Start by marking “Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems” as Want to Read:
Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems

Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems

Distributed systems have become more fine-grained in the past 10 years, shifting from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained microservices. But developing these systems brings its own set of headaches. With lots of examples and practical advice, this book takes a holistic view of the topics that system architects and administrators must consider when ...more
Published February 20th 2015 by O'Reilly Media (first published December 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Building Microservices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building Microservices

Start your review of Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
Andreas
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Microservices are a relatively new trend in computer science, coined around 2012. This conceptual book touches lots of aspects surrounding those little sisters of Service-oriented architectures (SOA): Starting from the basics, it covers topics like integration, splitting monoliths, deployment, testing, monitoring, security, system design and the role of architects, and scaling services.

The Good
Newman takes a holistic approach, analyzes the topic from lots of angles. It isn't a dry read but the a
Robson Castilho
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: software
Mixed feelings about this book. I had high expectations before starting reading it but after reading some chapters I've started feeling bored with so much shallow information about a lot of 'tooling stuff'.

The book is a big overview of a series of concepts and advices (and tooling!) you should care about in an environment of distributed systems such as integration, deployment, monitoring, security, scaling and the like. There's nothing practical in its content, which have disappointed me a lot (
Elena B.
A book that is more about ideas behind microservices and fine grained systems than technology specifics.

The key principles for microservice architectures:

- You want services that are loosely coupled and highly cohesive - so find boundaries that help ensure that related behaviour is in one place and that communicate with other boundaries as loosely as possible.
- Avoid database integration
- Understand the trade-offs of REST and RPC, but strongly consider REST as a good starting point for re
Daniel
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
If you are new to micro services, or service-oriented architectures in general, this books provides a good overview of all the things you need to take into account, which trade-offs have to be made etc. That said, it can't serve as more than a starting point – every single chapter deserves a book of its own.
Yevgeniy Brikman
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
If you're new to microservices, this book is a decent intro, covering most of the major topics you need to be aware of. It only covers the topics at a surface level (to be fair, it would've been a very long book if it went in-depth on each one), which is just enough to show you what questions you should be asking. Of course, you'll have to seek elsewhere to find those answers, but at least now you'll know what to look for.

However, the biggest weakness of the book is that it makes microservices s
Brian
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Pragmatic Programmer of the microservices age. So many lessons learned the hard way are documented here. A quick and information packed read.
Rod Hilton
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been seeing lots of talk about Microservices, and it's something I have virtually no experience with. Since my coworkers have mentioned hearing lots of hubbub about Microservices, I decided to run a little book club for my team. So here is not only my review, but the reviews of my teammates, based on their feedback when discussing chapters every week.

I really enjoyed Building Microservices, I think it either already is, or soon will be, considered the bible of Microservice architecture. Whe
Rosa Chaves Rodríguez
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to the microservices World for the automatization defenders
Bragadeesh
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Microservices is still very young and this book does a fair job in covering all the aspects of the intricacies that involve in adopting to it. I was expecting something different before I picked this book, however, most of the concepts elicited here are some of the known concepts to me as an Architect. It still has a lot gold mines spread around the entire book. I would not say this is a must-read for a Software Architect, but the learnings of the book will definitely add value to your thinking ...more
Jk Jensen
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
The guidance contained in Building Microservices is valid but the execution feels sloppy and rushed.

There are more than the forgivable number of grammar, punctuation, and even spelling errors in this book. Anecdotes are not well-adapted for the chapter topics. Diagrams are not consistent and are rarely meaningful.

As an example of the overall feel of this book, at the end Newman attempts to distill his offering into a set of key principles. However, the distillation is lost in the fact that said
Jose
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book does a good job exposing the ideas and good practices behind a migration to (micro)services. if you've been doing it for a while it's a good way to checklist what you've done. If you're jumping on the wagon it has a nice overview about the practices and the tools that are out there to help you. I feel that the chapter about Scaling gives a good summary of the whole book.
Alexander
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this book is going to be useful for any engineer onboarding the world of microservices. It gives a broad and complete overview of all stages of the process: from design to deployment and testing.

On the other hand, from my perspective, for more experienced engineers already familiar with similar systems this book would rather look like a reiteration of all the difficulties and problems one might face while working with microservices. In many cases, the author agrees with the complexity o
Luís Soares
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
If you have to read just one book about microservices, choose this. Quick&easy to read but very complete; it summarizes related subjects (not only the technical ones). A book to read from beginning to end, but also one to consult. It mentions a lot of technologies, but never without the corresponding concept/topic so it'll hardly get outdated. In the end, you just feel confident to develop this way. ...more
Lena Rakhimova
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have used this book twice, when we split the monolith into smaller apps, and when we built micro services from scratch, it was very useful and handy to give a directions to build the microservices. This book will not give a strict direction how-must-do but rather what-to-think-about to understand what challenges might come and possible solutions to handle it. All other depends on your own experience and sense of architecture therefore there is one chapter about who is an architect. I would rec ...more
Regis Hattori
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book shows a lot of aspects to consider before using microservices.

