Start by marking “Heroes Are My Weakness” as Want to Read:
Heroes Are My Weakness

Heroes Are My Weakness

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  13,409 ratings  ·  1,755 reviews
The dead of winter.

An isolated island off the coast of Maine.

A man.

A woman.

A sinister house looming over the sea ...

He's a reclusive writer whose macabre imagination creates chilling horror novels. She's a down-on-her-luck actress reduced to staging kids' puppet shows. He knows a dozen ways to kill with his bare hands. She knows a dozen ways to kill with laughs.

But she's n
Published August 26th 2014 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Heroes Are My Weakness, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kamesa Carter I'm listening to it on CD's and I also agree about it being gloomy. Theo sounds like a jerk, the island sounds creepy, sad, and judgy, and I'm on…moreI'm listening to it on CD's and I also agree about it being gloomy. Theo sounds like a jerk, the island sounds creepy, sad, and judgy, and I'm on chapter 7. I'm also wondering when will things pick up. (less)

·  13,409 ratings  ·  1,755 reviews

~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
4.5 Stars

First third of the book: Almost DNf'd it several times

Second third of the book: 4 stars

Last third of the book: 5+ stars

Jill
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

He'd been a hero, and heroes were her weakness...

Stick with this. The first quarter to a third of this novel is slow-going, even a little...boring *winces*...but the last half and epilogue are a joy, and pure SEP.

Annie Hewitt, puppeteer, out-of-a-job and in financial straits, has nowhere else to go but back to the cottage on the isolated and bleak island off the Maine coast where she spent time as a teenager. There she hopes to locate the legacy left to her by her dying mother.

Theo Harp, autho
Mo
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love SEP. All of her books that I have read have been solid 4 or 5 stars for me. So why did I put this on the long finger .... One reason, the title - I don't like it. Another reason - some friends reviewed it and were not very complimentary about it. Then I see my lovely friend, Karen started it and was enjoying it so I decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot - God those puns are dreadful

The dead of winter.

An isolated island off the coast of Maine.

A man.

A woman.

A sinister house loomin
Geri Reads
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Definitely different, and I still can't believe I'm rating SEP book a three. I almost DNF'd twice. Thank God I continued because it got better towards the end but just barely though. :(

I can't wait to read this book by one of my favorite romance author ever!!

ARC provided by William Morrow in exchange for an honest review.
Amanda
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 'Lobster town' stars

Going in, I was feeling a little reserve and my expectation was lower due to not too glowing reviews from my GR friends. So color me surprised that I ended up enjoying it very much after reading past the initially awkwardness with the heroine.

As per SEP signature, Heroes Are My Weakness got the witty humor, great supporting cast, the lovely backdrop, the brooding hero and a hint of mystery to keep me hooked.

I love the lovely description and the simple life they have in M
Jess
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: C-

We open with Annie, who is trying to find her “legacy” at her late mother’s home on Peregrine Island. She doesn’t expect to run into Theo Harp, a man who as a young boy made Annie’s life a living hell and almost killed her. He now writes grisly horror novels (which fits his personality according to Annie) and he’s staying at the Harp House near the cottage of Annie’s mother. Theo’s twin sister, Regan, had been a close friend of Annie’s grow
Gavin
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This is the second romance book I've read by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and I'm happy to say I enjoyed it every bit as much as the first one. Ain't She Sweet?, in case you were wondering! I'm not typically a fan of contemporary romances but this one really worked for me as I liked the characters, the romance, the humor in the story, and even the tiny bit of drama and mystery we got in the story. While this did have a few dark and touching moments it was mostly a soft romance story with some comedy ...more
Duchess Nicole
Oh...it was okay. Far, far from SEP's best. It took about half of the book for me to even get a inkling about the hero. The heroine is a bit obsessed with her puppets...they talk to her and give her advice. I know they are meant to be her sort of conscience or something, but I just found them annoying. The story with the little girl and the goings-on in that arena really brought the story up to a more interesting place, but it was too little too late for me to really love it. Entertaining, if fo ...more
KatLynne
The gothic feel at the beginning makes this different from SEP's prior reads. As the heroine, Annie returns to the isolated, small island off the coast of Maine, she's bombarded by painful memories. At first, I was wary as Annie worked out her problems through brief conversations with her puppets. However, as the story unfolds, they fit perfectly.

