Start by marking “Every Last Word” as Want to Read:
Every Last Word

Every Last Word

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  28,674 ratings  ·  4,057 reviews
If you could read my mind, you wouldn't be smiling.

Samantha McAllister looks just like the rest of the popular girls in her junior class. But hidden beneath the straightened hair and expertly applied makeup is a secret that her friends would never understand: Sam has Purely-Obsessional OCD and is consumed by a stream of dark thoughts and worries that she can't turn off.

Se
Published June 16th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Every Last Word, please sign up.
clairebear713 It's not accurate at all. I have OCD and this book has the "love cures all" trope. I have obsessions and compulsions, and the book doesn't explain the…moreIt's not accurate at all. I have OCD and this book has the "love cures all" trope. I have obsessions and compulsions, and the book doesn't explain the thought spirals at all. It will just say "thoughts" and that's it. There is no description of what the thoughts are or what they are about. This book was hurtful to read, because I felt like it portrayed OCD terribly. (less)
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny HanThe Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie WestAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenSaint Anything by Sarah DessenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
2015 Contemporary YA
256 books — 1,362 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,468 books — 8,855 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This book is a saccharine sweet fairy tale version of a very real mental illness, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), as well as the very serious issue of bullying, without true emotional depth. It's the equivalent of ordering a black coffee at Starbucks, taking a sip, only to find out that you've been given a caramel mocha instead. It is unrealistic, it is a Disney-fied version of real life, complete with a happy ending.

Real life doesn't work that way. Mental illnesses don't work that way. I k
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5)

This was a really nice read and I think it dealt with mental illness in a respectful way, but I did find it to be a bit inconsistent at times. For the most part I enjoyed it and I loved the poetry aspect of the story.
Lola
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Great. Thank you, book. Knowing what I now know, I’ll have to read you all over again. Bet you’re real happy right now, aren’t ya?

Mind-blowing, unexpected turn of events.

I fell head over heels for this EVERY LAST WORD heart-warming creature.

It’s a lyrical, theme-filled and romantic story about OCD-sufferer Samantha McAllister. She’s obsessed about the number 3, among other things. But no one can know about that, especially not her popular bitchy friends, the Eights.

With the help of Ca
Kassidy
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very beautiful and touching story.
C.G. Drews
FINALLY! A mental health book with excellent rep. I'm so...I'm so freaking emotional right now?! This was incredible and you could feel the realism, the love, and the respect on every page. It also totally highlights how having a mental illness can be devastating, but noooo it doesn't have to ruin your life. Your brain being different isn't crazy or broken or wrong and I just...

thankkkkk you to this book for existing. I feel like I've read so many crappy reps of mental illness lately it's just e
Sophia
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
i cried for nearly the entire last fifty pages and i can't even tell you why. it's not even sad?? this book is just really beautiful and very well done and so important. i need to go wipe my nose.
Jessica
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

What a beautiful book. . Definitely one of the best contemporary books I've read this year. Sam's story was so moving and my heart was honestly pounding towards the end. This book touches on some really serious topics like depression, anxiety, and mental disorders, but I thought that Tamara Ireland Stone did it beautifully. One of my favorite parts (which was a huge part) was the poetry in this book. This is the type of bo
Josu Grilli
#LCÚltimaPalabra

Tras dos intensos días de lectura, finalmente he terminado de leer Hasta la última palabra. Tamara es una autora que nunca había tocado y que poco me interesaba... hasta ahora. La manera en la que trata temas complicados, como es el caso del trastorno obsesivo-compulsivo en adolescentes, me ha gustado muchísimo, y espero que con esta reseña os convenza a leer esta obra.

La protagonista de la novela, quien padece el trastorno comentado, me ha parecido un personaje más complejo de l
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, anxiety
Special thanks to NetGalley and Disney Hyperion for this review copy!
This book was phenomenal. It was one of the best young adult contemporaries that I've read that deals with mental illness. The main character, Sam, has OCD which is an anxiety disorder. I suffer from an anxiety disorder too, so I really wanted to read this and see how I could connect with it and how well Tamara Ireland Stone portrayed it. I have to say, she did this fantastically. You really get a feel for what it's like to go
Laura Lovely
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-3
Oh my god. I actually have no words.
Beverly
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
O.M.G. this book, I loved it, like legit loved it. It starts out odd, but I think that’s just because I wasn’t really sure what I was getting into, but once I got into it I fell in love!

