Start by marking “The Way to Game the Walk of Shame” as Want to Read:

The Way to Game the Walk of Shame

Taylor Simmons is screwed.

Things were hard enough when her single-minded dedication to her studies earned her the reputation of being an Ice Queen, but after getting drunk at a party and waking up next to bad boy surfer Evan McKinley, the entire school seems intent on tearing Taylor down with mockery and gossip.

Desperate to salvage her reputation, Taylor persuades Evan to
Published June 7th 2016 by Macmillan/Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about The Way to Game the Walk of Shame, please sign up.
Iann T. Even though I just looked up a description I found this book have no idea if it’s the one “Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough” I did…moreEven though I just looked up a description I found this book have no idea if it’s the one “Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough” I did not see when the book was published but I am just trying to be helpful.(less)

Start your review of The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards
Update: Just to add some parental guidance, this is one of the few YA reads marketed as YA that are indeed clean, but I'll add a warning for language. Nothing particularly innaproppiate, no f- bombs.
Nothing they wouldn't hear on TV.

4.5 stars rounded because FINALLY! A young adult is REALLY a young adult book, and not a NEW ADULT book pretending to lure underage teens to its dirty sex scenes (cough ACOMAF cough)

This book is REAL, age appropiate young adult.

description

Seriously. I can't be the only one not
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Way to Game the Walk of Shame by Jenn P. Nguyen was a book I fell in love with as soon as I read the title. Suddenly I was pulling up everywhere to try and get a review copy of this one. Which was why I was so happy to snag a place on this tour here! I was anticipating it like crazy.

I recently read another fake dating kind of story which was No Love Allowed by Kate Evangelista. I've quickly gone from not having read any of these kind to two! This one had quite a different reason for the cou
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Huh. They wrote a book about me.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

2.5 Stars

You’re all familiar with the “Walk of Shame” right . . . . .

Oh wait, wrong genre. This book was about the other kind . . . .

Meet Taylor. She’s gone through high school pretty much like this . . . .

When she gets waitlisted to Columbia rather than immediately accepted, she doesn’t take it well and ends up not only . . . .

But also??????

Or at least that’s what the entire school thinks when word gets out tha
ambsreads
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Such an enjoyable book! Proud for this to be my 200th book of the year, honestly. I will be writing a full review for this, hopefully, it may, however, be sans gifs since i won't be updating as frequently for the next week and a bit due to lack of wifi implemented by moving. Thank God for books.
A_Ryan
5 Absolutely Awesome Stars!!!

What's it about? After a night together that neither can remember, a straight-A student and the school's hottest player strike a deal in order to protect the girl's reputation and pretend to be a couple. But the lines between pretense and reality soon begin to blur...

The best bits: I just love fake-boyfriend stories, especially when they are done well and both characters develop slowly and realistically. This is pure light hearted fun and never delves too far
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Same Review Also posted In My Blog: Dreamy Addictions

This book was one delicious sweet cupcake that will definitely melt and warm your heart. When I first read the synopsis of this book, I knew it was going to be a fun read. The story was so cute and sweet and even though it was a overused fake relationship trope, I really enjoyed this book. Taylor and Evan are so adorable in this and I loved how their fake relationship slowly turned into something real. I liked every aspect of this book and mig
Karole Cozzo
Five things I greatly enjoyed about this book:

1) It's sweet, really sweet. Not all YA romance needs a dark, brooding bad boy, and Nguyen did a great job illustrating that.
2) At certain points when I thought the plot might be going down a predictable path...it didn't.
3) Nguyen included enough memorable details (blue cotton candy wishes, the coin necklace, little sister make-up application) to give this story its own personality, one I'll remember.
4) The more I got to know the main characters, the
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book for review. This does not affect my rating or opinion.

”You know this will probably backfire on you."

”How?"

”You might fall in love with me and won’t want to let go in the end."

At some point while reading this book (in one sitting), I asked Jamie if I was allowed to write a love letter to Evan as my review. She said yes, but I’ll tone it down and simply start with Evan.

