Start by marking “Every Ugly Word” as Want to Read:
Every Ugly Word

Every Ugly Word

#1 Amazon Bestseller: Books for Teens (Oct 2015)

Published July 29th 2014 by Alloy Entertainment (first published October 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Every Ugly Word, please sign up.

Aimee Salter
Aug 01, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author I don't think I can objectively review my own book. Instead, I'll tell you what drove me to write it:

Bullying, for me, started mildly in the seventh grade, became a bit of a problem in eighth grade, and got completely out of control in high school.

Remembering those years is kind of a slide-show of "I hate you" and expletives, gleeful finger pointing, and internal stress. I used to live in this constant state of preparedness -- waiting to see who might suddenly show up and have som
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
YOU CAN ALSO READ MY REVIEW HERE.

WHERE DO I EVEN START?! First of all, I want to give thanks to the ladies over Mark My Words PR for the ARC, you guys rock! And of course, to the author herself, Aimee, for writing such a masterpiece! Her latest book gets nothing from me but admiration!

Let's put these photos here for a second:

Instagram3  Instagram4

Instagram6

***Photos not mine. See more HERE .***

I started reading Every Ugly Word without any clue of what’s it about (not unusual for me). And yes, I personally think that the
enqi ☁️✨ [joon's]
Every Ugly Word is a book that left me with a myriad of thoughts and feelings, and until now I’m still finding them very hard to put into words. I’m really not certain what I should feel about this book, but it is definitely a well-written debut and I did enjoy reading it.

There is no doubt that this book is a page-turner. At the very beginning of the book we are introduced to a gripping premise and there’s also a ticking time bomb that adds a sense of suspense to the story. Ashley is telling her
Yulitza Moncada
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Every Ugly Word es un libro magnifico, con un final tan perfecto que cuando lo terminas sientes esa sensación de querer llorar porque te sentiste tan identificada con muchas cosas que le pasaron al personaje principal, este libro no es la clásica historia de una chica que sufre "BULLYING", NO esto es diferente, fresco, es raro pero ese raro bueno, y que te deja con tantas preguntas, cuestionándote tantas cosas que quieres hacer o que has hecho, en fin este libro es de esos que llegan a ti y tu n ...more
Alaina
Everyone deals with a bully: whether you were the one bullying or being bullied.

Every Ugly Word definitely deals with the bully situation head on.

It makes you feel so freaking badly for Ashley, who is the MC. Now I wasn't bullied in school nor was I the bully - so I really don't really know how I would feel in this type of situation. However, whenever I read about bullying in a book or watch in a show/movie - I'm definitely so sad. Like full on ugly crying sad. I hate bullying. If I saw it happ
Booknut
**Check out the original review over on 21st Century Once Upon A Times**

'My physical scars aren't the reason I'm here. He can't fix those. But he can help me by letting me out.

(...) He will let me out today. He must. If I can get home in time, I can fix...everything.
'

What if you gazed into the mirror...and someone else was staring back at you.

When seventeen-year-old Ashley Watson looks in the mirror, she sees her twenty-three-year-old self.

Older Ashley lives on the other side of the mirror.
LPJ
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-pub
I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about this book, most of which are difficult to put into words. Let's start with the good: this was a page turner. The premise is interesting, plus there's a ticking time clock in play that gives you a driving need to keep going and find out just what exactly is going on here and how it will play out in the end.

The framing device: Stacy telling her shrink the long, sad story of how she ended up talking to the shrink in the first place works. I don't often li
J. Kahele
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

I have read many stories about bullying but never have I read one with such intensity as this one was. It was almost like a self portrait of a person and the emotions she endured during her high school years. So real, gripping and raw that I found myself screaming, crying and wanting so badly to help this poor girl.

The writing was unbelievable. Ashley's character was written so that you could feel and see everything she went through. If ever a book I would recommend it would be this one. A g
Kalla [A Bookish Nerd]
If you've been bullied to the point where you thought life didn't matter anymore, this book is going to break your heart.

I was bullied up until I transferred to a different high school. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was in a very dark place. I wanted to just give up for good. Every cruel word that someone said to me made me hate myself even more, and I wanted to die. Truly. Every Ugly Word brought back those memories. The feelings were so raw, so real, that I sobbed through most of this book.
Abbie
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This was an okay read, but i did feel bored at points.

