Start by marking “Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2013 edition” as Want to Read:
Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2013 edition

Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2013 edition

(Some of the Best from Tor.com #2013)

A collection of some of the best original short fiction published on Tor.com in 2013.

includes the following short stories:

“A Rumor of Angels” by Dale Bailey
“The Too-Clever Fox” by Leigh Bardugo
“Thief of War” by Beth Bernobich
“A Window or a Small Box” by Jedediah Berry
“Contains Multitudes” by Ben Burgis
“The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere” by John Chu
“Old Dead Futures”
Published November 5th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2013 edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2013 edition

Start your review of Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2013 edition
Anna Kļaviņa
A Rumor of Angels by Dale Bailey The Too-Clever Fox (Grisha Verse, #2.5) by Leigh Bardugo Thief of War (River of Souls, #0.2) by Beth Bernobich A Window or a Small Box by Jedediah Berry Contains Multitudes by Ben Burgis The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere by John Chu Old Dead Futures by Tina Connolly The Elephant in the Room by Paul Cornell Lawful Interception by Cory Doctorow Wakulla Springs by Andy Duncan A Terror by Jeffrey Ford The Hanging Game by Helen Marshall In the Greenwood by Mari Ness The Ink Readers of Doi Saket by Thomas Olde Heuvelt Burning Girls by Veronica Schanoes Rag and Bone by Priya Sharma Equoid (Laundry Files, #2.9) by Charles Stross Sing by Karin Tidbeck Terrain by Genevieve Valentine The Best We Can by Carrie Vaughn Super Bass by Kai Ashante Wilson

A Rumor of Angels by Dale Bailey ★★★★
Set during Dust Bowl era, beautiful language.
Suitable song Mirel Wagner - The Dirt

The Too-Clever Fox by Leigh Bardugo ★★★½
Fairy tale about clever fox and heartless hunter. Apparently the author has book series somehow inspired by Russian/Slavic culture, then there is no excuse for this: Had it been Jurek who kept his distance, who drowned his fear in bottles of kvas, who st
Metaphorosis
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2014-rev

reviews.metaphorosis.com

Tor.com has some of the best free SFF on the web recently. Even the stories designed to promote long-form authors are generally solid, stand-alone stories. Because of that, their 'best of' anthologies have been a cut above most anthologies. That's not to say they're all good, but as a free download, it's pretty hard to beat this collection.

The best stories were:

The Too-Clever Fox by Leigh Bardugo (whose excellent Witch of Duva is in both Tor Fierce anthologies,
Tomislav
This was another one of Tor.com's annual free anthologies. Well, at least it was free when I downloaded it. It now appears that Amazon.com charges for it. There does not seem to be any recurring theme, just a bunch of stories/novellas appended together. So there is no real incentive to limit its length, and according to goodreads, the result is the equivalent of 806 pages. Some of them are nominees or winners of major awards, so I have marked those in the list below.

I've also added comments on s
Flo
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A Rumor of Angels” by Dale Bailey: 3 Stars. This story had a great atmosphere, but I found the style slightly clunky, and honestly, I still don't really get the point of it all. What was it about? Why did any of the characters act like they did? It somehow feels rough and unfinished.

“The Too-Clever Fox” by Leigh Bardugo: 5 Stars. This one was brilliantly done, it felt just like an authentic folk tale, with the kind of sharp, bloody twist at the end I've come to expect from Bardugo.

“Thief of War
Francesco
Siccome sono più storie, il voto finale è la media aritmetica dei punteggi dei singoli racconti. Aritmetica, perché non ho voglia di andare a "ponderare".
3.89, arrotondato a 4

A Rumor of Angels, di Dale Bailey: 2
Sinceramente non ho ben capito il colpo di scena finale, e comunque la storia è troppo cupa e triste. Però è scritta bene e le descrizioni del paesaggio sono molto calzanti.

The Too-Clever Fox, di Leigh Bardugo: 5
La recensione sta qui

Thief of War, di Beth Bernobich: 5
Il setting è semplicem
Frank Hofer
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, there weren’t any misspelled words and the grammar was fine. And that’s the best I can say.

I gave up about 20 percent into the book. The stories I finished left me saying, “Yeah, so what was the point of that?” The stories I gave up on were incoherent.

The writers seemed to be going for imagery and style over plot and character development. In other words, pretentious crap.
Princessjay
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Rumor of Angels - Dale Bailey. 3 STARS. Written along the tradition of Steinbeck. Spare words illustrating the grinding desperation of people with no where to flee, holding hard onto thin thread of hope. Beautiful in its way, but I personally did not respond to it.

The Too-Clever Fox - Leigh Bardugo. 4 STARS. A folk tale with a truly surprising ending.

Thief of War - Beth Bernobich. 3.5 STARS. A short story based on the world from the author's main series. Palace intrigue, politics, magic, and t
Carla
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, own
Nice anthology. It's the first time I actually read so many short stories and I really enjoyed the experience. Some of the authors will be on my radar from now on.

