Start by marking “Once in a Lifetime” as Want to Read:
Once in a Lifetime

Once in a Lifetime

Leigh Sterling and Jodie Whitehouse share a deep love and extreme passion in the bedroom. But when Jodies desire for a child becomes inevitable, it clashes with Leighs career ambitions as well as with her lack of maternal instinct, and forces them apart.

They go through life separately and, as years go by, their attempts at other relationships fail to measure up to the
Published June 15th 2015 by Ladylit Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Once in a Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once in a Lifetime

Start your review of Once in a Lifetime
Corporate Slave
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh wow ! Emotional roller coaster! U move from being sad, to being angry, to getting emotional, to feeling somehow sexy :) , to going back to happy then sad then frustrated! The characters are very likeable, the story is very believable, and the connection they have is unbelievable! This was definitely a kick ass read! The only thing that I would've loved to see is some connections outside their bed :)
Jem
This is my first book from the author and it shows. While I know the author does erotic romances, I wasn't really sure what to expect. It's not obvious from the blurb but the main relationship in the book (Leigh/Jodie) is surprisingly, one of dominant/submissive. And not just the tame variety either. Neither is it just there for the titillation. Their attraction, or more aptly, their addiction to that aspect of their relationship forms the basis for the entire premise of the book.

After six
hubsie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This story was actually very well done, it was mature and thoughtful. It showed the deep growth of two people who broke up after 6 life altering years together, and spend the majority of the book apart trying to find their way back. I found their journeys quite compelling and the author did a very good job making me feel their heartache and emptiness. Though I didn't really like either MCs, I did find the reason for their breakup believable, and the author did a good job really letting us into ...more
M
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: l-books, romance
Well written but frustrating read. The whole 11 years apart seemed to really drag the story down given the massively quick conclusion. Although I did end up speed reading the last 2 chapters.

Just wanted to shout at Leigh to pull her head out of her arse. The kink was appropriately kinky, but I have to admit felt almost misplaced. Never really connected with either of the main characters.
Alexis
She did it again!

It's seldom that I read a book by Harper Bliss and am not blown away and this one is no different.

This book will take you on an emotional roller coaster that will leave you absolutely breathless, either because the sex scenes will make you gasp for breath or the heartbreaking scenes will have you sobbing uncontrollably.

I love how flawed these characters are, it only makes them more believable to me. If you're looking for something full of angst and super sexy, this is the book
Dee
As always when picking up a book by Harper Bliss I know its going to be beautifully written and evoke many emotions in me. Once in a Lifetime didnt disappoint in that aspect. However, just because I love her writing doesnt mean Im going to love every plotline or character.

This story is told in first person, present and past tense, and from both Leigh and Jodies point of views. Leigh is an awesome character; she was upfront from the get-go. Jodie had her head buried in the sand certain, given
Jen
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm surprised that Harper and I don't have a better relationship. While I do love a heartfelt romance with tons of feels I also appreciate authors who can write great sex. I think Harper has proven she can do that lol. I suppose my biggest issue with her is she usually writes short stories and I really prefer novels.

But, alas, here we are with her 2nd novel. I was drawn in with the promise of kink and that is definitely here. So if kink is not your thing I would suggest staying away.

The novel is
Tara
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved everything with Leigh and Jodie. The scenes where they had other partners didn't do a whole lot for me and I kind of wanted to skim to every scene with just the two of them. I also would have liked to see Leigh interacting with Rosie. Still good and the sex is great (unsurprising, since it's Harper Bliss). It's nice to read about kink that's not in an impossibly ridiculous club.
Heinerway
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting, very interesting book. I would gladly give 5 stars if not for the (for me) unnecessarily detailed scenes with other partners during the eleven year separation. All in all, a good mix of romance, angst and kinky sex.
Musa
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Refreshing arrangement. Normally novels start with describing how much the couple love each other before the heartbreak came, this book started with Leigh and Jodie's heartbreaking moment in ending their six years relationship. The superb writing and all the small details from the coffee mug that Jodie is gripping tight with her hands, to the one last hug they share absolutely tears at your heart. The alternated POV in my opinion worked great particularly in carving out the feelings in alternate ...more
Kent
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Harper with the promise of an honest review. Thank you Harper for expanding on the story of these wonderful characters. This story does start out a bit depressing, but that makes the ending that much more delightful. It is full of heartbreak and resilient love with just the right mix of very steamy, often kinky sex. I will be reading this very romantic story over and over.
Karen
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Talk about an emotional roller coaster full of love, sadness, and sex. I rather enjoyed the narrator of this one - Laura Jennings. In many ways I wish I read this one instead. Sensory overload for the I have never found myself rooting for two people in a romance like I did in this one. 4.5 stars
Ameliah Faith
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really Touching

Ms Bliss has such a way with her stories. I've not read one like this before. Jodie and Leigh have been madly in love and a couple for six years. Together they took part in raising Jodie's son. Jodie has always made it clear she wanted another child and now that time is running out (Bio clock) it needs to be now. Leigh doesn't want a baby so they are left with the only solution, they break up. Leigh moves to San Francisco, playing the field and drinking too much while Jodie
Megzz
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5

Veeery nice.
A complete romance that starts with a very painful break up, and tells the story of those two women, who struggle to find a love as powerful as the one they lost, until 11 years later, when they meet again. And with flashbacks in between. I've come to love this author and her intense and emotional stories.
I loved every minute of it.

