Start by marking “Even When You Lie to Me” as Want to Read:
Even When You Lie to Me

Even When You Lie to Me

Charlie, a senior, isn't looking forward to her last year of high school. Another year of living in the shadow of her best friend, Lila. Another year of hiding behind the
Published June 9th 2015 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Even When You Lie to Me, please sign up.
Suzie it doesn't appear that way. i just double checked her website and i don't see anything.
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,363 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerSix of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
YA Novels of 2015
1,542 books — 8,945 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Even When You Lie to Me
Wendy Darling
The few chapters seemed great, but I quickly lost interest after pages and pages of tedious conversations and pointless encounters. The ending was at least marginally interesting/different, but the way it was executed left me impatient and indifferent.

For a book with a topic this controversial, this was almost criminally boring. And I still don't get why the blurb compares this to John Green, Sarah Dessen, and Lauren Oliver. Grrrr.

An advance copy was provided by the publisher.
LoudVal
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I want to throw all the awards at this book (you can quote me on that). At least before it gets banned in like 20 states (for all the wrong reasons, natch).

The copy is wrong in some ways, but so right in others: It's comparable to John Green and Sarah Dessen when they're ON (Fault, Will Grayson and Truth about Forever), but still pales in comparison (and I enjoy both greatly). Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall (which is still her best book to date) is a close second, but this debut is beyond better
Beatrix

After finishing this novel I really don’t know how to feel. It wasn’t terrible, I didn’t hate it, no; however I didn’t like it either and I wouldn’t recommend it.
If you’re like me and have a slight obsession with teacher/student novels, I say skip this one. I feel like the author wanted to write something taboo, but was afraid to go too far. In general, basically nothing happens in this book. I kind of wanted more drama.

Now, the main reason this didn’t entirely work out for me is beca
Acordul Fin

What a lie!

Probably one of the disappointing books I've had my hands on this year. I couldn't stomach it. The main character, Charlie, was exceedingly immature (even for a teenager) and pathetic. She focused excessively on the fact she wasn't as pretty as her friend and she didn't have a
Romy
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
I never write reviews.

I put this down 5 times. I closed my eyes or got off the bed to pace for a while. It put a fire in my lungs, constricted my throat and burned my stomach.

I don't share everything with Charlie. There are enough differences to give me some space. But the similarities...god, to be reincarnated as a teenager would be hellish.

This novel encapsulates parts of adolescence that I so rarely see written without condemnation or condescension: humiliation, self-loathing, trust, jealous
Mai is a Happy Bibliophile

"The day after I turned eighteen was the day Mr. Drummond left for good."

This is one of your typical forbidden attraction between a teacher and a student. However, if you're looking forward to reading something sexy, hot and heavy - then this one will quite disappoint you. I'll recommend Unteachable instead. If you are looking for a fluffy student-teacher romance then go read Slammed. Because this book may be your typical taboo book but it's also kinda different from the others. I don't get
ily
Apr 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, ya, 2015
Dear author,

You had this amazing story in your hands that you could have turned into this amazing book but you just went for the typical and dull YA novel instead. That pisses me off. It actually makes me want to punch myself in the face. Several times. How could you murder so much potential? I literally wanted to knee on and yell dramatically WHY?! at God because your book made me feel so frustrated. So yeah. I did not like your book. To be completely honest, I hated every minute of this read.
Norah Una Sumner
Jun 09, 2015 marked it as i-do-not-think-so
"Fans of John Green's Looking for Alaska as well as Lauren Oliver and Sarah Dessen will embrace this provocative debut novel, an exploration of taboo love set against the backdrop of a suburban high school."

Nope,nope,nope,nopity,nope.
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
This. Book... This book... This... book! (Okay, I'll stop now. I just don't know where to start.)
This is Jessica's only novel and I can't wait until she comes out with more. She has gained a most devoted fan after reading this beauty of a story and I don't know where to go from here. I still can't believe just how much this book spoke to me. Not only was it about my favorite taboo trope ever but I also connected with the character in such a deep level that we minus well could've been the same pe
Nastassja
Real rating 3.5

Well, this book left me conflicted. From one side I absolutely loved it, from the other side I hated it a little. But this book made me feel and whether these feelings were good or bad it doesn't matter because it left it's mark on me.

