Start by marking “Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant (Mr. Monk #19)” as Want to Read:
Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant (Mr. Monk #19)

Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant (Mr. Monk #19)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  341 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
An all-new story starring Adrian Monk by Edgar® Award–nominated Monk screenwriter and coexecutive producer Hy Conrad.

It’s compulsive, page-turning fun.

Monk and Natalie have finally settled into a new office routine. Now they just need to work things out with their neighbors—a print shop run by hippies whose music leaks through the walls, driving Monk nuts. But the detectiv
Published January 6th 2015 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant, please sign up.
Asteropê Most likely, yes.
Most likely, yes.
This is the last book Hy Conrad will write. You can read as much in the acknowledgements/author's note which can be viewed on GR in preview.
He did hint that another writer could pick the series up and pick up where he left off, but who would be willing to do that and when...who knows. It was just the vague mention that it could be possibly, not that it would happen. It seems more unlikely as time goes by. (less)

Amanda
I always look forward to a new Monk story. Its always fun to spend a few days of the week reading a new story about Monk. I enjoyed this story more than I did the last book in the series. This was a classic Monk story, the mystery plus all the other side mysteries was fantastic. Monk was Monk in this story, he wasn't hunting for a girlfriend or doing things that was un-Monk like behavior. Randy Disher's return was great, his appearance in the story brought some of the funny moments in the story. ...more
Mark Baker
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, mystery
Monk discovers that a recently deceased judge was actually poisoned. And then Captain Stottlemeyer starts shows the same symptoms. Who is out to kill the captain?

The plot in this one was a little simpler than it might have been, but the characters make it plenty of fun. Yes, there are even some more great laughs along the way.

Sadly, this is looking like it will be the final book in the Monk novels. It’s been a wonderful franchise, and I am going to really miss these characters.

Read my full revie
Fred
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Mr. Monk And The New Lieutenant is the fourth book Monk series by HyConrad.

This series' books are quick reads.

The book consisted, of what seemed to me, short stories of three or 4 quick cases for Monk and Natalie to resolve and one major case. That case centers around the recent death of Judge Oberlin and the attempts on the life of Captain Stottlemeyer. As the title suggests, Lt. Amy Devlin is on a leave of absence and she has been replaced by Lt. A. J. Thurman. Thurman is the most competent po
Linda Brue
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
First the television series came to an end and Mr. Monk was gone. Then Lee Goldberg began writing the Monk books and I loved them. Eventually, Mr. Goldberg moved on to other things and Mr. Monk was once again gone. But Hy Conrad took over writing the Monk books, and life was good again. Both men had worked on the television series, and had Monk well in hand. Each of their versions of Monk were slightly different, but both worked for me. (I did think Mr. Goldberg's Monk was funnier than Mr. Conra ...more
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although I have watched the television show, this was my first Monk book. It was really quite good. That has everything to do with the fact that the author, Hy Conrad, was also a writer on the show for it entire eight season run.

I have to say, I loved that each chapter has a title. So few books do that these days. I’ve always enjoyed it. The story is told from the point of view of Natalie Teeger, Adrian Monk’s former assistant, now his partner in Monk & Teeger, Consulting Detectives.

Readin
Wanda A.
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hy Conrad, I just want to thank you for the great plot lines, Natalie's strong female voice, and your willingness to carry on the monk legacy.
Patrick
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MR. Monk and the New Lieutenant
Hy Conrad
I have enjoyed all of the Monk books, of the four written by Hy Conrad I feel that this one is hi best.
The story begins with Monk and Natalie attending Judge Oberlin's funeral. While viewing the Judge's corpse Mr. Monk suddenly announces that the Judge did not die of natural causes instead he tells everyone that the Judge was poisoned. So begins the final Monk story, unless another author takes up his pen and brings Mr. Monk back to the written pages
Al Menaster
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sadly, last of this series. Another novel of Mr. Monk. Interesting, involving, amusing.
Kris
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the book, but you should really read "Mr Monk Goes To Germany" first if you haven't done so already. That book gets alluded to a lot in this book.
Aly
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing amazing, but read more or less like an episode of Monk and made for an easy beach read :)
Caitlin
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I miss the show "Monk" and its intelligent humor mixed with heartfelt stories. I read the first "Monk" book, "Mr. Monk and the Firehouse" and now this most recent one. I must say this new one disappointed me a little. This portrayal of Monk felt a little harsher, a little meaner. He is a self-centered man but usually his intentions are good and his fears just get in the way. The story line seemed a little haphazard as well with several different cases that ran together. Now I know that "Monk" bo ...more
Norma Huss
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mysteries
Mr. Monk does not like Captain Stottlemeyer's new lieutenant. He's new, for one thing. (Of course, the feeling is mutual.) However, he and Natalie try their best. They now have their own detective agency with little business. Natalie takes on a divorce case (without Mr. Monk's knowledge, and definitely against his approval). Then there's the murder case that wasn't---until Monk declared at a man's funeral that he had been murdered. Now they are trying to save the Captain with the same symptoms w ...more
Susan
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Hy Conrad makes the usually one-dimensional characters in this series almost believable; too bad this is his last book. Monk and Natalie are bothered by a new police lieutenant, who doesn't appreciate their consulting services. Meanwhile, Monk discovers that Judge Oberlin, thought to have died naturally, was murdered. Then their friend Captain Stottlemeyer develops the same symptoms. Of course, the Captain and the Judge were involved in many of the same cases. There are two separate but interlin ...more
Janice
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is Hy Conrad's 4th and last Mr. Monk book leaving the series open for someone else to hopefully take over the writing. Loved the TV show and loved the books. I liked Lee Goldberg's stories the best for guessing the 'whodunnit' but didn't like the addition of 'the poop lady' and the moving of Monk and Natalie to Jersey. Conrad's stories were easier to guess the 'who', and in this book I had an inkling right away which was cemented when the first clue to the 'why' appeared. But, this still di ...more
Will
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Will by: 135
Hy Conrad's final Monk effort is a disappointment. The reader will be thinking "He's the guy" long before Monk does. And he gets rid of Devlin just when I was warming up to here. I suppose if another writer takes over, he will get rid of Luther too.

