Start by marking “A Unicorn Named Sparkle (A Unicorn Named Sparkle #1)” as Want to Read:
A Unicorn Named Sparkle (A Unicorn Named Sparkle #1)

A Unicorn Named Sparkle

(A Unicorn Named Sparkle #1)

When Lucy sees an ad in the newspaper for a unicorn, she sends in her twenty-five cents and waits four to six long weeks for her very own unicorn to arrive. She imagines the flowers that she'll braid into his beautiful pink mane, and she even picks the perfect name for him: Sparkle. But when Sparkle arrives, his ears are too long, his horn is too short, he smells ...more
Published July 5th 2016 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (Byr)

To ask other readers questions about A Unicorn Named Sparkle, please sign up.
Blanco Meyers
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of A Unicorn Named Sparkle (A Unicorn Named Sparkle #1)
Schizanthus
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dragging on UNICORN MONTH because I'm not done yet and, well, unicorns!!!

Cuteness overload! Just on the cover we have glitter and butterflies with happy faces. SOLD!!!

When Lucy orders a unicorn for 25 cents - BARGAIN!!! - she doesn't get the unicorn of her dreams. If your heart doesn't melt when you see Sparkle snuggled up with Bear-Bear after a bedtime story to calm his fears during a storm, then I don't know what will. Plus he has a heart shaped patch of fur near his butt and loves cupcakes.
Annie Pasma
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
There are not enough words to describe how much I love this book... Story time anyone?
brea
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was totally just a goat.
But I still loved it.
Amanda
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
*sigh* I am adulting too hard. Maybe I am too tired? Adults are KNOWN for ALWAYS being tired (i.e. borrrr-ing!). I am such an adult!

Ok, just going to put my head down and cry a little now....

Back to the book review: my first thought, after the "oh I love the super cute sparkly cover!" thought was:
...
"I wonder if that is really a goat, and they glued that horn to its head 'cuz it sure as anything acts like a goat."

Yep, I am an adult. A very tired, cranky, borrrr-ing, adulty-adult. *sigh*

All that
Jocelin
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A little girl sees an ad for a unicorn for only .25. She pays her money and patiently waits for her "unicorn". When she finally receives her unicorn, it is nothing what she expected. She imagined herself and her unicorn (goat with a cone on its head) as having sparkly adventures. Of course, she doesn't get that and she tries to make the best of it. Sparkle is not easy to manage.
What I like about this book was the patience the little girl showed towards Sparkle. It was rough going at first, but
Tracy Morton
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story about a girl who orders a unicorn but gets a goat. Very cute. Cool fact: This book was written by a child!
Heather
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Slightly predictable but completely, delightfully exuberant story of a girl named Lucy and her new pet unicorn, which looks distinctly goatish rather than the elegant magical creature Lucy expects. This book is great to read aloud (as long as you can make the appropriate bleating noises). Would pair well with other unicorn picture books - Uni the Unicorn and Lily the Unicorn - for a fun storytime.
Lynn
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Calling all unicorn lovers! This story also tells the reader about unexpected results as we feel the emotions of desire, rejection, and acceptance. My heart almost audibly gasped when she put Sparkle into the truck!
Full color illustrations, cartoonish lines, text nicely spaced in various locations around each page.
Mary
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Lucy's dearest wish is for a unicorn that she can name Sparkle, but when she finally gets one it isn't at all like she imagined. An engaging story with an affirming message about wishes, expectations, acceptance, and love.
Alice Rachel
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so adorable! And the message was very important (though, usually, it’s not the kids who don’t take good care of the animals, it’s their heartless parents).
I want a Sparkle of my own!
Xing Zhi
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Xing Zhi by: Jeulmin
BEHHHHH :D
Gemma
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Very cute and touching story, made all the more so with soft and colorful illustrations. A touch of kid (no pun intended) humour & a true-to-life message that sometimes it takes time and understanding to appreciate someone/something for who they are.

