Start by marking “The Wrong Side of Right” as Want to Read:
The Wrong Side of Right

The Wrong Side of Right

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  6,607 Ratings  ·  883 Reviews
Fans of Sarah Dessen and Huntley Fitzpatrick will enjoy this smart debut young adult novel, equal parts My Life Next Door and The Princess Diaries—plus a dash of Aaron Sorkin.

Kate Quinn’s mom died last year, leaving Kate parentless and reeling. So when the unexpected shows up in her living room, Kate must confront another reality she never thought possible—or thought of at
Published March 17th 2015 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wrong Side of Right, please sign up.
Kara No, you cannot. That's pirating and it's illegal. Buy a copy or check it out from the library. You know better than this.
Kayleigh Ryan Definitely! Her father is actually pro-choice and pro-gay marriage; the only major conservative part of his politics is his harshness on immigration…moreDefinitely! Her father is actually pro-choice and pro-gay marriage; the only major conservative part of his politics is his harshness on immigration reform, but that detail is one of the main ethical disagreements between the protagonist and her father. (less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
His eyes burned into mine. “No talking at all, ’kay? Stand there and . . . look pretty.”

He tapped me on the head, and as he walked away, something broke in me—snapped—so forcefully that I could have sworn it made a noise, like two bits of flint knocking together. My pulse stilled to a dead quiet. I blinked, and everything around me became crisp.

Look pretty.

No one had ever talked to me that way before.
I loved this book. Completely unexpected, I assure you.

This book is about a young woman living
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Not your usual YA contemporary and I liked it. The premise is very interesting and intriguing. Kate who lost her mom last year is now being bombarded with the truth about the existence of a father she has never known since birth. But her father is no ordinary man. He’s a senator and is currently a presidential candidate so you could just imagine the massive change Kate’s life is about to undergo and I was caught right in the whirlwind that is Kate’s life as she gets to finally know her
Sophia Sardothien
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2015
This is an update review

I absolutely adore this book, it got me into so much tears eventually I have to stop and calm my breathing.

This book is about a girl name Kate Quinn, her mother died last year leaving her to be parentless and downhearted. So suddenly when her father shows up, she's shocked. What's weirder is that her father is actually a powerful politician running for the US president. And there her life has turned upside down, running for campaigns, meeting her "new family" and fall
Jaime Arkin
4.5 stars!!

Talk about a timely read you guys… if you’re sick of the rhetoric in the current campaign that’s happening in real life, this book might just be the perfect escape.

Kate Quinn’s mother died last year leaving Kate in the care of her aunt and uncle. She’s never known her father, and in all her thoughts about it, she definitely never would have imagined him to be a politician vying for the presidency of the United States… but that’s exactly who he is.

Kate is suddenly thrown into a life
Keertana
Rating: 4.5 Stars

What did The Wrong Side of Right manage to get right that so many other YA Contemporary novels have gotten wrong? Nearly everything.

Thorne's debut is a story of family, friendship, and finding your voice even in changing situations. Kate was brought up by her single-mother, a woman who worked for NGOs and kept out of politics, in LA, as far away from Washington D.C. as you can get. When her mother passes away in a car accident, Kate is sent to live with her uncle and aunt in So
Jenn
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I have read this book more than thirty times and I still rather enjoy it. ;)
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
I CANNOT. ANYMORE.

The first few pages was so very Princess Diaries-like and I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM with that. I actually liked the concept of this story and how it all started. But the main character, Kate, was such a bore. She puts me to sleep.

description

And also, she was such a pushover. I like the fact that she was not angry and that she doesn't have hurty feelings towards his father. But oh my god it's like she doesn't have any feelings.

Another reason why this didn't work for me is the focus on the p
Sophie
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Wrong Side of Right tells the story of Kate, who's mother recently died, and unexpectedly discovers her father's identity, which comes as a massive shock. an even bigger shock is the fact that her father is a senator, and on top of that, is a presidential candidate. Kate, who wasn't really that bothered about politics, except to pass her AP classes, is now thrust into the political world. On top of having to deal with being thrust into the public light, Kate has to deal with the fact that sh ...more
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
I thought I had to tone down my rating for this book because of Republicans, but I like how the author handled the ending. This is such a cute read. I finished it immediately.
aria [dear darling reader]

This book… gave me the feels.

And I freakin' loved it.
This book at first seemed so familiar with any YA Contemporary book, but after reading it, you realize how different it was. There was so much this book offered than the romance. Thank goodness!

