Start by marking “How (Not) to Fall in Love” as Want to Read:
How (Not) to Fall in Love

How (Not) to Fall in Love

Seventeen-year-old Darcy Covington never had to worry about money or where her next shopping spree was coming from. Even her dog ate gourmet. Then one day, Darcy’s car is repossessed from the parking lot of her elite private school. As her father’s business hit the skids, Dad didn’t just skip town, he bailed on his family.

Fortunately, Darcy’s uncle owns a thrift shop where
Published February 3rd 2015 by Entangled: Teen

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Darcy Covington has never really had to wonder about where the money was coming from. Her dad is the guru of self-help, sorta like this guy...

Then Darcy is at her fancy private school and her car is being repo'd. Dear Dad has taken off and left his family high and dry. (there's a story there)
Darcy reunites with her uncle Charlie who has been sending her one half pieces of salt and pepper sets for years. He was that hippie uncle that the family didn't really associate with.

Now I may sound snarky
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
You can also read my review and enter the giveaway HERE.

The title is a little bit unfitting in my opinion because when you come across this book and read the title, it may seem like another cute and fluffy read out there. But it is so not. How (Not) to Fall Inlove is so much more. Yes, the romance is indeed very swoony and grin-worthy but the brilliance of this book are the characters. Their development throughout the book is just off the charts.

This is Lisa Brown Roberts debut novel and I mus
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

'This notice informs owner TYLER COVINGTON that vehicle 2013 Audi VIN 214081094809148 has been reposessed due to nonpayment after notice to cure was sent via certified mail.'

This was an okay story, but I lost interest.

I didn’t really warm to any of the characters in this book. Darcy was a bit irritating at first, and I didn’t like the way she got so offended at
Norah Una Sumner

Such an underrated cutie of a book! Absolutely loved the story, the characters, the whole atmosphere Lisa Brown Roberts created. A wonderful young adult book which deals with serious topics and the very hard process of growing up and being the "parent" to your own parents. Sometimes we have to give them as much as love and support as they gave us when we needed it. Also, the romance is really cute and real.
Anatea Oroz
This review is also posted on my blog, Anatea's Bookshelf.

When I started reading How (Not) to Fall in Love I wanted some cute and fluffy teenage romance story. And that's exactly what I got, it just took a little different route than I have imagined in my head. The title of this book is a bit misleading, yes. You'd expect it to focus on romance, but in reality, this book focuses on family, trust, growing up and learning how to deal with new life. The romance is just a welcomed bonus.

All the tr
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

4.5 Stars

It's not often a book gets me all teary but the end of this one was written so well but so sad that I could hardly see my Barry(kindle) through the developing eye leakage. It's often true that we don't know our own strength until we're forced to deal with things we never thought we'd have to. Sometimes you can't break down and hide, you have to carry on and Darcy's story going through that was done so well. I was glad that the romance didn't overtake the character growth and her learnin
Susana
4.5 Stars

Absolutely loved this!

Arc provided by Entangled Teen through Netgalley

Release Date: February 3rd 2015

I am not the most sentimental person in the planet.
In fact most people would probably just call me jaded... and that would be the nice ones.

I've almost stopped reading romances because instead of having a good time reading them, I mostly end up going into fits due to overboard cheesiness, insane silly plots, love affairs between characters that should be institutionalized, when they'
Shannon (leaninglights)
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written Review: http://leaninglights.weebly.com/home/...
Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBqGk...
------------
First Impressions: Wow! I really didn't expect this book to be as great as it was! It was a poignant and unique coming of age story. Darcy really won me over - I didn't like her at first but completely fell in love with her as the story went on! Lucas was wonderful - idyllic male lead yet still real and relatable at the same time. I loved Darcy's journey as a young woman and
Sophia Sardothien
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I like this book more than I thought I would. :D is one heck of emotional ride.
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
3.5

A GOOD YA CONTEMPORARY! IT EXISTS!

For the past 5 weeks, I wasn't able to find a good YA contemporary. I never had this problem before. Until, well, now. But this. This is the first YA contemporary in 5 weeks that has gotten higher than a 2 stars. And a vast majority of those were one stars. One stars. And I'm not even all that hard.

The greatest part of this book is undoubtedly Darcy, who is one of the most mature, level headed, yet teenagery teens I have ever read about. She understands her
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
The synopsis drew me to this book because it sounded similar to the TV show 2 Broke Girls. Darcy is different from the rich girl on that show though. Although her dad is a successful motivational speaker and starter of the company Tri!Umphant! Harvest, Darcy is pretty down to earth. She attends private school and drives an Audi but she prefers staying home and reading. She isn't in the big popular crowd. She has one really great best friend Sal. When her Audi is repossessed and her dad disappear ...more
Stacee

I'm always interested in the MC growth stories, this one was pretty good.

