Start by marking “Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief” as Want to Read:
Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief

Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief

Why have people from different cultures and eras formulated myths and stories with similar structures? What does this similarity tell us about the mind, morality, and structure of the world itself? Jordan Peterson offers a provocative new hypothesis that explores the connection between what modern neuropsychology tells us about the brain and what rituals, myths, and religi ...more
Published September 11th 2002 by Routledge (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Maps of Meaning, please sign up.
Steph Azevedo You can get the pdf version of the book free on his website.
Chase Hawkins Yes and no. I would begin watching his course on Maps of Meaning from 2017 that is on his YouTube channel. This book is difficult and may take a long…moreYes and no. I would begin watching his course on Maps of Meaning from 2017 that is on his YouTube channel. This book is difficult and may take a long time to read, but I am having a much easier time of it watching the lectures and reading the book alongside it and taking notes on each. It has been well worth the effort. Treat it like a class, read the material even if you don't get it, then go to class and see what the teacher has to say.(less)

Robert
Dec 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a huge disappointment. It abounds with dense, often impenetrable, verbiage. Basic points are made repeatedly, but subtle ones occasionally appear in the middle of an argument and are never referenced again. Even worse, this text makes at least one statement that is factually wrong. This mistake is not a small oversight, either. It is one that demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the topic being discussed at that part in the text, and throws into question the validity of ...more
David
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few weeks ago my three year old daughter and I went to the library to check out some books. Usually she heads right to the section with Curious George while I peruse the kids books, looking for new and fun stories. Lately she’s been randomly grabbing books off the shelf and declaring she wants them. Surprisingly they are usually quite good. I don’t recall if she grabbed it or if I did, but we ended up with Scaredy Squirrel.

We took it home and read it. It was hilarious. Poor Scaredy Squirrel is
Reginald
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief, Jordan Peterson attempts to explain the neuropsychological, phenomenological, and behavioral basis of mythological imagery while trying to encourage the reader towards the behavioral path of “heroic” exploration.

Peterson argues that the empirical worldview (representing the world as “a place of things” that can be objectively tested and validated by multiple observers) is not how human beings primarily experience reality or how they decide to behav
Scriptor Ignotus
When I first discovered Jordan Peterson last summer, some months before his embroilment in the political controversy at the University of Toronto which made him a folk hero among the liberal right, I was first struck by some of the similarities between his intellectual journey, as he describes it, and my own.

Like me, Peterson earned a bachelor’s degree in political science, but found himself unsatisfied with the exclusively materialist models of political behavior which seem to dominate the dis
Arthur Grunenwald
Inspired by the infamously-titled video 'PhD gives up trying to reason with SJWs', I went down the rabbit hole of Dr. Jordan Peterson's poignant and critical thoughts about modernity and modern society. Unlike many modern academics, Peterson deviates from the commonality of Marxist thinking in relation to postmodern interdisciplinary studies. Instead of subscribing to the belief that economics is the root of the modern human condition, he utilises psychology and behavioural biology to explain th ...more
Timothy Ball
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The truth seems painfully simple – so simple that it is a miracle, of sorts, that it can ever be forgotten. Love God, with all thy mind, and all thy acts, and all thy heart. This means, serve truth above all else, and treat your fellow man as if he were yourself – not with the pity that undermines his self-respect, and not with the justice that elevates yourself above him – but as a divinity, heavily burdened, who could yet seethe light.
It is said, it is more difficult to rule oneself, than a c
Olha Khilobok
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not an easy thing at all, which adds to the feeling of personal heroic fulfillment while reading the last page.

A profound work which takes understanding of basic tree-act structure to the unprecedented depth. An exquisite example of how beautiful and fruitful multidisciplinary approach is.

Two month of both suffering and savouring with a pencil in your hand. Was it worth it? Yes, it was indeed.
Michael Volpi
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For one, this book, and Dr. Peterson's overall project (including his lectures, talks based on this seminal text), has completely transformed--complicated, illuminated--my conception and understanding of the fundamental psychological and philosophical importance of narrative. I'm a better learner, teacher, analyst and critic because of this text, for which I'm truly grateful.
Devyn Kennedy
Pseudoscience and claptrap that tries its damndest to use big words to bolster itself. a whiny child is still a child no matters its vocabulary.
Tim
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a work of great depth and complexity made accessible by Peterson's direct and engaging writing. Peterson synthesizes an array of scientific findings and philosophical frameworks as he endeavors to explain - to himself as much as his readers, it seems - what it means to be the creatures we are; burdened with the despair of our limitations, yet liberated by our capacity for self-redemption.