“Everyone’s got something. Some people are just better actors than others.”

Samantha McAlister is one of the most popular girls in school, from the outside looking in her life is perfect. She is pretty, intelligent, and friends with the right people. No one knows she suffers from OCD, which is real a testamen
Wendy Darling
Hm. Really interesting look at a teen with OCD. I'm not entirely sure everything the book tried to tackle actually worked--there's a lot going on here--but there is an interesting twist, and the story kept my interest overall.

More thinking required on this one.
Emma Giordano
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Here is my full, spoiler free review for this book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlekVG... it was absolutely amazing and I hope everyone gives this beautiful story a chance x

I received a free copy of this book from Disney Hyperion in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
FINALLLYYYYY on sale!!! Go buy it!!! NOOOW! Click HERE to purchase

If you could read my mind, you wouldn't be smiling.

Sometimes a book just calls to you. Sometimes it consumes your every waking thought until you can finally pick it up. Sometimes.....when you get an opportunity to read a book before anyone else you realize just how lucky you are, because you just knew from the moment you saw it that it was going to be special, perfect, just what you've been dying to read. That's exactly how I fe
Christy
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

photo 023cd4b8-a0aa-40c8-badd-495d15cfbd95_zpstds94l30.jpg

4 stars for my 4th YA book of the year!

Every Last Word is a story about a teenage girl who is dealing with OCD. Samantha McAllister appears to be perfect on the outside, but inside she's a mess. She constantly worries about her friends finding out about her condition and the fact that she sees a psychiatrist. When Sam meets Caroline and gets introduced to the kids in Poet's Corner, everything changes for her. She finds herself coming out of her shell and embracing who she is.

Samantha
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars!!

I don’t know what I expected reading this book, but I expected something a little different. It wasn’t the best book I’ve read with this premise, but it wasn’t the worst either. Honestly I expected something more emotional and/or more moving. Needless to say the author failed (a little) to keep me truly invested in the story. It was a good story, like my rating says, but it could have been much better if it would have been longer.

“Every Last Word” is the story of Samantha ‘Sam’, a gi
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and NetGalley.)

“My friends can’t know about my OCD or the debilitating, uncontrollable thoughts, because my friends are normal. And perfect. They pride themselves on normalcy and perfection, and they can’t ever find out how far I am from those two things.”

This was a YA story about a girl with OCD.

I felt quite sorry for Sam in this story, her friends obviously made her feel quite awkw
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

“If you could read my mind, you wouldn't be smiling.”

Every Last Word is the story of Sam, a teenage girl with a debilitating case of OCD. Not the kind like you and I think, where it's like people keeping things nice and neat, but one that messes with her sense of reality. One of the popular girls at school, she is forever in fear of her group of friends finding out her secret and ridiculing her for it.

One day she discovers a new group of people at school she never really noticed be
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Such an unexpected powerful and moving read. I’m still forcing these foreign lumps in my throat back in as I’m writing this review. I have read countless books on mental illness but I find this book very exceptional because of the constructive and encouraging way the author portrayed a teenage girl with OCD. I appreciate so much the relationship between Sam and her psychiatrist, even involving Sam’s mom in actually contributing with her therapy at home. I love that their talk therapy s
grace
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5!! This was incredible and so unexpected. Go read this!!
May
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
UNA NOVELA DIFERENTE, SENCILLA Y CERCANA.

Hasta la última palabra es la nueva novela de Tamara Ireland Stone, una autora que me cautivó con El tiempo entre nosotros y su secuela Una y otra vez. Esta vez viene con una novela juvenil contemporánea que tiene como protagonista a una joven que tiene un TOC (transtorno obsesivo compulsivo).
Ya a simple vista Hasta la última palabra me parecía una novela diferente. Sin duda, el tener a una protagonista que padece un TOC la hace diferente. Ya no porque
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Every Last Word is one of those books that had me wanting to smash it into a pulp from page 1, but had me sniffling a bit during the last few chapters.

