Start by marking “Roaring Up the Wrong Tree (Grayslake, #3)” as Want to Read:
Roaring Up the Wrong Tree (Grayslake, #3)

Roaring Up the Wrong Tree

(Grayslake #3)

What should Trista do when faced with a hunky werebear who can’t decide if he wants to kill her or screw her?

Half-hyena, Trista has spent years rotating between Grayslake, Redby, and Boyne Falls. When the Grayslake Itan—the local clan’s werebear leader—orders a purge of all hyenas, she finds herself fighting to hold onto the hand-to-mouth life she’s created. Her carefully
Published August 10th 2014 by Summerhouse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Roaring Up the Wrong Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roaring Up the Wrong Tree

Skyden
Ugh. This is going to turn into one big spoiler filled rant :P

Honestly, I enjoyed the first two books in this series. Sure there were a few moments where the plot didn’t mesh well or whatever. It happens. I got over it fairly quickly. But I noticed a bad trend happening in the last book that has since carried over to this one. In a fantasy book, more especially in those that build an entirely different world for their readers, there’s a certain amount of rules that are constructed for the charac
Melanie
My review and an extended sample of the audiobook are posted at Hotlistens.com.

So we are back in Grayslake surrounded by bears. Keen is the youngest of four brothers. Each of his other brothers had a place in the inner circle of the clan. Ty, the oldest, is the alpha. Van is the enforcer. Isaac is the healer. Keen has been functioning as the clan’s Keeper. He knows the laws inside and out, but he has never been officially given the title. He has always felt a little apart from his brothers. It h
Hollie
easily predictable shifter read but it was decent

I was in the mood for a good shifter romance and this had that. I didn't love it but it was ok. I really like Keens character. Unfortunately mia was in this book too much for my preference. I just tire of her constantly ranting about "language". Overall the plot and characters were predictable but I'll probably still give other books in this series a try.
Ivy Deluca
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bbw, shifter-romances
The third book features Keen, the neglected baby brother, and Trista, the tormented half-hyena sister to the hyena Alpha.

The Good, The Bad and Everything In Between

Solid character writing: I started this book because I was in between ARC reads, and frankly I wanted to clear off my kindle. I was kind of meh about the earlier two books, and I didn’t have alot of hopes for this one. I was pleasantly surprised - it was unexpectedly touching, the story pulled me in and while there are always familia
Melanie
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted at RabidReads.com.

This author has been tackling tough subjects with this series. The previous book talked about domestic abuse of a secondary character. This book is no different. The heroine is half hyena. In previous books in the series the bear and wolf pack have had very bad run-ins with hyenas. They decided to run all hyenas out of their territory in a move called a “purge”.

Trista is half hyena. She has lived a tough life trying to follow rules in a world that she r
BookWormAli
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

I loved this book! I love that Keen was such a hidden treasure. This was by far my favorite book so far. I loved that He had a dark past and that even though he was strong enough to be an Itan he chose to let others lead as it suited him better, even though he was stronger. I loved that he was immediately absorbed in Trista and that he protected her.

I love Parker, he's always growing and growling. I love that he is willing to apologize and he is extremely cute and loveable.

If I was Lau
Sandra
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Celia Kyle's writing. Each new book just seems to be better than the last.

I really loved the first book No Ifs, Ands, or Bears About It which set up the marvelous bear clan of Grayslake and was then continued with All Roar and No Bite which saw the hyena purge which then has consequences in this book.

I'd felt sorry for Keen in the previous 2 books and I'm happy that he got his HEA here.

This book was full of emotion and backstabbing vengeance and a bear who knew he wanted his woman even w
Puna
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I find I quite dislike series books that make previous H's or h's jerks. Why have the person likable in 'their' book and then a total jerk in a later book? That happened with Van AND Ty in this story. When you add that to the fact that none of the other characters were really likable either I had a hard time with this book. I really liked the first two books in the series and am hoping the forth will be more like them.
JMarcy
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Definitely the darkest part of the series so far, but fills in quite a few details from previous subplots. The last Abrams I expected to be so dark and damaged inside was Keen. Van did not surprise me in the least.

