Start by marking “Grokking Algorithms An Illustrated Guide For Programmers and Other Curious People” as Want to Read:

An algorithm is nothing more than a step-by-step procedure for solving a problem. The algorithms you'll use most often as a programmer have already been discovered, tested, and proven. If you want to take a hard pass on Knuth's brilliant but impenetrable theories and the dense multi-page proofs you'll find in most textbooks, this is the book for you. This fully-illustrated ...more
Published 2015 by Manning Publications Co

Be the first to ask a question about Grokking Algorithms An Illustrated Guide For Programmers and Other Curious People

Start your review of Grokking Algorithms An Illustrated Guide For Programmers and Other Curious People
Tim
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Professional programmers aren't going to learn anything new from this book, but it was a fun read regardless. What struck me as great about this book, is it reads like an ELI5 about algorithms and data structures. If nothing else, it's a great way for one to learn how to teach algorithms to others who aren't in the industry. This is a must read for anyone that's learning to code.
Maru Kun
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Studying algorithms is a lot like studying accountancy - profoundly boring on the surface and still quite boring if you dig beneath. However, if you spend a lot of effort and dig down far enough algorithms can become mildly interesting, if you've got nothing else better to do.

This is an excellent book on algorithms that managed to made them more than just mildly interesting. The book is aimed at the beginner but also touched on more advanced topics and algorithms. It is well written, takes you
Rachel
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-faves
The best book I've ever read on algorithms. Also the only book I've ever read on algorithms, but probably for a good reason.
Tomy Jaya
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the author's visual approach to teaching algorithms. Coupled with a plethora of examples, the bite-sized chapters in this book are ideal for people like me to follow. I would highly recommend this book not only to beginners, but also to experienced developers who want to refresh their algorithms knowledge and ultimately, make it stick.
Bharat
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The visual way of explaining algorithms as seen in this book is very appealing and pretty good and one can easily breeze through the content. Human brains grasp visual narrations better. Can be a starter book before delving into more advanced and books such as CLRS.
David
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: stem
A quick engaging introductory read on an important topic. While I'd love to think that I could pick up some authoritative algorithm textbook, my experience self-studying suggests I might not get that far. I still have a pdf of SICP that I've read all of two pages of despite the universal acclaim that book gets.

That being said, Grokking Algorithms is pricey at $44, especially for something you could read in an afternoon. My copy sat around a few months before I read it (albeit in the book eating
Ananth
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dont have a CS background and ever wondered what that O(logn) stood for. Fear not, Aditya has your back covered. I have tried several times to learn the basic algorithms and their respective time complexities but have failed miserably. The illustrations and the code samples in Python make it much more lucid to grasp the concepts that are otherwise very ambiguous usually covered with a lot of complexity math. Kudos to Aditya now I am ready to tackle the stanford course by Tim Roughgarden.

Diego Garcia
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A simple and nice introduction to most popular algorithms, if you wanna to know what is an algorithm and which ones are most popular, that is a good book, but if you're looking for a book to help you to write and deep understand algorithms, take a look for other books.
Vishwanath
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Refreshing new presentation of algorithms. I was intrigued by the visual premise of the book especially at a time when I was looking for a refresher on algorithms. This book is an enjoyable journey through a usually dry topic and the visual illustrations by the author help reinforce concepts.
Its a bit light on examples through actual code but those examples can be easily researched online. The big O notation topics are especially useful.

Matt Grommes
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this through the Manning MEAP program. I thoroughly enjoyed it. My only complaint really is that I wish the tree section could have been longer but that might be changed by publication time. I'm a long time programmer with no degree so I missed a lot of the basis in algorithms others have. This is not a textbook but I got a great intro to a lot of important algorithms.
Meirav Rath
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was so much fun!!
It's basically "algorithms for dummies, with cute drawings" but, by go, it was the first technical book I could read without constantly fighting with myself to focus.
Guess I'm a dummy (who needs cute pictures to stay focuses).
Sara
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel like I understand the concepts pretty well, which is really saying something because I am not a programmer!
Filip
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I find amazing about this book is author's enthusiasm and will to transfer knowledge to the reader, it feels almost like being in a class (those drawings help too).

