Start by marking “Drift & Dagger (Salt & Storm, #2)” as Want to Read:
Drift & Dagger (Salt & Storm, #2)

Drift & Dagger

(Salt & Storm #2)

I’ve always been a monster. And monsters destroy things. Things like magic and friendships and futures.

Mal used to have a home, a best friend, and a secret. But he lost all three on the day Essie Roe exposed him as a blank. Blanks cannot be cursed or saved or killed by magic. And everyone is afraid of them—even Mal himself.

Now Mal travels the world in search of dangerous a
Published September 8th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Let me get this out of the way first. Drift & Dagger is a companion book to Salt & Storm, which I'm not at all interested in (too much romance for me). But Drift is a heist novel in a fantasy setting, and you know how I am about those. Reviews say it can be read separately, and even advise reading Drift first, so I did. And yes, Drift stands alone just fine.

Drift & Dagger is set in nineteenth century New England, at the height of the whaling industry, and you can practically smell th
Once
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is something special about Kendall’s writing that draws me in from the very beginning of her stories. Twice I’ve been entranced. Twice I was left with a hunger for more.

Drift & Dagger’s world is so brilliantly constructed and well described that it makes me think I am part of it. Or that I’m watching an epic movie. I am dead serious, I love her writing.

This story takes you to world filled with magic. A place in which magic is so common that if you do not possess any sort you are consid
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Full review on ItsJaneLindsey.

Drift & Dagger is the companion novel to Kendall Kulper’s 2014 debut Salt & Storm. Set in the same world of whaling and witches and magic, I was intrigued to get another perspective from a different generation after reading Avery Roe’s tale in Salt & Storm. Salt & Storm was good – an enjoyable historical fantasy, even if I couldn’t quite connect with Avery. But after reading the synopsis of Drift & Dagger, I couldn’t pass it up. Excuse the awful
Chelsea
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Definitely some mixed feelings here, but for the most part I really enjoyed this one! 3 stars

First of all, the cover change. UGH WHY.
Just go look at the cover for Salt & Storm and then look at this cover. Who thought this would be more likely to catch your eye? It was actually the cover that made me read the first book, so it really annoys me that they changed it to this generic ugly cover.

Anyway, I loved the first book, mostly due to Kendall Kulper’s wonderful atmospheric writing that was
kim hannah
I liked it but I also didn't. I found it slow. I love how she sets up her places and her characters. But for this book particularly I felt like she just went around in circles. That's what annoyed me. I would've loved it if it wasn't for that.
Muhammad Ozair
This book had me hooked nearly from the beginning.The plot was so nicely woven,the story had so much potential.It always kept me on my toes(Metaphorically.....)there was always some twist just waiting to happen and if not for 2 things this is a 5 star book.The suggestiveness near the end and the very ending was so lame compared to the rest of the book.

Stuff I enjoyed:
1.I like concepts with potential and the whole Blankness virtually screamed potential.
2.Its full of suspense,you imagine one thing
hpboy13
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Drift & Dagger takes place in a world much like our own, except it is infused with magic. And in a world where magic is commonplace, Mal is a blank – someone on whom magic doesn’t work. This makes him a pariah. So he teams up with a thief named Boone, hunting down magical treasures that Mal is uniquely equipped to steal since their magic can’t affect him. And all the while, Mal dreams of revenge on Essie, his childhood friend who exposed his secret.

This is one of the most exciting YA fantasi
Hilary
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I won an ARC of Drift and Dagger in a giveaway on Goodreads. (THANK YOU!)

Beautiful book. Imaginative and captivating, it makes for a quick read. Kulper creates a believable, magical world that sucks you right in from the first page.

Mal is an orphan boy who is struggling with the fact that he is different. In a world where magic is revered and highly sought after, he is a blank, or someone who is not affected by magic. Rumors that blanks are the scum of the earth, that they "eventually become th
Kirsty-Marie Jones
(More 4.5)

I loved The Witch of Salt and Storm last year, it was something different, the writing was gorgeous, the characters were strong, the plot so damn clever and an ending that was true to the story and its main character.