I felt really sorry for Ashley. I was bullied all through school as well, so i know how bad she felt. Having a mother with an attitude like hers did would make the situation ten times worse though.

There were times where i felt bored, and thought the book would never end, but it kept my interest just enough for me to want to carry on reading, so i could find out how it all ended.

Overall, Okay read.
SℓιM
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Getting bully sucks, and people don't realize what they put someone through. individuals who bully someone have no life and be asking for attention. just to make people laugh. I will never be a fan of bullying. Your family friends people from school bullies you no matter where they're coming from it's a shame how some people can be.
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Sometimes a YA novel comes along that has a depth to it, a meaning, a message. This is one of those novels. Every Ugly Word tackles the issue of high school bullying, and pulls no punches in holding back on how it's done. A heart breaking read that's written well. A story that you so want to have a happy ending too.

When seventeen-year-old Ashley Watson walks through the halls of her high school, bullies taunt and shove her. She can't go a day without fighting with her mother. And no matter how
Marjolein
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

There were two things I was looking forward to in this book. No, make that three as I'd read some very positive reviews as well. One, the complete story is set as a conversation between Ashley and her psychiatrist (a setting I find incredibly interesting as it is exactly the kind of thing I've been planning to use for my own story - the one that has been in my head for a couple of years now and doesn't really feel like coming out). Besi
Juletta Gilge
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
**ARC provided by author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

This book was that powerful. If any of you go and view the books I have read and rated, you will realize how difficult it is to get a full five stars. This book gets six stars. For those of you who have been bullied, the main character is someone you will be able to identify with. For those of you who are introverts or shy or have anxiety, you can identify with this book. Aimee Salter has created a masterpiece that (for me
Teri Beth
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgally
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley

Every Ugly Word is a really good book. It didn’t leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy like I usually prefer, but it’s a compelling and intriguing story that kept me glued to the pages. As someone who has never dealt with bullying, Every Ugly Word showed me just how cruel people can be. Ashley is a very real character, she has faults and flaws, she doesn’t always make the best decisions, but she’s just trying to survive. My heart broke for Ashley and all she
Trisha
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
"That says everything about them and nothing about you."

Man, that is one of the hardest lessons, isn't it? That what people say about you - when they gossip or talk crap - shows SO much more about them than you. But that's hard to know in highschool - it's hard to know as an adult.

This is a tough book to read - touch because it's ugly and cruel. The bullying and bad parenting is painful to read through. But the message is good and the story was interesting enough that I kept reading.

and I always
Brooklyn
"When seventeen-year-old Ashley Watson walks through the halls of her high school bullies taunt and shove her. She can’t go a day without fighting with her mother. And no matter how hard she tries, she can’t make her best friend, Matt, fall in love with her. But Ashley also has something no one else does: a literal glimpse into the future. When Ashley looks into the mirror, she can see her twenty-three-year-old self.

Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Her older self has been through it all already—she endured the bullying,
sue
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing

What a well thought out good riveting book.

I loved the layout where Ashley Watson is talking to her Consultant/Psych doctor yet she is telling her story, then it breaks back to the consultation. As questions are asked of her, she then relates more of her terrible experiences.

Ashley is teased, bullied, got at and so undeserving of it all.

There has been odd times in a book that I have read where I feel like shouting out loud. I HATE bullies, its one of my pet hates and I would take any bully on. H
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
Bullying- the worst form of crime- it inflicts lesser physical pain, or the victims care less about the outward injuries..or are forced to overlook the physical pain by their broken inner selves..broken into smithereens.. damaged beyond redemption. It kills every ounce of self-respect and self-esteem that the victims have in them and slowly they descend into a living hell.

A gut-wrenching story of a certain Ashley which seemed too real to be brushed off as fiction- expect for the future-self part
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Ashley meets with her psychiatrist, hoping to be released from the hospital after six months. To prove she's ready, she must recount the incident which lead to her breakdown. When looking in mirrors or glass sees her 23 year old self, whom she calls Older Me. Older Me gives cryptic advice. Delusion or something more?

