Start by marking “Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets” as Want to Read:
Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets

Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets

This book is for the knowledgeable C programmer, this is a second book that gives the C programmers advanced tips and tricks. This book will help the C programmer reach new heights as a professional. Organized to make it easy for the reader to scan to sections that are relevant to their immediate needs.
Published June 24th 1994 by Pearson

To ask other readers questions about Expert C Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expert C Programming

Start your review of Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets
Barry
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
When you've read K&R and start to ask /why/ C is written the way it is, it's time to graduate to _Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets_. As much as K&R is the touchstone for all things C, there comes a point fairly soon in your career where you won't need to refer to it any longer. C in indeed a small language, and it's possible to keep all of it in your head.

Van Der Linden has created a collection of things that you won't necessarily need to know until /after/ you've learned C. What's
Archit Taneja
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
The funniest tech book I've read until now. I was all aaargc aaarghv when it got over.
Vasil Kolev
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Fun and nice book, with some interesting puzzles, but some parts are very outdated. It could definitely use an update, especially the comparison with C++, the integration of lint in all compilers, etc.
Josh Davis
This was a great little refresher on C. I first learned C by going through the classic K&R book back in high school. As Expert C Programming is quick to point out, C has changed quite a bit from then.

As far as information goes, it covered some really great topics and explained things really well. I definitely feel that I have a better understanding not only of the C language, but of how the C code actually translates into assembly/machine code, which is ultimately what inspires some of how C
Elias Daler
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
What a wonderful book!

What I liked the most about it is not that it shows tricky things in C, but it's also full of interesting stories, fun jokes and explanations about why some things in C the way they are.

I'd recommend to read it to everyone, even those who don't plan to write in C, it's just interesting on its own. :)
Varad Deshmukh
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It requires skill to write a book on a programming language that a reader can use as something more than a manual. Yes, manuals are important, and an ardent programmer treats them with reverence. But they are often dull and daunting to a novice in the field, or to a sufficiently experienced programmer who wants to connect with a programming language, but not necessarily by digesting through a prosaic format of instruction.

Peter van der Linden successfully manages to circumvent the problem. A C
David
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Provides a lot of good foundation for writing good systems code, especially in C. As usual, some of the information is dated, and I can't say I agree with all of the suggestions, but it covers a lot of useful ground. I had mostly absorbed much of this information already just from the culture at Sun (and the book is a bit Unix/Sun-centric).
Brennan Moore
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"deep c secrets" is the sub-title -- amazing! -- nuf said.
Alexei
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK book for the time

Read it for the history of C, the 90s approach to understanding C++ (which led directly to Java) and the time capsule of the period just before Sun engineers hubris started to catch up with them.
Daniel Volpato
Let's say the deep secrets containing in this book were rotten and gotten corrupted by time. There is too much old, deprecated, anachronistic information, so reading it isn't worth the time you may spent trying to find information that is still relevant.
Rutvik Patel
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even if you are not using C language, read it at least for FUN!
Denis
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
A bit outdated but a good history lesson.
Dana Robinson
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book. It's very old, but still useful and the historical digressions are interesting if you are of a certain age. Highly recommended to anyone stuck coding in C.
Nvid
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Legen (wait for it until you finish the book) dary
Steven Raspudic
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Outdated collection of war stories from sometime in the late 80's / early 90's. Worth it more as a historical snapshot in time, rather than as a technical resource.
Daniel
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
Wow, what an amazing book!

Truth to be told, I read the last 100 pages today and maybe I am more excited than what I should be.

Amazing "deep secrets" of the C programming language, with incredible background stories related to the topics explained in each chapter. Very useful exercises that lead you to think and learn what has been explained.

Lot of low-level programming and also technical stuff (related to hardware) that might get you to become an expert C programmer and let you think and
Marshall
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I vote for this book to be renamed Quirky Differences Between Arrays and Pointers, and Other Fun Stuff Only Tangentially Related To C. That's basically all this book is. I was expecting expert-level, clever techniques for writing safer, cleaner C code, and instead I got way more than I needed to know about arrays and pointers, then a bunch of fluff stuff. Though I admit, the fluff stuff was quite fun. My favorite was the very end of the book, How to make Oobleck.
Cristian
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Good book, explains several details about the language, many times introducing the historical background behind them, and keeping it fun with stories and anecdotes related to the chapter's subject.
It has its years though and is outdated in some respects, an example is the blind insistence in dynamically linked code and how you should not statically link.
Nick Black
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Eh, more valuable for the fun sidebars offering insight into Sun development processes than any other content -- the comp.lang.c FAQ covers most of what van der Linden covers here. I borrowed this from a coworker back in my short stint as a systems programmer for CNN, while I was a sophomore, and never owned it.
Vince
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book fills a serious gap in computer programming books: expert level texts. This is not a book to teach you C. This is a book for experienced C programmers who want to kick it up a few notches. No, I don't think I ever directly used the things I learned from this book in any development project, but I got a deeper understanding and appreciation of the language. Take that, K&R!
e
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book on C and a good companion to the book The C Programming Language. It goes into more subtleties and arcana of the language and full of interesting stories, lore, and jokes about the language.

If you like C, you'll like this book.
Michael Bond
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Indeed it is a good second book on C. The coverage of pointers and arrays was excellent. I cannot blame the book for being outdated a couple of decades later; I just read quickly through those sections. I would not use the chapter on C++ to actually learn it.
Steve
Aug 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Essential reading from one of the authors of the Sun ProC compiler. It also walks you through writing a simple BASIC interpreter. What I mostly remember is gaining a rock-solid knowledge of how to read and write complex C declarations.
Prats
May 29, 2010 added it
You will learn a lot about better programing styles. You would also be able to relate many of the OS related concepts ans how they are used. You would get to learn how memory management is done efficiently.
Liuyang Li
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Many fun C detailed that I enjoyed.
Studentgu
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
contents are broad, and language is humor.
overview of c++ and introduction to job interview are both good.
Ankit Kumar
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Expert will also find Something out of it that would amaze them.
Krish
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Fringes of C with a touch of humor = Win.
Cameron Sung
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on the language of "C". A must-have for expert programmers and advanced coders around the world.
Ms
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical-read
A must read for a C lover

• The C Programming Language
  • 21st Century C: C Tips from the New School
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and Unix System Programming Handbook
  • Making Embedded Systems: Design Patterns for Great Software
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution
  • Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs
  • Code
  • ANSI Common Lisp
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Data Structures and Algorithms Made Easy
  • Elements of Programming Interviews: The Insiders' Guide C++
  • Let Us C
  • Rise and Kill First: The Secret History of Israel's Targeted Assassinations
  • The Go Programming Language

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Never forget that when you point the finger at someone, three of your own fingers are pointing back at you...” 0 likes
“The keyword const doesn’t turn a variable into a constant! A symbol with the const qualifier merely means that the symbol cannot be used for assignment. This makes the value read-only through that symbol ; it does not prevent the value from being modified through some other means internal (or even external) to the program.” 0 likes