Start by marking “Notes from a Small Dog: Four Legs on Two” as Want to Read:
Notes from a Small Dog: Four Legs on Two

Notes from a Small Dog: Four Legs on Two

He asked me what it is with balls...why I love them so much. I had a think about that. It is 'cause they fly. Like birds. I'm supposed to chase birds. I'm a bird-dog. 'Course, she won't really let me. It doesn't stop me barking at 'em and seeing 'em off from my garden. But it isn't the same. Somewhere, deep inside, I know what I am supposed to do, what I am supposed to be. ...more
Published November 14th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published February 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Notes from a Small Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes from a Small Dog

Start your review of Notes from a Small Dog: Four Legs on Two
Barbara Ann
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a perfect book to place on your coffee table! This collection of poetry is cleverly written, carefully planned, and hilarious. The author writes on a range of subjects seen from the perspective of a small dog and her owner. They muse about common activities like gardening, eating and cleaning. Some go back to explore history like "Homage" and "Sweet Briar" which discuss The Magna Carta and Snow White. Don't know what to do when you can't sleep. You might want to read "Zombie Dawn."

There is
Robbie Cheadle
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael and I are firm Ani addicts so another whole book about Ani’s antics is a real treat. The goings on of Ani’s two legs, sets Michael off into gales of laughter so we are really happy to read about the trials and tribulations of “Her” too.

The book is written in rhyming verse and tells all sorts of tales. To coin a phrase, Ani says:

“The time has come,” the doglet said,

“to talk of many things;

Of tennis balls and squeaky ducks,

and sneaky bees with stings; …”

In this book, Laughter Lies, Life
Ritu Bhathal
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful set of poems, showcasing the talent of Sue Vincent, and her four-legged pooch Ani!
Sue Vincent has a way with words, she can tell a tale in rhyme that hooks you and leaves you wanting more.
Thoroughly enjoyed!
Janice Spina
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Amusing Book of Clever Poems!

Laughter Lines is an amusing book of poems cleverly written that will cause your laughter to bubble over. It is an extremely enjoyable romp through a dog's life and more. The author's poems carry a musical cadence that still resonant in my mind.

Sue Vincent is a talented poet, author and storyteller extraordinaire. I look forward to reading more of her work.
Darlene Foster
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful book written from the point of view of a charming dog named Ani with some words of wisdom from Ani's owner, Sue, interspersed throughout. Ani is everything you would want in a fur baby. She is lovable, playful, mischievous and clever. I have a dog and imagined her saying and doing the same things as I read the Ani chapters. Here is some dog wisdom: "We're always in love. With everything really...smells...toys...people... It's hard for me to imagine how it must be for you lot who ...more
Robbie Cheadle
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Where to start with a review of Notes from a Small Dog: Four Legs on Two by Sue Vincent? I loved this books so much and so did Michael. It became a bit of a contentious book between Mike and I as I sneakily read ahead and Michael realised that I wasn't starting where I had finished reading to him and made me go back. He was very determined not to miss a single word. I love this type of story, told mainly through the eyes of a small and very cute dog called Ani. Sue depicts day to day life in ...more
Sue Vincent
Mar 05, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Continuing the journey begun in The Initiate and Heart of Albion, Don and Wen find themselves sliding ever deeper into the mythology, folklore and symbolism that abounds in the English countryside.

Things are getting serious.

Wen-of-the-Wild-Locks has uncovered a Flaming Hill in the centre of the Field of Sheaves but Wide-Eyed Don, our cautiously sceptical anti-hero is still having none of it.

Anu, the Bird-Dog, is intent on inventing more and more new games to play. Falling out of the bullet-car
Chris The Story Reading Ape
What a great fun read - perfect 'laugh out loud' poems for dipping into at any time!
One or two of them will exercise the reader's Yorkshire accent a treat.
The author and her 'small dog' make a formidable team with their wry look at life together as well as life in general.

See my review also at:

KL Caley
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book came to my attention after discovering this writer contributed to a regular blog, Daily Echo (http://scvincent.com/), I had been lucky enough to read some of the excerpts and when I discovered these tales (no pun intended) had become a book I had to buy it.
Sue Vincents writing is beautiful and the variety of work she creates is astounding. Ani instantly captures the minds (and hearts) of all those who read her stories. Ani’s interpretation of the world is hilarious (and true) and her
Judy Martin
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought I would try something different
Not something I usually do
But I have just read a fabulous book
And I wanted to write a review!
If you enjoy a great poem
And love to have a good laugh
Then you will love Ani’s antics
To get out of having a bath!
If legends are more to your fancy
St George and the dragon – the truth
To slay it takes one feisty princess
Not some weak, callow youth!
Do you have a sense of adventure?
To do what very few dare
Stand out from the crowd and be noticed
With vibrant red pillar
Pamela Beckford
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful read. Ani, when she gets to use the computer, tells about her days and her exploits. There are a couple of charming poems interspersed with Ani's tales. Sue Vincent also adds a couple of chapters about life.

This was an easy read. Well written and charming. I don't know how you could read this and not fall in love.

I recommend this book for dog lovers. It would be a great gift for someone too. Besides, Ani is trying to sell enough books to buy herself a ball thrower thingy.
Geoff Le
Oct 04, 2016
Victoria Zigler
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Ani via her blog posts, and fell in love with her all over again while reading this book. This is a well-written - not to mention, often entertaining - read, which anyone who loves dogs will enjoy.
Rose English

• The Ladies of Missalonghi
  • The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles
  • Rebecca
  • Tales from the Irish Garden
Sue Vincent is a Yorkshire born writer currently living in the south of England, largely due to an unfortunate incident with a map, a pin and a blindfold. Raised in a spiritually eclectic family she has always had an unorthodox view on life, particularly the inner life, which is often reflected in her writing, poetry and paintings.

She maintains a popular blog, https://scvincent.com and is