Start by marking “The Modi Effect - Inside Narendra Modi's Campaign To Transform India” as Want to Read:
The Modi Effect - Inside Narendra Modi's Campaign To Transform India

The Modi Effect - Inside Narendra Modi's Campaign To Transform India

How did a 'chai wallah' who sold tea on trains as a boy become Prime Minister of India?

On May 16, 2014, Narendra Modi was declared the winner of the largest election ever conducted anywhere in the world, having fought a campaign unlike any before.

Political parties in Britain, Australia and North America pride themselves on the sophistication of their election strategies,
Hardcover, Original, 352 pages
Published March 12th 2015 by Hodder & Stoughton

Be the first to ask a question about The Modi Effect - Inside Narendra Modi's Campaign To Transform India

Start your review of The Modi Effect - Inside Narendra Modi's Campaign To Transform India
yash ranjan
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love him or hate him, you have to respect this man. This book was just lying around my house when I thought of reading this just because I was curious as to how he started his journey, how the 2014 elections happened (I was not very politically aware at that time). This book actually served that purpose of giving a neutral and an outsider's perspective of modi's journey till the 2014 election. I was especially fascinating (and a bit sad in retrospect) by what people's expectations at that time f ...more
Rohit Ghai
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't hear about this book while it was being written (I don't think many people did), but when the story broke, it was quite close to the release of the book. The snippets that appeared in the media more than whetted my appetite and I grabbed the book when it finally was available.

So was it good?

Let me start at the beginning with a disclaimer. I am an ardent fan of Narendra Modi. I closely followed every aspect of this election, and the period of two years leading up to the culmination. This
Nithesh
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
The book didn't reveal any "big" secrets about the Modi campaign. Some explanations about the finer details like announcing candidates in the fag end of campaign and saving interviews for the very last were the few new things in the book. Apparently, even Rahul Gandhi was approached to set up a social media capmpaign which he refused because the average voter was generally "poor"

It is a book written mostly for the outside world which did not follow the election as keenly as a curious news junkie
Madhuri Kudva
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I admire this book for many reasons:
1. The PM hired a foreign political journalist to write a book on his election campaign
2. He was given enough space to form his own opinions, agree as well as disagree and express his observations freely
3. The perspective of the election campaign was from a global, outsiders lens, fascinating to look at your own country from this dimension.
4. In many parts of the book, the author has made connections with the challenges of our election campaign with those of
Amit
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book describes how Narendra Modi elevated himself for the highest job in the country. It gives you an inside look into the massive campaign for the 2014 general election and how Modi himself launched and fought from the front. I personally found this book to be quiet unbiased towards any one ideology and the author mostly tried to showcase both positive and negative traits. Overall, it's a good read if you are interested in politics.
Mike
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m not much given to reading books on politicians, but this one on India’s new Prime Minister is fascinating. It’s less a biography than an overview of the extraordinary campaign that put Modi into India’s top position, most of it run ˗ indeed, micro-managed ˗ by the man himself.

Modi has his faults, and some of them arise in the book, but compared to the generally corrupt and bribe-ridden system that is Indian politics, he comes out as a man of considerable integrity. Having begun life in one
Ronak Patel
May 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
If you are looking for an insight about the general election campaign of Narendra Modi in 2014, don't go for this book.

However, if you absolutely disconnected to politics & election then you might find some things about campaign & the man himself.

Also, the author in the beginning of the book itself gives his opinion of the man & his party which is kind of not fair, if at all he wanted to voice his opinion, towards end of the book would have been better. It sounds like he is little bit annoyed &
Shashank Vaze
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The year 2014 has been an exciting, energizing and electrifying year for Indian politics. This General Election has been an important turning point for the India in days to come. Thanks to the blitzkrieg election engineering done by BJP and Modi. This book unravels the stories behind the curtains which will ever-memorable in the lives of people who were part of Team BJP - Team Modi. The interesting part to look forward to in the coming years is will the Indomitable Will of Narendra Modi fade off ...more
Prasannajeet Pani
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Going inside the campaign which got the political leader with the largest number of votes in the world, the author presents what appears as a outsider and unbiased account of the BJP 272+ machinery.
Muthu Raj
Gives details into Modi campaign with impressive details. But the writing style is bland and disappointing in terms of even cursorial analysis.
Diocletian
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I knew little of Modi before I read this book, which I picked up on a whim. What I learnt was that, he is a highly arrogant, egomaniac with delusions of grandeur. He refers to himself in the third person (which is a red flag right there) and takes advice from his astrologer. What kind of person has a suit tailored that has your name stitched into it over a thousand times? Worryingly, you can draw many parallels with Trump's campaign for America: divisiveness, attacking the media/using social med ...more
Aditi Mukherjee
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This book could very well have been named - The determined Prime Minister (After Ex Prime Minister's Manmohan Singh's book 'The Accidental Prime Minister.') For someone who hasn't read much about Narendra Modi, it is a good book to make a beginning with, although as the title suggests, it primarily covers his 2014 election campaign that led to his eventual landslide victory.

And while Lance Price attempts to be neutral, it is easy to fathom that he is quite taken by the charisma of our national
Sry Handini Puteri
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I am not a fan of Narendra Modi nor keeping up with his journey as Prime Minister through news portal. So as a disclaimer, my point of view will probably come from a complete stranger to the issue of India.

The first time I read about the quote summary behind the book, I was caught up. The quote said, "How did a 'chai wala' who sold tea on trains as a boy become Prime Minister of India?". I was expecting a story of hardship, full of struggle and the suffering of Narendra Modi from his childhood.
CSin
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book right after finishing Rajdeep Sardesai's account of the 2014 Indian elections and yet found both the books equally valuable. Since both the books have been written by veterans in their field, it was equally fascinating to experience the landmark journey of 2014 Indian election from the viewpoints of both an Indian and a British political commentator. Bench marking the personality traits of Indian politicians, policies and culture of Indian politics with those observed around the ...more
Kaustubh Kirti
A captivating account of the 2014 election which were probably one of the largest in the world. THe book deals in details with various nuances and scenarios leading up to the election. IN the tale the author touches right from childhood Modi to the digital man he is known today.

Good read and food for though for a foreign audience however I feel Indian audience need more behind the scene drama. Author tries to put the picture through phases like Jat consolidation post Muzaffarnagar Riots, the Am
SHANKU SHARMA
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book sums up Prime Minister Narendra Modi's campaign in order to bring changes in the country. Every aptly, vividly, precisely and lucidly Lance Price has described the inner workings of an election campaign. Modi is certainly the household name and the book does not contradicts it. The journey of a man from being a tea vendor to a Prime Minister of the world's largest democratic country has been well presented and projected before the readers by Price. One of the most important feature of t ...more
Shreyas
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Logistics behind the scenes of it and the grandeur of the campaign are only two insights one gets from this book. Sources of the book are mostly interviews with Modi and other bjp leaders, or collaborators in the campaign. Personal interviews of leaders of other parties, new conclusions backed by authors own analysis of previously unknown data are missing. Opinions of almost all congress leaders are sourced from their media interviews. It resembles a comprehensive but typical news report of the ...more
Nandita Patyal
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book talks all about the 'who', 'what' & 'how' of 2014 Indian prime ministerial election which was won by BJP. It gives you a sneak peek into Indian politics and takes you back to the election campaigning times when the political parties are trying to woo the Indian voters.
The most Interesting part of the book is that author has very independently reviewed all the activities and incidents during that period from a third person's point of view.
If you're curious to know about the success of
Sumit Agrawal
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book covers in depth the details of the 2014 BJP election campaign. Although I loved the narrative, I am not very impressed with the writing. The information provided in the book is more in terms of the details of the campaign and less in terms of commentary or perspective on the election. Overall, a good read for anyone looking to understand the kind of effort that goes behind an Indian election campaign and how great leaders display attention to detail when it comes to winning big.
Durgesh Bhende
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is the answer to those who think Modi was only elected as a Pm candidate in Goa by parliamentary committee of BJP. This book reflects his preparation for PM candidate ship from 2012 when he won Gujarat Elections for 3 straight time.

This book is also a "Must read" because its author as he is neither Pro BJP nor Anti BJP. One can also make out hwy Modi's foreign policy is so strong after reading this Book.

I will rate this book 4 stars.
Sapthagiri
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Electrifying Effect!

Thank you Mr. Sanjay Jalan for recommending this book. Brilliant work by Lance Price.
Detailed account of strategies used by NaMo and his party during the 2014 elections.
We all might know that NaMo had a team to look after his campaign, yet not many know why, how and what of it.
A must read to understand the importance of Political Communication to the Masses.
Arun Narasimhan
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Does not go deep enough to analyse the reasons for Modi’s landmark victory in the 2014 General Elections. Instead goes over the same details that mainstream media themselves covered in good detail during the elections.
Hasan
Overall a good book as it gives the perspective of a political machinery behind one man who took on the Indian establishment and won despite his name being tarnished. Good book for students of political communications.
Loz
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting intro to Indian politics

Good intro to Indian politics if you are ignorant like me, probably not so good if you are already well informed. A good amount of background info to put events in context but sticks to main focus of the electoral campaign.
Neeti
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5, rounded off to 4.
somashekhar
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its a must read.

A very detailed analysis of the 2014 elections.An unbiased account from an outsider.An extremely detailed BJP strategy told in a simple manner
SP
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read I would say. Shows what someone’s journey from no one to someone most powerful in nation.
Sridar Shankar
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written book with the author not biased. An insight on electioneering. It's great to read it 4yrs later so as to get an idea of what was promised and what is given.
Vipul Srivastava
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Truly unbiased.......as such, this one quality, in itself, can be called the most important reason for rating this book "5-star".....
Priyesh Jain
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Talks about the innovations in Narendra Modi's 2014 election campaign. Good read.

• India After Gandhi: The History of the World's Largest Democracy
  • Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israeli Secret Service
  • The Accidental Prime Minister (The Making and Unmaking of Manmohan Singh)
  • Our Moon Has Blood Clots: The Exodus of the Kashmiri Pandits
  • Everybody Loves a Good Drought
  • Being the Other: The Muslim in India
  • Democracy on the Road
  • The Tiger Ladies
  • Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, The Little Book of Lykke, Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • A Slip under the Microscope