Start by marking “Installing Linux on a Dead Badger” as Want to Read:
Installing Linux on a Dead Badger

Read eBook

Installing Linux on a Dead Badger

Installing Linux on a Dead Badger (and other Oddities) is a collection of Lucy Snyder's humorous essays, fiction and articles, some culled from places like "Strange Horizons" and "Spacesuits and Six-Guns" and some brand new. This collection of thirteen short stories, articles and essays from Lucy A. Snyder will appeal to any fan of zombies, aliens or installation manuals. ...more
Published October 15th 2007 by Creative Guy Publishing (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Installing Linux on a Dead Badger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Installing Linux on a Dead Badger

Mark
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm a little confused why there is so much time spent going on about OS compatibility for the install tools. I understand some newbies might want to put Linux on their dead badgers (or weasels, stoats, and ferrets) while running a GUI on Mac or Windows. But seems to me even most casual hobbyists should have a Linux distro on a desktop before jumping forward with cybermancy.

Other than that quibble, most of the stories in this slender book are pretty entertaining. The riffs on cyber-necromancy (wh
Peter Macinnis
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computing, humor
Incisive

As warm and comforting as a warm puppy when you sit on it. It also serves as protection against LPGs and tactical nukes.
Craig
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully funny and witty collection of short pieces. Not only does it explain how to do what the title promises, but also offers delightful observations such as anyone who plans to become a vampire should have all of their silver dental work removed first. It's a terrific zombie volume.
Kevin Hogan
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid tech humor. I preferred the business-style articles to the straight-up fiction, but ymmv. I love the term "zombloyee."
Jason
Feb 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Just... not my cup of tea. Not as clever as it thinks it is.
Nancy
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was expecting more from the hype. It had some cute concepts, but I got more of a laugh from the poem at the back of the book that she wrote in fourth grade.
Molokov
This is a short story collection - mostly "articles" about technical things you can do with re-animation of animal corpses, or the blending of the supernatural with technology. Amusing in parts, but not really laugh-out-loud funny. Light and entertaining for people with a technical bent.
Bryan
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure what I expected when I started this audio book. It was actually pretty funny as it went on. Short, sweet. I recommend it!
Andi Plouffe
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Funny at first, but started dragging on halfway through.
Linus
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really like the idea, i don't really like the deatils of how it is explored, but i super like the fact THAT it is explored.
Henrik Rostoft
Weird but quite funny
Laura Long
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Really funny even for those who are not computer wizards. I am amazed at the number of people who saw this book on my shelf and said "Hey! I read that too!"
Tom Huggins
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book, it's the king of tongue in cheek comedy
Timelord Iain
Great collection of short stories about necromantic computing and other topics. Wish there was more.
Dee
Aug 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm probably not enough of a tech nerd to truly grasp the book, but I just could not get into it. I was disappointed, but eh, what do you do, hm?
Sean O'Hara
If you've ever encountered one of those geeks who insists upon installing Linux on everything from his new iPhone to a BetaMax he found at a thrift store, this title should elicit a laugh. Unfortunately the actual book doesn't live up to the promise of the title.

The title "essay" explains how to do the actual installation with a combination of technology and eldritch magic. Conceptually, this is a great idea, but if you've ever read a how-to on installing Linux, you know how dreadfully boring th
GUD Magazine
In this book, Snyder succeeds in making zombies (both human and animal) wickedly funny--no matter how jaded you are by cries of 'Braaaaaaaaaaaains!!!' Either this book will make you laugh out loud at least once, or you should consider having yourself checked for signs of death.

Snyder's work first came to my attention when the cover story, 'Installing Linux on a Dead Badger' was submitted to SFF webzine Strange Horizons, where I was then an articles editor. I can't take much credit for discoverin
Al
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2011
Although each of the short stories or essays in "Installing Linux" stands alone, you’ll find a few common themes. Most touch on technology. Many have mythical creatures: zombies, fairies, trolls, and such. Some may have a dark side, but all are humorous, with many satirizing something or someone in the process.

