, excellently narrated by the author.

Set during the build-up to WWII, the scene is set to follow Isabel Delilah Jones through a number of catastrophic birthdays and the fall-out from these dismal celebrations.
After the death of her mother, she is raised by a tyrannical father and runs away on her ei
Stephanie Fischer
Captivating Read

I think LeaAnne Hansen has done it again. Another captivating story with some mystery and intrigue. I think she has a thing for ghost stories, but I don’t mind. A love triangle, miserable birthdays and paranormal aspects make it all so believable. It feels as though it is a part of history for this small Southern town and not a fiction book. It is so well-written that I was immediately captivated by the story and enjoyed how Hansen brought everything to life in my mind. I had to
Nia Ireland
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read LeeAnne Hansen's first book Ghost Light earlier this year and it made quite an impression on me, she has a gift for capturing the atmosphere and surroundings for ghost stories and keeping the suspense going all the way to the end.
My favourite thing about LeeAnne's books however is her characters, you can tell that she knows each one inside and out. She shares this knowledge and fondness with you and you can intensely feel everything her characters do throughout - there's never a single ch
Kaitlyn
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
This book had a little bit of everything for me. It had romance, history, spook, and mystery. The best part about it was that the author wrote the book so well that I felt like I was actually there. The book was provided for me through audible. I usually am not a fan of "listening" to books, but after this book I have definitely changed my mind. LeeAnne Hansen definitely has a voice for audio books and I really enjoyed l
Sabrina
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Birthdays are supposed to be the best day of our year, right? The one day where our wishes come true while surrounded by those we love... for Isabel, her "series of miserable birthdays" plagues her from childhood into adulthood. Whether it be through a serial haunting by a mysterious young boy or unrequited love, she becomes as increasingly sympathetic protagonist as we go through the snapshots of her life along with her and her three companions.

Fast forward to Isabel now in her 20s living in N
Maria Rivas-mc
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author created some really interesting characters -a self-centred drama queen, a kind boy who grew into a compassionate young man, a rich somewhat selfish boy who turned out to be less so on both counts, a southern vamp and a wicked father. Sad, little Eli who floats through the story is a mystery that became an obsession to be solved. This apparently sweet story set in the United States south in the early part of the 20th century has a definite underlay of violence and sorrow.

The climax to
Maria
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read Ghost Light by this author and loved it. The author takes the reader back to a time of Agatha Christie meets Susan Hill a traditional story of lives in the American South each telling their own story down the years with subtle twists and turns that you know somehow will be linked you're just not sure how.
The main character Isabel appears to being haunted. ...or is she...is she being warned. ..
I read late into the early hours on many occasion just to find out what that latest piece
Sue
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this free in exchange for an honest review.
It was a little different to my normal reading, which is something I have been aiming for, so took a short while to settle into. But once I did I really enjoyed it. The four star rating may be a little unfair as I found listening a little difficult at times, often becoming distracted. So that's not the fault of the writer, but still I was asked to review. I also had trouble with the accent occasionally. Whilst an enchanting accent, to my U.K
Angel
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
First of all. I didn't take 2 months to read it because it was boring, because it was not at all. I just got busy doing other things as well.

I don't know where to start. Hmmmm.
- I saw paranormal, mystery and romance all in one.
- Ghost Elli didn't show up much throughout the story. I was anxious to find out who the little boy ghost was.
- I was curious to see who Isabel chose-Charles or Benjamin.
- I wanted to know who got what in T.J's will.
There was a lot of twist and turns in the story. Su
R.J. Groves
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in the 1940's in Mississippi, "Yonder" tells a story that is intriguing, entertaining, romantic, mysterious and chilling when Isabel returns to her childhood home to find two of her old friends fighting for her affection and the mysterious appearances of a small child.
LeeAnne Hansen has found a perfect balance between descriptions, details, characters, and mystery. This story had me on the edge of my seat, eager to know what twist she was going to write next. I honestly couldn't put it down

• Challenge Accepted (Gamer Girls, #2)
  • Beyond the Cabin
  • Weeping Under This Same Moon
  • How to Bake a Man
  • Alibi's Ghosts, The Larger-Than-Life Small World of a Medium's Daughter
  • It's Not Too Late for Therapy
  • The 5 Moons of Tiiana (The Chronicles of Rez Cantor, #1)
  • Shadows Remain
  • Never Seen (Shadows, #1)
  • Lost &  Found  (Daisy Dunlop Mystery, #2)
  • Escape in Time: Miri's Riveting Tale of Her Family's Survival During World War II
  • Haven House
  • Love Runs Deep (Changing Tides, #1)
  • The People in the Rickety House
LeeAnne Hansen was born in Paris, grew up in Oklahoma and now lives in sunny southern California with her husband and cats. She enjoys writing, acting and playing bass guitar. She can be seen gracing the stage in various theaters or even directing. She is a graduate of the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York City and has studied art and astronomy. She also thoroughly enjoys long walk ...more