Start by marking “Tree and Leaf: Including the Poem Mythopoeia” as Want to Read:
Tree and Leaf: Including the Poem Mythopoeia

Tree and Leaf: Including the Poem Mythopoeia

Tolkien's classic essay on fantasy, "On Fairy Stories", is complemented by his charming story, "Leaf by Niggle" and the poem "Mythopoeia".
Published December 12th 1991 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Tree and Leaf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tree and Leaf

Start your review of Tree and Leaf: Including the Poem Mythopoeia
Alex
Feb 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
Μια μελέτη από τον Θωμά Μαστακούρη σχετικά με τον Τόλκιν κυρίως ως συγγραφέα και λιγότερο ως άνθρωπο. Δύσκολα το λες μελέτη αλλά περισσότερο μια παράθεση πληροφοριών χωρίς συγκεκριμένο αντικείμενο, μια γενική άποψη για το έργο του καθηγητή, επιφανειακές αμπελοφιλοσοφικές αναλύσεις των μηνυμάτων που περιέχει,τυχόν μεταφορές σε κινηματογράφο και τις επιρροές σε άλλους συγγραφείς φαντασίας αλλά και επιτραπέζια/βιντεοπαιχνίδια.

150 σελίδες παρωχημένων πληροφοριών (με ελάχιστες εξαιρέσεις, κυρίως στο
Nick Imrie
On fairy stories is a beautiful essay. It has a meandering flow; he doubles back on himself, considers this, considers that, and had me drifting along, nodding along, all the way to the end, when I realised that I had been so soothed that I had hardly taken note of anything. I had to go back and read it again.
This rambling, thinking-aloud essay asks three questions:

What is a fairy story?
What is the origin of the fairy element?
What, if any, are the values and functions of fairy stories now?

Many
Caíque Apolinário
Estas obras foram publicadas por volta da mesma época, final dos anos 30 e começo dos anos 40, por volta dos dias em que o nosso querido Tolkien se empenhava em escrever o começo da jornada da Terra Média. Temos dois em um nesta edição: um ensaio, que nada mais é que uma pesquisa objetiva com algumas reflexões, onde Tolkien nos instiga a pensar sobre contos de fadas. O que são, de onde vem, para onde vão.... Esse tipo de coisa. E o segundo, é um conto chamado “Folha, de Migalha” onde temos uma ...more
Dimitra
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: companions
Καταπληκτική δουλειά!
Τρομερή, πλήρης έρευνα γύρω από τον Tolkien, ως προς τη ζωή του, το συγγραφικό του έργο κλπ.
Η έρευνα αναλύει πολλά σημεία/εξελίξεις γύρω από τα κύρια έργα του Tolkien (Άρχοντας των Δαχτυλιδιών, Χόμπιτ, Σιλμαρίλλιον), τις κριτικές, τις επιρροές του συγγραφέα, το πως δημιουργήθηκαν εξ' αρχής.
...ΤΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ!
Φοβερό και αρκετά συλλεκτικό βιβλίο για όσους αγαπούν τον Tolkien!
Λάτρεψα κάθε σελίδα του και έμαθα πολλά πράγματα που με κάνουν να σέβομαι και να αγαπώ το συγγραφικό έργο του,
bluetyson
isbn,original
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Δυστυχώς παρά το θέμα του μ' έκανε να το βαρεθώ.
Nathan Albright
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2019
This book is one whose genre is difficult to tell. To be sure, the writings in this book are all connected by a theme, namely fantasy as a genre and the writing of fantasy, but the works themselves are three entirely different genres that approach the topic of choice in very different ways. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as the generic diversity does allow the reader of this short work (around 100 pages or so in length) to appreciate on a small scale the diversity of the author in terms of ...more
Deanna Lauren
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tree and Leaf includes 5 of Tolkien's works: On Fairy-Stories, Mythopoeia, Leaf by Niggle, The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm’s Son.

Tolkien on Fairy Stories is a fantastic essay I have read a number of times throughout my university career and used on numerous occasions in academic literary analysis papers. Tolkien writes a compelling defence of fantasy, or "fairy stories" in this essay. Any lover of Tolkien or the fantasy genre in general should give this essay a read.

Mythopoeia -
Caleb Watson
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a short collection of Tolkien’s writings. Included are his famous essay “On Fairy stories”, his short story “Leaf By Niggle”, and his poem “Mythopoeia”, which was written in response to dismissive remarks made by C.S. Lewis toward fairy stories (Lewis was an atheist, and naturalist at the time.)

The common thread between these works is Tolkien’s notion of good art being what he calls “sub-creation” which communicates glimpses of foundational, and transcendent reality. Authors of fantasy
Pamela Scott

So, this is a bit of a mixed bag of Tolkien’s work including a rather long essay and a poem. I enjoyed the essay the most. I thought it was well researched and hugely entertaining. I also enjoyed the poem, Mythopoeia. I’m a bit of a poet nut though and there’s not enough genre poetry around if you ask me so this was delightful. The other two pieces, Leaf by Niggle and The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth were just so-so. This wasn’t a bad read.
Liz
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
JRR *#You have to like allegory (or, heh, at least CORDIALLY dislike it) and believing in the afterlife helps too, but what he does here with art and existence is perfect.
Also, on fairy stories basically defined a genre. So, you know. There’s that.
David Vance
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most incredible little books I’ve ever read. You forget how compelling Tolkien’s writing is. But here you’ve got a non-fictional essay that pushes my mind to the brink of its capacity, one of the best short stories I’ve ever come across, and a poem that weaves together faith and imagination with an incredible rhyme scheme. The ultimate answer to materialism.
Tim
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
Leaf by Niggle is the most readable and interesting. On Fairy-Stories has some insightful bits but is not entirely clear. Mythopoeia is a short poem. The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth is written in Old English style with an accompanying shrewd commentary on the Old English story fragment on which it is based.
Oddy
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an important edition to Tolkien shelves everywhere. It describes ideas that are fundamental in Tolkien's methods for story telling. It's definitely one I will be coming back too as I gain better understanding of the ideas presented here since a lot of the lecture/essay went over my head. My favorite, though, is the story of Niggle and how it's a sort of contrast to The Chronicles of Narnia in it's exploration of morality vs mortality
Dan Johnson
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Leaf by Niggle" has always been a favorite of mine. I see more of Niggle in myself as I grow older. Tolkien's knowledge of folk tales, "fairy" tales, and epic heroic tales, shines through in his essays.
Firi
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ya lo había leído hace muuuchos años.
Me encanta el relato Hoja de Niggle, es muy bonito~
Sophie (RedheadReading)
An interesting discussion on what makes a fairytale and the appeal therein! Niggle's Leaf was also a sweet little tale.
F.J. Commelin
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Also in his short stories he is a strong writer.
Smith of Wootton Major is another fairy tale by him, which is a favorite of mine
José M.
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Un libro que no puede pasar desapercibido para los promotores de la lectura en niños y jóvenes, puesto que Tolkien es un autor predilecto leído mayoritariamente por los segundos. Pero este libro no versa sobre una historia fantástica, sino que es un tratado ensayístico acerca de temas como la fantasía, la creación literaria, la relación de los cuentos de hadas o fantásticos, tradicionalmente asociados a los niños, la importancia de la imaginación, etcétera.
Dos ideas son destacables; primero
Courtney Kleefeld
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The poem Mythopoeia and the essay On Fairy Stories alone is enough to give this collection five stars. The essay On Fairy Stories is for writers/storytellers who write fantasy/fairy stories, and for scholars or readers who are curious about the nature of fairy stories and want to learn more. Tolkien approaches it by talking about the Middle English poems and epics like the Faerie Queene and Thomas the Bard and others. I recommend this to anyone who loves Tolkien's fiction (the books, not just ...more
W.G. Saraband
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Tree and Leaf" is a wonderful essay for all those who are interested in the Fantasy genre, either as reader or as writers themselves. Tolkien explores some crucial ideas, mainly the fact that we tend to link Fairy-stories with children, and the Escapist role of Fantasy in the lives of common people. Tolkien also presents some very interesting considerations about the sub-creative aspect of Fantasy writing, and the need to create a cohesive reality behind a fantastic background, in order to ...more
Katrin
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ο Μαστακουρης εγραψε για ριζες και φυλλα της μεσης-γης, και αυτο ακριβος περιεχει το βιβλιο. λιγο γραφει για την ζωη του τολκιεν, απο που πειρε την ιδεα για το κοσμο που γεννηθηκε στο μυαλο του. ο μαστακουρης σιγουρα ειναι παιχτης ρολων, γιατι γραφει αρκετα για το παιχνιδι. πολη ενδιαφερομαι για το βιβλιο, αλλα δεν μου αρεσε πος διαλεξε τι τελικα αξιζει να εχει μια σελιδα του βιβλιου και αλλα εργα μονο μερικες λεξες. πολυ βλεπω και την γνομη του, που δεν ειχε αναγγη. εμαθα ομως καποια πραγματα, ...more
Sheena
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, fantasy
I admit I didn't read all of the essay, "On Fairy-Stories." I read about fifteen pages and lost interest. I think I read it years ago for a research paper because it felt familiar.

