Start by marking “27 Fiction Writing Blunders - And How Not To Make Them!” as Want to Read:
27 Fiction Writing Blunders - And How Not To Make Them!

27 Fiction Writing Blunders - And How Not To Make Them!

Sell more books and build your career by kicking these blunders to the curb! Ever wonder why some books shoot to the top of the bestseller lists? And others that you think should, don't? It's usually a matter of mistakes that could have been avoided! #1 bestselling writing coach James Scott Bell has analyzed thousands of manuscripts over the years, by both new and experien ...more
Published June 22nd 2015 by Compendium Press

Be the first to ask a question about 27 Fiction Writing Blunders - And How Not To Make Them!

Riley Graham
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
I think the fact that I devoured this book in one sitting and then proceeded to buy two more of Bell's craft books on the same night pretty much speaks for itself. I like long, meaty books on writing, but sometimes you just need a quick pick-me-up, and this is exactly what this book did for me. There's solid advice on just about everything from getting the writing juices flowing to handling backstory and dialogue. And even though I've read several books on writing and have taken a couple of pret ...more
Thiago d'Evecque
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: escrita
Reúne 27 conselhos do que não fazer ao escrever ficção. Pra quem já leu outros livros do autor, esse é mais um lembrete, um resumo do que ele acredita e ensina.

Recomendo pra quem não tem costume de ler livros de escrita e quer algo rápido e objetivo. Como qualquer obra, sempre tem alguns pontos bem legais pra quem procura.
Kay Hudson
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I always get something new (or finally recognize something I should have understood long ago) whenever I read Bell's handbooks. This one is no exception. Lots of good points about craft, a few suggestions about life as a writer, and tips on getting started with Scrivener. Something for any writer.
Wendy Bunnell
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a 2019 reading goal to read 24 books on the craft or business of writing fiction, or about writing in general. That's a pace of two each month, as I've accumulated a bunch of craft books and have only read cover-to-cover several of them. Granted, some are set up as a thesaurus, which aren't meant to read like a novel, as they have sections with word choice recommendations for different emotions (or other lists - I have a romance writers thesaurus with a whole section on euphemisms). But, ...more
Eldon Farrell
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is amazing how much valuable information is packed into such a small number of pages. I flew through this book not wanting to put it down; I just had to know what each blunder was and how many of them I've made! As it turned out...I've made a few. But the point Bell makes is that every author does a few mistakes.

That's why a book such as this is so important to any writer out there who's interested in improving their craft. Bell provides easy to understand examples and lays it all out, often
Carbunkle Flux
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This does exactly what it says on the cover. I didn't expect any less, but I might have expected a little more.

A lot of his advice is more basic advice for fledgling writers--which is fine, mind you--so it didn't have as much to offer me as I hoped. I've read enough writing books that I know all the basic tips already.

That said, it still had valuable advice. Whether it be new looks at familiar issues, or examples and demonstrations of the problem. One thing I really like that James does, is take
Thomas Edmund
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A relatively quick read, Bell provides a succinct and easy-to-read summary of some key areas to your on your manuscript. While perhaps not as thorough as your typical 'masterclass' type book or as deep an meaningful as other successful authors' 'On Writings' Bell does provide some clear practical tips to get you through writing a project.

Bell's prose is easy to grasp and not-overblown he has a way of making tricky concepts straightforward and his advice is invaluable for beginners or old-hands.
De Jarous
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A few gems for the writer.

This book is packed with gems for all writers. But that's just why I gave it three stars. What was in it for me was great. However, I didn't need about 13 of those. I was looking for straight writing gems, applicable to my penmanship, not towards my attitude about writing. Although, do understand that I love all of Bell's books that I've read. I just have to give an honest review of this one. A must-read is Dazzling Dialogue.
Gabriella Campbell
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excelente y ameno resumen de algunos de los problemas más comunes en estilo y contenido en la escritura de ficción. Se agradecen los ejemplos y los ejercicios prácticos. Un libro muy interesante para escritores a todos los niveles.
Jolene Cazzola
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I'm a new author. I've been reading all kinds of books professing to help a novice increase their writing ability, but this is by far, the best one yet. It's full of great examples showing how to apply the techniques he lays out in the book. I highly recommend it!
Carol Cram
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciate Bell's how to books. I always learn something new and get inspired to improve my own fiction.
Scott Hildreth
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book contains the warning signs on the writing journey

The 27 blunders in this book cover a multitude of sins.

You will do well to consider them. You will be a better writer.
Stella Budrikis
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-related
Here are plenty of good suggestions for fiction writers, and even non-fiction writers, all plainly stated and told with humour and brevity. Five of the chapters are more to do with the writing life than writing technique, for instance, how to deal with fear. I thought the next-to-last chapter on "strength of will" would have made a better ending than the actual final chapter on "bland minor characters". Otherwise, a good basic introduction to the topics covered.
Christopher Armani
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining and educational read. Love his books on the craft.
Deana
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy, enjoyable, educational read for practicing writers.
Christopher Oelerich
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Concise,
Catherine
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
James Scott Bell has built an industry around giving advice to writers. This book is a short sample of some of his advice, delivered in small bites. It's all wonderful, useful stuff. It might be a great place to start to get a taste for how he thinks—on the other hand, it might not be a necessary read if you own one of his longer, more detailed books. Still, I love dipping into things like this as a periodic reminder of advice to keep at the top of mind while writing.
Eileen Copeland
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great one from James Scott Bell