It is hard to rate it because it is the first book I read about the topic. I really liked some parts, but I feel that the author did not put the same effort in other ones. There is not a consistent narrative among the topics. Some of them are focused on the concepts with detailed explanation. And some of them are more focused on tools.
Luiz Nunes Marques
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Good ideas and patterns for monolith split, too superficial on monitoring and a good start for developers who’s deciding if ms adoption is good. Some chapters can be read without following book order.
Krasimir Atanasov
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is a useful and practical guide on how to build and maintain a microservice architecture. Although it doesn't go much deep in the specifics, it covers all aspects of such architecture and you can find many valuable takeaways. Some of the topics discussed are: when microservice architecture should/shouldn't be used, splitting monolith applications, designing, deploying, testing, monitoring, and scaling microservices.
Kirill
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: engineering, design
I was somewhat skeptical about the book. Microservices are hype and seems that everyone nowadays has own advice on how to break the scary monolith. Still I found this book very good. Apart from the concrete "break the monolith" subject, it addresses many common architectural - and on my opinion - much more important questions - about good software design, art of decision making, coupling and cohesion, DDD and much more. Technical advices and sum up of different tooling are also quite useful.
Christophe Addinquy
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: software architects
Sam Newman's book tackles the challenge of sttling the reference text on microservices. First the architecture principles are hare, clearly stated and opiniated. Second it handles different aspect of the architecture such as tests, scaling or reaching here from legacy. The content is here and it's clearly and well written. Job done.
Ma note de lecture en Français ici
Líbene Fernandes
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
"The need to change our systems to deal with scale isn't a sign of failure. It is a sign of success."
Evan Wondrasek
I took my sweet time with this one, but it was so darn good. (For a while, I was experimenting with only reading this book while riding a stationary exercise bicycle as motivation for exercise, which while somewhat effective, certainly highlights how little I've been exercising...)

This book is solid wisdom. He favors breadth over depth, so much of this book is an overview of a complex topic with his advice and opinions, but mainly it's a way to expose you to the tradeoffs present with every topi
Sunil rajashekar
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I work in a firm which firmly believes that MicroServices are the way to move forward.

I had vague idea of why things are structured / built in certain way, it helped me to assert my understanding. The book touches most of the concepts very well with practical use cases and scenarios. I was able to appreciate and understand the rational for making design choices at my firm. The book will help you enhance your overall thinking process and you would be in a better choice to make some decisions aro
Hosein
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it
This book talks about the very basics of the Microservices which anyone in the first month of working with them will be already familiar with. So I think, this book is meant to help people start working with microservices not for anyone who already has experiences with it.
That's why I give a 3 Start to it.
Raul Mordillo
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
in this book I've found many useful tips for those wondering hwo Microservices architectures work, pain points and ways to solve them.
Also it gives you proper knowledge to decide whether or not your organization is prepared and ready to embrace Microservices.
Дмитрий Виноград
A good summary describing not only microservices but also covers a lot of trends in development.
Luca
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
It felt more like a series of blog posts (sometimes, paragraphs seemed very disconnected from each other)
Anatoly Kaverin
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book on the subject at the moment. A wide range of topics touched and lots of practices indeed work in real systems.
Jean Tessier
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
I worked with Sam a few years ago and I was curious to see what he'd been up to.

Microservices are all the rage, right now. At work, I've been struggling with a monolith of my own. We cannot upgrade the technology stack because the task is just too big. Had we had a microservice-based approach, we would have had small pieces that we could have upgraded one at a time over time.

The most important characteristic of microservices is to minimize coupling between them, so that the lifecycle of one is n
Adrian
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book at a time when the term “Microservices” was being mentioned every now and then in our project team as some kind of a silver bullet that would (maybe, possibly) make all our problems and issues disappear...

The book gives you an overview of the concept of Microservices and nicely goes through multiple aspects that one would need to considered when deciding to go on this road, such us integration, deployment, testing, security, scaling, etc. It will not go into details explai
Daniel Aguilar
A superb introduction to software architecture, distributed systems, operations, resilience, scalability, and everything in between. It provides a very solid and extensive theoretic background to serve as the basis of current and future projects, discussing important principles that can and probably should be applied everywhere. It also provides many hypothetical as well as real-life examples in each chapter, and even though it is not at all the main goal of the book, it does indeed list some sp ...more

• Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Clean Architecture
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Effective Java
  • Building Evolutionary Architectures: Support Constant Change
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services
  • Microservice Patterns
  • Production-Ready Microservices: Building Standardized Systems Across an Engineering Organization
  • Domain-Driven Design Distilled

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“if bridge building were like programming, halfway through we’d find out that the far bank was now 50 meters farther out, that it was actually mud rather than granite, and that rather than building a footbridge we were instead building a road bridge.” 2 likes
“If you are working in an organization that places lots of restrictions on how developers can do their work, then microservices may not be for you.” 2 likes