Start by marking “The Espionage Effect” as Want to Read:
The Espionage Effect

The Espionage Effect

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  143 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews

When desire sets you free…control is a matter of perception.

I'm Devin Hill.

Darkness taints my soul.

I'm suffocating. Drowning.

The sweet promise of air? Pure illusion.

Tested as a genius at age seven, I hide my emotions, become what they expect...bury my secrets. At nineteen, I trudge toward a predestined path, blinders on, heart safeguarded.

Until I dare to be wild.

Until Alec
Published July 14th 2015 by Kat Bastion and Stone Bastion

To ask other readers questions about The Espionage Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Espionage Effect

Dali
An incredibly thrilling story. Intrigue and mystery wrapped up in a gorgeously written, scorchingly hot romance where secrets abound and trust is a rare commodity.

Gifted with a genius mind, cursed with emotionless parents and scarred by a childhood trauma, Devin Hill has been doing what is expected of her and leading an unfulfilling, colorless existence. Taking an impromptu vacation to Maroma Beach with her roommate Anna for a few relaxing days and perhaps gain some clarity and perspective,
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
DNF at 30%

As promising as the set up for the story was, this just wasn't my cuppa. Too much purple prose that just went over my head and completely took me out of the story. I'll happily give these authors a shot with their future releases but this one just wasn't for me.

Amanda
DNF @ 55%

I decided to throw in the towel. Some of the things that happened just didn't make much sense to me - the heroine's reactions, the hero's behaviors and the plot development.

Why she doesn't question him when he break into her room?

How can he easily reveal his super secret spy identity to her?

And she wanting to be a part of the super secret spy thing is just to tad far-fetched.
Jacqueline's Reads
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 - 4 Adventurous Stars

The Espionage Effect is a standalone (but there will more than likely be a series) and it’s my first book by Kat and Stone Bastion. I will admit, I was pulled by the cover and mysterious blurb. I’m a mega fan of suspenseful romances and the more mysterious it is, even better.

This reminds me a bit of Elle Kennedy’s Killer Instinct series. A lot goes on, there’s some romance and plenty of action.

Devin is on vacation with her friend Anna. Devin promised Anna she would fin
Shurrn
A Perfect Summer Read!

This was not my first experience with husband and wife author team Kat & Stone Bastion, but it was my first time seeing what the talented pair can do with a suspenseful stand-alone.

The Result: Glorious!

This novel had my rapt attention from start to finish. The characters were wonderfully intriguing, the pacing was perfect, and the suspense kept me turning pages like crazy.

Quite frankly, The Espionage Effect might be the best thing I've read so far this summer.

The beach
Bj
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 "Lessons in Spying and Love" Stars. Deception, betrayal, revenge and vengeance abound in The Espionage Effect. If you love quirky, genius heroines with twisted, save the world type danger filled plots, then the Espionage Effect may just be the next book you are looking for. I will say though, that while the plot of this romantic suspense took a while to set-up, some patience may be well worth your effort, as the story does kick into high gear, and contains some rather steamy adventures to bo ...more
Michelle
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by authors in exchange for an honest review

[image error]

The Espionage Effect by Kat and Stone Bastion is a perfect summer read to get lost in. It had mystery, suspense, intrigue, adventure, and romance all weaved into the story. With a perfect blend of raw and intensity, the authors were able to showcase a connection that was brewing between Devin Hill and Alec Marquez.

#TheEpsionageEffect

Though Devin may be a genius with an exceptional high IQ, she lives a colorless world of just existing. Her past
Jasmine
2 STARS! ★★

Another case where I got caught by the blurb but the book just didn't work for me. I'm a sucker for spy romances so I thought I gave this a shot. Main reason this one turned to be a bust was due to the overly descriptive prose that didn't add much to the plot itself and needed quite a fair bit of suspension of disbelief. Both MCs were also quite aloof at times. Also too many inner monologues, too little dialogues. I just ended up skimming to the end to see how it would ended up.