SPOILERS:

This will be no challenge to readers trained to look for the Least Likely Person. And at a critical point, Monk misses a connection ALL of them should have made, saying only "I was distracted". There was nothing to distract him more than usua
Deb Randolph
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always great!

I am and will always be a Monk fan. I loved the tv show and the books are written so well that you feel as if you are watching another show. This particular book in the series has several different story lines which made for a lot of excitement. As always, there are several laugh out loud moments which I always look forward to. The ending leaves you hanging so I hope a new book will be published soon!
Glen
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Apparently, this is Hy Conrad's final book in the series. I hope the next author is as good as Conrad and Goldberg.

In this one, Monk is feuding with the business next to his office, when a judge is murdered, and Captain Stottlemeyer almost suffers the same fate. Meanwhile, a mysterious woman tries to hire Natalie for divorce work that turns out to be anything but.

Entertaining, but I felt the solution was rather simple for this series. Still, the epilogue more than made up for it.

L. Petunia
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't want this series to end! (I think I said that 4 books ago when I thought it was over and was shocked to find someone else continued it, but this time I can't find any news about it continuing.)

These characters are a riot. I feel kind of let down Conrad basically undid the new additions Goldberg made right before he left in his four books, but I'm still satisfied with the direction of the books.
Alex
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm so sad this is the last Monk book. There's a (small) chance another author will pick the series back up, but I'm kind of doubting that's going to happen a second time.

I'm going to miss these books a lot, because it kept the characters alive for me after the show ended. This book did leave them all in a pretty good place, though.
Laura Cushing
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
The last Monk book ever? Say it isn't so!

The series ends on an odd number (19), tsk. And a bit of a cliffhanger, where it should have wrapped things up. I enjoyed the story overall, though I really felt the ending should've brought more closure since it is the last book ever.

Maybe they will eventually pick up the series again, who knows?

I will miss Mr. Monk.
Rhonda
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This episode of Mr. Monk and Natalie finds them searching for a killer, a swindler, a hacker, and the reason for the Captain's mysterious illness, all with the backdrop of regular characters Lt. Randy Disher, Monk's driver Luther, the Captain's wife Trudie, and Natalie's daughter Julie, along with some new characters, and the whole thing is wrapped up in a good time for the reader.
Dany
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Good story if a little predictable but unfortunately the announcement in the beginning of the book really overshadowed the story. The announcement was that the author was not going to continue to write any of the Monk books. He did leave the characters in a good place but I hope that another writer who understands the characters as much as Lee and Hy will continue the series.
Philena Garey
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying visit with the master detective and old friends.

With all the impossible-to-solve mysteries that seem to follow Natalie and Mr. Monk, this book brings Disher back to help solve things. Even Julie gets into the act. Stottlemeyer can't seem to stay out of the hospital and Mr. Monk once again plays his saxophone. Altogether a satisfying read with a happy ending.
Michelle
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sad to read that Hy Conrad wasn't going to continue with the series - he did a great job of taking over from Lee Goldberg. I don't know if someone else will be stepping in, but if so, hopefully lightning will strike three times...always fun reads.
Sherlock Watson
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable as ever
FLC Public Library
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sherie
For the Monk TV fan, the book is just like the show~ super funny!
Kaylene
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
As usual a very easy read to pass the time. Maybe not as good as some of the others but I enjoy reading about Adrian and Natalie's adventures.
Tony Christ
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conclusion

A good conclusion to the Monk series. Hopefully someone else takes over writing the series. If someone doesn't, this is a good way to end.
Josh Newhouse
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: feb-2015
Good but very predictable! A fitting if by the book finale... I'll miss the series.
Mrklingon
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Terrific! Sorry to see Hy Conrad is moving on from this series, though. A nice collection of mysteries and Monk and Natalie action.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Mr. Monk Gets Even (Mr. Monk, #15)
  • Ant Farm (Seamus McCree #1)
  • A Hostage To Heritage (Michael Stoddard American Revolution Mystery #3)
  • Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5)
  • One Tough Cookie (Carol Sabala Mystery #2)
  • Death by a Dark Horse (Thea Campbell Mysteries, #1)
  • In the Shadow of the Glacier (Constable Molly Smith #1)
  • Yesterday's Body
  • The Dagger Before Me (Persephone Cole Vintage Mystery, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
Hy Conrad was one of the original writers for the television series, Monk. He worked on the show for all eight seasons, the final two as Co-Executive Producer, and received three Edgar Nominations from the Mystery Writers of America for “Best TV Series.” Conrad took over the novel series based on the TV show Monk in 2013.

Conrad is also the author of hundreds of short stories. His first full-lengt
More about Hy Conrad

Mr. Monk (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr. Monk, #1)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii (Mr. Monk, #2)
  • Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr. Monk, #3)
  • Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants (Mr. Monk, #4)
  • Mr. Monk in Outer Space (Mr. Monk, #5)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to Germany (Mr. Monk, #6)
  • Mr. Monk is Miserable (Mr. Monk, #7)
  • Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Mr. Monk, #8)
  • Mr. Monk in Trouble (Mr. Monk, #9)
  • Mr. Monk is Cleaned Out (Mr. Monk, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)