Bullying is at the heart of Ashley's troubles. Her overcritical mother, who the psychiatrist calls Ashley's first bully, seemed to groom Ashley for the bullying. She lost all her fri
Jules
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been bullied before so let's just say that this book is relatable to me and I may had some bad times with the Ash, but I love how the author portrayed the whole story :)

--------------------

MY OPINION

Every Ugly Word. I just consumed every moment in this book. And I remembered those times that I myself experienced bullying, but I never thought that it could get worse than that.

I had to admit that when I started reading this book it was hard to appreciate what it meant at the time. I was stuc
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Mark My Words Book Publicity and NetGalley.)
17-year-old Ashley is stuck in an institution talking to a psychiatrist.
What happened to lead Ashley to the institution? Is she really crazy? And where does she go from here?

This was an interesting story, but it was difficult to know what was real and what wasn’t.

Ashley was an interesting character, and I felt so sorry for her and the bullying she had to put
Dai Alvarado
Si en algún momento dejo de chillar como loca puede que escriba una reseña T_T

A la tercera es la vencida... ¿O fue la segunda?

No es que yo sea dramática o algo así pero, las tres veces que he leido este libro he terminado llorando por horas. Esta bien, si soy dramática. pero también está que la historia de Ashley me llega mucho (no pregunten, jamás he sido víctima de Bullying) y pues... soy débil.

Ashley es un personaje que me gustó. No, no, no me gustó. Yo LA AMÉ. Algunas veces se sintió un poc
Elizabeth Mathis

Her older self has been through it all already—she endured the bullying, survived
Giselle
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

This is one of those books where you just want to throttle some of the characters for their sinister and sadistic ways. Since I didn't read the synopsis, I didn't know this was about bullying. Even though there was a little paranormal twist what with her seeing the older her in the mirror, it's one of those stories where you can't believe thi
Megan  (YABookers)
I received this free from the publishers via NetGalley

'It isn't what happens to you in your life that destroys you. It's what you do about it.'

Ashley Watson has spent most of her high school life being bullied. She spends the week walking the school halls where she is constantly shoved and taunted and bullied. Her relationship with her mum is strained. Her best friend doesn't see her the way she wants him to. She can also see her future self when she looks in the mirror. Her future self has done
Paloma Meir
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, that was quite a book. I opened it up a few hours ago to read a few pages before going to the market. I didn't end up going to the market. I can't even remember the last I was so sucked into a story. Powerfully told.

Every Ugly Word is the story of Ashley, a girl who has been relentlessly bullied since middle school. Her only support is her friend Matt. He's good to her, loyal, well beyond what an average seventeen year old boy would be capable of in real life.There's a romantic shadow over
Sariah
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"It takes a lot out of an artist to show their plain face to the world, like this."

I've never met or spoken to Aimee Salter. But if I ever do meet her, the first thing I'll do is give her a big hug.

This is not the kind of book I like to read. I like light and fluffy. It's what I write, it's what I read. "Every Ugly Word" showed up in a BookBub advertisement, and I thought the premise sounded interesting. It certainly was - but nothing quite like what I was expecting.

This book should be required
Amanda
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Every Ugly Word was really good. I love twists in books, and this one had a really good one. I didn't expect it to go the way it did. The main character is well developed, but she is a little hard to relate to. At times I found myself frustrated with her decisions. I would suggest this book to any one of my friends. It was pretty great. I was full of empathy for the main character. When a book really makes you feel, you know it's amazing.
Crazy for Young A...: Every Ugly Word by Aimee L. Salter → Start Date: July 30, 2015 7 21 Aug 02, 2015 06:21PM
What WAS Matt Thinking? 2 25 Apr 18, 2015 09:16AM
  • Beetle Boy
  • فاتن
  • The Crossing (Blood of the Lamb, #1)
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Backward Compatible
  • Compromised
  • The Lightkeeper's Daughter
  • Crow Country
  • How Many Letters Are In Goodbye?
  • No Ordinary Day
  • A Masque of Infamy
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • Messed up
  • The Garbage King
  • Awakening Foster Kelly
  • The End of Feeling
  • A Spoonful of Jam
  • 15 Minutes (The Rewind Agency, #1)
“You can’t control how other people hurt you, Ashley. But you can control how you hurt yourself.” 12 likes
“People you love should always be more important than people who judge you.” 11 likes