The title story gives directions for installing the Linux operating system on a badger. When you’re done you’ll have a zombie badger that can be operated like a robot. Doesn’t that sound l
Clarence
Mar 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Clarence by: Lucy Snyder
I read the original, shorter version of the titular essay on Everything2, and found it as funny as the title suggests it would be. (Unless you read the title and figure that can't possibly be what it's actually about!) I'm not sure the fleshed-out piece adds great value, getting a bit redundant, but Linux geeks will still love it. The other eight or nine stories in the volume are more "storyish", with a nice thread of continuity in them (e.g., fake company names in the zombie-centric areas, whic ...more
DangerGirl
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
A quick, cute, fun compilation of 12 stories and essays, some of which have appeared in various publications. The first chapter reads as a technical manual, describing detailed instructions on (obviously) installing Linux on a dead badger, complete with troubleshooting tips and software recommendations.

The next few chapters are presented as current newspaper or magazine articles, each quite matter-of-factly reporting such topics as how todays successful businesses are effectively utilizing zomb
Drew Perron
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
While it starts from a clever premise - the literal combination of computer science and necromancy - the stories that riff on this premise are fairly shallow social satire, resting on obvious (and entirely accurate, to be fair) jokes about outsourcing and corporate greed.

...that is, until two-thirds of the way through. Then it suddenly becomes a series of strange urban fantasy stories, only the first one of which has anything to do with the previous concept (and takes it to a more interesting le
Adam O'Grady
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Snyder is a brilliant satirist of IT culture and this collection of parody technical manuals, media articles, and short stories will make you giggle till you kernel panic. The majority of the collected works form a loose narrative surrounding the titular piece about installing Linux on a dead badger. This is built upon as the fictional world discovers the ability to command other undead life and eventually otherworldly forces as automation initiatives and information technology conduits; which q ...more
Cathy Douglas
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of stories, sort of interrelated, if sometimes only by weirdness. It started and ended strong, but I thought some of the zombie stories in the middle kind of blurred together. Then again, I've kind of had it with zombies, especially the humorous kind. The format varies from story to story: a bunch of them are written as newspaper stories, but a few are just regular stories, and Installing Linux on a Dead Badger itself is written as instructions.

The last story in the book, In
Steve
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This was fun. the stories are written effectively and each does something interesting.

It's probably even better if you have an even stronger affection than I for zombies (particularly), fairies, evil spirits, vampires, and other supernatural elements of horror and fantasy, all used here with wry humor as tools of satire as much as SF/Fantasy.

Similarly, it's probably better for fans of such things who know a lot more about information technology. Also programming and corporate HR, to some extent
Shane
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a fun collection of horrific stories and i love that author lucy a. snyder found not only a different voice for each but a completely plausible reason for their being told. for the need to have them told. i smiled all the way through this book and would like more now. please?
Alex
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is utterly, utterly hilarious. Do not eat/drink or otherwise consume anything whilst reading this book, otherwise you'll find yourself choking on, or spraying it all over your prized possessions. It's a must read for every Linux geek out there, not to mention zombie lovers.
Edgar Perez
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
yesterday, I was chatting with a fellow reader on how lovely is to find fiction about your matter of expertise.

"Installing Linux on a Dead badger" is that, and is hilarious.

Really loved this short book

And if cybermancy is not invented yet, someone should
Shandra
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Humorous, geeky zombie stories! I was even more entertained than I had hoped when I ran across the title. Not what I initially expected, but very awesome nonetheless! Super-quick read, fyi - it's a short little book.
MontiLee Stormer
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: techies, badger lovers, zombiphiles
Recommended to MontiLee by: Everyone
Shelves: audio
Themes of IT, Technology, zombies, reanimation, and HR keep the stories moving and I laughed out loud more than once.

I'm giving it a Four out of Five, because while I absolutely loved the material. I wasn't thrilled with the narration.
Ray Charbonneau
May 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fluff, sf-fantasy
One good joke, played out about as long as tolerable.

• This Strange Way of Dying: Stories of Magic, Desire and the Fantastic
  • Alabaster: Wolves
  • Gleefully Macabre Tales
  • Wild and Wishful, Dark and Dreaming: The Worlds of Alethea Kontis
  • Kaptara, Vol. 1: Fear Not, Tiny Alien
  • Bad Blood (Tomes of The Dead #1.5)
  • What Fates Impose

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Lucy A. Snyder is a five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning writer and the author of the novels Spellbent, Shotgun Sorceress, and Switchblade Goddess. She also authored the nonfiction book Shooting Yourself in the Head For Fun and Profit: A Writer's Survival Guide and the story collections While the Black Stars Burn, Soft Apocalypses, Orchid Carousals, Sparks and Shadows, and Installing Linux on a Dea ...more