Start by marking “Where Shadows Lie: The Tension of Redemption” as Want to Read:
Where Shadows Lie: The Tension of Redemption

Where Shadows Lie: The Tension of Redemption

His dark past haunts him. His new life taunts him.

After twenty years in the gangs and a hefty prison sentence, an early release gives Shawn the opportunity to turn his life around.

But that isn’t so easy when gangs are involved.

Only a year into his fresh start, the gang catches on and makes Shawn’s life miserable. After all, once a gang member, always a gang member. His
Published June 14th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Where Shadows Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Shadows Lie

sue
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very different book for me to read. I like to jump out of my usual choices so that reading becomes varied for me and I can jump back to each genre refreshed. And take each book in each genre with a clear outlook again.

This is [among other things] the strength of the pull, the commitment the loyalty to get out of gangs. We are not talking of little clicks of youths, we are talking Gangster gangs, really serious 'life on the line' type gangs. Get mixed up with them, fall out with them a
Jesseca Wheaton
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was beyond amazing. Full review to come! :)
Bailey Marissa
A pretty great story about redemption, how the past affects your future, a mystery, and some romance.

There were some things that I didn't like but most of them were personal preference, but I'll get into them when I review the story on my blog in April. *Points to link* https://t.co/LDwJLZA7mW

Recommended 14+ for violence, gangs, scary situations, lots of hospital visits, and missionary dating (don't do it kids, it's not worth it).
Rebekah Jones
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
The Story:
Shawn Parrino left the gangster lifestyle four years ago. Following an imprisonment, he returned to his hometown of Arrowhead, and tries to start a new life. He didn’t have many friends; his best friend and girlfriend Virginia, her brother Bryan, and another ex-gangster, Jackson, are about it. Besides his next door neighbor, Mrs. Jenson, and Virgina’s cousin Joy, no one really cared anything about Shawn.

Except, the gang he left behind.

He had hoped they would just forget him, but their
Autumn
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I received this book as part of a book tour to give an honest review.
*SPOILER*
I normally do not read Christian type books and it isn't because I don't believe but I don't enjoy reading a book that has religion stuffed down my throat. This book was far from that. Yes God is talked about in the book and there are questions that Shawn ask which I have asked myself about the way God works but you don't have it feeling overbearing.
Shawn has a past of dealing with the gangs mostly The Shadows they ar
Faith
Recommended ages: 13 & up for gang violence

Introduction:

This was the first Christian book in this genre I have ever read. I was pleasantly surprised at the obvious research bigstock-Urban-Alley-At-Night-30383132and hard work the author did to write this book.

Characters: .75/1

The characters were usually easy to relate to. I liked Bryan the best, even though he was a minor character. Virginia and Shawn were good, too, but Bryan just struck a cord with me. Maybe because we're both the oldest. T
Deborah
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I loved this book, but... there was a ton of violence and blood and gory and... it was a bit extreme. :( The main characters "die" like five times each.

But besides all that, I LOVED it!!! The one thing I especially loved was the writing style. The author did an amazing job with the characters expressing themselves. And the details; AWESOME!!! It was obvious that the plot was well thought out and that helped a LOT!

The one thing that was disappointing was the ending. For over 400 pages the book ju
Vicki Trask
Jul 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Cliffnotes version: Shawn is starting a new life after escaping from a local gang only to find that the gang (named The Shadows) won’t let him go, putting his new life and his new found family (consisting of his girlfriend Virginia, her brother Bryan, her cousin Joy, and his best friend Jackson) in jeopardy.

Told from a mix of first person and varying third person narrations, the story is presented from many different perspectives all with the same personality, voice, and structure. I was bored.
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*Copy provided in exchange for honest review*
I will start with what I disliked. I felt like the plot dragged too much. The gang members never sparked fear inside me and it was a big let down since I love to read books about them. I didn't like the dialogue, it wasn't as deep as I wish it to be. That fact alone prevented me from connecting with the characters and believing in their relationship. I couldn't pinpoint the difference about the relationship they had with each other from other people.
Kiah
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book. “Where Shadows Lie” continues the story of the characters from “Holding the Future Hostage,” but where Tialla Rising’s first novel was a sci-fi adventure, her second book branches out into a more realistic world and a deeper, more thrilling, and even romantic story.

Things I loved about the book: The characters. I found them to be real and individual, and I was drawn into the story because I was feeling along with them, cheering for them. And, at least once
Joshua
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tialla Rising has done it again! "Where Shadows Lie" is such a stunning read. This book grips you from the beginning to the end in a journey that consists of Shawn and Virginia. These two individuals have crossed one another's paths before, but this time, they're intertwined in a relationship. Virginia has grown up without parents for most of her life, yet is super content with life, and has no problem attributing that all to her faith in Christ. Shawn is similar in that his parents were also go ...more
Cynthia
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVE IT!!! This book sports the same characters as the last book, but written in a different style! I was captivated! What a unique love story! I picked it up the day I got it and could not put it down! I had to know what happened at the end! I was quite pleased with the entire book!
Thanks Tialla for another amazing read!
Sydney
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I couldn't put it down. The characters and plots were developed beautifully in the story. I thoroughly enjoyed the action, drama, and suspense. The Gospel story was portrayed well, one character in particular received Salvation. I will definitely recommend this book to my friends.
Kimberly