Encouraging, practical, and filled with helpful ideas. My takeaway--don't stop writing. Never quit! Inspiring words from someone who sincerely wants to help writers.
A.M.
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, i-own
I saw James Scott Bell in a recent Joanna Penn video interview. He said he wrote an article for a writing site on what not to do and then thought of several other things he had missed out. That’s the genesis of this book.
So for some readers, it may seem familiar. I hadn’t read any of his other books but this one is gold.
He not only says what NOT to do, he gives concrete easily understood examples from books, films and writing samples.
I do love taking easy
Leanne Hunt
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: indie-publishing
I found this book motivating and helpful. It doesn’t rehash the same old tips that one finds in many self-help books on writing and publishing. Rather, one feels that the writer knows what he is talking about and really wants to pass on some gems of knowledge to aspiring authors.

I enjoyed all the chapters, but one particularly stood out to me. The chapter about being in the doldrums had some choice suggestions, including remembering to be grateful for the basics—like the fact that you can type,
Kira Gold
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-on-writing
This book had some good points, and I like the way the author shows problematic samples and the shows ways to fix them, but there are some places that felt like fill, like the dietary advice or the section on how to interact with other authors.
I did get a bit turned off at the occasional glib derisive comment. For example, "If you don't have calluses on your soul, this isn't for you. Take up knitting instead."
Not so cool, for so many reasons.
I thought his Plot & Structure was much better.
Elle Fielding
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, writing
I learned several things while reading this book that will stick with me. It's easy to take what I've learned through my years of writing for granted, to assume I don't need a refresher on the simple mistakes newer writers make. Sometimes, however, it's good to go back to basics. Sometimes strength can be found there, and weaknesses can be exposed. I liked how Bell took these blunders, which should be 'old information', and gave them a fresh and exciting spin.

Karen
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
For you aspiring writers out there, I do recommend this book. Especially if you have those pesky little sections that aren't quite working and you can't put your finger on exactly why. It has given me some new approaches at coming at scenes which I have been struggling with. I give this book a definite thumbs up!
Lisa Harp
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and Easy to Read

I loved the organization and easy to use ideas. This book was great for a brush-up in writing or an actual tutorial. I liked the examples and they caused me to think about what I was doing with my own writing. Thanks so much for all of the tips and ideas!
Michael Murphy
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Always something worthwhile in Bell's books (I actually laughed at his comment about, to paraphrase a bit: "even a ficus tree can make money self publishing - you're not going to get beat out by a ficus tree, are you???"). He does have a tendency to repeat himself from book to book, but well worth it for the price.
Susy Flory
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Succinct and golden

I love Bell's writing and his honest, clipped intensity. He's opening up his own game book and sharing some writing gold and I can sum up the message of this book in five words--don't screw up your novel. Highly recommended for new and experienced writers.
Laura McClure
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be so helpful to me as I was making the blunders he was talking about. I could not put this book down. I finished it in one sitting and I hope that other fiction writers that are just starting out as I am will read this book. It is my bible for fiction writing.
Andy
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
A solid rundown of things most likely to go wrong in the early works of an amateur writer. Definitely one of the few books that will remain on my Kindle to be reread whenever I've got writer's block.
Elizabeth Maddrey
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
good info, but much is retreads from his previous books. love his writing teaching, but will have to be a bit more careful to check if there's a majority of new info before buying what's next.
Eric Wright
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: about-writing, kindle
From one to twenty-seven, Bell gives writers an excellent overview of what to do and not do to make one's writing readable, interesting and saleable. Well done.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
  • The Word-Loss Diet
  • Characterization and Sensory Detail (Writing Active Setting #1)
  • Structuring Your Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Building Strong and Successful Stories
  • The Secrets of Story: Innovative Tools for Perfecting Your Fiction and Captivating Readers
  • The 12 Key Pillars of Novel Construction: Your Blueprint for Building a Strong Story (The Writer's Toolbox Series)
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Story Physics: Harnessing the Underlying Forces of Storytelling
  • Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Storycraft: The Complete Guide to Writing Narrative Nonfiction
  • How to Write a Dynamite Scene Using the Snowflake Method (Advanced Fiction Writing Book 2)
  • The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know
  • Polish Your Fiction: A Quick & Easy Self-Editing Guide
  • Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
Jim is a former trial lawyer who now writes and speaks full time. He is the bestselling author of Try Dying, No Legal Grounds, Presumed Guilty, Glimpses of Paradise, Breach of Promise and several other thrillers. He is a winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Inspirational Fiction, and was a fiction columnist for Writers Digest magazine. He has written two books in the Writers' Digest serie ...more
“Theme. It’s something a lot of writers don’t like to think about. It brings up painful memories of high school English class (“Write a 1,000 word essay on the theme of The Great Gatsby, and be sure to relate the green light on Daisy’s dock with the eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg. Due tomorrow.”)” 2 likes
“Don’t you love that? One of the greatest scientific innovations of all time just came to Townes as he was sitting on a bench in a park. And then he starts “scratching” it out on paper.” 1 likes