Start by marking “Java Performance: The Definitive Guide” as Want to Read:
Java Performance: The Definitive Guide

Java Performance: The Definitive Guide

The world of Java performance has shifted significantly in the past ten years. Multicore machines and 64-bit operating systems are now standard even for casual users, and Java itself has introduced new features to manage applications. The base JVM has kept pace with those developments and offers a very different performance profile in its current versions. By guiding you ...more
Published May 22nd 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Java Performance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java Performance

Start your review of Java Performance: The Definitive Guide
Rod Hilton
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ever hear of the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon? It's the name given for that weird feeling you have when you learn a new word you've never seen before, and then all of a sudden you're seeing it absolutely everywhere. It seems like every e-mail and every TV show is using this word, and you wonder to yourself how you managed to never notice it before, since it's all over the place now? Or maybe you start looking at a new car and researching it, and all of a sudden it seems like everyone on the road is ...more
Tomasz Nurkiewicz
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Java Performance: The Definitive Guide is the best Java book I read this year. In about 400 pages Scott Oaks touches every aspect of Java-based applications, from core terminology and methodologies, through tooling, JIT, garbage collection, threading etc., to reach high-level topics, such as Java EE, JDBC/JPA, Java 8 and even... JavaScript and CSS compression. But let's go through this book chapter by chapter.

First the author explains common terms like what is a microbenchmark, measuring
Steve
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got a copy of this book through the Amazon Vine program, thinking that it might be time to brush up on some nuts-and-bolts Java information. I'm glad that I did. For me a good technical book sets the context for the problem and gives you enough information to apply what you learned to harder problems that the book covers, but which also gives you information you can apply immediately. java performance the definitive guide does a good job of both.

This book will be useful for both those new to
Alex Ott
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very useful...
Sumit
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book covers multiple areas of improvement in great detail, including garbage collection heap memory, native memory, threading and synchronization. A very useful for those looking to tune the performance of their Java application
Johan
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent introduction to understanding Java performance. Well paced and informative without being overly dry.
Prakash
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comp-sci, own-it
Excellent book to read if you are looking to tune your java application.

Not an absolute marvel if you are a software developer looking to learn more about the internals of JVM. Obviously, that doesn't seem to be the target audience of this book, but I guess the latter demographic eclipses the former (even among the buyers).

The book covers almost all aspects of JVM but can get a little sluggish due to the focus on tuning. I was certainly expecting more theoretical information especially around
Manzur
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is for adults.. adult developers, who are ready to think about software performance not in theoretical big-O notation, but in terms of processor caches, memory pages, garbage collection, JIT and etc, which means a lot in a production environment. So this book introduces you to the techniques of developing performant Java code; tools for profiling and troubleshooting your code; and, of course, 1001 ways of tuning JVM. All in all, it contains a lot of Java development wisdom, and I can ...more
Cristian Stan
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
I really recommend this book. I touches a lot of important topics about Java language and the JVM. Achieving high performance is not an easy task because a lot of knowledge is needed but this books covers the most important aspects and also teaches the basics about the methodology of performance testing, in itself a not trivial challenge.
Hussein Elsayed
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I totally recommend every java developer “who is eager to write performant applications” to read this book .. its very useful and covers alot of performance tunings and testing tricks .. the best chapters for me were the ones covering GC tuning and of course the last 3 chapters were very interesting.
Lojza Tran
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must-read book for everybody who wants to be a better Java developer. The topics are also interesting for developers of different languages, as some principles apply in general - e.g. JIT, garbage collection.
Aaron Decker
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best Java book I have encountered other than Effective Java.
Andrzej Hołowko
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, favorites
Every JVM developer should read this book. Highly recommended.
Franck Chauvel
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book describes both best programming practices that will secure the performance of your Java code as well as how to finely tune the underlying Java virtual machine to get best possible performance. Performance here is mainly understood as the trade-off between memory consumption and execution time. Covered topics include garbage collection, JavaEE configuration, multi-threading, micro-benchmarking, and recent new Java8 features to name a few.
Yet the book assumes some fluency in Java
Dmitry
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The rare book dedicated to performance topic of java, decent level of choosing subject to discuss and quality of explanation.
I found the how I can improve my level of understanding and memorizing any book read - writing extracts in parallel with reading, https://dkrinitsyn.wordpress.com/2016...
Zbyszek Sokolowski
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books on the market. Second one on performance topic but it is good. I would like to be a second part. It gives good insight about what is going on in the JVM. How different things behaves etc. I will come back to it frequently.
Jakub Dziworski
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I expected a lot less from this book. It not only teaches you how to use Java in a performant way, but also jvm internals and os itself. Many information I found in this book is not available anywhere else.
Anton Murauyou
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's really hard to find a book of such an advanced level that make you organize all your knowledge of Java performance aspects thoroughly. I highly recommend this book for all involved in Java development. For some this book will even give a step forward in career.
David
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievably detailed in the topic of JVM performance, but also focusing on how the compilers and language and internals of the JVM work. This is a book for JVM developers, not just testers.
Will
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A modern, up to date book on Java Performance, including 1.8. Thank goodness.
Artur Skowroński

• Enemigos - Ionich
  • Ward No. 6 and Other Stories
  • Java Network Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »