Start by marking “I Followed the Rules” as Want to Read:
I Followed the Rules

I Followed the Rules

Rule 1: Never ask him on a first date. Rule 2: Laugh admiringly at all his jokes. Rule 3: Always leave him wanting more.

. . . wtf?!

Have you heard of The Rules of Engagement? It's a book that promises to teach you to find the man of your dreams in ten easy steps. Unsurprisingly, I don't own a copy. What is it, 1892?

But I'm a journalist, a
Published July 2nd 2015 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about I Followed the Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Followed the Rules

Start your review of I Followed the Rules
Agi
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite, 2015

Let's be honest, "I Followed the Rules" was one of my most anticipated releases this year. After reading "The List" last year, Joanna's debut novel, I just went mad for her writing and I can't have enough of the stories, so I'd really love to hear sooner rather than later that she's already writing her next book! You know me already, and you know that I can get super - duper excited when I receive books, but when this sexy baby arrived on my doorstep, I was over the moon. Just over the moon. ...more
Nadia
I've started reading the book at around 8 pm last night, and yet again, it's 3 am, my eyes are like fucking saucers, but I wasn't able to put it down until I've finished it. I need help. I'm actually grateful now for my inner ear infection that kept me glued to my bed for the weekend, cause there's no way I'm doing anything productive today.

The book is spectacular! I loved it. I loved Cat. I loved the writing and the humor and Grace. Everything.
Salma
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This novel is everything: romantic, funny , sweet you want to be in a book !
Highly recommended for chic-lit fans ;)
Leah
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was SO MUCH FUN! I read Joanna's first book when it was released, but it wasn't my cup of tea in the slightest. It would appear that when it comes to books, I'm a bit of a prude. However I was SO excited for I Followed The Rules because I knew it was different to The List and I'm so glad I read I Followed The Rules because it was ACE.

I just loved the book from start to finish. Cat has such a strong, awesome voice; the kind of heroine you remember for ages afterwards because
Quirky Omega
If the 5 star rating isn't clear enough, then take this - "I loved this book! And I could not keep it down once I started with it!".

Outburst done.
Rachel Gilbey
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I Followed the Rules is hilarious and very good fun, it follows Cat Buchanan a single mother, with 8 year old daughter Grace, as she tries to get a new boyfriend. Cat is also a columnist, which is going downhill a bit, so a colleague suggests she follows the ultimate dating guide "The Rules of Engagement" and write about her experiences with it.

Just one small problem, Cat disagrees with everything that is written in the rules, mainly as it seems outdated, and flies in the face of fem
Melanie
Actual rating is 4.5/5

Read a more in depth review on my blog here!

Forget the fact that it took me a month to finish this book, because my laziness had nothing to do with the book. It was me. Not the book, do you hear me? Okay, with that said, let's talk about I Followed the Rules.

Thank you netgalley for providing me a copy in exchange of a honest review!

I'm not a big contemporary reader. I'm more of a fantasy, sci-fi lover, but I decided to read more romantic conte
Rosina
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
Oh man, this book was utterly hilarious. I gobbled it up super quickly and truly enjoyed it. Cat was funny and feisty, Grace adorable and Dylan amusing. This book went from laugh-out-loud funny to cute and back again within a few easy to digest pages.

A really enjoyable read and a book I'd definitely recommend!
Kerran Olson
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-challenge
I was after a light, fun read and this didn't disappoint! It's sassy and very funny. Sure, it's predictable, but Cat is so relatable and quirky, and I giggled to myself more than once while reading.
Ronnit
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny, light read. Exactly what you expect from a chick-lit.
Rose Scopazzi
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! It is a very light hearted, easy read.
Joanne
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have seen this book described as a modern day Bridget Jones Diary and, like that book, it is certainly full of humour and wit with a main character you will just love! This is one of the funniest books I have read for ages. There are laugh out loud moments on pretty much every page! Cat Buchanan is such a brilliant character that I just couldn’t put this book down, wanting to read more about her search for love following ‘The Rules of Engagement’ set out in a book by ‘Guy Wright’ – a great pse ...more
Heather
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This may be a little slapdash as I read this on a train journey a few days ago and have to rush out today, so let's begin...

I loved The List. It was frank, fearless and downright funny. So naturally, I was excited to read Joanna's next book. The premise was simple: a journalist is going to follow the Rules of Engagement, a book that will teach you to find the man of your dreams, for a column. She's on a deadline, she follows the rules and this is what happens.

So, here's why I
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

Originally posted on:> http://lauraslittlebookblog.blogspot....

Every now and again I need a book like this to help me see the funny side of life again and to escape reality for a bit and that's exactly what this book does.

I Followed the Rules is literally a joy to read. It is fun, humourous and has one of the best female characters in fiction called Catriona or as her friends call her, Cat. Cat is a kick-arse lady who certainly doesn't hold back when it comes to telling it like it is and expres
Amber
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you liked Sex and the City and the wit of Gilmore Girls, you need to read I Followed The Rules (And Then I Broke Them) by Joanna Bolouri. It's about Catriona (Cat) and her quest to meet the right man. She's been single for six years and she's...well, she's ready to mingle. But her love life isn't the greatest, and she's becoming frustrated. Then she comes across a book called The Rules of Engagement, written by a dude with "rules" on how to date properly. (One rule? Don't Sleep With Him Right ...more
Damaskcat
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Cat Buchannan is a single mother with a small daughter, Grace and she works as a journalist in Glasgow. She has been single for several years following her break up from her partner, Peter, who is Grace's father. A work colleague tells her about a book called 'The Love Rules' and she agrees to follow it week by week and write about how she gets on in her column.

