Start by marking “Lectures on Calvinism, The Stone Lectures of 1898” as Want to Read:
Lectures on Calvinism, The Stone Lectures of 1898

Lectures on Calvinism, The Stone Lectures of 1898

This series of lectures was delivered by Abraham Kuyper at the Princeton Theological Seminary in 1898. Over the course of the lectures, he discusses Calvinism and the way it pertains to many aspects of life including politics, science, and art. According to Kuyper, Calvinism has a natural affinity for scientific investigation, because like scientific inquiry, Calvinism see ...more
Published October 15th 2007 by Cosimo Classics (first published 1932)

Jeremy
PDF available here. Online here. If you want to read more by/on Kuyper, see here. Useful quotes here.

Very helpful book. Kuyper, who was prime minister of the Netherlands for four years, was invited by B. B. Warfield to Princeton in 1898 to participate in the Stone Lectures. An annual prize was named in his honor, and there's even a Center for Public Theology named after him. Kuyper delivered these lectures between Oct. 10–21, approximately one month before the birth of C. S. Lewis (Nov. 29, 1898
Scott
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time reading Kuyper. Some of the content flew straight over my head while some of it was really, really great. I feel like Kuyper is a good example of looking at how worldview shapes how we act/think, etc. To him, Calvinism is not just a theologically system but a life system.

A couple of other cool things found in reading Kuyper...
-I'm almost certain he helped to develop the doctrine of common grace. With his understanding of the activity of God over all things, it makes total sense that
Rick Sam
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chuck Colson recommended this book in an interview. I like it how he integrates Calvinism within his worldview. He has a high view of Calvinism, frequently says it is the reason for many changes in Western Society. This is interesting; However I couldn't find sources to back his claims.

Kuyper emphasizes giving God everything, an unflinching service; He adds saying, In everything God is present, our thoughts, our actions. He explains influence of Calvinism in Protestant countries, concepts of So
Jeff Hart
Kuyper's Lectures on Calvinism are a must-read for anyone interested in worldview studies. His basic claim is that the Calvinistic system provides a comprehensive life-system, beginning first and foremost with our relation to God, then proceeding to our relation to fellow men, and finally to our relation to the world. He demonstrates his thesis by outlining the connections between Calvinism and religion, politics, science, and art (each in their own lecture) while touching on a number of other t ...more
Matthew Colvin
Has the virtue of elaborating a single powerful theme: God's sovereignty in human life. Puts forth the important ideas of common grace and sphere sovereignty. But the book is marred by the prominent role accorded to some of Kuyper's worst ideas. He gerrymanders Calvinism in order to claim that the suppression of heretics like Servetus is not compatible with it (he advocates a sort of principled pluralism). His chapter on art is almost wholly vitiated by the gnostic idea that higher sorts of wors ...more
Alex Stroshine
Abraham Kuyper is arguably one of the greatest Christian thinkers of the 19th and 20th centuries. A journalist, theologian and politician (including prime minister of the Netherlands from 1901-1905), here Kuyper delivers six dense, informative, profound lectures on the impact of Calvinism upon the world. Kuyper's writing is excellent and full of flair and flourish but I feel as if upon examination from a 21st-century lens, his excessive praise for Calvinism is vulnerable to critiques. One of the ...more
Andrew Mcneill
This was a really curious book. There were of course, some excellent sections which I thoroughly enjoyed, but throughout the book, Kuyper lives in a bizarre fantasy that Calvinism is and has the potential to be, the greatest worldview the world has ever seen. Consequently, he continually glorifies Calvinism and its incarnation in the Netherlands and shows how wonderful it is. But this involves a rather simplistic view of history, current affairs and science (among other things). He should at lea ...more
Vincent
Abraham Kuyper, voorvechter van het Nederlandse calvinisme en oprichter van de Anti-Revolutionaire Partij (voorloper van CDA), beschrijft in deze zes lezingen zijn visie op het Calvinisme in religie, in kunst, in de staat, in de geschiedenis, in de wetenschap en in de toekomst. Het boek begint met een biografische schets van Kuyper, geschreven door George Harinck.

De eerste lezing gaat over het Calvinisme in de historie. Kuyper beschrijft het ontstaan van de leer van Johannes Calvijn, en betrekt
Phillip Howell
This book is fascinating. It is not about T.U.L.I.P. (in fact the 5 points of Calvinism were not organized like that until the early 1900s after Kuyper's time).

The chief purpose of these lectures was to eradicate the wrong idea that Calvinism represented an exclusively dogmatical and ecclesiastical movement.

Outline of the Book:

First Lecture – Calvinism A Life-System

Calvinism is incontestably entitled to take its stand by the side of Paganism, Islamism, Romanism, and Modernism, and to claim for
John
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kuyper argues that Calvinism is not just a theological system, but is in fact a complete world and life view on the order of Islam, Roman Catholicism, and paganism. Not only is it a world and life view, but it is the highest and most mature of world and life views. It is a complete system that gives order and structure to the world based on the Bible and its teaching.