I did read "Leaf by Niggle," which I found to be a very cute short story. "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth" felt very "Beowulf." I could easily see it as a short stage act with lights and shadows.
Martin Hernandez
Este libro me pareció mas bien aburrido... Esta edición en particular forma parte de una colección de veintitantos volúmenes que publicaron aprovechando la popularidad de las películas, e incluyen todo lo que escribió TOLKIEN, incluyendo los apuntes y versiones descartadas de sus libros. Una colección exagerada, con muchos tomos de escaso interés para el lector "regular".
Melody
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just read this with the essay "On Fairy Stories," the short story "A Leaf by Niggle" and the poem "Mythopoeia." The essay I would give 5 stars, but then the story and poem are not the best works by Tolkien. The story is largely allegorical which is a distracting style and the poem is nice but not thrilling. The rating is largely for the essay, which I wish was the whole book.
Elena Delos
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ya había leído el ensayo sobre los cuentos de hadas de Tolkien, y también Hoja de Niggle, pero no podía dejar pasar esta edición que contiene Mitopoeia y así, una vez más, enamorarme de la prosa de Tokien, tan grande, tan grande...
Ania
Chociaż wcześniej już czytałam esej "O baśniach", a "Liść, dzieło Niggle'a" też jest mi dobrze znane, to nigdy wcześniej nie dane mi było przeczytać "Mythopei". I teraz w końcu - stało się!
Ross Emmett
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten that Mythopoeia was written for C.S. Lewis, before he became a Christian. I read this to see Tolkien's theory of sub-creation. Leaf by Niggle shows his approach quite well.
Escribana
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: en-mi-biblioteca
un gran libro, en especiaa si quieres entender la manera de escribir de Tolkien

• The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming
  • Theology of Home: Finding the Eternal in the Everyday
  • Wit
  • The Rector of Justin
  • Babette's Feast
  • Waste Tide
  • Letter to a Suffering Church: A Bishop Speaks on the Sexual Abuse Crisis
  • An Experiment in Criticism
  • Sinners in the Hands of a Loving God: The Scandalous Truth of the Very Good News
  • You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions
  • The End is Now (The Apocalypse Triptych, #2)
  • The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus
  • Reunion: The Good News of Jesus for Seekers, Saints, and Sinners
  • The End is Nigh (The Apocalypse Triptych, #1)
  • Discipleship on the Edge: An Expository Journey Through the Book of Revelation
  • The Robot Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • On Prayer
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English
“God made the petreous rocks, the arboreal trees,
tellurian earth, and stellar stars, and these
homuncular men, who walk upon the ground
with nerves that tingle touched by light and sound.
The movements of the sea, the wind in boughs,
green grass, the large slow oddity of cows,
thunder and lightning, birds that wheel and cry,
slime crawling up from mud to live and die,
these each are duly registered and print
the brain's contortions with a separate dint.”
0 likes