Start by marking “Linear Shift” as Want to Read:
Linear Shift

Linear Shift

No one said time travel would be easy.

Peter Cooper, a widowed father of two whose life is crumbling around him—until a bizarre encounter with a desperate Army general launches him on a risky mission: to go back to 1942 and change a moment in time. The repercussions will almost certainly alter the conclusion of World War II. But will the ripple effects stop there? And what
Published April 7th 2015 by Global Endeavor Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Linear Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linear Shift

Tracy
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Linear Shift is a fantasy novel about time travel. From the first page I was hooked and didn't want to put it down. I finished out in just two days. Peter and Julie's adventures going back to and in 1942 were riveting. So was the return to 2013. I will be recommending this book to all my reading friends and family, even the non fantasy readers as I feel it has a universal appeal. I am very glad I got to read the book as a whole and not in the parts as each was published, as I would have gone cra ...more
Koeur
Apr 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Stefano
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked very much this series. This is a particular kind of time travel novel with characters you will care of.
Sean Randall
May 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
I had echoes of Michael J. Sullivan's Hollow world with this book, but there were a few issues...
First, whether there were 7 or 8 days to go to the event, the author couldn't quite make up his mind. Then there were a handful of cludges, such as:
"moonlight cascaded through the partially open drapes, saving Peter from utter obscurity." It's dark, but is it really utter obscurity?
"he began to feel remorse for how he had acted. Regurgitating the information from Applegate, he..." Regurgitating? It c
Tony Green
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Peter Cooper is a widower, has no work, has two teenage children to support and has just learned that his house is to be repossessed due to being behind with the mortgage payments. Then, out of the blue, an army general turns up on his doorstep and offers him a chance to get everything back on track. As is often the case, this is not without risk, but after considering the alternatives, Peter agrees to give it a try and even manages to provide for the children should it all go horribly wrong for ...more
John Purvis
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Linear Shift” eBook was published in 2015 and was written by Paul B. Kohler (http://paul-kohler.net). This is Mr. Kohler’s first novel.

I obtained a galley of this novel for review through https://www.netgalley.com. I would categorize this novel as ‘PG’ as there are a few instances of Mature Language and Mature Situations. This Science Fiction/Time Travel novel is set in contemporary times as well as in the 1940s, mostly in San Francisco and France.

The main character is Peter Cooper. Cooper is
Carolyn Injoy
Linear Shift by Paul B. Kohler, published by Global Endeavor is intriguing. I gave it four stars. This segment deals primarily with character development.

In 1942 Doctor Bernard Epson is studying time travel. Michael Gallagher is his assistant who's loyalties lie with the Society. He had been subtly sabotaging the experiments. Miss Stewart works with them both to remind them to eat when they get preoccupied with their project.

Peter Cooper's wife Minnie was killed in a car accident. He is dealing
Laurie
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love a well-written time travel novel and this story did not disappoint. The writing pulled me into the story quickly and once there I just could not stop reading.

The primary protagonist, Peter, is sometimes a bit difficult to like – occasionally coming off overly sarcastic and brash. However, as an unemployed widowed father of two precocious teens, struggling financially, I tried my best to give him some slack. There were other times, especially when he was interacting patiently and lovingly
Marissa
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kindle Copy for Review from author

Peter Cooper a widow with two children finds his world falling apart. Jobless and about to lose his house, he is not sure what to do as his kids ignores him as well.

Things quickly changes as he meets a strange Army general who offers him money to pay his bills for his a risky mission to go back in time. To go back to 1942 and change a moment in time, which will effect World War II.

Before he leaves he ends up telling his best friend and a female friend who ends
Mark Gardner
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I’m a sucker for time travel stories. When I saw this on NetGalley, I had to read it. Linear Shift marries historical fiction with time travel sci-fi in a paradoxical look at governments, time, and history.

The ultimate ending was woefully predictable, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying the read. Fans of intrigue, war, and conspiracies will enjoy this story. The historical aspect wasn’t as detailed as say a book by Harry Turtledove, but sometimes Turtledove lays it on pretty thick. There is en
Sheri
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linear Shift by Paul B. Kohler
Peter Cooper is a widowed father. He is having financial problems, his children are distant, he seems to be losing everything. Then an Army General confronts him with a bizarre and unbelievable offer. He wants Peter to go back in time, to 1942 and change a moment (during that) time.

