Start by marking “The View from Who I Was” as Want to Read:
The View from Who I Was

The View from Who I Was

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
On a cold Colorado night, Oona Antunes leaves Crystal High's Winter Formal, walks deep into the woods, and lies down in the snow to die.

She awakens in the hospital, suffering the effects of frostbite and hypothermia. But her physical injuries aren't nearly as painful as the wound she can't name, the one she feels cutting deep into the core of who she is.

While recovering fr
Published January 8th 2015 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about The View from Who I Was, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The View from Who I Was

Nicole Wolverton
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.75 of 5.

There are many things to like about this novel, and I’ll start with the writing. From the end notes in this book, I know Sappenfield was a teacher who decided to leave the field to get her MFA. In many ways, the author’s MFA work shows, in both good and bad ways. The writing is fluid and pretty, with some wonderful language choices.

And it’s the language that kept me moving forward in this book, along with a fantastic characterization of the protagonist, Oona Antunes. Oona comes from a
Rachel
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
it’s ok but really slow at times. the way the main character is two people but still the same person is hard to understand at first. an ok story and everything in it is important to the story even the slow parts but it was a good read. not a quick read though.
Liza
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Heather Sappenfield's first novel, The View From Who I Was, is a beautiful, literary read with an ultimately hopeful message for teenagers struggling with family issues, social pressures, and finding their place in the world. The author develops the story, her characters, and the settings fully and richly, taking Oona Antunes, our protagonist, (and us) from a fictional Colorado ski resort town to an American Indian school in Utah and finally to Portugal as she tries to put her life together afte ...more
Isabel Matias
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Wow okay so this book was really messed up. I would have to say my favorite thing about this book was the way it was narrated. It was a almost brand new narration in between first person and third person. The main character who's name Oona was also the narrator but did not consider herself to be. She made herself into two different characters, one being Oona and another being Corpse. It was just an intriguing the way Corpse described herself, like she was a completely different person. Being hon ...more
Shrilaxmi
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I recieved a free copy of this book from the author.

This was my first experience with an audiobook and I just realised that it isn't really for me. It just isn't as personal and doesn't have the same profound effect. This story though, was a really interesting one. It has all the elements you need, a girl weirdly obsessed with water, a guy who talks to a rock and a bit of drama too. Its perfect blend of crazy and funny and sad. The ending isn't quite what you hope for but, sometimes life has ot
Krista Stevens
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, girls
Red flag - triggers - suicide (another book in where the main character attempts suicide and survives - sends a dangerous message to kids, I think as well as suggests that patient, heal thyself philosophy) - as well as pretty explicit sex (dry humping scenes). The "we" Oona and her spirit have separated, tripped me up a few times until I became familiar with the narration. Parents are again caricatures, but mom, at least changes.

Beautiful descriptions of setting. Still unclear to me why Oona wan
Loranne
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hard to be objective when reading a book written by one of my MFA buddies! But Heather Sappenfield has created a unique voice and perspective in this unflinching YA novel. Oona Antunes, scarred by a suicide attempt, must heal herself and those around her. Sappenfield succeeds in showing the devestation suffered by family, friends, and community when a young person finds life unbearable. Despite the serious subject, the overall tone is positive and optimistic -- sometimes, even, humorous.
Alma  Ramos-McDermott
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oona Antunes hated her mom demanding life be perfect, and missed the father who was always away on business. Fascinated with water, as it reflected her own disappearing and despairing life, she kept a journal detailing water facts. Read the rest of the review on my blog "You Decide: Should I read it or not?": http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.c...
Debbie
Sep 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
A colleague, Trish, wrote to ask me if I'd seen Heather Sappenfield's The View From Who I Was. She said it is set at a place called American Indian Preparatory School, modeled on the Native American Preparatory School. Trish didn't know it, but that school means a lot to Native people.

NAPS was, and is, a special place to us. Located near Santa Fe (remember--I'm from Nambe Pueblo, which is near Santa Fe), it was designed to provide gifted Native high school students with a culturally supportive
Gknee
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heather Sappenfield has a way of shining a very different light on the most traumatic but reality based experiences of teens. You care about her characters and more importantly you care about what happens to them as they navigate their world. I'm looking forward to her next book.
Kelley Kirby
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book! Unexpected ending! Slow at times but easy enough to get through.
TheSaint
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Lots and lots of stuff going on here. Maybe too much. So many suicides, so much need for therapy.
laceyann
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
i think this book was really slow at first but it got better in the end i would recommend it
Natalie M.
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 26-in-2015
this book was just so slow moving and confusing... I really tried to like it but I just couldn't.
Leah Ruthen
Oona's view of life and how she thinks of her own emotions in relation to her physical body is thought provoking, as is her take on the reaction of her family and friends to her suicide attempt.
Alora
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved the writing.
TIFFANY
Very good audio, I would recommend it!
Izabella Borowiak-Miller
I actually liked the audio book! It was my first and I listened to when I drove and I loved it!
T.A. Maclagan
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written and thought provoking read! I thoroughly enjoyed.
Anastasia
  • Blues for Zoey
  • The Hunger Gays
  • Tempting Trouble
  • Wakefield
  • Bite Me, I'm Yours (Bitten by Love, #2)
  • Callie, Unwrapped (Play It Again, #1)
  • Blood Entwines
  • Windwalker
  • Beneath the Forsaken City (Song of Seare, #2)
  • Angels & Alphas (Angelbound Origins #1; Alpha Girl #1)
  • Love Hurts: A Speculative Fiction Anthology
  • Audrey and Bill: A Romantic Biography of Audrey Hepburn and William Holden
  • Dark Child (the Awakening): The Omnibus Edition (Dark Child, #1)
  • Arms of Anu (Arrow of the Mist, #2)
  • Sober Stick Figure: A Memoir
  • Tin Lily
  • The Devil's Flower (The Eternal Beings, #1)
H. E., Heather Sappenfield's fiction has won or been a finalist for many awards, including the Danahy Fiction Prize, the Writer’s Digest Contest, the Pushcart Prize, and the Flannery O’Connor Award. She has written two young adult novels: THE VIEW FROM WHO I WAS (Flux, 2015) and LIFE AT THE SPEED OF US (Flux, 2016), which was a finalist for the Colorado Book Awards and the Housatonic Award for Wri ...more

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Girl on a Wire (Cirque American #1)