Start by marking “Understanding Your Endowment” as Want to Read:
Understanding Your Endowment

Read Book

Understanding Your Endowment

For many members of the LDS Church, the temple endowment remains something of a mystery. Yet when understood, the temple can function in our lives as a modern day Liahona, giving us our bearings in our mortal journey back to our Father. Understanding Your Endowment is packed with insights and keys, which can help you unlock the temple's purpose and meaning in your life.

Und
Published August 11th 2015 by Cedar Fort Publishing & Media

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Your Endowment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Your Endowment

Start your review of Understanding Your Endowment
Cory Jensen
Jul 23, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclaimer: This review is from the author. It is simply meant to clarify the purpose of this book and the intended audience.

Coming to understand our own endowment is a personal, sacred journey, one largely between us individually and the Lord. No one, other than the Lord, is really qualified to unfold everything, and much of that will come quietly through the Spirit.

Heidi
Understanding Your Endowment is a beautifully written book for those of the LDS faith who are preparing to go to the temple or who are currently endowed.

The author handles this most sacred of topics of our faith with loving humility and respect. I really enjoyed that every chapter was filled with not only the authors ideas and insights but quotes from the Prophets, Apostles, Ensigns, so many scripture references, etc. that you can continue to research certain topics more fully yourself. I also
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds, non-fiction, 2015
4.5 Stars

Understanding Your Endowment is a great resource for those who are preparing to attend the temple and those who have been attending for any period of time. Currently teaching a class for those preparing, I found that there were several things that I connected with and that gave me ideas in helping those in my class to come to a better understanding. I loved the way the author went about delving into each chapter with scripture references, quoting church leaders, and connecting ancient p
Shauna
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author handles this topic with reverence and humility. I am SO GRATEFUL he has shared his knowledge with us. Using personal stories, other examples, and scriptures this book really opens up a greater understanding of so many things!

When next I attend the temple I will have some added insights that will make the experience more meaningful...and I will be more prepared to have the Spirit be with me.

Believe me, I know, in today's busy world sometimes going to the temple requires great sacrifice
Ashley
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I went through the temple for the first time in March, six months ago and it has been such a blessing to my life. I prepared hard before I went and I studied tons, but at the same time, I didn't know exactly where to start in my studies. If I had had this book then, I know I would have been able to comprehend things a little bit deeper. I'm grateful I have been able to read this book now to understand the ordinances in a broader light.

There is so much symbolism to be found in the temple, and ma
Katie W
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds, non-fiction
This is a book for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to use to understand the covenants they make in the temple better.

I thought I understood things better than I actually do. This is a great resource to read again and again. There are many scriptural references and stories to back the author's ideas up, as well as personal experiences that really bring things into focus and make it easier to apply to myself. I especially enjoyed the chapters that pertain more to what's
Rhonda
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

This is book intended for LDS audience about Temples. With a lot of sources about the Temples from scriptures, ensigns , conference talks and other books.

He treats the Temple ordinances with respect and sacredness. Gives a lot of information that I have not known or thought about with the history of covenants and Temples.

Also teaches you that the real teacher is God to listen to him and learn about him. That he will answer are prayers and teaches us. That he will always keep his covenants
Brad
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-nonfiction
This was a great book for me at a time when I felt I had stalled out in my growth through temple attendance. The author presents a primer to stimulate your thinking, challenge your assumptions, and above all to ponder upon the temple. While a good launching point for someone going to the temple for the first time and something I wish I would have read 15 years ago, it's also a good jump-start or rut-buster for longtime temple goers.
Tayler Morrell
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a Mormon book, with Mormon theology in it, so I’m sorry if it isn’t of interest to my other readers. But, it was definitely of interest to me.

For those who don’t understand, the endowment is the “ritual” of ordinances and covenants we make the first time we go through an LDS temple. A lot of it is very confusing to those who go through for the first time. Mainly, because we aren’t really sure what to expect. What happens in an LDS temple is personal and sacred dealing with our personal r
Thomas Nelson
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I'm very glad I've come upon this book. It gives me a little nudge into how to seek for greater understanding of temple service. Two heads are better than one as the saying goes. The book, for me was like a sounding board, as it awakened some of the questions I've pondered over for many years and now because of this read, I feel that I know in what direction to go in finding answers to some of my long held questions. Perhaps one very loose analogy that could be used; we are like having once live ...more
Daniel
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t have the benefit of books like this when I received my endowment, admittedly the only preparation I had was my expertise in the Old Testament (which continues to serve me well) and the advice of my bishop to study the Book of Moses. I’ve possibly attended over 100 endowment sessions in the 3.5 years since I took out my endowment (most of those in the past year thanks to working less than a half hour away from the nearest temple), and you won’t always get something out of each session. B ...more
Doris
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is not a long book. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get through. It was a very enlightening read. Not everything was new to me, but there were some deep insights that changed how I view a few things. It also reinforced a lot of what I had just read in Following the Light of Christ into His Presence by John Pontius, and a lot of what I feel I have been being taught by the Spirit about--learning by the Spirit. I need to read this again, possibly more quickly to form a more cohesive pic ...more
Tanya
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I wish I had loved this book more. Parts of it really touched me, but others just didn't connect. I feel like a lot of that is my fault, the place my mind was in while I was reading (one night I was in a really bad mood), etc. I jotted down a couple of pages of notes, and intend to read over them before the next time I go to the temple.