Sorry
Dirty Dayna
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
In the books defense life got in the way of actually reading this it didn’t actually take 23 days

3 spy games stars

While this isn't my favorite of the bastion books you have to admit it is quite detailed. The spy feel of it all really didn't do what it was supposed to for me. Some parts were quick to pass over and others overly detailed. I didn't really fall in love with either of the characters and this makes me sad :(

To get to the actual story you need to really get over the first half of the
Alexandra
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-suspence
4.5 STARS

Received copy for my honest review for Fallen for Books Reviewers

"This trip. You. EtherSphere One. All of it made me realize I want the adventure - the adrenaline-pumping, puzzle-solving, world-saving challenge to my body as well as my mind."
"This job could get you killed."
"True.[...]But in the moments I control, and even those I don't, where I'm holding on tight, along for the ride ... I get to LIVE."

This is my first book by any of these authors and to say I was a bit scared to start
Susi
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for an exceptionally well written, sensual and emotional thriller, then The Espionage Effect is the book for you.

Kat and Stone have done it again but this time, they’ve turned up the heat and thrill factor leaving readers in awe.

For starters, I was immediately invested in this story. You see I loved the unique characters. Devin is the beautiful, quiet, reserved, brilliant college student. When I say brilliant, I actually mean gifted. She’s been studying astrophysics and nucle
Lillian ᴥ Cloud 9 Books
*** 3.5 STARS ***

This is how I felt in the beginning.

description

Devin is college student on a trip to Mexico. The trip is to help her find herself. She doesn't want to follow her parents' advice on become a scientist. Devin wants to use her high IQ on something greater.

Alec bumps into Devin at the resort and sparks fly. When Devin discovers that he's a spy on a mission, she wants in. They work together to fight against evil.

"Alec hadn't merely awakened me sexually. He'd opened my eyes to an entire realm
Nicole Laverdure
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Wild Spying adventure!
Do you love romance with a spicy and intriguing touch? Then you are in for a treat! Kate and Stone Bastion's book The Espionage Effect is intensely erotic and filled with mystery! This is a standalone and full-length novel to devore! The sex scenes are very well written, the characters nicely blended into a fun spy suspense.

It tells the story of Devin Hill, a child genius, who's life is so controlled, that she desperately needs to escape and go “wild”. She decides to lea
Mandi Schreiner
DNF @ 40%

Had a lot of trouble with this one. The heroine is so paranoid due to an incident in her past, but has sex with a stranger who breaks into her room while on vacation. She trusts him way too early. Why? And he is some big bad spy - why does he trust her?

There is no lead up to their sex either - no tension.

The heroine comes across flat and I feel like we don't get to know the hero.

They spy stuff is lacking in the first 40% as well.

A miss for me
Stacie
I loved the first series by this writing duo but this standalone just wasn't up to the same level as that series. Still had great MCs and sassiness and hotness but missed some of the charm of the No Weddings series.
Raine
35% DNF head banging
Nov 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Arc received for review

DNF...I can't I'm bored. On to the next book
Debra
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
A truly brilliant read, I loved it!!!!
Heather / Obsessed With Myshelf
Oh hello world of dangerous spies and subterfuge! While Devin is looking to restart her life or just find a new direction for it, she falls into a world that she didn’t knew existed…she and Alec heat up the sheets while the danger spikes around them. Of course, is anything really as it seems?

The first few chapters had me a little confused, but I quickly picked up what Kat was putting down and I realized I was supposed to be a little confused. The entire book is a question of whether things are r
Nice and Naughty Book Club
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Devin lives in darkness all the time, constantly hiding her true self from everyone around her. She feels like she needs something more out of her life but isn't quite sure how to find that missing piece. Luckily the missing piece finds her and her life is turned upside down by the sexy man who breaks into her hotel suite and opens her eyes to a whole new world she knows she won't be able to live without.

Devin's perspective of her surroundings is heightened thanks to her genius IQ and the way th
Chris  Carroll
I have not had the pleasure of reading a book by this couple before. I was hooked in by the combination of genre's and was interested to see how one could balance this type of story line. What I found was a book that covers so many levels of emotion and depth of characters that this is going to be a difficult review to write.

The authors have created characters that are intelligent, emotionally flawed, but connected on many levels. The romance is smoking hot but their conversations are deep and e
Anima
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous female spy? James Bond's got nothing on Devin! Devin Hill is on a dream vacation to find herself and let loose, maybe have a latin fling. Little does she know a chance meeting will change her life forever and may not be as coincidental as she thinks. Alec is a beautiful man, a spy with answers and more secrecy. There was so much in this story it's difficult to pinpoint a favorite scene or storyline. The imagery described is detailed and precise, I felt like I was at the resort. Devin' ...more
2kasmom
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Devin Hill goes on vacation with her roommate Anna to a exotic location for the Christmas holidays. There, she keeps running into Alec Marquez - yes, even literally. He is quite the handsome charmer, but even Devin knows 3 times in 1 day is no longer coincidence.