There is also the chance this can change the end of World War II. But Peter has no idea what he will return to. Is he willing to take the risk? Peter seems to have an offer he can't refu
P.S. Winn
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Something happened back in 1942, and now Peter Cooper, who has lost his wife in a tragic accident and is raising his 2 children alone, is called on to find something from the past. General Applegate appears one day to inform Peter that he has to travel back in time to retrieve something from the past. I enjoyed this tim traveling suspense. I was lucky to get this edition which combined the series and made for a continuous read. The author added in a lot of background information and it took me a ...more
James Hill
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books i have ever read.. Everything went smoothly and consistently creating curiosity..
Linear Shift is a fantastic book. I can't put into words how much I adored it. If you love a Mystery/Thriller , read Linear Shift.
I went into this book thinking "oh, this seems like it will be a nice story." And, wow, this book exceed my expectations and blow me away. This smartly written, thought-provoking novel is a must read for any fan of fiction.

5/5
Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!
Colette Chadwick
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful adventure of time travel. The tale starts with a low point in Peter Cooper’s life. He is offered a job like no other, and then is thrown into a mysterious journey. I enjoyed the delightful characters, the highs, low, twists and turns, as Peter transforms into a brilliant man. The second half explodes with excitement. Linear Shift is a pleasure to read.

I received an advanced copy of Linear Shift… but previously purchased the prior parts separately.
Diane
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Time travel is one of my fave genres and this one works! Read the story synopsis and it will pull you in. Read through the first chapter and you'll be hooked.

Recommended!

I received an e-ARC from the author. A review was requested but not required. This in no way affects the honest comments I have made in this review. It really is a lot of fun. Thanks!
Marilyn Stanley
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW - I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend whether you are into fantasy suspense or not. This was a real page-turner that I found very hard to put down, once I started reading. The author did a great job of making time travel seem believable. Loved it!
Jon Stonecash
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a reasonably competent adventure story that involved travel through time. I liked, but did not love, the characters. The prose is good, but not great.

I read the story because it was billed as a time travel story. I really didn't feel that the novel exploited the concept of time travel all that well. I did not find anything that was new or novel in the story. I have very high expectations for world building in such novels, but this novel did not seem to have fully worked out its notion of
Paul Wilczynski
OVERSOLD

There are how many books in this series? Ten?

Judging from the writing, predictability of characters and plot, and the stilted dialogue and narrative style, not to mention the ninth-grade vocabulary and obvious use of a thesaurus to keep from replicating word choices, the author is angling for a cable TV series!

The blurbs for this initial book in the series vastly oversell the capacity of this author to engage any but a young adult reader, and that is how this book should be positioned,
Mrgana Wyze
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
decent time travel story

This story is just okay. The reality is that a man who has experienced the loss of his wife and the loss of his job and the coming loss of his home would never risk losing his children, especially a 45% chance. He doesn't even trust the government agency hiring him.. And his training attempts are so poor and his language skills so dismal, wht wouldn't they prefer a government or military agent for the job? Someone smart and committed, not just some desperate and depressed
Elizabeth Grieve
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I love the idea of time travel, and this book had a good basic story but would benefit enormously from a thorough editing. Apart from the fact that at the end I still didn't know why Peter was chosen for this mission, nor why he agreed to go on it, there are many odd word choices, clumsy sentences, and inconsistencies which often distract the reader.

Reviewed in exchange for a preview copy.
marilyn coffey
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1942 Back in time.

They had to go back in time. They could change not how the war ended, but they could end it sooner. But then things started changing around them. Did they change the future? Did their life's also change? Would they be alive.
Paul
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book. It didn't make much sense to me. I like sci fi and time travel books but this just rambled on and some of the character's actions were beyond credibility.
Richard Baker
Oct 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Secrets
  • Upload
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • Blood and Bone (Jack Hawthorne Adventure #3)
  • Wolf Tracker (After the Crash #3)
  • The Gift of Illusion
  • Jack Templar And The Lord Of The Demons (The Templar Chronicles, #5)
  • A New Threat
  • Dinosaur Lake
  • Matt Archer: Redemption (Matt Archer #5)
  • Savage Magic (Shifty Magic #3)
  • A Force of Nature
  • Dead Light
  • Secrets of a Mayan Moon
  • SILVER: Acheron (A River of Pain) (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #1) (Silver, #1)
  • Chasing Midnight (The Dark of Night, #2)
  • Fall Back (SEALs Undone, #6)
  • Darlin' Druid (Texas Druid, #1)
Paul B Kohler is the author of the highly acclaimed novel, Linear Shift, and the remarkable novel series, The Borrowed Souls. Aside from his longer works, a number of his short stories have been included in various anthologies. His latest short, Rememorations, has been included in The Immortality Chronicles - a Top 5 SF Anthology and Hot New Releases. Rememorations was also nominated for Best Amer ...more