That being said, The Magic Thief is on a whole other level. Although it is centred and tied to Prince Island, we get to explore with Mal outside of the island and see the effect magic has and the way it's used in other parts of the world. We also get sneaky fun with Boone
Stephanie
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, owned-books
I ...really liked this book? It was a little quiet in moments, and not as much action as I was expecting, but it all worked in the end. Hm.
16LeslieC
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book expecting it to be a stereotypical fantasy book however this book opens up so many doors of imagination and really did hook me into the plot, if you have a lot of spare, pick this up I highly recommend it!
Glyn Ashworth-Cobban (Reviews)
Please Note:
(a) The Magic Thief has also been published under the name Drift & Dagger, both of which are companion novels to The Witch Of Salt & Storm (or Salt & Storm), which was the 2014 debut of the american author, Kendall Kulper.
(b) It is highly suggested by reviewers who have read both these novels to read The Magic Thief before The Witch Of Salt & Storm.
---
The Magic Thief is published under the genre of Young Adult Historical Fantasy, and is set in 19th Century New England
Chris
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
"I've always been a monster," begins the jacket flap of Drift & Dagger. Mal keeps that a secret, though. More openly, he's something of a cross between a pirate, thief, smuggler, archeologist, and bounty hunter. He is a world-traveling adventurer who specializes in acquiring and selling magical artifacts, often through underhanded means. He frequents ports and bazaars, black markets and bars, dense slums and dense jungles and everything in between. He's lived his teen years in underworlds ac ...more
Benjamin
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
In mal’s world magic is used by everyone besides those like Mal who is a blank, a person that is unable to be harmed or saved by magic. Beginning during Mals childhood the book tells about his best friend Essie Roe who is a witch and the only one that knows his secret. Years go by and everything is perfect till Essie tells everyone on their island home what Mal is. People began to panic because blanks are rumored to be monsters. So Mal is forced off the island where he meets a thief named Boone ...more
Deanna
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this novel, Kendall Kulper creates something special to where it draws the reader in from the very beginning. This book is set on an island in a world of witches and magic. I liked how it was in the point of view of Mal and not the author. The main character Mal and his best-friend Essie were about 8-9 years old. Essie's mother was a famous witch with powerful powers. One day Essie exposed that Mal had no powers unlike most of the other people on the Island. He was considers a “blank”. Withou ...more
Nicole
4.5 stars.

Drift & Dagger is a companion novel to Salt & Storm. We met Essie in Salt & Storm and now we get to hop back in time to when Essie is younger. Through a gentleman named Mal (short for Malcolm), we find out who Essie is. Just like Salt & Storm, the novel is a historical fantasy. What I love about this novel is all the traveling Mal does with his partner in crime, Boone. A life as a hunter of magical objects is dangerous but Mal has nothing to lose. At least he can confi
Yip Jung Hon
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading both Salt and Storm and Drift and Dagger, I must say that I really appreciate Kulper's bold and unabashed style. Both novels are refreshing. Her writing draws the reader in, and they speak to an innate desire in the reader to see the world unveiled in all its glory. Drift and Dagger might seem like the run-out-of-the-mill romance novel, but there are hard morals behind its story. Personally, I feel that this is an underrated book. Kulper once again proves that she is a wizard at de ...more
Kathy Ellison
The cover of this book is not a match for it in my opinion. I had no idea that this book was historical and also involved magic. Pictured on the front is the main character, Mal, who lives in the nineteenth century when whaling ships searched the ocean for oil. Mal is a "blank." A blank is someone who can't be affected by magic. This is a very dangerous thing to be in this world and it is a secret he has to hide from others. Mal and his partner, Boone, are hunters who go find magical objects to ...more
Catherine
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books
A well woven story about Mal, a blank who can't be affected by magic is forced to leave the only place he has known as home due to being exposed for what he is. Having traveled the world, it brings him back to Essie, the girl he once called friend, but has always loved. This teaches him to face his inner demons and to find what freedom really means.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Jennie
Cover Story: Nineteenth Century Layered Look
BFF Charm: Maybe
Swoonworthy Scale: 2
Talky Talk: Devil Inside
Bonus Factor: Standalone
Relationship Status: Part of Your World

Read the full book report here.
Izzy Watson
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made me think of myself. The boy was put down for something he had that was shamed by other people and that not many people had. He got bullied for being different and it reminds me of how I've been treated. It's a great book that makes you think deeper even though it's an easy read.
Kristen
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Devastating and romantic. What can I say? I'm a sucker for books about heists, forbidden romance, magic, and the sea, and this one had all of the above.
Jenn
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I loved this. Even more than Salt & Storm, which I adored! Mal is just so awesome! And I love how evocative of place Kendall Kulper is!
Rianne
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's a fun and interesting story but it was a little predictable...I liked reading it but it isn't one of my favourite books
Christina Reid
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I initially picked up this book due to the description, then put it to one side once I realised that it was apparently the second in a series. After reading both, I would actually say that this is like a companion novel and could be read before or after the first book, The Witch of Salt and Storm. In many ways, i actually liked this book more than the first one because I loved Mal as a character, we got to see more of the magical world and the rules surrounding the use and misuse of magic and it ...more
Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex
It was rather slow to get started and I didn't love it, but overall it was a solid read. I loved the setting with whaling ships and magic, but I couldn't connect with the main character. He felt very immature and I thought he might be being set up to have some kind of mental health issue, but then (view spoiler) ...more
Kes
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2017
3.5 stars, rounded down.

Read this as a standalone book and it worked. It's a coming-of-age story that deals a lot with Mal getting comfortable with who he is - a blank. I understood Essie's difficulty with becoming a Roe witch, but I liked that the end of it was both of them moving on as separate individuals.

It's an interesting world, and I liked the seafaring and travelling involved.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Narrated by Mel, Kulper's plot is a maritime adventure that begins on Prince Island,
then crosses the ocean to Paris and Constantinople.
The fantasy elements work with the brief historical references.

The story also reminded me of the song: "Brandy," which is about a sailor and the girl
he leaves behind in port.
Jasynda
It started really great, and had a great story line to follow. I felt, although, it was just a little too much; describing past or what a Blank is and history of blank. One chapter great but just felt too much description to give it 4 stars. But still loved the story and where it was going.
Liza-Marie
I enjoyed Avery’s story more, but this was a satisfying read!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Black Butterfly
  • Love & Profanity
  • Familiar Things (A Book of All Hollows, #1)
  • Face of Death (Touch of Death, #3)
  • Demon Derby
  • Harmonic (Dissonance, #1.5)
  • The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl (The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl #1)
  • Where the Rock Splits the Sky
  • The Blind Wish (The Jinni Wars, #2)
  • Razorhurst
  • The Backstagers and the Ghost Light (Backstagers #1)
  • Nobody's Secret
  • The Meme Plague (Memento Nora, #3)
  • Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2)
  • Onibi : Carnets du Japon invisible
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Skandal (Sekret, #2)
  • Raising the Stakes
Kendall Kulper is the author of SALT & STORM, a Young Adult historical fantasy to be published by Little, Brown in September 2014. She grew up in the wilds of New Jersey and currently lives in Boston with her economist husband, Dave, and Abby, her chronically-anxious Australian Shepherd.

Salt & Storm (2 books)
  • Salt & Storm (Salt & Storm, #1)
“I didn't want him to know that I thought it was worth it, that pain, that humiliation, it was worth it, and even if I had been killed it would have been worth it, because, if only for a night, I'd fallen in love.” 0 likes