My only complaint would be the importance of sex in this. It was not just that that tied the women together, but sometimes it did feel like their
Catherine
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the storyline in this book. It was different and not what I expected at first but found myself drawn into the story.

The only thing missing for me was that they often spoke of their connection together outside of the bedroom but I felt this wasn't displayed well by the author. Anytime anything came up about their connection it was shown in the bedroom. It may be that I miss the point as I'm not into that type of sex they shared and therefore I may not understand the type of
Kathy Salt
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely beautiful. The emotion in it is tangible and the characters are very real. Even though the actually storyline could have turned depressing, I found it rather uplifting and very entertaining.
And the love scenes were very hot.
It's a new favourite.
Lorraine Rusnack
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder. They never really fell out of love with each other they just chose different paths. Time and distance can never really end a love like theirs. Of course the sexual chemistry was off the charts. My ears were on fire with their sex scenes.Great narrator for this story.
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
I read this when it was only a short story so I can't even tell you how excited I was to see it play out in a full length book! I really don't feel like I can do this book justice through my review so all I'm going to say is READ IT! If you like Harper's work then you will fully appreciate this novel. It's definitely more romantic than a lot of her earlier work but she makes up for (I'm not a chick-lit fan) by making her characters fully realized and believable. These are people I could know in ...more
Loek Krancher
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The one and only true love.

Wow! Falling in love, one night stands, kids, broken hearts, once in a lifetime. Yes, it all happens and it gives you a feeling of sadness. But the road back is very satisfying and let you smile. And then those hot scenes. Wow, sizzling hot and revealing almost nothing. That's Harper and that is one of the reasons that I love all her books. I'm sure you will enjoy this one.
Cindy Stein
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jodie and Leigh seem to have the ideal relationship - intense attraction, hot kinky sex, and deep caring for one another. The problem is that Jodie, who co-parents her 7 year old son with his father, wants a second child. Leigh, a hard-working, ambitious attorney, has no interest in more children and feels this new addition would squeeze her out. This stand-off continues until, after 6 years together, they break-up. It's heartbreaking for both of them, but also inevitable. Shortly after, Leigh ...more
Patricia Foort
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-re-read, erotica
Eugenia Anton
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book. I think this might be my favorite from this author. It tells the story of two women that had completely different goals in life when everything else was perfect. Their strong convictions of their goals, separates them. I understand each one, I think Leigh might have been a bit more drastic and selfish. She paid the price. Whether you believe that love like that happens just once in your life (I can certainly understand it and agree), when you compare everyone to that one ...more
D
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so totally great! The accomplished author, Harper Bliss, tells about two women, Leigh and Jodie, and their relationship over a rather long period of time. She blends romance, hearbreak, BDSM, and difficult life choices into the tale exceptionally well. Many elements of the book proved especially meaningful to me, because I am a very submissive woman in an intense, albeit complex, F/F relationship with a Domme who is also my partner. XOXOXOs to Harper for creating this beautiful ...more
Jacqsom71
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I want to give it more than 3 stars but I am struggling to do so.

I do find Harper Bliss to be a good author who is able to use her craft to tell good stories but for me this story and their love was all about the sex. I didnt see where else they really bonded or connected as a couple and that is what I want to see in the books I read. If you are after a book for just telling a sex story well then this would be a 5 stars!
Bookgirrll
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh yes, knocked it out the park

Ok so I have read a lot of this authors books, some I loved, some I like and some I didnt get. But the whole premise of this book, the deep relationship and the frailty of what can separate people was brilliantly done. And the under served, typically in books, type of sex life was brilliantly done. Take a bow Harper, best Ive read in a good long while!
Patricia OHara
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different story

This is truly a different type of love story. Yet, all the players seemed to fit it perfectly. I fully enjoyed the ending as my heart was in my throat the whole time.
Carolyn
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forever Love

Leigh and Jodie werent a complete match from the beginning. Jodie has a son and wants another child. Leigh never wanted children. This is their story of first and second chances. Great read
Shannon Herron
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Harper knows how to tear your heart apart into a million pieces and put them back together again. This book was an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish. I loved that we got to see from each POV what they went through after the break up and how they eventually got together again.
Halah
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was such a boring book to me, I couldn't finish it.
Marty Preslar
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

This is a truly great story. A better balance between steamy scenes and sweet, heartwarming romance is hard to find.

• If the Shoe Fits
  • Love Waits
  • Wanting Her
  • The Art of Us
  • Coming Home
  • Hers to Keep (Irresistibly Bound #3)
  • Turbulence
  • Sunsets and Shades
Harper Bliss is a best-selling lesbian romance author. Among her most-loved books are the highly dramatic French Kissing and the often thought-provoking Pink Bean series. She is the co-founder of My LesFic, a weekly newsletter offering discount deals on lesbian fiction.

Harper lived in Hong Kong for 7 years, travelled the world for a bit, and has now settled in Brussels (Belgium) with her wife and