I find that my notes are mostly from the first half of the book with its discussion of temple symbolism. Some of Jensen's examples seemed a bit stretched (I felt
VeeDawn
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author says, "Part of the beauty of the temple’s ordinances and teaching lies in the fact that the Lord can personalize them to whatever stage we are at in our individual growth. The path to understanding requires time, effort, and experience. Sometimes it may seem a bit overwhelming. We may need some help, or at least a foundation from which to begin.
The intent of this book is to help lay that foundation and enrich your temple experience. It is written for believing Latter-day Saints who wo
Robin Bogdanski
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

This book is clearly for members of the LDS church have already received the temp on downman. By reading it and riches the meaning of the Temple increasing our learning each time we go I definitely recommend reading this book if you are Temple goer or if you want to get more out of the Temple and get closer to God
Julie
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a short book, but it was not a fast read for me. I realized that in order to get the most out of it, I needed to study it slowly and soak it up. But I'm so glad I stuck with it. I liked the genuine tone of the author and the homework at the end of each chapter. The beginning and end were my favorite parts.
Vernon Fueston
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid preparation for or explanation of the temple experience.

A good book for those preparing to attend the temple for their first experience. Also excellent for the member who has attended the temple, but believes he or she "missed something". Plenty of scriptural and doctrinal insights.
Robamyelkins
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gives great ideas about the symbolism of the temple experience while appropriately keeping sacred things sacred. It has given me more to study and ponder before going to the temple again to help make the experience more enlightening and meaningful.
Jenny Sowards
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful guide that provides greater understanding and emphasizes the importance of more completely implementing your endowment in your daily life as you continue on your mortal journey and work towards exaltation.
Sher
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
If you are an endowed member of the LDS Church, do not hesitate to read this book! It will help you understand so many of the concepts used in the temple from a historical and practical standpoint, making your temple visits so much more meaningful! I highly recommend it!
Jesse Brereton
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

This book has helped my understanding grow so much along with my love for the temple and the Savior. I recommend this book for all. It helps me understand the Temple and covenants at a while other level.
LMoody
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love the temple and I learned A LOT from this book. The book pointed out some concepts and symbols I have pondered in the past and helped me realize how profound and deep our endowment is. I plan on going back and revisiting this book again in the future.
Julie Gubler
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous in-depth book
Becky Roper
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A book on the temple intended for an LDS audience. I liked learning about the history of temples and covenants and found much food for thought.
Jessica Flory
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. So many great insights! I already want to read it again!
Sandie Mixa
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was so so helpful in understanding the endowment in the temple. I plan to read it again!
Janacy
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one took me a long time to finish as it’s not one to just rush through. It requires deep thought and application throughout. I will definitely be referring to this book for a long time 🥰
Jon Chin
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well written. The book didn't just teach, but laid out the background and meanings begins covenants in a way for you to apply and learn for yourself. The homework was helpful.
Natalie
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, the most thought provoking and helpful book I have read about endowments in a long time. I definitely recommend it to others.
William Siems
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual
This didn't hold my interest. I gave up after after about 5 chapters.

• Insights from a Prophet’s Life: Russell M. Nelson
  • No Unhallowed Hand: 1846-1893 (Saints, #2)
  • The Standard of Truth: 1815–1846 (Saints, #1)
  • Understanding the Sacred Symbolism of Temple Clothing
  • Without the Mask: Coming Out and Coming Into God's Light
  • Almighty: How the Most Powerful Being in the Universe Is Also Your Loving Heavenly Father
  • The Pilgrim Hypothesis
  • Visions of Glory: One Man's Astonishing Account of the Last Days
  • The Gold Train: World War II's Most Shocking Robbery
  • Girl on a Wire: Walking the Line Between Faith and Freedom in the Westboro Baptist Church
  • Meghan and Harry: The Real Story
  • The Washington Hypothesis
  • Even This: Getting to the Place Where You Can Trust God with Anything
  • Heaven Is Here: An Incredible Story of Hope, Triumph, and Everyday Joy
  • The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ
  • The Lincoln Hypothesis: A Modern-day Abolitionist Investigates the Possible Connection Between Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, and Abraham Lincoln
  • Led by Divine Design: Seeking for and Recognizing the Spirit