A Rumor of Angels” by Dale Bailey - 4/5
Old Dead Futures” by Tina Connolly - 3/5
The Elephant in the Room
Francesca
3.5-4/5

Classica antologia annuale (e gratuita in versione ebook), nella quale Tor.com raccoglie i migliori racconti dell’anno pubblicati sul proprio sito.

Di seguito quelli che mi sono piaciuti di più.

“A Rumor of Angels”
Bello e dal linguaggio evocativo.
È un viaggio, come quello che intraprende il protagonista, attraverso una visione differente del mondo, un luogo in cui ancora sopravvivono il magico e il divino.

“The Too-Clever Fox”
Racconto molto particolare, che amalgama spunti originali con fiab
Adam
A great (and free!) collection of short stories from Tor! If you're wondering, the majority of them were either loosely fantasy or just somewhat "unreal", while a few of them were science fiction or more typical fantasy. One thing I found very interesting about this collection was how high the quality of writing was! Many of these short stories exhibited traits of real literature (not just some amateur author giving it a shot), and for the writing quality alone, this set of short stories is wort ...more
Jenny
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't often read short fiction, but a friend reccomended this collection, and free is always a good price, so I decided to give it a try.

Many of these stories would have gotten five stars from me. As far as the ones that would have gotten only three stars, well they're short. One or two trips on the bus, and you're reading something else.

My favourites were:

“The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere” by John Chu (Beautiful. Simply a beautiful story)
“Equoid” by Charles Stross (Really fun treatme
Miguel Oxamendi
Mostly disappointing collection. “Wakulla Springs” by Andy Duncan and Ellen Klages was the best of the lot. Fitting for the winner of several awards, including the 2014 World Fantasy Award, and several nominations. This is not strictly a sci/fi of fantasy novel, but it a compelling history of the Jim Crow south set in and around the filming of Tarzan and Creature from the Black Lagoon fantasy movies at Wakulla Springs. I also enjoyed “A Window or a Small Box” by Jedediah Berry, and “Burning Girl ...more
Jeffrey Pfaller
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid collection of speculative fiction from one of the biggest names in the genre. Some of the pieces, like "Wakulla Springs," were enjoyable to read but didn't really contain enough fantastical elements for me. I enjoyed "Equoid" by Charles Stross the most - the premise of unicorns actually being a horrible Lovecraftian monster is humorous in and of itself and Stross absolutely nailed a light-hearted tone that counter-balanced the horrific images well.
Ricky Kimsey
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nebula Nominees

This collection of stories published on the Tor books website in 2013 contains three stories that were nominated for the Nebula awards the following year.
Plus it contains stories set in the worlds of Cory Doctorow's
Little Brother and George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards series.
Renee Babcock
A consistently good volume of short fiction from Tor.com. A few stories didn't speak to me but some were exceptional, including Thief of War by Beth Bernobich, which was my favorite story of the anthology, Wakulla Springs by Ellen Klages and Andy Duncan (justifiably nominated for a Hugo) and Burning Girls by Veronica Schanoes.
ThomasAH
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Few stories are boring (I skipped one), most are good and some are very good.

I really liked the beautiful language of "Thief of War" by Beth Bernobich, which alone rises the rating from 4 stars for the full book to 5 stars for just including it.
Erin Price
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, nook, 2013
These really are some of the best stories published on tor.com this year, including some I passed up the first time around. I love "The Water That Falls On You From Nowhere" and "The Hanging Game", which are both also pretty short. Pick this up!
G33z3r
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really outstanding collection of novella & short stories, many Hugo & Nebula award nominees and winners. (Of course, you could read them all for free on Tor.com, but then this anthology is free, too!) ...more
Daniel Powell
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Many hits and just a few misses, which should be expected from such a diverse collection. Simply not into as much sci-fi and fantasy, which are gaps you can attribute to my tastes because the authors did a nice job with the work...
Dymphna
"Equoid", 3 stars
put it down after that
Avrila
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories in this collection are interesting, but the quality is very uneven.
Corey

• The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal
  • Milanesi brava gente. Storie di nera a Milano 1946-1975
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2012 edition
  • Jag heter inte Miriam
  • Le basi proprio della grammatica: Manuale di italiano per italiani
  • The Long Ships
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2011 edition
  • I barbari. Saggio sulla mutazione
  • Machine Musicianship
  • Points and Lines
  • De gloed van Sint-Petersburg
  • Ringworld (Ringworld, #1)
  • Two Zen Classics: The Gateless Gate and the Blue Cliff Records
  • Dungeon Hacks: How NetHack, Angband, and Other Roguelikes Changed the Course of Video Games
  • Make Your Own Electric Guitar
  • Woodwind Instruments and Their History
  • Composing Interactive Music: Techniques and Ideas Using Max
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
Dale was born in West Virginia in 1968, and grew up in a town called Princeton, just north of the Virginia line. His stories have appeared in lots of places—The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Asimov’s Science Fiction, Amazing Stories, Sci-Fiction, Lightspeed Magazine, and various anthologies. Several of them have been nominated for awards, and “Death and Suffrage,” later filmed as part of ...more

Some of the Best from Tor.com (7 books)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com, 2011 edition