Evan was just the most delicious young man ever. Yes, he was a player, but that di
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
This is more of a 2-3 stars read. The first half and the last dragged which put me in an odd position. But, the third half is engaging so.

I enjoyed reading the banter, and the fake dating trope. I just wish, there’s no slut-shaming, and, “you‘re not like the other girls” litany. I highly advocate for Nguyen not to use the same plot drive next time, because she really knows how to write an engaging contemporary-romance book.
Angie Elle
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Thank you to MACMILLAN CHILDREN’S PUBLISHING GROUP and Netgalley for providing a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was expecting The Way to Game the Walk of Shame to be heavy read, but it was actually quite fun. I had a huge smile on my face throughout most of this book. Of course, it may have had something to do with the fact that I could picture this entire story line taking place in Tree Hill, one of my favorite fictional places. (Interestingly enough, this
Marta :}
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, cover-lust
I'm very conflicted about this book, I've read it in a few hours, it was pretty addicting. I love the fake-dating trope and the chemistry of the characters was so great, I loved them and shipped them and rooted for them. But ugh. Why does every young adult romance have to include girl hate and girls being mean to each other over a boy? It's such an anti-feminism thing to do, please just stop. Also, this book had the 'she's not like the other girls' phrase twice in it, that's the only thing I ha ...more
Natalia
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
It's more like 3½.
Really cute and funny book.
OMG I love Evan! He is just amazing! ;)
Rose
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-favorites, arcs
I think I fell in love with a book, you guys...
Christine Alibutud
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ah, hell. I just had to stumble upon another story about a fake relationship between two stereotypical characters in high school.....And of course, I had to be a huge sucker for stories like this one. I love a good cliche story once in a while (and by once in a while, I mean like twice a week), and well, what can I say? I liked The Way to Game the Walk of Shame because duh! Just look at my inner cliche doing a happy dance!
description

Aside from the fact that I'm just wired to enjoy stories like this, the bu
Sophie
The fake boyfriend trope is one of my all time favourites in YA books. This book immediately jumped on my wishlist when I read the synopsis, and I preordered it after my birthday, and the fact it came out the day of my final uni exam seemed like fate.

The Way to Game the Walk of Shame begins with Taylor, the girl known around school for being a geek, a nerd, and a shoe in for valedictorian. When she wakes up in bed with the school's biggest player, Evan, she hopes no one has noticed. Unfortunatel
Romie
overall the story was very enjoyable and cute, but you can tell this book was published in 2016. it's full of you're not like the other girls and girls hate tropes, and it got old at some point. but the two main characters are adorable together. I liked reading about them. it's a nice read. (3.5)
Crystal
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
LOVED this book. Absolutely loved it!
Didi
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 STARS

This was very okay, not bad, but not great for me either. The pretend-it's-love-till-it-gets-real trope is usually a good one. There's lots of potential for emotion and angst when love seems one-sided. Add in the fumbled teenage emotions and you usually should have a winner. But not here. Not for me.

Taylor was an annoying heroine. I couldn't understand why she was snarky or how people referred to her as the Ice Queen just because she was studious and stuck to her future plan. Examples o
Take Me Away To A Great Read
By Jenn P. Nguyen
Swoon Reads
Release Date: June 7, 2016
Rating: 3 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy of The Way to Game the Walk of Shame for an honest review.

The Way to Game the Walk of Shame is a fun, sweet, fast-paced, romantic book. I read the synopsis and title for this book and thought it seemed like a great read. It did have all the makings to be fantastic but I did feel that it never quite got there. However, it
Danika Stone
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel by Jenn Nguyen is perfect! It captures the ups and downs of the high school party scene, the troublesome issues with teen social dynamics, and the ultimate fragility of one's reputation - no matter WHO you might be. As a couple, Taylor and Evan are adorable together, and I LOVED the final scene with it's reveal of what actually happened the night of the party.
Simply put: a sweet, fun read!
Patty
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
** 3 stars **
In all honesty close to being 2.5 stars...I really want to love this one, but I just wasn't working for me o.O
Michelle
4.5 Stars!
Loved this one! That cover sucks though! lol
Evan went straight to my favorite bad boy shelf:))
Peach
I expected a lot more from a book named The Way to Game the Walk of Shame.