Shows the darker, more historically traditional aspects of clan life in this world, but also gives a glimpse of how the world is being slowly changed and pulled away from some of the more damaging traditions.
Malinda
4 stars

**fair warning...when I proofed my review, I realized that it might be considered a bit spoilerish. I don't feel like rewriting it so this is your warning***

This was a very good story. I liked Keen and Trista and was happy to see them get together. There is an inst- attraction/love connection and things move very quickly but it works well and I didn't doubt their commitment to each other once they both got on board with the relationship.

Trista is a half-human/half-hyena. Her mother slept
AlligatorSmith loves to read
Yes, I'm a Celia Kyle fan girl. Love her quirky sense of humor and how most of her heroines are on the curvy-esque side. This one is more serious than most others she writes and also the first two in this series, but I think this is one of her best books. Trista is half-hyena, and she has definitely had a very hard life up to the time she meets Keen (the youngest brother of the Itan Ty). Keen has been hiding his strength since he was a kid because it's not good to challenge the (alpha) Itan, esp ...more
Lis
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, ebook
Trista is a half hyena and half human trying to use shifter law to keep a step ahead of the wolf alpha that has been harassing her and her mother for years and also the Bears who ordered all hyenas purged from Grayslake territory. Her life gets even more difficult when she is evicted from her crappy apartment and all her stuff taken including her money stash. Enter Keen Abrams the youngest brother of the local Itan of the Bears. A little insta attraction and Keen's inner beast is telling him she ...more
Izy
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating~ 2.5 stars.

I like Celia Kyle's books. They make for a fun and light hearted read that you can read in no time at all. However this time, it was not light hearted or much fun.

First thing, I really hated how the heroes from the previous books acted in this book, they acted like complete assholes. I really hated how they treated keen. It broke my heart, the poor guy was so lonely and hurt.

Secondly, I really disliked the whole plot line with Keen's past and the way it was dealt with, Trista'
Claudia
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shifter-romance
My favorite book by far from the series.
I have noticed that all the characters, till now, portrayed by Celia Kyle have inadequacy issues in regards to clan and family members.
From the first books I would have never guessed than Keen would have so many issues to deal with in relation to Ty and Van. I was a bit disappointed with Ty's new found idiocy considering that shifters have strong ties and the Alpha in this case the Itan usually is a fair and just character (the good guy).
But Keen and Tris
Camylle
WOW! I have liked both the books in this series so far but...

AH!! This was the story was soo sad but also empowering at the same time. Trista is a half-hyena and she meets Keen a full werebear and its action packed from then on. With a wolf pack chasing Trista going on twenty years and Keen has the strenth and know how of not just any old Itan(or Alpha) but is in fact better than almost any bear. He supports Trista in a way that she has been missing and the way that Trista empowers him in his st
namericanwordcat
I love the couple and the world building. I love the culture of bear and hyena.

However, the motivations of the secondary characters which really control the plot of the book make little sense. Such rabid and hate and quick turn around. Heroes from past books behaving very badly.

I enjoyed the romance and the lead characters are well developed and engaging but these other elements not so much
Wild_irish_rose
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite in the series. Each couple has problems they must deal with--internal and external. But Keen's issues left deep scars that he had to deal with especially since some of them were caused by his family.
Denise
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-it
I really loved this book and can't wait for the next one in the series. Please do not make me wait too long. All the books in this series are highly entertain. Highly recommend this author if you like good one liners and snarky comments.
Mary
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Gypsy Soul
I actually liked the previous books in the series but this one drove me crazy! First of all WHY would you make the main characters from the earlier books such unlikable jerks in this book. If they were jerks first and then redeemed in their books I could go for it. But I hate when I like a character in their book and then really dislike them in the next book. That was the case with both Van and Ty in this book. My second problem was that a lot of this book just made no sense in the respect that ...more
Mallaidh
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I liked Keen in the previous books. I liked his light hearted nature and his sense of humor. The fact that he lost that in this book (and that it was really just a mask anyhow) kind of bothered me.