Miranda
I loved it. I want to buy it.
Beth
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is such fun as a read-aloud!
Karen
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A goat dressed as a unicorn. How can I resist.
Chance Lee
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
A young girl sends away for a mail-order unicorn. It's actually a goat, but she ordered it from New Jersey so it shouldn't have been a surprise.
Cosi
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It’s so cute! It sorta reminds me of the unicorn from despicable me 3. Amazing ...more
Barbara
Lucy is thrilled when she answers an ad selling a unicorn for a quarter, and as she waits for the animal to arrive, she imagines all the fun she will have and how beautiful this creature will be. She even thinks about what colors the unicorn will be and what she name her new pet. But the unicorn is nothing like she imagined, which will clue readers into the possible reasons for Lucy getting such a great deal on a unicorn. Instead of being majestic and magical, this unicorn resembles a goat in ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
There is a definitely a need for more unicorn books, and I think this fits better with what kids are looking for than Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great. I also think that this story is similar to The Princess and the Pony, but more preschool-appropriate and a million times better-written. It's not my favorite, but it's a solid offering for patrons looking for unicorn stories and a perfectly appropriate addition to a fantasy story time.
Amber
I wish I could get a unicorn for 25 cents! Even if that unicorn looks like a goat with one horn, smells funny and has fleas! A story written in the same vein as books like "Land Shark," a young girl learns that sometimes we get what we need instead of what we thought we wanted. Or something like that.
Jill Pickle
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
To be perfectly honest, I thought this book was going to be not enjoyable--hyper feminine and sickly sweet.
But I ended up loving it. The characters were flawed, the unicorn was an animal (truly) and the ending warmed my heart.
Give Sparkle Unicorn a chance. I think John Lennon said that.
Beth
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Lucy orders a unicorn from an ad that declares "Unicorn, 25 Cents" she dreams of how beautiful and regal her new unicorn will be.

What she expects and what she gets are two totally different things.
Samantha
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lucy is so excited for her pet unicorn to arrive, but when Sparkle shows up, more goat than unicorn, she struggles to see the good in him. Things change with time and Lucy starts to see Sparkle in a lovable way.

Really cute illustrations, great read aloud for PreK-2.
Alison
This book was a really cute lesson about friendship and making the best with what you have. A good alternative to fantasy unicorn books
Relyn
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers and librarians for read aloud
Recommended to Relyn by: Scholastic
This book is for anyone who has ever loved a unicorn.

Or a goat.

Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great WNB entry.
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book has glitter on the cover. Automatic 3 stars. And I loved it as well. 4 stars. The end.
Lauren Kramer
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Prepare for a story of mystical proportions in A Unicorn Named Sparkle by Amy Young. A young girl named Lucy discovers an ad for a unicorn that is for sale for 25 cents. She hurriedly sends in her money and eagerly awaits the unicorn's arrival.

While she waits, she begins to dream about all of the things that she and her unicorn will do together. Lucy has even picked out her new pet's name: Sparkle. She also prepares a special cupcake treat to present to Sparkle.

The unicorn man soon arrives with
Jane Maple
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lexi Clark
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I gave this book a 4 star rating because i do really enjoy reading this book when I need a laugh. I think many students would enjoy reading/listening to this book. It is kind of a goofy little story about "Unicorns". The message that this book has can also be important. Lucy ordered a unicorn but really she got a goat. She didn't want to try to make it work as the goat was bugging her and she was easily irritated as is was not what she wanted. After sending the goat off she realized that she did ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Sophie Johnson, Unicorn Expert
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
  • Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • I Will Not Eat You
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • Thelma the Unicorn
  • Uni the Unicorn and the Dream Come True (Uni the Unicorn, #2)
  • Unicorn Day
  • Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion
  • Not Quite Narwhal
  • It Came in the Mail
  • Grumpy Pants
  • How to Catch a Unicorn
  • You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • Pig the Stinker
  • Just Add Glitter
  • The Big Umbrella
  • Santa Bruce (A Mother Bruce book)
Amy Young trained as a fine artist at Yale and received an MFA in painting from Indiana University as well as a law degree from Harvard. She lives in Spring Lake, Michigan.

A Unicorn Named Sparkle (3 books)
  • A New Friend for Sparkle (A Unicorn Named Sparkle #2)
  • A Unicorn Named Sparkle's First Christmas