Kuyper builds upon and describes the import of this fact by demonstrating how Calvinism answers the basic questions of how man re
Anita
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Calvinism
As a baby Calvinist, I found this book inspiring because it showed me how the Prostetant Reformation has deeply impacted Western Civilization and Culture. Not only was the impact in the past, but I could see that it is still and will always impact society in every area. I love Kuyper's ability to speak to the heart and mind of man. I kept checking the date of when the lectures were given in disbelief. I would have thought the book was written in the twentieth century by the way he spoke. I suppo ...more
Jacob Aitken
I guess it was exciting when it first came out. And worldview manual today will give you more bang for your buck and probably do it in a clearer and more succinct manner.

While it is true that Calvinism is an active faith, and one can even urge that it is a transforming faith, the problem with this line of reasoning is that was not the Reformers' primary goal. They sought to reform worship in the church. A lot of Kuyperians simply miss that observation.
Marcel
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Que livro! Seis palestras do Dr Kuyper, proferidas em Princeton (1898), que nos mostram o Calvinismo não apenas como corrente teológica, mas como uma visão que abrange toda a nossa vida.
Douglas Wilson
Excellent.
Ryan
Dan
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rts
Kuyper was the Prime Minister of Netherlands (1901-05) and a reformed theologian. In this book, he discusses the impact of Calvinistic thought on broader society. He carefully argues that Calvinism isn't just a soteriological concept; rather, it is a comprehensive life-system with implications extending into politics, science, and the arts. In understanding the relationship of each of these areas of life, he posits the concept of sphere-sovereignty, which helpfully delineates the distinct respon ...more
Andrew Harrison
Jan 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was told a while ago that I MUST read this book. Excitedly I dug in and within a matter of minutes I found myself at odds with most of Kuyper's teachings. Page after page of philosophical speculation poured out of Kuyper's. His ideas were firmly rooted in something other than the bible. Ultimately, this book is what actually lead me to abandon "reformed theology". By "reformed theology" I don't mean the doctrines of grace and/or covenant theology which I wholeheartedly agree with. What I mean ...more
svarog
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible introduction to Calvinism not just as theology, but as the root of a philosophical, political, scientific, and artistic perspective as well. The doctrine of predestination, while simple to state, brings new perspectives on how God influences every sphere of life. The Kindle version is unproofread OCR garbage, though.
Peter Clegg
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great introduction to Biblical worldview. Kuyper shows the sovereignty and supremacy of God in all spheres of life. My only criticism is that he does not separate the Biblical Calvinistic worldview from that of Rome. Calvinism and Biblical theology are vastly different from the popish religion.
Allan Gallo Antonio
Uma defesa clara, concisa e acadêmica do Calvinismo como um sistema que engloba diversas áeas da vida e conhecimento humano. Leitura fundamental para os iniciantes em filosofia Reformacional. Obra prima da política.
Ryan Watkins
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This book gave me a great deal of respect for Kuyper even though I won't consider myself a Kuyperian. I think a charitable reading of both Kuyper and the two kingdom advocates would make both sides realize they aren't as far apart as many would want you to think.
Jordan Shirkman
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not an easy read—very philosophical and cerebral at times, but prophetic considering the lectures were given in 1898. Interesting connections and arguments for the impact of Calvinism on our modern world.
Laurent Dv
Good overview of the applications of calvinism (during the Reformation and the Post-Reformation era) to diverse domains regularly considered as "secular" : art (music, sculpture, painting), politics, science, religion. You can consider it as a work on cultural apologetics.
Benjamin John
Interesting lectures, some much more interesting than others. (Felt Science lecture was fairly inconsequential) Sphere Sovereignty has very interesting political implications
Ian
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really a cut above most of the superficial worldview baloney books. I think one could question Kuyper's analysis on many points, but his thinking is vigorously argued for and quite erudite.
Aurora Grace
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dominionism
Kuyper is the grandfather of dominionism, primarily transplanted to American soil from Kuyper's own Netherlands via this series of lectures
Nolan Fox
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am no longer afraid of being called a Calvinist!
Edgar Soltero-flores
I really liked this book. I was encouraged to see how my faith can influence every aspect of life. I especially liked the first chapter and the appeal to history afterwards.
Tony Lee Ross Jr.
A must-read to all those who are still upset about Calvinism on social media but can't seem to represent it correctly.
Claudio
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • Heaven Misplaced
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • The Christ of the Covenants
Abraham Kuyper was a Dutch politician, journalist, statesman and theologian. He founded the Anti-Revolutionary Party and was prime minister of the Netherlands between 1901 and 1905.
“God created hand, head, and heart; the hand for the deed, the head for the world, the heart for mysticism.” 13 likes
“Free love may try to dissolve, and the concubinate to desecrate, the holiest tie, as it pleases; but, for the vast majority of our race, marriage remains the foundation of human society and the family retains its position as the primordial sphere in sociology.” 6 likes