Of course, the root of her most painful encounters is the hero, Theo Harp. His psychotic behavior when they were teenagers was another cause of concern
Pixelfish
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
First up, let's get the compliments out of the way. I started reading this last night shortly before one in the morning with the intention of putting it down AND OF COURSE I KNEW BETTER. Didn't stop me from breezing through the entire thing and going to bed just shy of five o'clock. SEP's forte is precisely this sort of over-the-top romance with reluctant lovers, sordid pasts, personal wounds, and dramatic settings. She runs at this novel full-tilt, and there's a lot to enjoy if you dig contempo ...more
Darcy
I think I would have liked this one better had the dummies/puppets not been in it. I found the start of the book creepy with Annie using the puppets voices to talk to herself. It seemed like she did it all the time, to the point that I was about to give up on the book. It did back off, so I kept reading. Later in the book I did like the role that the puppets played, loved how Theo took some liberties with the puppets and created some fun scenes for Annie to come home to.

I had a hard time buying
♥Sharon♥
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing

And I sure did love Heroes are my Weakness. Well done Ms. Philips. You are the shining star on the top of my favorite authors tree.

I know what you are thinking. Another five star book. How can that be? Quite honestly I just love the way she writes. Her stories give me that “easy like a Sunday morning” feeling. Her creativity and wit allows for her magic to happen which only makes it is easy to fall in love with her characters and let your mind drift away with the story.

While there were similar S
Eilonwy
After taking care of her dying mother, Annie Hewitt is at the end of her resources. She has no steady job, no place to live, and no immediate way to pay off a mountain of debts. But there is one place she and her puppets can go -- a cottage on an island off of Maine that her mother won in a divorce. The cottage is nice in the summer, but not so great when Annie arrives there in February. Just to make sure she’s truly miserable, her former stepbrother, Theo, with whom she had a very disturbing br
Yodamom
Audiobook-
1.7 stars-I should have quit- this was not my kind of book at all
Quick and dirty- a down on her luck ventriloquist returns to her recently passed mother's island cottage to recover from many woes where she runs into and old flame, a mute child and an island of misfit grannies. She talks to her dolls, acts weird, avoids honest conversations, bends over backwards to keep everyone OK, sleeps with someone she shouldn't and gets shot at.

I do not like talking dolls, and dolls that people con
Karen
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS

Another fiver! Believe it or not… I’m actually trying to find fault in Susan Elizabeth Phillip’s books. It seems I can’t give her less than 5 stars. This book had some mixed reviews, so I thought maybe this one will bring me back to reality. Nope. I was wrong.

Although this was a much different storyline, almost reminiscent of the old gothic romances of du Maurier and Brontë. SEP takes us to a desolate and rugged island off the coast of Maine during the dead of winter. Where our heroine,
Michelle
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips!!!! More Gothic-y than I ever remember SEP ever being, the mystery fueling this romance had me turning the pages until my contacts were stuck to my dry eyeballs. And man, the love scenes were so well done! I often scan or entirely skip love scenes in other romances, but I got wrist-tingles from this passion,as per usual. Worth waiting for; please keep them coming Ms Phillips!!
A. Bookzilla.
Jan 11, 2014 marked it as to-read
The dead of winter,
An isolated island off the coast of Maine,
A man,
A woman,
A sinister house looming over the sea.
It’s going to be a long, hot winter.

I'll take it!
Ian
Down on her luck, but with the promise of a legacy from her now deceased mother, Annie travels to a remote Island off the coast of Maine. There she must stay in a rustic cabin that sits in the shadow of an ominous gothic mansion. With some serious debts she needs to find the thing her mother left her but it seems someone on the island has it in for her...and the criminal is escalating.

Theo tried to kill Annie when they were kids and now that they are grown he doesn't seem any less cruel. What h
Keri
This book started out with me questioning who wrote this book? Because it sure didn't have SEP's signature humor that I was used to. To me it was like Suzanne Forester and Sandra Brown got together and cowrote the book. I had a hard time connecting with the heroine and hero and my stars were going to reflect that. But as I stayed with the book SEP's magic started to happen and the book became more and more her book and less anybody else's. In the end it was as wonderful as always and I loved, lo ...more
Patricia Williams
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was a little slow getting started but by the end of the book I was enjoying the story. I will say this about the book and this won't be a spoiler. The puppets were too much for me. I could have done without them in the story although they were part of it. Good romance type story for anyone who enjoys that and also this author is one of my favorites for this type of book.
Anne OK
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
Once again, SEP has delighted me with another of her gems. “Heroes” is filled with her trademark flawless dialogue and a mysterious Goth-like setting. I freely admit that it has a much darker and serious feel to it than what has become her usual. Still yet, it is filled with characters so uniquely drawn and bewitching that I became spellbound with its aura.

The going is a bit slow at first to allow for the details and setup. For some this may be a negative, but I love what’s in all those extra d
Dali
An interestingly sweet and touching story about, forgiveness, finding one self and love and very glad I didn’t give up on because truly Heroes ARE my Weakness.

The last place Annie Hewitt wants to go is back to the island where as a teenager the boy she crushed on bullied her to the point of fear. But as a struggling actress-puppeteer, she has nowhere else to go. In the hopes of finding the legacy her dying mother promised her, she’s putting on a brave face and using her charm to put the pieces o
Mandy
I loved the suspense in this book! I had no idea what was going on and what I guessed was wrong so I was pretty excited about that. Plus, the romance was one of my favorites by this author. I really loved this couple.
Ally
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Girl, this heroine, she had some moments, but this pop psychology sh!t, hell no!

grrr

You do not, knowing you are messing with serious mental sh!t, play pretend therapist. For that reason, the book gets knocked off two stars. Because listen, the author makes the heroine say that she's engaging in some therapy bs she has no business engaging in like three times. Nope.

She gets stars for the puppets. They were at least fun.

puppet

Potential for four stars. Down to two for pop psych crap and a few over-dramat
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
My sister and I listened to this on Playaway in the car. It was very enjoyable. The narrator was really good. She was able to endow her voice with different personalities. The heroine is refreshingly quirky. She hears the voices of her puppets in her head. The fact that she's a puppeteer alone is a different touch. Add that onto a story that is rife with Gothic atmosphere and that her puppets are real personalities to her, and that makes this feel very unique.

I totally pictured Kirsten Wiig as A
Keertana
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
More often than not, Susan Elizabeth Phillips is an author I turn to in desperate need of a pick-me-up. Not only do her characters draw me in, but her romances manage to contain depth while remaining light reads I can breeze through and simply enjoy. Heroes Are My Weakness, however, proved a bit too odd for my liking. It isn't a bad novel, not in the least, but being a blend of many genres and time periods forces its narrative to stutter and though I became engrossed in the love story by the las ...more
Lindsay
This book has left me speechless.

I've read SEP in the past and loved her stuff, but this wasn't her typical light and fluffy read. All the elements that you would typically associate with her work was there but this was also more romantic suspense and mystery. And I loved every moment of it!

I'll admit that while the blurb totally drew me in, I was nervous about the creepy guy that knew of a million ways to kill with his bare hands and loved to craft terrifying horror novels. And he lived up to
SheriC (PM)
A really cute story about a quirky ventriloquist whose puppets provide ongoing commentary to everything she does, but are at least mercifully silent during sex. It’s got a brooding, complicated hero, a couple of easily guessable mysteries, and a Happily Ever After, which I don’t consider a spoiler since this is a conventional romance. (view spoiler) ...more
Valerie Best
Didn't finish. The main character spent a lot of time talking to her ventriloquist dummies. So I skipped ahead a bit. And she was still talking to them.

I see that a lot of people whose reviews I like gave this a high rating, but I couldn't get past the dummies.

I get that Annie was working hard on being "quirky", but, for me, it just came across a tad unsettling. Right on the cusp of deranged.
Deborah Morgan
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-adult
So not the normal fun, flirty novel Susan Phillips is known for. This one had a darker side which I found intriguing.
Amor y letras : Heroes Are My Weakness 11 23 Oct 03, 2018 06:27PM
Round Lake Librar...: February meeting Date 1 5 Nov 03, 2014 04:15PM
Susan Elizabeth P...: Heroes Are My Weakness 3 52 Sep 13, 2014 09:28PM

• The One In My Heart
  • Suddenly You (Porter Siblings, #2)
  • In Your Dreams (Blue Heron, #4)
  • Shadows At Sunset
  • Blindsided (Roman Holiday #3)
  • Hear Me
  • Prima Donna (Friends First, #2)
  • What I Love About You (Truly, Idaho, #3; Military Men, #3)
  • The Chocolate Touch  (Amour et Chocolat #4)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • Blame It On Texas (Hotter In Texas #2)
  • All I Want Is You (Coral Cove, #1)
  • The Care and Feeding of Unmarried Men (The Wisegirls, #2)
  • The Sweetest Summer (Bayberry Island, #2)
  • Apples Should Be Red
  • Mr. Right Goes Wrong
  • The Picnic and Suchlike Pandemonium
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is an international bestseller whose books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award. Among her other accomplishments, Susan created the sports romance.

Susan's newest book, FIRST STAR
“I don't need anybody here."
"Sure you do. Who's going to answer the door while you're asleep in your casket?”
11 likes
“He tunneled his dirty hands through her hair and kissed her breathless. Her neck, her eyes, the corners of her mouth. He kissed her lips as if his life depended on it. Kissed their future into her. All they could have and all they could be.” 11 likes