Start by marking “How to Catch a Star” as Want to Read:
How to Catch a Star

How to Catch a Star (The Boy #1)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,360 Ratings  ·  234 Reviews
Once there was a boy, and that boy loved stars very much. So much so that he decided to catch one of his very own. But how? Waiting for them to grow tired from being up in the sky all night doesn't work. Climbing to the top of the tallest tree? No, not tall enough. The boy has a rocket ship . . . but it is made of paper and doesn't fly well at all. Finally, just when the b ...more
Hardcover, 10th Anniversary Edition, 32 pages
Published March 27th 2014 by HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (first published June 3rd 2004)

Mar 27, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

Oliver Jeffers has done it again! The man can spin pure magic with such simple words, images, and joys in life.

Our young hero is determined to catch a star. It’s his dream. After waiting, jumping, and stretching though, his dream still looks and feels so far away.

”But in his heart, the wish just wouldn’t give up.”

These big, open, colorful pages will inspire readers of all ages to keep reaching for the stars. Hope and smiles shimmer and shine on every page. Sometimes we need to look at goals and
Trelawn
Jan 23, 2016 Trelawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read with beautiful illustrations (as usual) by Jeffers about a boy who wants to catch a star. Particularly good if your child currently has a space rocket obsession :-)
. اليازية خليفة
جميل أن نعلم الأطفال كيف يكونوا حالمين، هذه القصة جعلتني أنا الأخرى أحلم! أحب الفضاء وكنت أحلم بأن أنضم إلى "ناسا" وأزور الكواكب.. ولكن أن تكون النجمة صديقتي فهذا حلم أروع من أن أكتفي بزيارة كوكب!!

ملاحظتي كانت حول فكرة أن تكون النجمة صديقة للولد بذاته، ربما-أقول ربما- اللفظ الذي استخدمه قد يعزز من الأنانية -- وربما لا يؤثر على الإطلاق!
An Abundance of Books
This book has sweet spare illustrations done in beautiful and vibrant colors. Jeffers' use of watercolor gives the simple pictures texture and shading that make the illustrations stand out from the crowd. There are gorgeous dark blues and deep violets, people with cute stick legs, and lollypop trees with a square or two layered over the top. (My first graders loved the stick legs and squares in the trees.)

The Boy goes out looking for a star to be his friend, "they'd play hide-and-go-seek, take l
Kayleigh
Oct 11, 2011 Kayleigh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How to catch a star is a book that could be aimed at the Early Years age or KS1. It is about a boy who is determined to catch a star. He uses his imagination to come up with a number of ways to catch a star and does not give up. The boy waits all day to find the star he wants, but soon realises the star is not going to appear. Once night time falls the star appears.

He uses things such as a life ring to catch to star but soon finds out that this fails as he cannot quite reach it. The boy tries a
Ben Phillips
Sep 16, 2013 Ben Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How to Catch a Star is a book for young children that follows the adventures of a small boy who dreams of catching a star to befriend and play with. The book is written by Oliver Jeffers who has written a series of short stories.

It is apparent that the author has placed great emphasis on keeping the sentences simple and descriptive, with the main focus being on the vibrant and colourful pictures used to describe what is going on in a particular scene. The pictures also give class teachers/parent
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I love Oliver Jeffers' books, especially his series about the little boy, of which this is the first book. We had already read the next book, Lost and Found , the one where a lost penguin turns up on his doorstep and he tries to help it find its way home again - such a wonderful book! This one is just as delightful, and really captures the kids' imaginations.

In this story, the boy loves stars and wants one. He tries many different ways to catch a star, like climbing to the top of the tree to re
Fatheha Begum
Jan 18, 2013 Fatheha Begum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
'HOW TO CATCH A STAR' is a story about a young boy who loves stars and wants to catch a star of his own. When he wakes up one morning he sees there are no stars in the sky so he waits and waits. Finally the sun sets and the boy sees a star and sets out to catch it.How will he ever catch the star? the story is written from the viewpoint of the child,therefore the reasoning and imagination is child like. This is a very sweet story and I would recommend it for children from 5 up. The book has very ...more
Rebecca
How to Catch a Star/ Oliver Jeffers/ 2006

Genre: Picture Book/ Fiction

Format: Book

Summary: Once there was a boy, and the boy loved stars very much. Every night he watched stars from his bedroom window and wished that he had one of his own. He dreamed of how this star might be his friend and how they would play together. So one day, the boy decided to try and catch a star...but first he had to think of a plan.

