Start by marking “Taming the To-Do List” as Want to Read:
Taming the To-Do List

Taming the To-Do List

Ever just wish the world would stop for a day so you could catch up?

No matter how much we accomplish in a day, we nearly always feel a little guilt over what we didn’t do. But do we really have more to do than the women who came before us? Maybe not.

In Taming the To-Do List, Glynnis Whitwer exposes a seismic shift in society: from one in which most of us were proactive to
Published August 18th 2015 by Revell (first published August 11th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Taming the To-Do List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming the To-Do List

Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was well organized, researched and encouraging to stop procrastinating. She incorporated life applicable bible verses that I found helpful when I feel overwhelmed and exhausted. If you are needing a little encouragement on how to organize all those small and large tasks and projects in you life, I wouldn't hesitate to read this.
Melissa Lee
Rating: 3.5 / 5

I received an ARC copy of Taming the To-Do List by Glynnis Whitwer from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

As I read the introduction I thought to myself, this is me! I’ve always known I was a procrastinator but I am only now beginning to see how it is affecting my life. This book spoke to me before I even got to the first chapter. I found myself reading paragraphs and sentences and saying to myself “Yes!” Yes, this is how I feel when I look at the big pi
Jory
Sep 14, 2015 marked it as to-read
I procrastinated in starting this book...
Michele Morin
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Don't Put It Off

I really didn’t think I needed this book.

It was written for procrastinators, for people who need help in Taming the To-Do-List.
If anything, I’m an “ante-crastinator,” too faint-hearted to wait until the last minute, who goes into panic mode just thinking about the potential of going into panic mode.

But then I read Glynnis Whitwer’s definition of procrastination, “a voluntary delay of something we could do but choose not to,” and thought about the weight I gained during the peril
Create With Joy
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Are you the kind of gal who loves to make To Do Lists? Do you get a keen sense of satisfaction out of checking little boxes that indicate you’ve accomplished something meaningful?

Do you also find yourself becoming increasingly overwhelmed by the number of tasks remaining on your list at the end of each day?

Does the tendency to accomplish something – anything – sometimes lead you to focus on doing the little things – the minor things – while the really important things sit and linger on your list
Christy Ryan
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was timely for me and exactly where I'm at. I gleaned a lot of great nuggets that I'll use!
Terri
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book on procrastination. Although much of it didn't pertain to me, and I'd hoped to lock in what my procrastination problem is, she really didn't hit on it. Not much that she covered as a reason for procrastination really seemed to be me. But she did hit on some interesting points and ideas that helped. But truly, I have a found a good self help remedy for my procrastination problem, as I said, I had hoped to find the reason I procrastinate, hoping it would help me even mo ...more
Bonnie
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ever have a list of things to do as long as your arm?! This book is a must read for you!
Stacie
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Are you constantly making to-do lists and moving the same items over week to week? Do you look at your to-do list and immediately do the easiest thing just so you can check something off? Do you put off projects and deadlines until the last minute?

If you answered "Yes" to any of those questions, then my advice to you is to read this book. I was shocked while reading this book and realizing Whitwer was speaking directly to me. I am guilty of making to-do lists and constantly ignoring the bigger o
Lorraine Montgomery
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Revell Reads, a division of Baker Publishing Group, in exchange for an honest review and my participation in a September Blog Tour.

Taming the To-Do List is a subject that will appeal to many. Most of us have encountered problems with an overwhelming 'to-do' list. Well, so has Glynnis Whitwer; hence, this book. The technology age that gave us so many appliances that were supposed to bring more leisure time with our families, soon gave way to an informati
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Full of both scriptural and practical tips, Glynnis Whitwer approaches the issue of procrastination and our impossible to-do lists from the perspective of a fellow sojourner. She is someone who knows what it’s like to feel overwhelmed by everything that isn’t getting done. And it’s not just the mundane tasks that pile up incomplete thanks to our tendency to over-commit; sometimes (more often than not) we push aside the things that make our hearts sing.

How do we gain victory over our schedules? G
Amy
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-reviews
When I was offered an opportunity to read this book, honestly, this is what I thought, "One more thing to add to my to-do list." And yet, taming my to-do list, was exactly what I needed to read about, so I went ahead and chose to prioritize the book along with all the other things I have to do.

But, Oh My Word, It was soooo worth it!! Glynnis addresses things in her book I have struggled with for years. And also enlightened me quite to my dismay on some personal issues I have, such as procrastina
Naomi
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am so glad that my book club decided to read this book. Just having started a very consuming job (that I love) and still having regular household life to take care of, my to-do list was crushing me. Glynnis Whitwer's book has really helped me to prioritize things that I need to get done and to help me look at my time in a different way. Several times when I have had an extra 30 minutes or hour I have tackled a larger project instead of a bunch of little ones. I also realized there are things t ...more
W. Whalin
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Packed With Insights For Every Reader

If you feel overcommited and overwhelmed, you need this book. When you read Glynnis Whitwer's bio, you wonder how she gets it all done. This book gives the inside scoop and valuable insights for every reader (not just women). I loved the practical application sections at the end of each chapter where readers apply the teaching to their own situation.

As Whitwer writes in the opening chapter, "Reordering my priorities and learning new ways to manage my workloa
Terrie Kellum pursel
So much more than I expected!

I became acquainted with the author through Compeltraining.com, a website for writers. I was curious to read her work. I was not disappointed. This is so much more than about a to-do list. It's about procrastination and why, as in what goes on in our brain, we do it. She does not present pat solutions that could be found in a magazine or organization solutions book. She does present personal experience that made me think she had been looking into a window on my life.
Claudia
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful in overcoming my tendency to procrastinate.
Janet
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Very good book - it is a lot about procrastination - lots to learn in this on.

Going to start a Bible Study on it this week through Proverbs31 - it is going to be great.
Lisa
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book helps us figure out which underlying issues may be at the root of our I-never-manage-to-get-it-all-done problems. She looks at everything from fear and perfectionism to what motivates us and how our view of time may be affecting things.
The author lumps all the topics under the heading of procrastination, but her definition—a voluntary delay of something we could do but choose not to—applies to all of us in some area or other. I found the application questions at the end of each chapter
Kelsey Bryant
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I won't say it solved all my problems, but it gave me some much needed encouragement and some good advice about life management. It dwells mainly upon procrastination. I'm not a habitual procrastinator, but I do have certain projects that I put off ... and off ... and off, so it helped me put plans in place to address them. Definitely a book I'd like to keep on hand for when I find my to-do list getting out of control again.
Candy Shepard
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although I do not see myself as a procrastinator, I still found this book insightful. My son is a heavy procrastinator who drives me insane. I read a lot of this book to gain more insight into WHY we procrastinate and how to overcome this heavy habit, in hopes of helping him.
One of my great take-aways from this book is that we were created to be in relationships, not to simply be productive. It's important to work less on approval ratings and more on relationships. ❤
Michelle Cynthia
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I slowly read this book in small doses and especially enjoyed reading a section or two in the mornings before starting the to-do list of the day. Much of the book focuses of procrastination. I found the Wise Time Manager chapter the most interesting, personally, and other parts that offered concrete ideas that could be applied today. The book is by a Christian author and she uses bible verses to support her message.
Chloe
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Although a fair amount of the information is what I would consider common sense, I do appreciate many of Ms. Whitwer's practical solutions. I'm definitely looking forward to implementing her idea of a new-and-improved to-do list that organizes projects into tasks, rather than adding all the things that need to happen to a single list. I was also blessed by the scripture Ms. Whitwer frequently cites, providing spiritual encouragement to tackle the responsibilities God has given me.
Melissa
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm glad I didn't look at the back cover before picking this up, because I would have missed out on reading this. I tend to stay away from Christian Ministry books, but this one has changed my mind. I was so inspired and uplifted by Glynnis Whitwer's insights to why we procrastinate and how we can overcome. I re-read several sections and probably will re-read the whole thing again someday.
Jen Davis
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: organization
I saved this book until the end of summer when I needed the most guidance and inspiration before heading back to school. To be honest, I wasn’t sure how scripture and time management would work together in one book, but I was pleasantly surprised. Her tips were practical and I took away a lot of great nuggets that were both motivational and uplifting. Definitely worth the read.
Doris
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book on battling perfectionism with a Christian take. I especially liked the "Practical Application" part and the end of each chapter that helps you step by step identify what you want to get done, understand why you aren't doing it, and taking steps to really accomplish it.
Lisa
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
MAde reference to about half a dozen other books I've read on the topic so it was, for the most part, right up my alley. Some may find the Bible verses too much; others may find it just right. A good (and short) read overall.
Pam Hubler
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the book, but then decided I had to buy it. There are so many great strategies and practical applications that I need a copy to highlight, write and tab for my next steps. Mixing Christianity and living a well balanced life makes total sense! This book blends it perfectly. ❤ ...more
Kimberly
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this quick read, Glynnis Whitwer encourages us to stop procrastinating things on the "to do" list and gives practical and biblical advice to tame things that need to be done.
Lillian
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly helpful
Kiril
May 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Is this about God or procrastination? Couldn't finish even the first chapter of the book, because the author is obsessed with God!?!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Mended Heart: God's Healing for Your Broken Places
  • Listen, Love, Repeat: Other-Centered Living in a Self-Centered World
  • Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life (InScribed)
  • Heaven's Song
  • Limitless Life: You Are More Than Your Past When God Holds Your Future
  • What Happens When Women Walk in Faith: Trusting God Takes You to Amazing Places
  • Discerning the Will of God: An Ignatian Guide to Christian Decision Making
  • 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn't Quit
  • Love and Salt: A Spiritual Friendship Shared in Letters
  • The Catholic Guide to Depression: How the Saints, the Sacraments, and Psychiatry Can Help You Break Its Grip and Find Happiness Again
  • Deep Conversion / Deep Prayer
  • The Temperament God Gave You: The Classic Key to Knowing Yourself, Getting Along with Others, and Growing Closer to the Lord
  • Style, Sex, & Substance: 10 Catholic Women Consider the Things That Really Matter
  • The Art of Perspective: The Ultimate Guide for Artists in Every Medium
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • In the School of the Holy Spirit
  • The Gift of Peace
  • Getaway with God: The Everywoman's Guide to Personal Retreat
“The Bible has a promise for us when we discipline ourselves: “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it” (Heb. 12:11).” 2 likes
“Josh Riebock, in his book Heroes and Monsters, says, “Everyone can change tomorrow. Everyone solves problems tomorrow. But the only changes that matter are the ones I make today. Tomorrow is the easiest day I’ll ever live. Today is the scary one, which is probably why I’ve spent so much time avoiding it.”[5]” 0 likes