I recommend it to everyone with at least some programming experience (some programming concepts are explained, but not enough in my opinion) and with none or little knowledge about algorithms. It's a great start to get an overview and basic ideas about things that appear in other books, which explain the material far more
Tony Poerio
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book gives some really excellent and concise descriptions of problems that... when you learn them from your CS professor... seem absurdly (and almost purposely) harder than they need to be. I also really like Aditya's illustration style, and that was what drew me in. It reminds me of "Learn You a Haskell", but focused on Algorithms. Worth the the read.
Justin
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting supplement to an intro to cs course.
Jen Stirrup
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
I've just finished reading the Manning book called Grokking Algorithms An Illustrated Guide For Programmers and Other Curious People

This is a very readable book, with great diagrams and a very visual style. I recommend this book for anyone who wants to understand more about algorithms.
This is an excellent book for the budding data scientist who wants to get past the bittiness of learning pieces of open source or proprietary software here and there, and wants to learn what the algorithms
Ignazio Castrogiovanni
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fun introduction to algorithms. It's a quick, enjoyable read for the layman or for the computer programmer that wants a quick (basic) recall of the most common algorithms.

I wish I had read it as a first book on algorithms back then when I was a student.
Rostislav Vatolin
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a perfect book to refresh the knowledge and understandings of some most popular algorithms. It is important to know all the basics of algorithm theory, which are described here. It is an easy-read book, which may take only a weekend of you busy life. With all the illustrations and examples, it gives understanding even to the ones, which hadn’t met with algorithms before.
Ahmad Bamieh
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book for non-programmers interested in learning about the world of computer science. The book might also be very useful for undergrads entering the field.

The author starts with providing a general introduction on the concepts of algorithms and analyzing their time using Big O notation. The book gradually advances the reader into various concepts in algorithms to paint a clear picture throughout the book:
- A few necessary data structures.
- A few algorithm implementations for sorting,
Tomas
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super great/intuitive explanations if you're trying to get into CS. If you've taken any CS though, most of this will be fairly basic. Look at the table of contents, and read chapters on whatever you don't know
Liam
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Which is used more: arrays or lists? Obviously, it depends on the use case. But arrays see a lot of use because they allow random access. There are two different kinds of access: random access and sequential access. Sequential access means reading the elements one by one, starting at the first element. Linked lists can only do sequential access. If you want to read the 10th element of a linked list, you have to read the first 9 elements and follow the links to the 10th element. Random access ...more
Sasha Sankova
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was looking forward to read this book after falling in love with the author's blog. I read it in less than one day! He manages to explain very complex material with a couple of funny images. I believe there is simply no better way to explain algorithms. I wish I had this book when I was the first year Bachelor's student. Looking forward to read the Deep learning one.
Adrian Li
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A really good book for an introduction to algorithms. It's written in a way that is easily absorbed by laymen.

Most of the book is filled with interesting and curious cartoons instead of blocks of code. That being said, a basic understanding of programming would help a lot. But probably a very elementary level will suffice; Think codeacademy or the first couple chapters of Eloquent Javascript.

All-in-all, a fantastic primer to get the reader started with computer science. Highly recommended even
Alex
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming, ebook
The book is OK as an introduction to algorithms, though I felt that the difficulty level is uneven, some easy parts were chewed on way too much and some difficult part were glossed over. Also sometimes there are some references to the algorithms or concepts that haven't been explained yet, but that maybe because the book is still in 'beta' (I've got it via MEAP program).
Kelli Blalock
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Most of the resources for learning algorithms are pretty math heavy and I had forgotten a lot of the math I learned in school, so this was a good book to get started learning algorithms while I brush up on math. I was able to understand most of it and plan to read through it again as it is not that long.
Danny Hieber
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coding
A fun, accessible introduction to searching and sorting algorithms, with examples in Python. Though the book does not go into great detail, it provides you with a conceptual starting point from which to explore particular topics in more depth as the need arises.
Lee
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clear, simple, concise. This is a great guide for people who want an illustrated guide behind the intuitions of many classical algorithms. Unfortunately, it's a bit brief and it feels a little rushed, but nevertheless, it's a great read.
Logesh Paul
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: algorithms
Best book for the novice to understand about algorithms. Illustrated images and examples are carefully chosen which helps a lot to grasp the concepts quickly, Code examples are great to relate to real-world use case scenarios.
Olena Sovyn
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech-literature
Cool book to start exploring the world of algorithms
Robert
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: programming beginners
When you're thinking about picking up this book, do not think about a hardcore algorithms book, but instead think about it like a gentle introduction to some of the most common algorithms and problems they are associated with. Being a gentle introduction, it doesn't bombard you with tons of code on every page, but instead it tries to make you understand the working principles of the more common algorithms (and data structures) with different drawings. There will always be code examples written ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Passionate Programmer
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • You Don't Know JS: Async & Performance
  • OCA: Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-808
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »