Start by marking “Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)” as Want to Read:
Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)

Getting Old Is to Die For

(Gladdy Gold #4)

Gladdy Gold may have gone from dyed-in-the-wool New Yorker to South Florida retiree, but she’s loving every minute of it. Between poolside gossip, a hot-to-trot boyfriend, and a booming detective business, life couldn’t be sunnier—until a trip back north with her sister Evvie leads to murder and mayhem starring the usual suspects.

Unbeknownst to Gladdy, her fellow detective
Published December 26th 2007 by Dell (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Old Is to Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Old Is to Die For

Drebbles
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
It’s been 47 years, but Gladdy Gold has never quite gotten over the death of her husband. Her boyfriend, Jack, wants their relationship to grow deeper so, unbeknownst to Gladdy, he travels from Florida to New York to try and find out, after all these years, who murdered Gladdy’s husband. While he’s doing that, Gladdy is in Florida working with her friends solving cases with their thriving detective agency. Unaware of what Jack is doing Gladdy thinks their relationship is over. Jack hopes it is j ...more
Tory Wagner
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The "Getting Old ..." series features a team of elderly women living in Fort Lauderdale, FL. They work together to solve mysteries under their leader Gladdy. In this book, Gladdy's boyfriend decides to solve the mystery of her husband who was murdered in NYC when Gladdy was a young woman with a child. While Jack is trying to solve this mystery, the team of women are solving other mysteries including why a young woman refuses to visit her parents as well as the capture of a church thief. The char ...more
D. Wickles
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this series with the ladies of the Gladdy Gold Private Investigations. They are hilarious!
Josi
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Another enjoyable Gladdy Gold book. I liked the change of scenery. I also liked getting to meet their kids and grandkids.
Paul Pessolano
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I have been asked many times to suggest a good mystery that does not contain sexual content or explicit language. Quite honestly, it is not easy to come with many titles that honor these requests. However, I just finished one.

"Getting Old is to Die For" stars Gladdy Gold and her troup of girlfriends, the youngest of which is 71 years old. They are living in a retirement village in Florida adn keep active by solving crimes. Gladdy is being pursued by Jack Langford who is a former New York detecti
Spuddie
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There aren't many cozy mystery series I actively enjoy, but this is one of them. Gladdy Gold, age 75, lives in a condo complex in Ft. Lauderdale and she and her sister Evvie and three other aged ladies form the Gladdy Gold Detective Agency. They're a hoot and a half, and after four books now, I can picture each of "the girls" in my mind's eye very clearly.

In this book, Gladdy is trying to help her sister Evvie get over the loss of her boyfriend Phillip (who turned out to be a bad guy in the las
Marty
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun read about a group of 5 women, living in a senior retirement place in Florida who form a detective agency that advertises “Senior Sleuths for the Senior Citizen.” Gladdy Gold and Associates are all in their 70s. Gladdy is maybe in love with Jack, a retired NY cop, but can’t really be free of her first husband – also named Jack. Jack (1st husband) was murdered in NY when their daughter was 11. Jack’s killer was never found. Jack (retired cop) thinks that if he goes back to NY and solves the ...more
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Gladdy Gold series I've read, and while I would probably have been better off reading them in order, I was delighted with the introduction to these elderly sleuths, and the evolving love story between Gladdy and Jack. As a New Yorker, I appreciated their detour to New York, and while I was skeptical about the premise of solving an old mystery, Rita Lakin pulls it off. This mystery does have a dark twist, as befitting a woman whose husband was murdered and whose fami ...more
Ed
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, humor
#4 in the Gladdy Gold series. This series, about 5 retired / widowed women in a condo complex in FL keeps getting better. The five have formed a detective agency and solve cases ranging from murder, to a peeping tom in the complex, to a woman who won't respond to calls from her parents about their pending 70th wedding anniversary.
The novels are infused with humor and doses of Yiddish.

Gladdy Gold series - Gladdy and Evvie head north to visit family in NYC and Connecticut respectively. Gladdy is u
Kathryn
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a cozy series. The main characters are a group of senior citizens that live in a community in Florida. I read the paperback version of this book and have to say that I wish more books included the information this one did. Inside the front cover was a list of all the characters - with a brief description, a map of the area involved, and a translation of Yiddish terms used throughout the book. I found the characters well developed and the dialogue flowed very well. I wil ...more
edifanob
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This is the fourth book of the GLADDY GOLD series
A N D
I love it.

Gladdy and her gang - each of them older than 70 - discover mysteries of the path and get to know again how valuable friendship and family is.

This time they head for New York......

Fortunately 5th volume "Getting Old is a Disaster" has been released in December 2008 and Rita Lakin is working on the next one: "Getting Old is Très Dangereux"

So get a cup of coffee and tea, a plate with cookies and enter you sofa.....
You will not leave
Nancy
Sep 09, 2010 rated it liked it
I love Rita Lakin's books. They're funny, just a touch irreverent, and not meant to be taken too seriously. That said, I liked the first three books in this series better than I did this one. While this one has some excellent moments, it also had too much exposition. I felt I was told more of the story than I got to experience with Gladys and the girls. I hope that changes back with the fifth book, which I will definitely read.
Nicole
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really don't know what to say about the Gladdy Gold books. I love them! Although this one is not my favorite. There was no real mystery. Unless you count the search for the murderer of Gladdy's first husband. I missed the real murder mystery. Nonetheless, it was a fun read and I loved the girls! They just packed their stuff, after Gladdy and Evvie decide to go to their families, and go to New York for their own adventure! It's not a huge review, but I don't think the Gladdy books need that!
Emilia
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore the pack of elderly detectives! This one did not disappoint me again :D Though a bit more serious as Jack goes to New York to try to solve the very old case - the murder of Gladdy's first husband...
And of course - the whole gang meats up there "accidentally", each of them solving their own mystery...
:D
Sylvia O
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
For some reason I found this book hard to get into, but once I did, I enjoyed it. The story lines range from heartwarming to heart breaking to silly, but are all well-told. This is the second book I've read in this series. The series is definitely more cozy than mystery, but the books are reasonably well-written and an enjoyable way to spend a few hours.
D.L. Williams
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I meant to pick up Getting old is a disaster, which was a 2010 left award winner. Instead I picked up this book. It was a cute story, weaved back and forth between 1961 and present. The characters are Yiddish, set in their ways, usually mad at each other. This was a story within a story. I hope I like Getting old is a disaster more than I liked this one.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The murder in this book was an old cold case. I liked how it was handled. Not the outcome expected, however, very realistic. The other mystery was another lesson in life, then the 3rd mystery was just fun.

Every book this Author writes is a winner for me.
Carol Ann
May 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This started out as a little too sugary for my taste, but before I knew it, I was a quarter way through and finished it later that evening. This story offends no one, is high on family, and was a pleasant read.
Susan Jo Grassi
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. As a "Seasoned Citizen", I can relate to these wonderful ladies and their antics. Each book in this series has just the right amount of danger and humor with a little romance thrown in for good measure. My only regret is that there are not 100 more to read.
Kathleen Hagen
Getting Old is to Die For, by Rita Lakin, b-plus, Borrowed from the Library of Congress National Library for the Blind.

Another in the series about Gladdy Gold and her old ladies unlicensed amateur PI agency. Quite entertaining.
Harry Connolly
Quote from the book: "Even though she's thirty-eight and chubby, her outfits make her look happy and friendly."

I didn't read any further than that.
Doris
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I was disappointed in the ending. It seemed too soft and wimpy of a solution.
Melanie
Dec 05, 2009 rated it liked it
The girls show that they too can ferret out the bad guys without Goldy. Thank goodness Goldy and Jack have come to their senses and are ready to move on to a real relationship.
Ann
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Light reading, but cute - nice series about Jewish retirees in South Florida. When finishing a really deep book, this is a nice change.
Linda Appelbaum
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another fun romp with Gladdy Gold and her pals!
Bianca
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great read... a wonderful cozy mystery for all to enjoy! And the end was very romantic....
Donna
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book even though it is pure fluff.
Erin
May 02, 2009 rated it liked it
4th in the series.... very amusing and this one was cool because it had unexpected twists. It was sad to see what happened to the girl Jack 1 had saved. :(
Carol
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Like all the other Gladdy Gold stories, this one is light fluff. Great to read when you're in the mood for a cute story that will make you smile along the way.
Nikki
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm partial to this kind of series. A 'Whodunit' in a retirement community. Love the personalities!

• Blind Man's Alley
  • Commuters
  • Hades
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy, #8)
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Curse of the Ruby Necklace (Sweet Valley Twins Super Chiller, #5)
  • Red Club Temptation
  • Under Darkness (Darkwing Chronicles, #5)
  • Ravish: The Awakening of Sleeping Beauty
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Murder Well-Done (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #4)
  • Keeping Christmas
After being widowed at a young age with three small children, Rita Lakin began an extensive writing career, which has included staff writing on television programs such as Peyton Place, Mod Squad, Dynasty, and Strong Medicine, as well as creating original series such as The Rookies. She has won an Edgar Allen Poe award for her screenwriting, as well as receiving several other award nominations, an ...more

Gladdy Gold (8 books)
  • Getting Old Is Murder (Gladdy Gold, #1)
  • Getting Old Is the Best Revenge (Gladdy Gold, #2)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Getting Old Can Kill You (Gladdy Gold, #7)
  • Getting Old Can Hurt You (Gladdy Gold, #8)