Considerations and Precautions: This is a great story about never giving up on a dream an
Kyran Delaney
Jun 05, 2012 Kyran Delaney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to Catch a Star by Oliver Jeffers is amongst one of the most beautiful contemporary children books I have read. I read the book to a Reception Class while on placement. Even though they had already heard the story each one was more than happy to hear it again and again.
The story is told in very basic style in which children are encouraged to dream and reach out for the impossible. It tells the tale of an unnamed boy's quest to catch himself a star from the sky. He sees the stars in the sky o
Maryam Fiaz
I like how this books uses some children's misconceptions of scientific ideas to create a story. Definitely a book that could be used for any primary age where older children could be asked to correct the misconceptions Carl believed and what really happened at the end of the story. The story goes through the typical Oliver Jeffers writing style of a story but still seems fresh and different. Overall a good read!!
Laura-Lynne Smith
So I decided this year I am only going to add my absolute favourite books I read with my son to my Goodreads. This has to be one. I picked up 4 board books by this author & LOVED every one of them. This one is the first in the series & definitely sets the stage for the series. The boy decides he wants to have a star for a friend and sets out to try to make it happen. If you're looking for a great book to read your kids I would recommend this series.
Emma
Apr 09, 2010 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once there was a boy and that boy loved stars very much. In fact, he could think of nothing grander than catching his own star to call his friend in How to Catch a Star (2004) by Oliver Jeffers.

Jeffers's whimsical first picture book blends easy to follow text with sharp, clean illustrations to create something remarkable. Everything about this story invites readers to stop for moment and plan their own scheme to catch that elusive star.

It's not easy to build suspense into a 32 page picture book,
Charlotte Gray
May 04, 2012 Charlotte Gray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘How to catch a star.’ This title captures the entire essence of the book which is about a little boy trying to catch a star. It is narrated from the point of view of the child and so the logic of how to catch the start is childlike. For example, the little boy will be able to catch a star early in the morning when it is tired as it has been in the sky all night.
The book is well illustrated and is in large format, so children will really feel drawn into the scene. The moral of the book, I belie
Claire Russell
Jan 17, 2013 Claire Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to Catch a Star is a lovely book to read to those in EYFS, but could also be used for later years. It tells the story of a boy who wants to find a star of his very own. He searches everywhere, even trying to go up the moon, but he'd run out of petrol last Tuesday. Just when he is about to give up, he sees a star floating by in the sea, but realises he cannot catch it, he instead catches a starfish which he is delighted with.

The book could be used in PSHE for KS1. The prevailing message bein
Cara Byrne
A sweet premise, but this picture book lacks the inventiveness and cleverness as found in other books by Jeffers.
Jenny Schuth
Jan 22, 2016 Jenny Schuth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
How to Catch a Star by Oliver Jeffers is about a young boy who has a big dream. He wants to catch a star and keep it as his best friend. The only problem is that no matter how hard he tries he can't actually capture a star. He comes up with as many ways to pull it out of the sky and none of them work. Until one day he finds one on the beach and is able to take it home.

I think this book was sweet and heart warming. The little boy made me feel like I was a kid again dreaming of the impossible esp
Jenna Kennedy
How to Catch a Star by Oliver Jeffers begins with the usual “Once there was a boy” and tells of how he would watch the start out of his window. Throughout the story, the little boy’s character displays realistic aspects of the average young boy, who seeks adventure and is curious of all things. The fluidity of the text is made visual through the bold, black text on the white pages. He goes out to catch a star, and tries all he can try to get one of his own. The night sky fills the page with a be ...more
Jill
Oct 11, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raise your hand if you had a poster in your dorm at college with this famous Herman Hesse passage from Damien:

And she told me about a youth who had fallen in love with a planet. He stood by the sea, stretched out his arms and prayed to the planet, dreamed of it, and directed all his thoughts to it. But he knew, or felt he knew, that a star cannot be embraced by a human being. He considered it his fate to love a heavenly body without any hope of fulfillment and out of this insight he constructed
Amy Higgs
Mar 25, 2014 Amy Higgs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How to Catch a Star is such an endearing book by Oliver Jeffers. The illustrations are wonderful and make you just want to keep reaching for the next page.

The book follows a little boy who dreams of one day catching a star- but how?

The sentences are short and sharp, yet descriptive and the illustrations make you feel as though you are there with the boy looking for that star.

This book would be brilliant for lower ks2, but I think it is suitable for any age and even upper ks2 children will be abl
Justyn Rampa
Jan 28, 2011 Justyn Rampa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Oliver Jeffers first book and I kind of adore this man.