This story follows Sam, a girl dealing who was diagnosed with Purely Obsessional OCD (aka Pure-O) at the age of 11. While she may look perfectly fine on the outside, each day she is battling with the uncontrollable thoughts that consume her.

I wasn't quite sure I picked up the same book as everyone else
Andie
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just wow!! I love this book to pieces! Added to my top reads of 2015. I found so much of myself in Sam and I was sad when her story ended too soon. Everyone needs to grab a copy of this book! You'll be glad you did :)
Charley Cook
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think everyone who thinks it's okay to throw about the term 'OCD' when they talk about how they like a clean bedroom should read this book. YA fiction based around the reality of mental illness at its finest.
See my full video review here: https://youtu.be/36YPI1tqKGU
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

These walls heard

for the better.

It wasn’t enough.
But they heard
Every last word.

This is a very surprising book. Look at the glowing reviews because the hype is real.

A lot of us frequently use “OCD” figuratively. Nowadays, “OCD” is synonymous to the word perfectionist, a person who likes things in order, or a person who is neat. We throw this word very lightly, but do we honestly know what it
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I really enjoyed this book. I don't normally enjoy contemporaries that take place in a high school setting but this felt different. I will admit that The writing style is fairly simplistic and the narrator often over explains things. But the main character is very endearing and I enjoyed her journey immensely. There was just something sweet about this book and I feel like it would be very helpful for teens struggling with mental health. It reinforces the message that everyone is different and th ...more
Maureen
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 Stars

This was a really great book! I can’t totally speak for the mental illness representation (and I looked for a few reviews but didn’t find much), but it seemed very respectful and well done to me. It didn’t trivialize the issue, the main character had a very supportive family, and had a great therapist she visited regularly. All of those things are usual seen in a negative light so it was great to see them positively here.
The story was entertaining except for one *spoilery* aspect that
Norah Una Sumner
Really loved reading this book. If you liked Made You Up, which is one of my favourite YA books, you're probably going to like this one as well. And vice-versa.

description

I absolutely devoured this book. Poet's Corner, Sam's development as a human being, the hidden connection between her and AJ, Sam's weekly visits to her psychiatrist, Caroline... every aspect of this book was extremely interesting and it's just impossible not to be on the edge of your seat when that final revelation comes. It hit me out o
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I thought this was a damn good book. The ending really took me by surprise, I never saw that one coming, although I knew something seemed a bit weird.

Samantha has OCD since she was a child and is on medication for anxiety. Sam has hidden this fact from her so called friends all of her life. These girls that she grew up with were mean and she was always afraid to pull away from them.

Then one day she meets a really nice girl named Caroline. She takes Sam into
Sophie
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won this book way back in the summer, and since then it has been gathering dust on my shelves. Whilst I was home for Christmas, I decided I'd give it a shot, and it was one of the best decisions I made all through the holidays. If you have it piled on a shelf somewhere, pick it up asap!

Every Last Word is about Samantha, a girl who suffers from OCD, and is keeping it a secret from all of her friends. Her family and psychologist are the only people who really know the full extent of her OCD, and
  • Making Pretty
  • Not After Everything
  • I'll Meet You There
  • The One Thing
  • The Revenge Playbook
  • Lies I Told (Lies I Told, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
TAMARA IRELAND STONE writes young adult and middle grade novels. Her New York Times bestseller, Every Last Word, won the Cybils Young Adult Fiction Award, the Georgia Peach Book Award, the Buxtehuder Bulle German Youth Literature Award, and was a YALSA Teens’ Top Ten pick. She is also the author of Time Between Us, which has been published in over twenty countries; its sequel, Time After Time; and ...more
“If you could read my mind, you wouldn't be smiling.” 140 likes
“Everyone’s got something. Some people are just better actors than others.” 133 likes