When we meet Darcy, she's spoiled and comes across as a bit shallow. Her growth in the story and the type of person she becomes was interesting to read and kept me turning the pages. In fact, all of the characters are interesting and engaging.

The plot line is realistic and entertaining. It was sort of heartbreaking seeing what the family was going through, but it was sort if captivating. I think the true characte
Bee

Istyria book blog ~ B's world of enchanted books

How (not) to Fall in Love is a very sweet and touching story about love, family, friendship, courage and finding yourself when your life is all but perfect. I really, really enjoyed this book!

How (not) to Fall in Love is about Darcy. Her dad is a semi-famous motivational speaker and when he disappears, abandoning his family while his business collapses, Darcy and her mom are left to pick up the pieces. Darcy turns to her dad's brother, who runs a t
Amanda G. (Nellie and Co.
I have to say, I was pretty disappointed with How (not) to Fall in Love, and it pains me that I don't really understand why. It's got a cute little recipe to the plot of finding yourself and believing that you're capable of being strong in times of peril, but there were just things about the whole novel that irked me, from Darcy's mother throughout most of novel, to the romance that was meant to happen but took way too long to come about.

Don't get me wrong, people will love this novel, and I did
nick
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc

How (Not) To Fall In Love initially attracted my attention with its eye-catching cover and intriguing title. As many of you know, I'm a huge fan of YA contemporary, so there was never any doubt as to whether I would be reading How (Not) To Fall In Love. This book was so much more than I expected. I thought it would be more romance-focused, but it really is the story of one girl's growth.

I was initially unconvinced by Darcy's character, because she was the typical rich girl who thought getting he
Abbie
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

The main character annoyed me at the start. She was spoilt, and I had the feeling that she cared more about her car being repossessed than she did about her dad being missing.
She did get better after a bit, but I still never loved her.

The pacing in this one was slow, and the story felt quite repetitive. I felt really bored by the 40% mark, and the story couldn't get my interest back after that unfortunately
Morris
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
“How (Not) to Fall in Love” is the perfect palate cleanser that mixes romance with deeper issues, making it light but intelligent. Part romance, part mystery, and part family drama, it covers quite a wide range of subjects.

All of the characters are wonderfully flawed and do not fall prey to stereotypes, even though the other characters try to project them onto those who are different. They are well-developed and the dialogue is realistic and snarky. The male love interest is actually a decent gu
Flavia (OddCloud)
Rating: 5/5

If I can gather my overwhelmed brain enough to review this, I will. For now, I will leave you with this 5 star rating as a clue and somewhat of a notice --> that I don't care about anything bad anyone has to say about it. I will blissfully ignore anything negative because this story fully charmed me and I intend to preserve the magic :)

After picking through many headache-inducing YA and NA romances in the last few days (... weeks), I am ready to cry of joy for stumbling upon this
Gretchen Gomez
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, ya
It's a cliche story. I wasn't thrilled by the storyline. Some things didn't make sense to me and I saw where the author wanted to take the book but I felt like she was taking too long to get there. It dragged in some points. I just wasn't feeling it.
Celeste
I went into this expecting a light hearted fun little romance, which it sort of was in addition to giving me the feels and now I'm sad but also not sad because of the happy-ish ending and I can't even deal. So I'm sorry if anyone reading this expected an actual review but my heart feels all mushy. I will say however that I think Lucas has anger issues in addition to his Lancelot problem, and I really would love a book from his pov.

I quite like Lisa Brown Roberts books. They're nicely written, wi
Jackie (Jackie's Book World)
***Review can also be found at Jackie's Book World***:D

Rating: 4.5/5

How (Not) to Fall in Love is a coming-of-age story of a girl that found her true self in the least likely of places.

Darcy Covington has it all, money, a famous father, and a mother who enjoys the richness that money can buy. But that soon changes the minute her famous father disappears from their lives. No one seems to know where he is, and his company is going bankrupt. Not knowing what to do, she faces the backlash of the me
Veronica of V's Reads
Darcy is a girl in a serious bind. Her car is repossessed, her mother is distraught and her father, uber-positive celebrity life coach and motivational speaker Ty Covington, is gone. AWOL. Radio silent. The first few days are terrifying, but that doesn't even compare to the terror of realization when his postcards begin to arrive: Dad my never return.

The family assets are frozen while Darcy's father's company Harvest Industries refunds thousands of tickets for upcoming Harvest shows on his speak
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-arc, netgalley, 2015
4.5 stars!