I hate it when contemporary books pretend to be anything other than what they really are. It pretends to be some deep story about hopelessness, dep
 ✨ Dianna ✨ (mylifeasannaidreading)
“But it occurred to me suddenly that trust wasn't an object, not something that arrived on your doorstep, solid and absolute. It was a decision, a leap.”

This book feels like eating a full, delicious meal and I'm satisfied to the fullest. The Wrong Side of Right is still as heartwarming and unputdownable as I remembered from two years ago and AHHHHH I LOVE THIS!

What I loved the most about this book is that it focused more on family matters than the romance. In fact, there's barely any roman
Nasty Lady MJ
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: Did a reread because I wanted to read about a sane member of the GOP running for president where I wouldn't be considering moving to Canada if the Dump does get the presidency. Let's pray that he doesn't. Anyway, this book is how reality should be instead of the craziness that we got. Rating stays the same, in fact I think I liked this book better the second time around.

To see full review click here.

Warning: this is going to be a bit of a fan girl review.

Because I freaking loved this boo
Kels
This was an impressive debut novel, with tight, clean writing, an interesting plot, and an intriguing cast of characters, yet, unfortunately, I can't say that I full on enjoyed it.

I think the biggest flaw in this book is the amount of pages in it. Few YA contemporary novels need to breach close to 400 pages, and this one holds no exception. In fact, most literary agents don't accept contemporary novels topping an 80,000 word count (I'm guessing this one is close to 100,000) especially not from
Elena
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is great for any contemporary lover!
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Initial Thoughts: This book was adorable! I loved the relationships and characters and being on the campaign trail. The Wrong Side of Right will charm you from cover to cover. 3.5 Stars!

Read the full review @ A Perfection Called Books

Both heart-warming and entertaining, The Wrong Side of Right is a wonderful contemporary that gives an introspective view of politics and family.

I'm always cautious to read books about politics because sometimes they are too preachy and other times it's vastly inac
Marshall Bustamante
Aug 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
My first attempt at reviewing his was terrible. When you let emotions cloud your words, that's what happens. Commence take 2.

I do not understand many of the writing decisions made when this book was written. These are: writing style, pacing, character progression, and concept vs. execution.

To begin, writing style. It sounds like a real teenager. This can be both good and bad, particularly when involving the reader. See, when a character doesn't change their voice to reflect their mood at all EVE
Melissa Veras
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really know what to expect about this book, I've never heard of it before, and quite honestly I only read it because it was the book of the month of The Rainbow Bookclub.

But I have to say, it really surprised me! I was hooked since the very beginning and I even managed to read it in one day, it was that addictive!

Kate was an amazing protagonist, and enjoy a lot reading from her point of view. She is really smart, but the thing I like the most was that she is realistic. I could always
Glire
Esta parte de la reseña se titula: "Sinopsis, el problema no es que mientas, el problema es que te creo".

Nuevamente he sido engañada por la, ahora popular, práctica publicitaria de comparar los libros con otras cosas más conocidas y más cercanas a los corazones del público general.

Lo que dice la descripción:"Equal parts My Life Next Door and The Princess Diaries—plus a dash of Aaron Sorkin".

Lo que dijo mi corazón: ¡¿Aaron Sorkin?! Léelo. ¡Tienes que leerlo!

Lo que dice -ahora- mi cerebro: Pfff
Mary ♥
4.5/5 stars

September was such an interesting month for my reading. From queer boys who belonged in the rain, to fangirls with social anxiety...to girls that participate in political campaigns and have their life changed upside down. And that last one was such a cute, heart-warming and wonderful experience, for so many reasons.

First of all, this
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Somewhere between 4-4.5 stars.

Really well done YA contemporary with political drama and characters who make a difference. This is one of those books for true contemporary lovers - it has some romance, but is really a book for people who want to see interesting and thoughtful characters dealing with an extraordinary situation in the best way they know how. At it's heart, this one is all about family. I sincerely hope that Jenn Marie Thorne is writing a sequel, because I so want to be in these ch
Milka
After being slightly disappointed with quite a few titles I listed on my most anticipated 2015 debuts lists (in case you are interested, you can find it from here), I am happy to say that The Wrong Side of Right delivered exactly what I expected it to deliver. Though it did not blow my mind or change my life, I found it to be an enjoyable, well-written YA debut with an interesting setting.

The Wrong Side of Right follows Kate who's living with her uncle and aunt after losing her mother in a tragi
Reina Tan
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
⚠ subjective opinion! || since I gave a 5 star rate, please keep in mind the rate based on me. Because I don't want you disappointed if this book doesn't work on you 😂
° ° °
Okay,

I'm ready to review this book.

The tagline said 'A smart, romantic debut about finding your family but losing your faith'.

I guess, it's true.

The Wrong Side of Right is a story with a strong family issues, a lil bit politic, and less romance. Simply, this book is different with YA contemporary I usually read which mostly f
Celeste_pewter
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok. So if you're familiar with the blog, you'll know that both Tom and I work in politics. We have extensive experience in political campaigns - including presidential ones! - so we're SUPER picky when it comes to books that try and delve into our realm.

Which is why, I am beyond thrilled to say that The Wrong Side of Right is everything I thought it would be, and more. (Because seriously, if Leila Sales is blurbing you, my expectations are pretty sky-high to begin with!)

Debut author Jenn Marie
Rose
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I CAN'T BELIEVE I NEVER REVIEWED THIS

everyone needs to know how good this book is ok its amaziNG

So apparently Kate is the secret her mom has hiding from her real dad, the media, and pretty much the entire world.

Kate is the love child of her mother and the possible next President of the United States.

Right in the middle of the Presidential campaign, it is revealed that Kate is the child of one of the Presidential candidates. She quickly goes from typical high school student to the girl every
Nomes
I knew I was going to like this from the first chapter. Kate is so effortlessly likeable and the premise is captivating and fun. The grieving for her mum was so well depicted -- I loved that it had realness and depth but it did not make the entire book get swallowed up by a grief-ridden, depressive tone. In fact, the book was loads of fun while also having so many shades of emotion (from all the different plot-lines).

I was liking this a lot. And then: Enter that rebellious boy that the blurb me
Mari
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
"But listen. Fuck this campaign. Do not let them tell you who you are. You're not an idiot. You're amazing, Kate Quinn. I see you." He nodded at my confused expression. "I saw you right away. That stupid press conference, grabbing that stupid microphone. The real you. You're better than all of them."

Loved it.
There're some mildly unrealistic things but in the end this book was fantastic.
The character growth, the family themes, the sweet romance and, last but not least, the behind-the-scenes loo
Lori Goldstein
What happens when a love child appears during a presidential campaign? THIS FABULOUS BOOK. Told from the perspective of Kate, said love child, this book is so spot-on real you'd swear it's nonfiction. The details of being on the campaign trail are fascinating and expertly done. The story is enough to keep you reading, but the fully drawn, interesting characters with real reactions to this "surprise" who leap to life from the pages of this book make you want to not put it down. I loved it from st ...more
ALEXA
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
FIRST THOUGHTS: 4.75 stars. The Wrong Side of Right is such a delight! Reminiscent of All American Girl (one of my favorite Meg Cabot books) x What a Girl Wants (Amanda Bynes in her prime + adorable Colin Firth), it struck such a great chord. Smart, well-written and charming, this is for sure one of the best contemporaries I've read so far in 2015!
Marla Mei
My first five-star read of the year!!! The tears I shed on this one!!! Worthy of my tears--therefore, five stars.
Mahsa
میون صفحات کتاب هایی که میخونم، گاهی یه چراغ توی ذهنم روشن میشه... و بعدها هربار یاد اون کتاب بیفتم، درست مثل اینه که همون چراغ کهنه رو میون تاریکی ذهنم پیدا کنم؛ و مجموعه ی این چراغ ها یه گنجینه ی ارزشمنده برام...
چراغ این کتاب، درک رفتارهای عجیب آدم ها بود. رفتارهایی که هیچکس درکشون نمیکنه چون توی دل طرف مقابلش نیست، و نمیدونه کدوم انگیزه یا ترس باعث اون رفتار شده... و باید تمرین کنه و یاد بگیره قضاوت نکردن رو.
چراغ این کتاب آرامشی بود که با حرف ها و رفتارهامون میتونیم به هم بدیم، که نشون بدیم "
  • Don't Fail Me Now
  • First There Was Forever
  • Pretending to Be Erica
  • Play On (Lewis Creek, #1)
  • When I Wake
  • Just Visiting
  • Anne & Henry
  • Tunnel Vision (Tunnel Vision, #1)
  • Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me
  • Not After Everything
  • The Lies About Truth
  • Everything That Makes You
  • Making Pretty
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters (Grimbaud, #1)
  • A Million Miles Away
  • The Boy Next Door
  • The Revenge Playbook
  • Written in the Stars

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
  • The Temptation of Adam: A Novel
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Six
  • Love, Life, and the List
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
    $10.00 $1.99
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“It’s amazing how much one person can change the world, even if they don’t know they’re doing it.” 47 likes
“You’ll never have the chance to work this stuff out unless you give yourself the chance.” 15 likes