To oversimplify, this book is an exploration of the religious and cultural myths of our species, and
Marie
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimers:

1) I don't think "Peterson is the evil misogynist, racist hero of the alt-right"
2) I don't think he's the ally of Western civilization, rationality and Christendom, either.
3) There are a few common sensical things that he has said (in regards to gender theory), which I don't rule out.
4) I'm Catholic, so Catholic things will ensue.

He's using an outdated ahistorical, unscientific Jung / Campbell / Eliade / Neumann base (read Wolfgang Smith's Cosmos and Trascendence to see how far it
Liam
This changed my way of thinking about fundamental notions. Towards the end it becomes harder to see exactly what he's getting at, and as the book progresses, the diagrams become more and more speculative, but for the first half at least it had a revelation on every page. Also, Peterson mentioned one of my favourite films, "Crumb" in a footnote.
Dan Graser
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having listened to a great deal of Peterson's lectures and having enjoyed his recent mass-market book "12 Rules for Life," I decided to tackle this huge tome on the formulation of myths and religions as a by-product of several neurological preconditions in addition to psychological understandings of the need to create meaning. Additionally, while I have enjoyed (though not always agreed) with his very direct, clearly-expressed views on a number of issues, it is in his discussions of religion in ...more
Joy
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
One of the finest books on philosophy, human psyche and human interactions with nature. Lays down the importance of archetypal hero and responsibilities that entails on taking upon that role.
It addresses these questions in details
1> Even in the face of suffering and misery, why doing the best you can to lessen it makes sense.
2> How man perceives/interacts with nature and its objects.
3> Who is an archetypal hero?
4> What traits makes one an archetypal hero.
5> What happens when the s
Mats Winther
May 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jordan B. Peterson's effort to engage the madness of our era is laudable. What's worse, his views represent a throwback to Hegelian philosophy. He often mentions psychologist Carl Jung. However, his book Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief (1999) has more to do with Hegel than Jung. Although it contains much of value, his views are mostly commonsensical. It is a long and meandering book, where he often returns to the same argument. His theory revolves around the societal and cultural ide ...more
Eric Sexton
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book but I still need time to sit down and try to organize my thoughts about it. So this is more or a less my impressions immediately upon finishing it. But it says something about the depth and importance of what Peterson has to say that I couldn't possibly feel confident giving a proper review without sitting down and gathering my thoughts. Anyway, here goes nothing.

Peterson is one of the only living intellectuals that routinely blows my mind. Peterson couches really stran
James
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable book, a key text in its field. Peterson shows that the myths of Christian and other cultures are maps of the ways in which human beings deal with anomaly, be it to shape a renewed culture and save it from chaos, or let it stagnate into decadence or totalitarianism. He is very clear on the psychological value of the Christ mythos, dazzlingly interprets from a psychological point of view key passages from the Bible and other texts, and shows how right Jung was to take an interest in A ...more
Dany Vicente
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best content that I experienced.
In Life we have so many doubts about everything. What should I belief this and not that. What is the purpose of my existence? In this book we travel from the most ancient archetypes to the present symbols and we found that all humanity existence was nail in the art. And it is in that art that we can find the roots of our ethics, of our beliefs, of our way of being.
Colin Ellard
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant and frustrating. This book is incredibly ambitious and fascinating in parts but it needed a fierce edit. I found myself planing through pages of redundancy and then having my breath sucked out by a beautiful phrase capturing a riveting idea. This book took a lot of effort but for me it was worth it.
Soren Kerk
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-favs
Could we build a shelf on top of the top shelf? This book goes there.
I remain astounded that he could write this book when he was only about 30.
A brilliant man, an amazing mind, a challenge, a delight.
Brent McCulley
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little long, but only insofar as Peterson has a tendency to repeat himself even if it is to prove a point tangentially.

Notwithstanding that minor criticism, this work obviously is Peterson's magnum opus, and for good reason. Peterson does a really good job utilizing Nietzsche, Jung, Dostoevsky, and others to put forth his thesis of archetypal myth in the historical development of mankind.