The book flap is almost as important to read as the story and I love his "about the author" blurbs.

This book deals with wanting something only to discover that things aren't where, or what, we expect them to be.

The illustrations are darling and he manages to capture quite a bit of emotion and warmth with very minimalist illustrations.
Timothy Matthew
Aug 26, 2015 Timothy Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once there was a boy who loved stars very much and one day decided that he would catch one of his own and make it his new best friend. He tried various ways of trying to capture a star without success until one day as he had given up hope a little shiny star floated into his life.

This book captures the imagination of both children and adults alike as most of us are intrigued and drawn to stars.
The beautifully, almost painted illustrations are draw to reader in and even offer emotions. The font
Angela Wallace
May 25, 2014 Angela Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Oliver Jeffers Book &

it blew. me. away!!!

Wow! He tells a story with such eloquence and seeming simplicity,
yet his stories have layers and depth and stunning illustrations!!!

"How to Catch a Star" Follows the journey of a boy who desperately
wants to have his own star, and the ending is just PERFECT...

Beautifully done! Highly recommended!
midnightfaerie
Oliver Jeffers is quickly becoming a household favorite. His unusual story lines and his compelling illustrations make him so much fun to read! Not a lot of words, but still memorable enough to keep my children, both the 5 yr old and the preschoolers, asking for him over and over again. Love this author and am looking forward to reading more of his work.
Becky
Apr 23, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
This special edition of the book was brought out to celebrate 10 years since it was first published. My children have grown up with Oliver Jeffers and have read most of his work so it was a delight to be sent this to review.

"Once there was a boy and the boy loved stars very much" so he sets off to catch one to keep with him as a friend. Jeffers quirky illustrations and simple texts tell the story in such a delightful way. As adults we know that everything he tries is bound to fail but from a chi
Charlotte
Jan 15, 2013 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'How to catch a star'is a story of a boy who wants to catch a star from the sky.
The boy attempts different ways to catch a star.
This book would be good for for EYFS or KS1 and can be seen as cross curriculur.
The book can be linked into PSHE, literacy and philosophy lessons and is a good starting point for discussions or shared writing tasks
Tricia
Jan 06, 2011 Tricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tricia by: Felix
Shelves: kids, 11-01-jan
While this was a pretty book, and a favourite of the boys' I was visiting with, I was underwhelmed by a disjointed story that didn't really have any cause and effect. The protagonist wants a star and tries various ways and ends up getting his wish, but there wasn't any rhyme or reason for this ending and no lessons learned.
Katie
This book is about a boy who is obsessed with stars. Throughout the book he tries many different ways to catch a star. He tries to wait for them to grow tired, climbs to the top of the tallest tree, and makes a rocket out of paper. None of his attempts work, and he finds out that it is impossible to catch a star. While sitting at the edge of the ocean, he sees the star reflecting on the water. He cannot grab it, but he ends up finding a starfish that looks like the stars he was trying to catch. ...more
Jonathan Andrew
Feb 22, 2016 Jonathan Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, a boy wants to catch a star. He waits all day to catch it, and when a star finally appears, he reaches out to grab it, but he can't reach it. He tries everything, but nothing seems to work. He even tries to reach for the reflection of the star in the water. Finally, a starfish washes up on the beach. The boy, thinking it is a star, happily takes it and is satisfied that he has finally caught his very own star. Once again, Oliver Jeffers has me ecstatic about the way he tells a stor ...more
Bisma Amir
Feb 16, 2016 Bisma Amir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, Oliver Jeffers has done it again! This story 'How to Catch a Star' is about a little boy who falls in love with stars so much that he wants to catch a star for himself and after making several attempts at catching the star in the evening he gives up. Once the sun rises he finds a starfish in the waves of the water and he believes that it fallen from the sky so he picks up the star and rescues it.
The story is so delicate and heartwarming, I'm cooing at the idea of falling in
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 1 1 Apr 26, 2015 06:14AM
  • Sky Color
  • Wave
  • The Boy Who Cried Ninja
  • Tiny Little Fly
Oliver Jeffers' work takes many forms. His distinctive paintings have been exhibited in galleries worldwide, and HarperCollins UK and Penguin USA publish his award-winning picture books, now translated into over 30 languages.

In 2007, Jeffers was the official illustrator for World Book Day, and in 2008 Lost and Found became Oliver's first book to made into animation by London-based Studio AKA.

Jeffe
More about Oliver Jeffers...

The Boy (4 books)
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)