From the summary this book sounds like a regular forbidden teacher-student romance, but it isn't - this book is actually a drama. MC Charlie is a typical teenager: she's shy, self-conscious, she thinks she's ugly especially compared to her beautiful

Gray Cox
Normally I do not like novels that are more provocative and explore morally grey areas such as minors with adults. Pedophilia is not okay and neither is an adult manipulating a teen, I don't care if they're over sixteen or not, you're the adult not them.

But this book did a really good job of exploring the dangers of a minor and non-minor relationship, especially with the added taboo of a teacher, student relationship and emotional abuse and manipulation.

A very conflicting read.

Extreme conte
Meghan
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So I actually really loved this book! I could see why some people might not enjoy it or have some issues with it but I thought the book beautifully dealt with a coming of age young woman just trying to figure out her way through life and figure out who she would become. There’s the obvious her and her teacher relationship that is dealt with in the novel but I saw it more as a catalyst for all of those other things previously mentioned! I would read another book by this author in a heartbeat!

Lon
Markéta
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
1.5 stars!**

I've seen this book all over instagram so I looked it up and it sounded interesting and I like the cover so I was thinking about buying the physical copy (I got really into owning physical books again and let me tell, it's way too expensive..) and I'm so glad that I decided not to waste my precious space on my bookshelves and money I'd have to pay for the hardcover.

Because this book was such a disappointment. It's about a girl who's insecure, immature and selfish. Her BFF is loudmout
Kyla Harris
Pace - 8/10
Ending - 7/10
82/100 = B+
4/5 stars

I HAVE FINISHED A BOOK! it's been what? 2 weeks? WHAT. EVEN. this is the kind of result school has on you. I'm glad that this book was able to pull me out of this slump and that I had enough will power to begin it in the first place cus man I was struggling! I started out this book not liking it. about 100 pages in the story started to get more intense to a point I didn't want to stop readi
Violet Prime
Apr 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
I would give this book 0 stars if I could.

I usually give a book 3 stars if I don't like it...so...

Anyways, this book needs to come with a warning label. It explores the painfully awkward story of a student-teacher relationship, even justifying the existence of one. This book...*shudders* will scar you, no matter how dirty you already are. It is extremely proactive, and I wouldn't even recommend it to high school students, much less middle schoolers.

I think that censorship is useless, because wh
Sthita
Dawnie
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok

Its hard to review a book where I have mixed feelings about.

But lets start with the positive okay?
Since that is always nicer!!

The writing was good. It was solid and consistently throughout the entire story. Never changed style or pacing.
There was a different kind of main girl –not the overconfident blond hair, model height beautiful cheerleader and super smart as well , of course!; but rather an apparently ugly not really thin girl. We also had the typical blond smart girl –she was th
Jazmen
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guys, this is hard to review. This book is taboo, the blurb tells you that. I think my expectations were a little NA, sort of. I didn't expect any sexy times, but I thought the book would push the envelope a bit—and it did, but it also didn't.

Okay, let's see. Charlie is in her senior year. She's an introvert. She's young and unsure of herself. This plays heavily into her crush on her English teacher, Mr. Drummond. He's sickeningly smart, and funny. He is attractive, and I'm assuming fairly young
Julie
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't know what to think about this book. It was okay, but it didn't go the way I expected it to go and I'm kind of disappointed by that. I expected a more risque student/teacher romance but nothing really happened until the end and even that was kind of a let down. Not to mention the main character, Charlie, never got the character development she so desperately needed. The only enjoyable characters in this book are Asha and Dev and there honestly wasn't enough of them in this novel. (I even ...more
Denia  Books & Baubles
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Crushes on teachers? I remember those days... *sigh*
In the story of my life, this far, I had two crushes on my teachers. One was in High school, with my civics teacher and another one in college with my English teacher. They were both sweet and very handsome. But one was stupid and the other one had a girlfriend, so...

Anyhow, to the book....
I don't know what to say about it.The story between a student having a crush on a teacher and acting on it, has been a fantasy of mine, but then letting go?
Praiz
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, that was anti-climactic. If it wasn't for the enjoyable prose, I wouldn't have pursued the book at all. But hey, it's about the journey not the destination and all. 4stars.
Leyna
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
ouch.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: B+

EVEN WHEN YOU LIE TO ME is not the story you will expect, after reading the blurb.

It is not a novel about a predatory teacher who takes advantage of a vulnerable student.

It is not the story of a blameless victim, who nobody understands.

EVEN WHEN YOU LIE TO ME isn't even most about a student in a teacher.

Charlie has issues. She has a chip on her shoulder. She feels like an outsider in school and at home, but fails to see her contribution to her situations. An introvert, she's mismatched
Dahlia
Definitely top 5 for most I've laughed at a main character's wit; absolutely loved Charlie's sense of humor, which is something I'm obsessed with loving in books but rarely, rarely do. This wasn't at all what I was expecting the book to be, which was a really emotional and soul-searching journey featuring a predatory teacher, and I'm not sorry about it. It dipped into something exceptionally real without having to push skin-crawling* boundaries for it (*for most; I'm a total junkie for student/t ...more
Lindsay
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lindsay by: Alyssa
3.5

From the moment that my friend recommended this to me, I couldn't wait to read it. Once I got it, I jumped right in. I loved the story. I loved the slow build of it, how they got to know each other. I liked the characters (except the horrible best "friend" that should have been pushed off a cliff).

What I hated was the ending. I guess, in a sense, there's a happy ending. But it wasn't the happy ending I wanted! For me, there was no HEA. And I have a huge problem with that. I read romance novel
Gaby
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Alrighty! I'm going to confess something to you... I have an obsession with student/teacher relationships. It's not that I want one for myself (god no) but in books it's just so exciting!

and that's how I picked this one up

In the end I sort of got what I wanted. There was tension, a build up, a life beside the tension going on, but...
it just didn't go anywhere. All the pain just didn't matter, the final give in to the feelings was waaaaaaaay too short. If you build up all this tension, you can'
Tati
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was expecting much more out of this.

Charlie was an annoying character. She was excessively shy (with no apparent reason), and didn't really make an effort to change it. Overall, she is not someone I'd like to be friends with. She is selfish in several moments, which really doesn't help her case.

In fact, come to think of it, this book was full of annoying characters.

Plotwise, this was also frustrating. It could have been so much more. Instead, it just peters out. This book's only saving grace i
Nicole Hoefs
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Really enjoyed this one, but I wasn't desperate to finish it (obviously given how long it took me to finish it). 4 stars. Haven't fully decided yet. I felt a kinship with Charlie quite a bit. Kind of hated Lila and Charlie's mom.
Tikaa
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars! I have alot to say in my review, so stay tuned!
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
no no no no ooo no no shit!

Even When You Lie to Me touches on a very sensitive topic. Student-Teacher relationships are not unheard of. But most of them end extremely bad, mainly for the teacher. Sometimes people forget that teachers are people too. They make mistakes and don't always use proper judgement. I actually see no problem with a Student-Teacher relationship if the student is 17-18, they BOTH have feelings for each other and consent, and if the teacher is truly interested in a relations

• Lessons of the Heart
  • Under The Peaches (Teaching Love, #1)
  • Drowning Instinct
  • Grown
  • Pushing the Limits
  • The Last Boy and Girl in the World
  • Pushing Perfect
  • Heartless (Chasing Hearts, #1)
  • Layover
  • Tortured Whispers
  • Distraction (The Distraction Trilogy, #1)
  • The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things
  • The Sandbar saga
  • Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey
Jessica Alcott lives with her husband and their two cats. She graduated from Bennington College and has worked as a children's publisher in the UK.

Even When You Lie to Me is her first novel.

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...
“I’d had crushes before, but this was worse than anything I’d ever felt. It started in my stomach and soon it was everywhere, spreading outward like an infection; it swallowed my concentration, blotted out my other interests, consumed whole days I would have normally spent reading. I felt like a tuning fork perpetually vibrating at his frequency. It happened suddenly: one day I barely noticed it and the next it felt like it had always been there and I would never be able to shake it.” 0 likes
“All intellectually curious people feel that way,” he said. “Only incurious people feel comfortable with how little they know.” 0 likes