Start by marking “Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills” as Want to Read:
Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills

Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills

(One Minute Manager)

The second book in this record-breaking series, Putting the One Minute Manager to Work, turns the three secrets of One Minute Management into day-to-day skills and shows how they work in real-life situations.

By going straight to boardrooms and assembly lines for their examples, the authors put the One Minute concepts into working systems that directly affect a company's b
Published May 30th 2006 by William Morrow (first published 1984)

Start your review of Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
Debbie
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this as a follow-up to the 1st book in the series (because my library had both of them) and it was a great extension, laying out the steps for implementation. Love the way both of these books are written as allegories ... so readable.
Reid
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: leaders, managers
Good 'how to' book on management.

Some good ideas I gleaned from the book:

"People who produce good results feel good about themselves."

One Minute Praisings: be specific, tell the person exactly what they did right.

When to deliver a One Minute Reprimand vs work on One Minute Goalsetting: when a person is unwilling -- OMR, when a person is unable -- OMG.

ABCs of Management:

A = Activators (What a manager does before performance,ex. OMG)
B = Behavior (Performance: what someone says or does, ex. WT or t
Nahid
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the companion volume to The One Minute Manager – good “how to” books on management, specially people management. It shows how the One Minute management techniques can be employed on a day to day basis to improve performance, productivity and profits. Aside from the three secrets of one-minute manager, some of the ideas I gleaned from the book:

➡️ People who produce good results feel good about themselves – it’s more consistent with management style. (as opposed to People who feel good abo
Kim
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
I read this book only because I bought it as a package deal with The One Minute Manager. To summarize my review of The One Minute Manager, I thought the book might be helpful for anyone who has never managed people before, but it was really nothing life-changing for anyone who has managed others.

This book is considerably more useful to the experienced manager. I approached this book with a slightly closed mind; however, I actually plan to implement some of these strategies at my business. Overal
Sean
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Leaders
While certainly dated, Kenneth Blanchard's follow-up to One Minute Manger is decent. It still reads terribly, like a piece of fiction. But what it does do is add some pieces that were missing from the first book. Showing ways on how to implement the One Minute Managerial style is definitely needed, but this book could have done with quite a few more examples. I loved the PRICE method and especially the pinwheel. I believe I'll be using that in the future. Overall, this book and the last should h ...more
ARC
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suspect this book was written as a follow-up to the original book due to implementation issues faced in reality.

Basically, a typical performance management system was added on top of the basic principles of One Minute Management so that it can implemented practically in reality.

Nonetheless, as always with books in this series, it is a quick read and shows how this can be achieved in engaging story-telling format.
Jacob Weber
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Putting the One Minute Manager to work was not the type of book I thought I would read but I'm glad I did. It gave me a view through the window of management which is new to me and introduced me to several different ideals and tools to manage. I enjoyed how the author told the story as a manager experiencing first hand the benefits of one minute management and how it can better your business/personal life.
Alissa
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Jeffrey Fike
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
Great, easy to read story incorporating a ton of the better practical operations and administrative management concepts of the recent past. Building on The One Minute Manager, this book is an invaluable companion to the original, providing you subscribe to the theory or practice of One Minute Management.
Jamie from The Doer Co
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like this series and how the concepts interlock. PRICE is a great, simple framework for development - of other people or yourself. I wasn't sure how much value I would find in this book (or the 1st One Minute Manager) because I work by myself... But they are actually still very relevant even for my situation.
Jon Saxton
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like the simplicity of these management books and the parable style. I'm not sure this book is deserving of any literary awards, but the practical applications of the ABC's, One-Minute Goal-settings, praises and reprimands and the PRICE system are excellent and can be applied across many different fields. I'd highly recommend this to all new managers.
Beth Dufraine
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 5-stars
I still have this book (almost the same dust cover image), but the ISBN is: 0-688-02632-X
The image I have is stored on my flickr account at:
Mohammed Agbawi
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-on-shelve

I'm thankful for this book. Since it adds three new techniques (goal, admiring and blaming ) for one min. It was for me the same technique of my previous boss (god blessing him) for admiring and blaming only.

Sunny
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was kind of hokie. There were one or two small aha moments, but nothing to really write home about. The information is still valid, but presented with some very dated attitudes. And, occasionally, I felt like I was reading an after-school special. Especially that whole Hank story.
DANIEL GHANIME
If you read the One Minute manager and you need a user's manual, this book can give you what you need, on the other hand you can make a presentation out of it related to the ways used to apply the One minute Manager.
Feb 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
While I found the first book valuable, there’s no reason to buy or read this one. It reads as gimmicky, and could have been summarized in one paragraph as an addendum or afterthought since the original came out.
Nour ElDin
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I give it 4 stars as it to short, but really it deserves 5, I benifited a lot from this book and the previous The One Minute Manager, in the field of management it is very simple and to the point, really recommend it to any one in a management field.
Vikna
Apr 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy reading with a good lesson though it will take more than a minute to learn.
Jacob
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very necessary follow up to the one minute manager
Robin
Jan 02, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shouldn't be hard to read, right? So why haven't you? Put it to work for you.
Cathy
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it
OK...but overly wordy for the subject matter (like most of these types of books)
Ganesh
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's good for the people in management, the way of power and responsiblities delegation, the way to collect reports of job completed/ uncompleted are really learnable.
Dina
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a very useful book. It is a quick read and had some helpful tips.
Lynn
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Quick to read and useful.
Jim
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
A good book as are all of Blanchard's books.
José
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
A brief yet effective book that conveys common sense tips on how to get better results from your employees.
Jeff
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book in this series. I highly recommend all of them. I found the examples in this book very good and easy to apply.
Gina
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent follow up to the One Minute Manager and real skills that you can put to use right away at work. It's a fast read and well worth the time.
Maha
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
a great guide to mesuering performance effectively; )
Vanessa Williams
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I love the whole "One Minute Manger" series. If you are in a manager position, you have to read them.

• Yes or No: The Guide to Better Decisions
  • The One Minute Sales Person: The Quickest Way to Sell People on Yourself, Your Services, Products, or Ideas--at Work and in Life
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
  • No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline
  • How to Fight
  • Shanzhai: Deconstruction in Chinese (Untimely Meditations Book 8)
  • The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness
  • UML Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language
  • First Things First
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • The One Thing You Need to Know About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • The Enzyme Factor
  • The High Price of Materialism
  • The Present: The Secret to Enjoying Your Work and Life, Now!
  • Burn-In: A Novel of the Real Robotic Revolution
  • Synthetic Philosophy of Contemporary Mathematics
  • اللص والكلاب
  • Đến Starbucks Mua Cà Phê Cốc Lớn
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

One Minute Manager (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The One Minute Manager
  • The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams
  • The New One Minute Manager
  • Talking with the One Minute Manager
  • The One Minute Manager Balances Work and Life
  • The One Minute Manager Gets Fit
  • One Minute Manager Salesperson
  • One Minute Manager/Putting the One Minute Manager to Work/Boxed Set

News & Interviews

“People have trouble admitting there are problems, but everyone has an area he or she would like” 3 likes