Start by marking “An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal” as Want to Read:
An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal

An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
You have begun to deal with the pain and trauma of being raised in a dysfunctional family and now you are ready to lead a healthy life. But:
Do you know what healthy people do?

Do you know what is "normal"?

Do you know how to ask unwanted guests to leave?
In An Adult Child's Guide to What's "Normal," John and Linda Friel have written a practical guide to living a healthy li
Published September 1st 1990 by Hci (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal

Susan
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A solid resource for people who have moved far enough along in their healing journey to understand that their recovery is their responsibility but are stuck on what the 'next steps' are.

I appreciated that the authors took such a compassionate approach to the work. I also liked that they used phrases such as 'we struggle with...' indicating that they had not just book learning but firsthand knowledge of the situation. Finally, it was great that the writers took the approach of 'here are some ide
Mark Woodland
I read this book and still lack a good sense of what constitutes "normal". Though the book spends a goodly number of pages trying to explain what it is, and that we may well be more "normal" than we think we are, I personally am left with the feeling that I'm not. One of my qualities is an inherent desire for my own individuality; perhaps this book wasn't the best choice.
Baerana
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide for grownups who suffered abuse as children - a useful tool in learning how to set boundaries, and basically, just learn, what is "normal". When you grow up abused, you don't know if some acts are ok or abusive, and this really helps.
I would give it 4 ⭐ but I disliked the religious connection this book had inside. ...more
Traci
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I read/skimmed this on a flight. It was an easy read and gave some good, practical advise/reassurance for handling certain situations with sick family members.
Crystal Oros
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
At times I found it hard to read this book, but that was only because some parts were a bit confronting for me and how I viewed those around me. I was quite surprised by some of the things that were considered dysfunctional but I took the time to reflect on what was relevant to me. All in all I am glad I read this book and its given me a better perspective of how to handle some of lifes challenges.
Carrie
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Overall, this book was good. It was a fast read and it had some good tips and suggestions. I like that the authors attitude was to take only what works for you out of it and leave the rest. I didn't like that they seemed to think a lot of issues needed "professional" help or therapy, otherwise the issues would never be resolved. I disagree with that. The book was still enlightening and useful for gaining insights into relationships.
Kristi
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was okay. I think the title is fairly misleading. I'd rename it "Boundaries for people who had dysfunctional childhoods." It has some decent advice and I would definitely recommend it for a client who was in this situation and needed help with boundaries.
DaughterDaDa
Interesting discussions about what is considered "normal" behavior as na adult. However, written by therapists, their solution to most difficulties is "get into therapy".
Jennifer B
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd known about this when I first started my program.....
Madeline
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Very informative and an easy read.
Brenda
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very helpful reference for dealing with the traps we fall into. However, I had to admit I came from a dysfunctional family, and be in therapy, before the advice made sense.
Zelda
Feb 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Lifeskills for Adult Children
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • The Truth Will Set You Free: Overcoming Emotional Blindness and Finding Your True Adult Self
  • Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Up's Guide to Getting over Narcissistic Parents
  • Women, Sex, and Addiction
  • A Life of One's Own
  • Secret Survivors
  • We've Had a Hundred Years of Psychotherapy & the World's Getting Worse
  • Receiving Love: Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved
  • Surviving a Borderline Parent: How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds and Build Trust, Boundaries, and Self-Esteem
  • Boundaries: Where You End And I Begin: How To Recognize And Set Healthy Boundaries
  • Nasty People
  • After The Tears: Helping Adult Children Of Alcoholics Heal Their Childhood Trauma
  • Working With You is Killing Me: Freeing Yourself from Emotional Traps at Work
  • Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying
  • Dealing with the CrazyMakers in Your Life: Setting Boundaries on Unhealthy Relationships
  • The Mindful Path through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance
  • Coping With Difficult People: The Proven-Effective Battle Plan That Has Helped Millions Deal with the Troublemakers in Their Lives at Home and at Work

Nonfiction Deals

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99