Alejandro "Alec" Marquez actually works for a secret covert company, ESO for short. He is finding himself attracted to the intelligent Devin and when they see each other all the time... well... what is a man to do? In this case, it is sh
Autumn
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2015
Devin Hill is off-the-charts intelligent. With an IQ of 162 and an eidetic memory, she’s more than capable of taking care of herself. So when a much-needed vacation with her best friend takes an unexpected turn, she should be prepared to deal with anything. She was never prepared for this.

After the loss of her twin sister at a very young age, her parents relentlessly groomed her for greatness. Archery lessons, puzzles and intricate brain games were nothing out of the ordinary for her. And now th
Casey
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Thank you to the Bastions and Netgalley for providing a copy for review.

Before I type my thoughts about The Espionage Effect let me say that this was VERY different from their previous work together. The No Weddings series was hilarious, east to read and just flat out an awesome read all the way through.

The Espionage Effect did not have the comedic relief I have come to enjoy from the Bastions which is not necessarily a bad thing considering this book is supposed to be more serious, suspensefu
Hopelessly Devoted
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Review
Devin Hill was blessed with an IQ bigger than NASA's research budget, she's young, sexy and craving adventure. Rather than following her parents advice and settling into a nice safe job...she decides she wants to make a difference! so she heads off on holiday with her best friend. Enter the enigmatic Alec! Instantly there was more chemistry than a mentos dropped in a bottle of diet coke! When she finds out he's a spy she instantly wants in and the two join forces and....if you want to k
Renee
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2015
I devoured the No Weddings series, so when I heard the husband and wife duo had another book out, I jumped at the chance to read it. The Espionage Effect is a romantic suspense, so has a completely different feel to the No Weddings books.

The romance scenes are a bit darker (as in "in the dark" - think blindfolded or lights switched off) and just as raunchy. There was no huge info dump at the beginning, so I enjoyed finding out more and more as the book went on. I loved Devin's "smart mouth" and
Danielle Goodwin
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kat & Stone Bastion's "The Espionage Effect" is a sexy standalone read. It's an action-adventure romance. It had some very erotic scenes. Probably the most well-described first kiss scene that I've ever read. Alec is a total hottie! Devin is so smart and tough, I didn't realize at first that Devin was a girl's name! The version I read was a very early one and needed more editing. I can't wait to read Geneva's story!
WiLoveBooks
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a little slow to start but even though it seemed to take a while for things to get going, it was all important. Devin is a little different. She is a genius and see things differently than other people. She goes on vacation but gets more than she bargained for. There is plenty of action and lots of twists. It felt a little rushed toward the end, and a bit unfinished. I'm thinking this is the beginning of a series perhaps. I enjoyed it.
C.P. Mandara
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it - BUT - it would have been better written as an adult novel. The 'new adult' was a little jarring for me. Alex was everything I wanted in a hero... and he needed an adult partner.

Having said that, I read it from cover to cover in three days flat (that's quick for me!) and would definitely pick up other books from this author.

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bargain Basement: $25 Amazon Gift Card 1 8 Jun 26, 2015 06:03PM
  • Untouchable
  • The Nekkid Truth
  • Sweet Agony
  • The Flesh Cartel, Season 4: Liberation
  • His Undercover Princess (Tempt Me, #1)
  • A Surefire Way (UltraSecurity, #1)
  • Alternate Connection (Countermeasure, #3)
  • Walker (Bad Boys of X-Ops, #1)
  • Property (PsyCop, #3-4)
  • Bound to You (At Your Service, #1)
  • Edge of Surrender (Alpha Crew, #2)
LATEST PROJECT:
RULE BREAKER, the second standalone in the Unbreakable series, a full-length new adult romance told in dual POV.

Kat Bastion won several awards for her bestselling debut novel Forged in Dreams and Magick.

Kat and Stone Bastion’s bestselling first novel No Weddings and the No Weddings series were named Best of 2014 by multiple romance review blogs.

When not defining love and redemption
More about Kat Bastion...