Another fantastic contemporary win for 2015! How (Not) to Fall in Love was wonderful and substantiated my love, once again, for YA contemps. No wonder I read more in this genre than any other… it’s just so much fun! Easily my favorite. There’s nothing like engulfing yourself in a super sweet story that takes you away from reality for a bit. Just long enough to fall in love with the characters and their stories.

Darcy Covington, daughter of famous motivational speaker Tri Ty, never had t
Chu
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Darcy Covington and I had a love-hate relationship all throughout the novel. She can be quite stubborn when she wants to – but one thing I love about this young girl is the strength of her character. The way she fought all her demons, went through all the trials fate has thrown her way and get out of it a much stronger, mature and amazing young woman. It’s great to see her character developed and grow up in the pages of this book.

It started when her car was repossessed publicly
Kirke
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
One of my first thoughts after finishing this book, was that the title should be a bit different, namely "How to Fall." That seems more appropriate concerning all the plot lines, and not just the love story. The romance to me felt like only a small part of Darcy's life and not covering enough of everything else that was going on in her life after her father bailed on them.

Getting her car repossessed was a wake up call for Darcy. Finding out that her Dad completely bailed on everyone and everythi
Mandy
I loved this book! Darcy's dad is a wealthy, famous motivational speaker. The book starts with Darcy at her exclusive private school and a tow truck towing her car out of the parking lot in front of everyone. When her best friend confronts him, he yells that if the bills were paid, the car wouldn't be towed. Darcy is shocked because her family has money, it's something she's never had to worry about. When she rushes home to find out what's going on, her dad is gone. This book takes place over a ...more
Arlene
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

How (Not) to Fall in Love is a worthy debut novel by Lisa Brown Roberts. Her story and characters are a subtle blend of charming and entertaining.

In this YA contemporary novel, Darcy Covington is having to face some hard financial times when her father, a famous inspirational speaker, leaves town without a word. Darcy’s plush and privileged world starts to crumble around her as she sees her car repossessed, her mansion reclaimed by the company her father abandoned,
Courtney
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5. I was really digging this book for most of it until I hit the road trip at the end. I kept getting hung up on the timeline. Being a Wyoming girl myself, I couldn't help but notice some inaccuracies. First, Liz said it should take 11-12 hours from Denver to just inside the Montana border. If she was heading straight up I-25 to I-90 it would be closer to 8-9 hours. Then, when she was in Casper, Darcy said she had about 200 miles left to go. So why did it take her an entire day. I know she sto ...more
Kara
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really went out of my comfort zone to read this book, but I am so glad I did!

How (Not) to Fall in Love is a contemporary YA about a girl whose life is turned upside down when her high profile father bails, leaving her and her mom with no money and limited options. The thing I really liked about this book is how relatable Darcy is. She feels very realistic, like someone I actually could've known in high school. The other characters are equally likeable, especially her well meaning uncle who own
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Paper or Plastic
  • Forever Now (Forever #1)
  • Buried
  • Pixelated
  • Prima Donna (Friends First, #2)
  • The Natural History of Us (The Fine Art of Pretending, #2)
  • Blind Mercy (Blind, #2)
  • Anya and the Shy Guy (Backstage Pass #4)
  • The Best of Me (Return to Briarwood, #2)
  • Saving Toby (Toby & Claudia Book 1)
  • Borrowing Trouble (Nugget, #6)
  • Daisy and the Front Man (Backstage Pass, #3)
  • Holding On and Letting Go (The Ties That Bind Us, #1)
  • The Sexiest Man Alive (Life and Love on the Lam, #4)
  • Kisses On A Paper Airplane
  • Under These Restless Skies
  • Life on the Level (On the Verge #3)
  • Adrian Lessons
Lisa Brown Roberts’ award-winning YA romantic comedies have earned praise from Kirkus Reviews, Publishers Weekly, and School Library Journal. Her latest book, SPIES, LIES & ALLIES, is a romantic comedy about dads and daughters reconnecting, secret crushes, and unexpected friendships.

Lisa's teenaged self tweezed off all her eyebrows, crashed a car into a tree while trying to impress a guy, and
“Life's messy," he agreed. "But sometimes amazing things can happen, even when it seems like it's all falling apart.” 3 likes
“Sometimes your garden surprises you. You don't remember planting strawberries or mint, but there it is, rising up in the middle of the carrot patch. Maybe the seeds blew in from the neighbor's garden. Or maybe they were buried in the dirt and you unearthed them when you tilled the soil. Or maybe you're reaping what you've sown. However it happened, you now have unexpected bounty. Accept it with gratitude.” 1 likes