Start by marking “Don't Give Up, Don't Give In: Lessons from an Extraordinary Life” as Want to Read:
Don't Give Up, Don't Give In: Lessons from an Extraordinary Life

Don't Give Up, Don't Give In: Lessons from an Extraordinary Life

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  1,814 Ratings  ·  279 Reviews
Champion. Survivor.Hero. Legend.

Completed just two days before Louis Zamperini's death at age 97, Don't Give Up, Don't Give In shares a lifetime of wisdom, insight, and humor from one of America's most inspiring lives. Zamperini's story has touched millions through Laura Hillenbrand's biography Unbroken, soon to be a major motion picture directed by Angelina Jolie. Now, in
Published November 18th 2014 by Dey Street Books

Mark Mortensen
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The life of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner and famed survivor of World War II, has been told through his 2003 autobiography “Devil at my Heels”, a 2010 biography by Laura Hildebrand titled “Unbroken” and a 2014 film by Angelina Jolie. This 2014 memoir with assistance by David Rensin is formatted with short chapters providing inspiration and spiritual hope for every human being.

The memoir also provided fresh details of Zamperini’s life. Like my two sons, Zamperini was an Eagle Scout. I did n
Lauren
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
what a guy! Louis has lived through it all and learned so many basic but good to be reminded of lessons. some include survival skills, forgiveness, attitude, and basically just living life to the fullest! if every there was a person who lived it to the fullest, it would be Louis. he loved and lived life till his last breath. thankful i can meet him one day in Heaven.
Abigail the Fangirl
"All things works together for good."

This book... Wow.. This book was incredible. Louis Zamperini might of not considered himself a hero but he is definitely a hero to me. It is so amazing that he was able to pull himself together after what he went through during World War II. He cared deeply for people and lived life to the fullest. I am elated after reading this book because I cannot wait to apply his advice to my life. I have learned that I must always remain content no matter what the sit
C.P. Cabaniss
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, nonfiction
This was an interesting look into Louis Zamperini's life. It was originally written as a companion to an autobiography that he wrote and I think it would work well for that purpose. I haven't read that book, but I have read his biography by Laura Hillenbrand and this adds some nice context to the story told in that book.

If you don't know much about Louie, this probably isn't the place to start. This focuses more on a few specific things in his life and leaves the overall story of his life for t
G.M. Burrow
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, nonfiction
Not a bio, but a fun, invigorating collection of anecdotes and advice from a wise man nearing his finish line. Louis Zamperini is just the coolest.

"People tell me, 'You're such an optimist.' Am I an optimist? An optimist says the glass is half full. A pessimist says the glass is half empty. A survivalist is practical. He says, 'Call it what you want, but just fill the glass.' I believe in filling the glass."

"I'm just an ordinary man with faults who, when confronted with extraordinary circumstan
Madison
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my new favorite books! In it, Louis Zamperini shares stories from his life with frank humor, optimism, and humility. Reading his book was like sitting down and listening to him retell his life's adventures all the while gaining insight and encouragement from all he's been through. I wish I could have met him in person.
Cindy
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Written by the guy whose life was the basis for the novel and movie Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, this is his own words on that episode and so much more. Louis Zamperini was a bit of a 'wild child' as a youth - he did not seem on a good path when his brother got him interested in running track. He eventually became a star athlete in high school, then ran for USC. In 1936, he qualified for the US Olympic team not in his best event (the 1500 meter), but in ...more
Hannah
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. It was a quick read, and had many good life lessons and pointers in it. Highly recommend for anyone who was a fan of the movie or the man himself. 4 out of 5.
Abigail
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, wish-list
This book made it feel like Louis Zamperini was sitting right in front of me, telling me his story. It was funny, challenging, motivational, and life changing.
Angie
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies, history
Fun book with some great stories and advice. Much of the book made me feel like I was talking with a loving grandparent.
One of my favorite things about Louie's story is that it shows that people can (and do) change.
I read Unbroken a few years ago and worried that this would repeat all of the same stories and information. No need to worry about that. Of course, there was some cross-over, but this was a whole new adventure.
Josh Miller
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A delightful short book by Zamperini just before he died at the age of 97. Short chapters filled with rich anecdotes & lessons from the authors life will bring chuckles and insights to the reader. I especially enjoyed the chapters that the author speaks of the changes Christ brought to his life and then subsequently, to the life of others through him.
Diane S ☔
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Had to read this faster than I wanted to, it's due back at the library tomorrow. Review to follow.
Marialyce
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Courage, inspiration, intrepid, and a true Christian American, thy name is Louis Zampierini.
Iulia Sabou
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an extraordinary men, this Louis Zamperini! Beyond any doubt, I'll always keep him in my heart.
Eman
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to finish the book . I didn't want to let go. I didn't want him to leave.
may your glorious soul rest in peace ❤
Samantha
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Find this review and others on Where's My Bookmark?

Rating: 4

Louis Zamperini was well regarded as an olympian, war hero, and spiritual/religious philanthropist. In this new memoir, Zamperini shares his personal feats, lessons, and values he’s learned throughout his life.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Zamperini’s voice and personality really felt alive and seemed to jump off the page (although, I never met him in real life, it felt like I was talking to him on a personal level).