Cat is very doubtful that it will work and she's not at all keen to turn herself into someone she isn't but she finds hersel
Konnie
This was my 1st read by this author, and it was recommended to me.

I have to say I felt the first 50% dragged a bit (and I found myself skimming through this portion of the book) with too much irrelevant information (unnecessary descriptions and stories of friends' lives, etc) and no real dialogue between the love interests.

However, I feel the 2nd half of the book did pick up quite a bit and was really enjoyable. There was humor in this book, and at times I found myself laughing out
Vita
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I like Joanna Bolouri's writing. She is funny without being too cliché chick-lit author. Don't get me wrong, the book and the story has the same plot as most women literature books (e. g. Bridget Jones's Diary) have: girl meets boy - they do not get along - they fall in love, but Joanna does that in a slightly different way. However, her first book - The List - was more refreshing than this one and I didn't particularly care for the bunch of girlfriends in this book and would have loved to see l ...more
Natalie TBGWP
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2015
And she’s done it again!
Fast, sharp, and absolutely hilarious. I didn’t think Joanna Bolouri could top her debut novel The List, but I was so wrong. I Followed The Rules pushes boundaries and is brutally honest.

Have you ever read a book and knew the heroine could easily be your best mate? Well I am head over heels in love with Cat and her swearing ways, she so could be my best mate. (Sorry Becki). She’s un-fucking-believable! She is the ultimate heroine.

This book is
Bookevin
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

A romantic comedy is never complete without the leading man and once again, I just had a dream of this hero in I Followed the Rules after I’ve read the book. With a clever wit and undeniably charming personality, readers will definitely swoon for this fictional heartthrob who just oozes sex appeal. As much as I like to fanboy over that hunk, I’d let you read it to find out more about him (and his duck shower cap).
Clare Williams
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having read The List and loved it, I was really looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. I think I preferred this one. The beauty of Joanna's writing is her ability to write characters you can relate to and who you'd be happy to have as a friend. It's an ideal holiday read because once you start it, you want to keep going until you've finished it.
Carly
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, gr
After reading Joanna's debut I was really looking forward to 'I Followed the Rules'. It did not disappoint. This is such a really fun and easy to read book. I guessed the ending quite early on but this didn't spoil the rest of the story. Very funny and highly recommended.

I received this book from Goodreads.
Zee Monodee
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was fun, fresh, and light - perfect beach read or when you're looking for that rom-com to free your mind. Nice surprise - the humor from the blurb actually carried throughout the book (which sadly isn't the case for many titles). Joanna Bolouri is quickly becoming one of my t-follow authors.
Hannah
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
After reading "The list" I had high expectations, perhaps too high. It's predictable and not as entertaining as I hoped. Still an OK book though.
Akeating2003
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
perfect book for today. very quick read and very funny, I was the only one giggling in the waiting room at the hospital today :)
Abby Lewis
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads win.
I loved this book!! One of the best romance novels by far that I've read!
Is it also mad to say I'l be taking tips from this book?!
Definitely a must-read for romance lovers!
Susanna Cherian
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A unique idea, coated with epically hilarious dialogues and served on a plate of misadventures, is what makes this book stand out. It had the right balance of humour and seriousness to make this an enjoyable read for me.

However, the second wave feminism, character development contradictory and over character hypocrisy, put me off reading multiple times.

To be honest, I prefer the first half of the book to the second. The characters in the first half were new and fresh to me, with a whole new wa
Nicole
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was completely captivated by this book, I could have read this in one sitting if my husband hadn't told me we needed sleep.
I love how Joanna writes, it is so relaxed and intimate. Her characters become believable, even though it is a few cheesy stuff happening. For me they come alive and I wish that I could meet the main character in real life.

You did see all of it coming in this book, but at the same time, what can you expect from a chick-lit. That is part of the reason I enjoy t
Clare Perry
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Georgina
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
This book is laugh out load awesome! I’ve only recently discovered this author and devoured all her books with enthusiasm, joy, embarrassment, the need to sometimes consult google and lots of laugh out loud moments. If, like me you enjoy comedy escapism once in a while, I can highly recommend Joanna Bolouri for some trash reading! I have laughed out loud reading her books in the last couple of weeks and remember reading The Rules as a teenager! Warning if you hate Bridget Jones, Fifty Shades or ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Year of Saying Yes
  • Love You, Love You Not
  • The Good Girlfriend's Guide to Getting Even
  • How Not to Fall in Love, Actually
  • Almost a Bride (Destination Love, #2)
  • Finding You (Destination Love, #3)
  • Sorry Not Sorry
  • Frisky Business
  • Love to Hate You
  • After the Rain (Destination Love, #4)
  • The Out of Office Girl
  • The Bucket List to Mend a Broken Heart
  • It Started With a Tweet
“There is no such thing as the love of your life, that’s bullshit. There are only men you will love for varying amounts of time and with varying amounts of passion. Look forward to the next one instead of grieving over the last.’ She puts down the invitation and takes my hand.” 0 likes
“Don’t ever let a man get the better of you – that’s all Peter is. Just one man. Now, pull yourself together and make me a decent coffee – this stuff tastes like tar.” 0 likes