If you are interested in the history of philosophy, ancient Near East mythology, historiography, or cross-c
Andrei Balici
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The book tackles some very problematical artefacts, out of which the most important, in my opinion, is the generation of the inner conflict resulted as a by-product of the explicit verbalisation of our belief systems. In identifying the root cause to this issue, Peterson embarks on a quest that spans over a large body of human knowledge, including psychology, philosophy and religious phenomenology, particularly emphasizing the myth and its archetypal characters as patterns of the human behaviour ...more
Guillermo Gruschka
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maps of Meaning is one of the best books I have ever read. There were parts where I could only read a single page, and then had to stop for a day and reflect on what I had just read.

Jordan is excellent at articulating abstract concepts in a way that more than making sense they just "resonate" with your soul, to put it some way. I believe it is an experience different to normal understanding of facts and agreeing to them, its more like listening to a tuned harmony that is just "true".

I'd recomme
Paul
I thought early Pererson might be an improvement over his recent book, but no. Dorm-room philosophizing, lots of shallow self-help “arguments” using Jung, Campbell, and Nietzsche, and obtuse, factually incorrect statements across every topic he covers.
Murray Brown
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Peterson has some quite profound insights into how our cultural, moral, religious and spiritual beliefs evolved as projections of intrapsychic phenomena reflected in mythological archetypes that continue to shape our behaviour and motivate our search for meaning.
Ian
Mar 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Self-help masquerading as deep metaphysical insight. Uses vague conceptual terminology to mask obvious platitudes and a weak framework for 'making meaning.'
Sam Torode
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very thick reading (unnecessarily so, perhaps), but I enjoyed it. Similar theme to Joseph Campbell.
Joseph
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those books you can come back to and learn something new. Lots to chew on and digest.
John Karrys
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This work brought maturity to my insights and clarity to the psychopathic behaviours I continue to identify as they pollute our workplaces.
Leo Robertson
Have been listening to the audiobook on the way to work now for a number of weeks—and seems like a waste of time to continue. When I did glean any meaning from whatever he was talking about, I'd already heard him say it in a lecture in a far more simple way.

Plus for all the knowledge they supposedly contain, I hate myths! It took me a while to figure this out because you'd think if you were interested in stories that you wouldn't be allowed to hate them.

Oh, the snake represents chaos and the—
*sn
  • Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault
  • Affective Neuroscience: The Foundations of Human and Animal Emotions
  • Real-Time Relationships: The Logic of Love
  • The Neuropsychology of Anxiety: An Enquiry Into the Functions of the Septo-Hippocampal System
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness
  • Blackfoot Physics: A Journey into the Native American Worldview
  • Jung to Live by
  • The Rational Male - Positive Masculinity
  • A History of Religious Ideas, Volume 3: From Muhammad to the Age of Reforms
  • Happiness Is a Serious Problem: A Human Nature Repair Manual
  • The Soul of the World
  • Inside Jokes: Using Humor to Reverse-Engineer the Mind
  • Who's Afraid of Relativism?: Community, Contingency, and Creaturehood (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • The Tactical Guide to Women: How Men Can Manage Risk in Dating and Marriage
  • DNA: The Story of the Genetic Revolution
  • Aion (Collected Works 9ii)
  • The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World
  • The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power
Jordan B. Peterson is a Canadian clinical psychologist, self-help writer, cultural critic, and professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. His main areas of study are in abnormal, social, and personality psychology, with a particular interest in the psychology of religious and ideological belief, and the assessment and improvement of personality and performance.

Peterson grew up in Fairvi
“Of course, my socialist colleagues and I weren’t out to hurt anyone – quite the reverse. We were out to improve things – but we were going to start with other people. I came to see the temptation in this logic, the obvious flaw, the danger – but could also see that it did not exclusively characterize socialism. Anyone who was out to change the world by changing others was to be regarded with suspicion. The temptations of such a position were too great to be resisted.” 51 likes
“Rejection of the unknown is tantamount to “identification with the devil,” the mythological counterpart and eternal adversary of the world-creating exploratory hero. Such rejection and identification is a consequence of Luciferian pride, which states: all that I know is all that is necessary to know. This pride is totalitarian assumption of omniscience – is adoption of “God’s place” by “reason” – is something that inevitably generates a state of personal and social being indistinguishable from hell. This hell develops because creative exploration – impossible, without (humble) acknowledgment of the unknown – constitutes the process that constructs and maintains the protective adaptive structure that gives life much of its acceptable meaning” 34 likes