Well, first of all, I hoped for no slutshaming. Sadly, there was a lot of that. Both versions. And when I say (type) that, the MC, Taylor, hates on both boys and girls. Evan tries his best to be a womanizer with a heart - ala Caleb in No Love Allowed - but fails miserably because those dreaded feels still manage to slip through.

When she awakens the tragic day-after, Taylor Simmons couldn't be further scandalized. She h
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted on Mostly YA Lit:

Taylor Simmons is the “most likely to succeed” in her class…so how does she end up drunk and in bed with Evan McKinley, the “manwhore”? With the rumor mill at a high, Taylor begs Evan to pretend they’re in a relationship so that she can save her reputation.

The Way to Game the Walk of Shame had a few things going for it that made me request it: one of my favorite tropes, the fake relationship that turns real; dealing with slut-shaming; and an Asian author
Jess
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You know those 5-stars where it's not "WOW, SO GOOD, EVERYONE MUST READ!!" but it's one of those subtle "Well, that was pleasant and there wasn't anything particularly WRONG with it"? That's how I feel about this book and I mean it in the best way possible!
-fun, quick read.
-borderline NA, I do have to say.
-cliches, but I knew what I was getting into.
-very swoony, I will admit.
-love the incorporation of dual POVs, don't see that often.
-would read again :)
-it's good for its genre; is it particular
thi
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75/5
- I think?? this is one of my favourite fake dating stories??
- a little risqué for ya not gonna lie .. it’s borderline na
- good girl ice queen supposedly hooks up with the resident player and has to deal with rumours and to dissuade them they begin to fake date
- SUCH fun clashing personalities to enjoy with dual POV
- Minor gripe .. I know it was for the drama but the amount of people who enjoyed teasing taylor about the supposed hook up and even asshole teachers .. they were comically ev
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Feb 16, 2016 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: arc
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from the publisher.

[No diversity rating because I couldn’t be arsed to note it for once. Such was my annoyance with this book.]

If I’d really thought things through, I would have avoided this book altogether. Fake-dating to save one’s reputation sounds super cute, there are plenty of ways to make something like this work, and it didn’t seem offensive to my sensibilities at the time.

Then I started reading. WHOO, BOY.

Two points in th
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
Warning: This review MAY contain spoilers.

This book is fracking glorious! Absolute perfection. It delighted me to no end. I had a feeling that this book would amuse me and keep my interest, but I had no idea how much it would grab hold of me and not let go.

The plot for this story is sort of an "opposites attract" sort of tale. The main character, Taylor, finds herself in a precarious situation that threatens to ruin her reputation. Waking up in the bed of her high school's number one hunky pla
Stacee
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I love this sort of synopsis, so I was pretty excited to read this.

I liked Taylor and Evan. She's very structured and focused and maybe a bit sheltered. He's a flirt and laid back and maybe a bit of a slacker. Together their banter is amusing and the attempt at a relationship is adorable.

Of course there's a break up, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I loved the grand gesture and how we got the "before" chapters at the end. I would have loved an epilogue to see what happened next, but it was

• Shuffle, Repeat
  • Something New
  • The Fine Art of Pretending (The Fine Art of Pretending, #1)
  • The Game Can't Love You Back
  • Announcing Trouble
  • I Hate You, Fuller James
  • Meet Me at Midnight
  • No Love Allowed (Dodge Cove, #1)
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Being Bad
  • Melt My Heart
  • Resisting the Rebel
  • Kiss Cam
  • Wesley James Ruined My Life
  • The Wrong Prom Date (The Wrong Match Book 3)
  • All Laced Up (All Laced Up, #1)
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • Surviving Adam Meade
  • If I'm Being Honest

News & Interviews

“I’m just saying that if it’s something or someone worth fighting for, you should fight for it. It’s not called a fight because it’s easy.” 8 likes
“You talk about your feelings. It's annoying and frustrating [...] But that's the point. You have to try. Because if you don't bother trying, then what's the point in being in a relationship?” 2 likes