Don’t Give U
Jeanine Lent
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jeanine by: my husband
I loved reading Louis Zamperini's book. It gave a pretty good description of what he went through during his life. We see what he was like as a child & teenager & the trouble he was getting into, until his older brother saved him by directing Louis into running track. Louis became an athlete & an Olympian. He had a very difficult time during World War II, ending up in the ocean for 47 days, surviving that only to become a prisoner of war, held by the Japanese for 2 & a half years ...more
Mallory
A collection of stories and anecdotes from Louie Zamperini's amazing life, told mostly in chronological order, from boyhood to time as a WWII POW in Japan to married life and beyond. I think I would have liked it better if I'd read it in book form; listening to it felt disjointed at times. In summary, Zamperini didn't let his struggles get him too down, but always followed the Biblical principle that "all things work together for good." If you've already read Unbroken or seen the film, this is a ...more
bamlinden
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
To start, Unbroken is my all-time favorite book. Period. So when my eye caught this title on the library shelf, I took a flyer and grabbed it. While I'm not regretting the decision, I can honestly say that this book is not near the page turner that Unbroken is.

This title is more Louie than Unbroken. His words, his language. I could hear his voice more in these pages than in Unbroken. While I think that's a good thing, it drifted into a "stream of consciousness" vibe that didn't didn't inspire m
Beth Pearson
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I am a Zamperini fan and I loved reading this book. Full of common sense, inspirational encouragement, and wisdom that only comes from a long, lived life, this book had lots of little gems. Louis Zamperini's voice came through loud and clear. You can hear what's make him part of the strongest, most self reliant, greatest generation America has every produced. My only complaint was a lot of the themes were repeated over and over again. Just with different words or stories, but the idea was still ...more
Amanda
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of Louis Zamperini's life not just during WWII, but his miraculous turnaround after the war. For me, the true heroism of this man always seemed to be what he did for humanity after the war was over. I feel this book is a blessing, a true gift from a man who learned so much from life. For full review, see here. http://eagleswingsbooks.blogspot.com/...
Richard
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mr. Zamperini was a regular speaker at the summer 1963 Billy Graham meetings at the Los Angeles coliseum which I attended several times. So was Jim Vaus, and their stories were compelling. I would recommend you also read Devil at my heels.

Los Angeles in the period he speaks about was a hotbed of religious effort. Lots of great stories there.

I was pleased the Rose Parade chose him as Grand Marshall for 2015. Too bad he died before the event.
Tara deCamp
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Louis Zamperini was so humble, optimistic, and humorous. I find his attitude incredibly inspiring, especially how much he believes in optimism, kindness, and forgiveness. I've already read Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, but I found this was not redundant at all; it added many insights and adventures to the story I already knew.
Courtney Umlauf
An enjoyable read (in my case, listen) if you find his story at all fascinating. But I think I'll enjoy Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption more. This was interesting, but you can tell he's not a writer and I'm glad it wasn't too long.
Rick
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Basically a self-help title from the man who is the subject of "Unbroken." It contains some terrific back-story on some content of "Unbroken" as well as some new stories from this amazing man. There is a bit more emphasis on his faith and on his work with at-risk youth. But you need to have read either "Unbroken" or "Devil At My Heels" before this one.
Michelle
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Appropriate for: age 13+
You will like this book if you like: Inspirational stories, autobiographies

I LOVED this book! After reading Unbroken I wanted to know more about Louis. This book isn't a straight forward autobiography. In each chapter Louis teaches us a lesson and uses his life stories to illustrate this lesson. No swearing (yay!)
Bryce
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm really glad that I read this book even though I have read Unbroken as well. This book felt like sitting down for a long chat with Zamperini. His voice and optimism shine here and it is incredibly refreshing.
Gordon Alley
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Easy read. Recommended for all people. So much to learn at a man who lived life to the fullest. At this writing, Louis was 97 years old. He was never too old to learn and made it a habit to stay active to the end. He skateboarded in his late eighties to get his mail everyday.
Karen
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The more I learn about this man, the more I love him. His life and his philosophy in his own words. This book was finished shortly before he died at 97. It is more information about what his life was after Unbroken ended. Well worth the read.
  • Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference
  • Love Letters from Cell 92
  • Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography
  • The Cause Within You: Finding the One Great Thing You Were Created to Do in This World
  • Double Victory: How African American Women Broke Race and Gender Barriers to Help Win World War II
  • Skid Road: An Informal Portrait of Seattle
  • The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot
  • Dreams of Africa in Alabama: The Slave Ship Clotilda and the Story of the Last Africans Brought to America
  • Little Melba and Her Big Trombone
  • Saving Graces: Finding Solace and Strength from Friends and Strangers
  • Prepared for a Purpose: The Inspiring True Story of How One Woman Saved an Atlanta School Under Siege
  • I Could Never Be So Lucky Again
  • The Labyrinth: Memoirs Of Walter Schellenberg, Hitler's Chief Of Counterintelligence
  • Measure of a Man: From Auschwitz Survivor to Presidents' Tailor
  • The Blond Knight Of Germany: a biography of... Erich Hartmann
  • I Flew for the Führer
  • Gold Cord
  • Unbound: Breaking Free of Life's Entanglements
Louis Zamperini is best known for Laura Hillenbrand's book "Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption".

Zamperini's life started out hard. Born to Italian immigrants in New York, his family moved to Torrance, California when Louis was a toddler. At the time Louie knew no English, making him the perfect target for bullies.

With a string of luck, Louie's older brother Pete got him
More about Louis Zamperini

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Denial [Movie Tie-in]: Holocaust History on Trial
    $11.99 $1.99
  • A Very English Scandal: Sex, Lies, and a Murder Plot at the Heart of the Establishment
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Call the Midwife: Farewell to the East End
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Gomorrah: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System
    $9.99 $3.99
  • All Creatures Great and Small  (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race
  • Cheaper by the Dozen
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“You only have one life. You should never be too busy to save it.” 14 likes
“don’t be afraid to make mistakes; they are just the stepping-stones to success.” 12 likes