This book also lost a star because Mia is the absolute worst. WORST. A quarter of this book is spent with Mia scolding other characters for cursing, allowed or in their head. Having a character think a curse word and then Mia returns with "Language!"... oh for fuck's sake. It's not cute, it's not char
Jan
Being part hyena in Grayslake is almost as bad as it gets, the only thing worse is being sheltered by an Abrams in the clan leader's home by the youngest brother who has an even bigger load of baggage than the rest. She's been very poor and suffered in other ways as well, but in spite of everything they begin to heal each other. A very moving read.
Fran Zoch, LSoR
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keen is the forgotten brother the one who had to be educated by the clan as a teenager,
Trista is of mixed heritage but she only knows she is part hyena and they are not supposed to be around Grayslake.
This couple are the perfect match for each other now they have to fight not only the wolves but his family and his past.
But fate knows what she is doing and her moms family comes through.
Barbara Van Zandt
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intense

Both of them trusting no one. Both had been done wrong by family and it brought them together.the judging to both was wrong and everyone thinking the wrong thing. Together slowly they learned to lean on each other ,trust and love. Over come everthing that was thrown at them and closure
Kizza
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pamela daSilva
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book

Meet Keen and his mate . Both broken , hurt , and learning to love each other . There be characters that were in previous books . The storyline is very good . Celia Kyle brings the characters and storyline to life ! Loved will be change , some lost , some found . Good story all around . Get it , enjoy it !
Nancy Bodie
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very happy listener!

This was an impulse purchase that really paid off well. This author can tell an amazing story! The storyline is engaging from beginning to end. I love the characters they really develop over the course of their story being told. Love the audio option.
Kay Robinson
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yess loving this series. I found this series by accident but so worth it.

Goooooood must read series and more books by the author. This is a 5 star rating book series. Yesssss my peeps.
D A
read re-released book titled by the Hunted by the Bear (didn't realize ebooks had been released previously under different name as no indicator given on/in book until went to lookup 1st in series to record on goodreads & author's site linked to this book w/ same description & series name)
Loretta
Angst-ity, Angst, Angst, Angst!

ROFLMAO!!! "Language!"

I am unsure of the back story but wow... both sad and happy that this one is done.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Grizzly Love (Kodiak Point, #5)
  • What a Bear Wants (Wild Side #1)
  • Predator's Serenade (Gemini Island Shifters, #2)
  • Saving Grace (Tales of the Were: Grizzly Cove #5)
  • Blade of Moonlight (Midnight Justice #1)
  • Animal Attraction (Alaskan Werewolf, #1)
  • Walk on the Striped Side (Big Bad Bite, #2)
  • Claiming His Mate (Crescent Moon, #2)
  • Wicked Whispers (Castle of Dark Dreams, #6)
  • Complete Abandon
  • Bearing It All (Highlander's Beloved, #3)
  • Abandoned and Unseen (Branded Packs #2)
  • Diamond Dust (Takhini Wolves Book 3)
  • Bad Santa (Paranormal Protection Agency, #9)
  • Lions, Tigers, and Sexy Bears Oh My!
  • Mary and the Bear (True Mates, #2)
  • Feral Heat (Shifters Unbound, #5.5)
  • Worth Fighting For (Alpine Woods Shifters, #4)
Celia Kyle would like to rule the world and become a ninja. As a fall-back, she’s working on her writing career and giving readers stories that touch their hearts and *ahem* other places. Visit her online at http://celiakyle.com | http://facebook.com/celiakyle | http://twitter.com/celiakyle | http://pinterest.com/celiakyle

Grayslake (6 books)
  • No Ifs, Ands, or Bears About It (Grayslake, #1)
  • All Roar and No Bite (Grayslake, #2)
  • Love at First Roar (Grayslake, #4)
  • Howl My Name (Grayslake, #5)
  • Sunday Bear-becue (Grayslake, #6)
“You can go back to them, Keen. I won’t hold you to your claim and you can—” “No.” “I’m not worth destroying your life.” Without hesitation, he turned to her, giving her his full attention, and spoke from deep in his heart. “Unless you tell me you don’t want me, I’m keeping you. Can you say that? Even if it’s just a spark. Can you tell me you don’t feel anything for me?” She swallowed hard, tears filling her eyes. “No, I can’t.” That’s all he needed to hear.” 0 likes
“I don’t want to be a caveman mate, but in this instance, I’m telling you I don’t want you helping him. I refuse to have you taken advantage of. He’s disrespecting you, Trista, and that is not something I’ll tolerate. Ever.” 0 likes