Start by marking “First World Problems (Solving For Ex #2)” as Want to Read:
First World Problems (Solving For Ex #2)

First World Problems

(Solving For Ex #2)

Sofia Cole has always been able to get anything she wants through begging, flirting, and shameless manipulation of everyone around her.

Sofia doesn't think that Dad sending her on a gap service year to Guyana to address how "spoiled" she is will change any of that.

Sofia just might be proven wrong.

(A companion novel to SOLVING FOR EX (February 2014,) FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS i
Published September 2nd 2014 (first published July 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about First World Problems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First World Problems

Shallee McArthur
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite contemps I think I've ever read. Funny, sincere, heartfelt...I loved it. I have NO idea how I loved such a potentially unlikeable character right from the beginning. And the boy...ah, Callum. I have a new book boyfriend. Seriously, as someone who has volunteered overseas, this book really hit a lot of the issues I came to face. I loved learning about the country-- the only thing I felt was missing was that I wanted more! More of the people who lived there, more of the ...more
Erin Arkin
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
First World Problems by Leigh Ann Kopans was one of my favorite reads this month. I loved how Kopans took this girl (Sophia) and put her in a situation that was completely foreign to her but somehow she survives and ends up making an impact. Sophia is a character in Kopans’ book Solving for Ex which meant I was going in with feelings about her - I don’t think that necessarily hurt anything but it absolutely made it more difficult for Sophia to win me over.

Sophia is very obviously spoiled. When h
Lisa

I'd like someone to tell me where the fuck this village named 'Dabu' is located in Guyana. Please. Because in all my years I have never heard of it. And whether this author bothered to do any kind of research about Guyana before she wrote about "First World Problems"...

Faye, la Patata
Aug 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
NEED
Jessica S
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Originally posted at Fly to Fiction.

Disclaimer: I received an eARC from the author. This did not affect my thoughts in any way, nor am I being compensated for this review.

GUYYYSSSSS. You have NO idea how excited I was to finally be able to read this lovely book! I've been eagerly awaiting this book since I finished Solving for Ex, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I even wrote a song inspired by the book! Anyway, I'm happy to say First World Problems lived up to my expectations.

Of course, I must
Rachel Marie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You guys know how much I loved Solving for Ex, so of course when I heard she was writing a companion about Sofia getting what was coming to her, I had to have it. And it did not disappoint.

This was interesting to begin with, because if you've read Solving for Ex, you already have an opinion of Sofia. And let's face it, it's not a pretty one. Which means its going to take a lot more for her to win you over, to prove that she's changed. I will say, I admire that Sofia knows what she is and doesn't
Kim
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads .

Leigh Ann Kopans hit my radar with Solving for Ex. It was such a great YA contemporary. I loved the characters (except the ones you aren't supposed to love) and all the little nerdy bits in it made my geek heart happy. When I learned she was writing "mean girl" Sofia's book as a companion novel, I jumped at the chance to read it. Oh my word. I loved this book so hard. I didn't think I would wind up a Sofia fan, but I was so very wrong.

After spoi
nick
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

First World Problems was a positively delightful novel that is sure to induce some goofy grins and some swoony sighs from readers. It's cute and fluffy, but it also sends a brilliant message to teenagers and adults alike.

There is something incredibly satisfying about reading a book that shows the growth and journey of a spoiled brat into a mature young woman. I'm always on the look-out for books that tackle that, so it was obvious that I was going to pick up First World Problems. Additionally, I
Michelle
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I think it will be good for you, Sofia, to see how most of the world lives. To understand exactly how privileged your situation is.

On a normal day this suggestion would probably not sound so bad, after all you would get to travel and see how others live. But if you had just maxed out your credit card throwing yourself a party, spending half a million dollars, these words are probably the very last things you wanted to hear. Unfortunately for Sofia, these words don't mean a travelling holiday, t
Pili
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this one! Perfect comfort read that made me feel happier about things and this awful world sometimes!

I'm not the biggest contemporary fan, as I keep saying over and over, but I keep finding lil gems here and there that make me realize I might not love the genre, but I need to keep giving it a try.

First World Problems is a companion novel to Solving For Ex, one of my fave contemporaries of the year, so when I got the chance to get an ARC for this one sent by the author (thanks LeighAnn!)
Justin
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review is going to be slightly shorter than normal, just because I have been incredibly busy lately. I meant to have this review up a few days ago, but a lot of things keep getting in the way. With that out of the way, lets start talking about First World Problems. I absolutely loved this book. I was able to read it quite quickly, even with everything I have going on, which is always a huge plus. I don’t like books that seem to be drawn out when I am busy with a lot of other things.

Leigh An
K.
2.5 stars. There were things I liked about this a lot, and things I didn't like. They combine to a decidedly middle of the road rating.

What I liked:
- The writing. It's compelling and fun and generally very readable.
- The relationship between Sofia and Callum. It's sweet and slow burning and they-hate-each-other-but-will-totally-end-up-together-y.
- The setting. It's rare enough to find young adult novels set in South America, but this is definitely the first novel I've ever come across that's
Emily
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Character development. Those are the words I think of as I finish this book. Sofia amazed me. I was so afraid she was going to be a spoiled brat the entire book, but she changed. She completely changed and it was so wonderful and surprising to see.

Sofia, at first, was a "princess." She got everything she wanted.. until her dad became tired of the way she acted. She had spent a ridiculous amount of money on a birthday party and he decided that she needed to learn a lesson-- so he sent her to Gu
Sjcapanna
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
We first met this book's main character, the self-centered and spoiled mean girl Sofia, when she was the villain in Kopans' previous novel, Solving for Ex. Now we're getting the story from Sofia's perspective. And perspective is exactly what Sofia's father expects her to gain when he ships her away to do service work in Guyana for a year as a punishment for taking her spoiled privilege a little too far.

This premise had very strong potential to completely fall flat, descending into a predictable
Trisha Leigh
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
She did it again. it's after 3am in Munich but I just had to finish. HAD TO. Put this one on your list!!

Actual review to come.
You think there's no way you'll ever like Sofia Cole...but then you see where she's living. What she's facing. Where she comes from and the real struggle to reconcile fantasy with reality.

And if you don't like her, you at least understand her.

You think sexy, thoughtful, but more than a little rigid Callum will never learn to see the good in Sofia. The potential people h
Darci Cole
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kopans does it again.

For her NA debut, LAK has written a tight, powerful, moving story about a manipulative rich girl who learns there are more important things than comfort. The story is well-structured, well-written, and well-researched. The characters are diverse and distinctive. The world is described extremely -- and sometimes disgustingly -- well. I loved seeing how over time, Sophia's priorities began to shift. We see her start to really care, and then she'll remind herself of her initial
Jamie
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LeighAnn Kopans writes amazing romances, but this one might just be my favorite. Following Sofia as she transforms from a spoiled rich girl into something so much more is an amazing journey. This story is filled with with well rounded characters, an engaging plot, and a swoony love story. Even better, Sofia becomes someone to care about and root for, even after the rocky start we have with her. LeighAnn is a genius at creating unlikeable characters and making them likeable!

The setting of Guyana
Jewelz
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was utterly and completely fantabulous. I was up until at least one a.m. swooning. And every time I turned the page to a new chapter I was PRAYING it wasn't the last. Who knew I could love Sofia so much? And who knew I would be at the edge of my seat in anticipation for her to get her own shot at love?

Ugh. This book, people. THIS BOOK made me LITERALLY squeal. Out loud. I'm just happy I was at home. And can I just say A GUY WITH A NEW ZEALAND ACCENT? SAH-WOON. This book is gonna make y
Marlana
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. As an avid reader of LeighAnn's books, I can definitely say this is a favorite. Solving for Ex wasn't my absolute favorite, but this book took Sofia, a normally bitchy rich-girl wannabe and turned her into the kind of girl everyone wants their daughters to be. I could feel her emotions, I was angry when she was angry, upset when she was upset, and swooning when she was swooning. LeighAnn does an incredible job of making you feel the character's emotions and painting a beautifu ...more
KrininaLynn
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
LeighAnn does a fantastic job of taking a completely unlikable character and making you care about and root for her. Sofia is one of those people I've always been grateful I haven't had to associate with. She's cold, manipulative, and spoiled. But as the book progresses, she grows up--literally and figuratively. She becomes someone I could see myself friends with.
Also, I love that the book was set in an actual country. I found myself asking if I could live and work in the conditions Sofia did. T
Danielle
2.5

Well I yelled and screamed and railed. The author overdid trying to make the mean girl bully sympathetic, so I was too on her side while everyone was taking shots at her. Callum is still a jizzrag. But the gardening/beauty stuff was actually good. The end was a little White Savior-y, especially with the revelation of a 5m buyout at NINETEEN. Christ. But I stopped hating the book around the halfway mark, so it gets a half-score.
Nikki Godwin
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LeighAnn Kopans does it again! In this Solving For Ex companion novel, Sofia Cole's transformation and journey to redemption shows that her beauty isn't just skin deep. First World Problems has it all - the swoon-worthy boy, self discovery, and something to hit every emotion. This is definitely Kopans' best book yet!
Diana
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-series
I did not think I would like this book as I did not like Sofia in the first book. I was surprised to see how easily the author changed my opinion of Sofia and I was actually cheering for her. This was a fun read. I hope the author writes others in this series as I would love to see how some of the others developed.
Jenna Lehne
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dear. God.

What a fantastic story. I loved everything about it. The changes in Sophia had me all weepy by the end.

The slow, simmering romance between her and Callum was delicious.

The ending was perfect. Ugh. my heart is still smiling.

Pure awesomeness.
Leann
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, for-review, kindle
Such a great book! Review coming soon...
Katie
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
this was so good!! Sophia really grew on me. I loved watching her change but also stay true to herself. It was a realistic change that didn't happen over night. Plus Callum was just perfect.
Valerie Cole
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG I loved every first world second of this one!

LAK--you better keep writing contemps!
Julie

May 27, 2017
Ashley Calcutta-hasting
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Second Position (District Ballet Company #1)
  • Gypsy (The Cavy Files, #1)
  • Ultraviolet Catastrophe
  • Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista
  • Harry and the Hot Lava (Xist Children's Books)
  • Not Quite Cold (Lowcountry Mysteries, #2)
  • Josie Griffin is Not a Vampire
  • Madly, Deeply
  • Suffocate (The Breathless, #1)
  • Journey to the Fringe (Stone Mage Wars #1)
  • Paris Cravings (Paris & Pastry, #1)
  • Eyre House
  • Silevethiel (The Vaelinel Trilogy, #1)
  • Eventide (Tales of the Dragon's Bard, #1)
  • On the Road to Find Out
  • Damsel Distressed
  • The Right and the Real
Raised on comic books and classic novels, Leigh Ann developed an early love of science fiction and literature. As an adult, she rediscovered her love for not only reading, but also writing the types of fiction that enchanted her as a teen. Her debut novel, ONE, is about a girl with only half a superpower, the boy who makes her fly, and her struggle to make herself whole.

Leigh Ann, her husband, and