Start by marking “Catch Me When I Fall” as Want to Read:
Catch Me When I Fall

Catch Me When I Fall

Unabridged

Holly Krauss lives her life in the fast lane. A successful, happily married businesswoman, she is loved and admired by everyone she meets.

But that’s only one side of Holly. The other takes regular walks on the wild side and is making reckless mistakes.

When the two sides of Holly’s life collide, her world quickly spirals out of control. She thinks she’s being stal
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 5th 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Catch Me When I Fall, please sign up.
Shaambhavi Pathak From my understanding, she had bought two rockets to be set off by the end of the wedding as a surprise to her friend. But something went wrong. She w…moreFrom my understanding, she had bought two rockets to be set off by the end of the wedding as a surprise to her friend. But something went wrong. She was able to set one off correctly but the other blew itself. I am not sure about sooty faces. Also, bi-polar disorder is a condition which does not go away. So, while calling her nuts is not something I'd go with but yes, she would have still had the condition, under control if she was taking her medications (which no one can say for sure, since patients often lie) or maybe starting to get out of control. (less)

Start your review of Catch Me When I Fall
Camille
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, 2010, thriller
Kaethe Douglas
Good grasp of bipolar disorder, as well as an interesting suspense novel.
Tina
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, this book was between 2 and 3 stars, so it's for me a generous 3 star book. The twist at the end was interesting :)
Natalia
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine recommended this to me. Knowing her taste I was eager to read it as her recommendations have never disappointed. However this one was a tad too boring for my taste. I didn't relate to or like any of the characters and I didn't have the feeling anything really happened. Definitely not a page-turner for me. Not bad, just not my style.
Roz Morris
I didn't expect to like this - but I really did. It's tautly plotted, well written and kept me gripped.
There's a prologue which I found was unnecessary and rather abstract, and felt it had probably been put there only to provide a mysterious beginning. A character talks about 'dying twice' and a lot of other stuff that makes no sense because we don't know who she is or what anyone's been doing. It seriously put me off. But once we got into the opening scene, I was quickly hooked. The characters
Lisa
Jan 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really disappointing! I've read others by her and enjoyed them, but this is not the thriller the title promises. In fact, it could be summed up as "Woman succumbs to bipolar disorder as her life spirals out of control: her best friend steps in to clean things up, support her and unmask the ill woman's husband as a creep." No suspense here.
Bettie
Description: A successful, happily married businesswoman, Holly Krauss is loved and admired by everyone she meets. But that's only one side of Holly: the other takes regular walks on the wild side. When the two sides of Holly's life collide, her world spirals out of control . . .

Tracy Quarrell
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic study of bi polar disorder as well as a good suspenseful read. Read in a day and well recommended.
Vishy
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first saw a Nicci French book at the bookshop a few years back. I can’t remember which book it was. What I remember was that when I read the plot summary on the back cover, I found it quite gripping and I wanted to read the book. For some reason I didn’t get the book, but I made a mental note to read a Nicci French book when I was in the mood for a gripping thriller. Sometime back I was in a book sale and out of the rows and rows of books, out popped a Nicci French book trying to catch my atte ...more
Sharon Mariampillai
This was an interesting read. I was quite fascinated with the beginning of the book where the character, Holly, talks about 'dying twice.' She states that she wanted to die, and the second time was because someone was trying to kill her. The opening drew me in. I was intrigued by the story. The characters were great. Holly was a bit wild for my taste, but I did enjoy her POV. My favourite character was Meg. I loved her, and I love how she always was there for Holly and wanted to help her out. He ...more
Josh
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reread, read_2015
Inspired to read a novel that showed the reader multiple perspectives, be it either points of view, different timelines, or different stories weaved together to form a broad single narrative after having read PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME HERE, the new Aussie crime novel by Tania Chandler, CATCH ME WHEN I FALL fit the bill, though I didn't delve in without some apprehension.

I recall really liking the first half of this novel only to be let down by the drab second stanza. Not the case this time around.
Christie
I’m a big fan of Nicci French. (For those of you who don’t know- Nicci French is actually the married couple Nicci Gerrard and Sean French.)

I first discovered them with the book Killing Me Softly, which I absolutely loved. Since then I have read several more of their books, plus two others written by Nicci Gerrard on her own. So - I am a fan. Together as Nicci French, they write a really great sort of psychological fiction- filled with menace and surprises and shadowy figures. Page-turners.

Catch
Jayn Emm
Aug 23, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wasted hours of my life reading this book. I feel as though the author could have thickened out the story a bit. It was my first Nicci French read and I wish I could get those hours back! Horrible I tell you! It was all plot after plot no resolution or too quick a resolution. If this was French's debut I would be more understanding but apparently it's the fourth book or something so there really is no excuse for such pathetic writing. I'm sorry to be so harsh but I really hated it.
Libby Andrews
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping story about Holly Kraus, a wild successful business woman who shows no fear and parties hard.. or does she? The story starts out as Holly's version of events, but as the plot thickens her best friend and business partner tells the story. The reader is kept guessing right up until the last 40 pages when the plot is revealed. Well written and a real page turner.
Joan
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was too creepy. I was riveted, and I read it very quickly, but I can't say I enjoyed it.
Karen Barber
Honestly, this was exhausting, so I can only imagine what it would be like to live in this way.
Holly is a vibrant energetic young woman. When we first meet her she’s throwing herself into a crazy party and gets herself into a potentially dangerous situation. Then we watch her head home to her husband and wonder if there’s more to this story.
Watching Holly go about her business was exhausting. She is a train-wreck waiting to happen, alienating everyone around her and making mistakes. Around the p
Dieneke Van Der Spek
John Marsh
Kingfan30
I thought this was my second read by this author, when in fact, I found it's my fourth when checking back. It appears on looking at those reviews that none of them have particularly blown me away. This story has an interesting concept in that it's told in two fifferent voices. The first part as Holly, which starts off with her being very unlikable but as the story unfolds you begin to find out why. The second part is told from the point of view of Meg, Hollys friend. The story unravels more but ...more
Shar
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I was so put off by the story as I did not like the main character, Holly, at all. (view spoiler) I felt like there was almost no depth to this story. I didn't feel very invested in the story and the only part I really enjoyed was the last 50 or so pages as that was when the real thriller of the story happened. It still felt very rushed, and I would ha ...more
Joan
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Morris
A competent fast-paced thriller with the usual high concept hook and facile TVish feel of the genre - but a cut above most in one respect, at least, which is that the authors did the necessary work so that the plot all fits together and runs smoothly. Look at the bit of business with the note at the end - that's the sort of story component that good writing demands, but that the reader probably doesn't even notice.
Francesca
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book, the first I have read from this author and I absolutely loved the relationship between Holly and Meg. Meg definitely knows what being a friend means. I also enjoyed the two different point of views in the two parts of it. Worth reading it and sooner or later I will read more from this author.
Michel
Sep 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-susp
Hated this book, really hated it!
But it kept me mesmerized till the end, and after - so maybe it deserves a better rating?
Madness is scarier than anything... Even betrayal.
Thank God for Meg, the voice of love!
I think I'm going to stay away from this author.
Eva Luna
Rating: 3.5
This was definitely an interesting read, I'm going to try to pick up another book from this duo (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French) soon! I totally loved the writing style and story building.
Lucii Dixon
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa, what have I just read? Seriously, my mind is a like jumbled zoo of words from a story that started out making no sense. I had no idea where the story was going, no indication of any drama that would occur, and no possible way of knowing anything like THAT ending was going to happen.

I'm actually rather speechless. It goes into so much detail about mental health, including the symptoms, that I felt I learn stuff quite new to me also. The characters were phenomenal and really touched me, esp
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought, great, another unreliable narrator. But then that all changed and I realized, you know I think I might be experiencing the character's descent into madness. And why do these symptoms seem so familiar? I really did like the fact that there was really no warning to it. First she acts pretty wild, then calm, then wild again. I thought she was a flake, but no. I finally caught on and then for me, the book just took off.

Normally I don't like a back and forth point of view but in
Becky
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Not my usual anymore, but it was really good to pass some time at work. It also presented a fairly good representation of bipolar disorder. I can see where some readers were put off by the main character in her manic modes, but I could easily understand the feelings she was going through so maybe that made it easier for me. While there was a lot of time spent writing about her manic episodes, there was very little about the low feelings most people with this disease go through ...more
Jovdb
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caitlin
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really hard for me to initially get into, namely because I couldn’t get behind the main character’s behavior. Then it started picking up, and once it became clear she suffered a mental disorder, it was more understandable.

The second half is from Meg’s perspective, which sheds a ton of light through the craziness of Holly’s.

Overall a good read, and my first from this author.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• De kraamhulp
  • Mrs. Degas
  • Perfect Little Children
  • I Made a Mistake
  • Borderline (Annika Bengtzon, #9)
  • Het Luxor Resort
  • The Strangers We Know
  • Through the Wall
  • Wat jij niet ziet
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature