Start by marking “Writing Habit Mastery - How to Write 2,000 Words a Day and Forever Cure Writer’s Block” as Want to Read:

LEARN: How to Forever Eliminate Writer's Block and Write Thousands of Words a Day

Do you struggle to write every day? Many people dream of becoming a successful author, but can't find the time to write. The truth is this: Great writers don't have more time than you do. They make time to write. Not only do they make time, they also follow specific routines that help them
Published November 18th 2013

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Habit Mastery - How to Write 2,000 Words a Day and Forever Cure Writer’s Block

Start your review of Writing Habit Mastery - How to Write 2,000 Words a Day and Forever Cure Writer’s Block
Celine
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Just read Stephen King's On Writing instead. The advice is the same, and King is endlessly more inspiring than this glorified list of bullet points.

To be fair, many people can probably find some security in Scott's Writing Habit Mastery. The clear, clean language convinces the reader that truly, everyone can write a book, as long as you follow the instructions laid out in front of us. Write those words, get that amount of words down on paper, this book quietly chants. It doesn't matter if it's
Abner Rosenweig
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Its contents barely break 100 pages, and these pages are written in large print, with a great deal of white space marking section breaks.

But don't discount WHM because of its brief, simple message. Its simplicity may be its greatest strength. Building a writing habit is the most critical lesson in becoming a writer. You can read thousands of books in your intended genre; you can read thousands of books on how to write. You can conduct interviews with other writers, or go to expensive graduate
Tony Riches
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even after writing ten books I’m still interested in ways to improve my productivity, so was attracted to this book by its title. There are, of course, some familiar ideas here – but also a few I’d not come across before, including one which worked for me right away.

As we approach National Novel Writing Month there are plenty of writers out there who don’t need reminding that two thousand words a day is where you need to be to have any chance of hitting the magical fifty thousand in November.

I
Elizabeth
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing, nonfiction
This book is meant to be practical, offering no-nonsense advice. On the surface, it succeeds. And yet, there was nothing new or overly interesting here. The advice revolves around making time to write, committing to writing, and sticking with it. It’s all very basic stuff, and if this advice were easy to follow, we’d all be bestselling authors. It seemed aimed at beginning writers, and despite offering a bunch of platitudes along the lines of “just sit your ass in the chair and write,” it didn’t ...more
Wondra Vanian
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
I wasn't really expecting much from this book but it turned out to be quite good. It was straightforward and didn't waffle, which is definitely a good feature in a self-help book.

Everything in this book is common sense so it's not really original in any way - but it is a nice kick-in-the-rear type reminder that some of us writers need every now and then.
K. A. Parker
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: got-for-free
A very short, but helpful book on how to build a daily writing habit rather than 2000 words a day. In this respect, the title is quite misleading. But some of the advice is sound and practical, and I'm considering using some of the strategies in this book. Recommended for the novice or beginning writer that wants to get serious.
Al
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
I can’t believe I fell for it again. Another writing book from an never heard of author.

I don’t get how anyone can toss down 25,000 words and call it a book. Don’t get me wrong, I know how hard it is to put words on a page,that is one of the reasons I read this book after all, but readers fell robbed when they are expecting a book and they get a magazine. To put this into perspective, the New Yorker magazine is about the same size as this “book.”

The length aside, the content was not anything
Kurt
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet. Get’s right to the point and doesn’t try to pad out a page count with fluff and redundancy.

It doesn’t go into story, characters, plot, etc. There are PLENTY of books on the market covering those. This instead focused on a very simple premise: write regularly. It then gives some helpful tips on doing so.

This is what I was looking for to help me get out of my rut of writing irregularly or not at all.

Now to find the energy and time to try it out!
Kay
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as preparation for NaNoWriMo and got a lot of help in establishing a daily writing habit.

It felt like the author had interviewed me personally about my procrastination struggle and had then given me actionable steps to follow.

Audiobooks are hard for me to bookmark so I have also downloaded the ebook version for highlighting purposes.
Aaron Leyshon
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty much spouting the same advice as everyone else on this topic. Bum in chair every day until it becomes the right shape. It's not incorrect, it just doesn't add anything to the conversation. Read if you need a reminder.
Ali
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is arising from the author's personal experience, which makes it beneficial and experimental. In my opinion, the author could provide more details for those who wish to write.
Deepak Singh Bisth
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
If someone wants a step by step instructions on how to get into the habit of writing a book, this does the job.

Although not the best, but it is good enough.
Katia M. Davis
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a rather short guide and a very fast read. I knocked it over in about 90 mins, would have been less if I'd not been interrupted by someone wanting to talk to me. It was relatively well structured and did have relevant points. However there was not a lot of new material here. If you read recently written publications on "How to Write....", you will get something very similar to this book. That's not to say it was a bad read, it was well written and easy to follow, much more so than some ...more
Kate Boham
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-craft
This is a great resource. It's short but packed with tips on how to overcome the dreaded Writer's Block.
I don't have Writer's Block but I do have problems turning off the editor side of my brain while I'm trying to be creative. This book has some tips that sound extremely useful as I read through them and I can't wait to put them into practice.
I'm still trying to figure out what routines work best for me as a writer and I felt this book was loaded with tips that are going to help me structure
Kim
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Repeats much advice found for free on author blogs. Too many tactics instead of strategies, which are helpful when you are trying to develop your writing process, but aren't holistically applicable to a writing process.

Much prefer 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love - succinct and broader in application.
Simo Ibourki
Sep 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: writing
25 minutes of reading, this is my conclusion: It's not the best book on writing, it's not even a book, it is a collection of blog posts full of bullets points and not so new tips and advice. I already practice nearly 95% of the tips in this guide, but I can't write 2000 words a day (At least for now), nor I can cure the writer's block when it happens to me. For outlining I recommend "Plot Perfect", it's a detailed guide about outlines and structure.
LKM
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Great tips, but sadly nothing new under the sun, as most things said here you can find in just about any blog, for free. It's a to-the-point book, though, and tries not to beat around the bush on the explanations of the tips and tactics, so that's nice. A good read if you need to be reminded to just sit and write.
I particularly enjoyed the section on outlining.
Hussein Latif
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great advice

Thank you for this ebook. I have enjoyed reading it. As a result I feel I have what I need to write and publish...a thing I have always dreamed of doing for a long time! I recommend this book to anyone who yearns to write, or is facing writer's block. I have no more excuse not to write. Thanks.
Dale Pearl
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Writing Habit Mastery is filled with several fantastic tips to get you in the mode of writing. Not only in the mode but part of the strategy laid out is in documenting what you write, when you write, and how much you write.
I will keep this book on my kindle and use it as a daily reference and as a source of motivation. Thanks for the mentoring S.J. Scott.
Jeremy Ginn
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Become a writer

I am a huge fan of S.J. Scott! Each of his books are practical, easy to read, and filled with actionable content.

The chapters are short but filled with weighty material. I feel like I have a great guide to writing my first e-book.

Highly recommended for people looking for a beginners guide to writing.
Zainab
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Several years ago, in my English class, I got low score for writing subject, and my teacher in the class did not support me to be better. He makes me cried in front of class. After the moment, I believe that I am going to be a good author.
Tom Britz
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this helpful book. I realize that I will have to re-read it more than once, as there are so many good points that I'll want to instill. S.J. Scott, has written a how to manual that is fully able to ensure even the less ambitious will give it a try.
Cathy Carpenter
Apr 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
I saw this on Kindle for $2.99 so I bought it. I read it in about 75 minutes. Some of the tips don't apply to intermediate writers ("learn to touch type"), but there are some good suggestions and reminders. It was worth the $2.99 but I'm glad I didn't pay more than that.
Lanko
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This book was very short, but it went direct to the point. Very simple, more counsels than technicalities, which I like.
I can attest this worked, although I'm happy with 1000 words, but it's not rare that I reach the 2k or even pass it sometimes.
Callista Cassady
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Good basic refresher course on why you need to write every day, and some common pitfalls. No world-changing information - if you've existed on the internet in the last ten years, you know all this stuff. Still, doesn't hurt to read it again when you're feeling stuck.
Nicholas lim mingren
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
great

good read, concise info. Good emphasis and summary, may need to reread and develop a habit to write. Recommended for writers to be..
Johnny
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
A good collection of tips to create a habit for sustainable writing.
Tina
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very helpful. Went over 2,000 on the first day. Recommend for anyone who is trying to improve their word count
Jitka Egressy
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really usefull booklet!

Pointed and inspiring!
Yasmin Shiraz
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Book was packed with great tools and motivation for writers but it was too short. I still believe, however, that any writer struggling with meeting deadlines should read this book.

• Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • The Profitable Content System: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Creating Wildly Profitable Content Without Burnout
  • No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Creating Character Arcs: The Masterful Author's Guide to Uniting Story Structure, Plot, and Character Development (Helping Writers Become Authors Book 7)
  • Stein on Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies
  • Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer
  • All the Devils (Livia Lone #4)
  • Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies: A Guide to Language for Fun and Spite
  • The Miracle Morning for Writers: How to Build a Writing Ritual That Increases Your Impact and Your Income (Before 8AM) (The Miracle Morning Book Series)
  • Kou van jou
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Eraser
  • The Financial Diet
  • The Elements of Expression: Putting Thoughts into Words
  • Poems for Life: Famous People Select Their Favorite Poem and Say Why It Inspires Them
Wall Street Journal bestselling author SJ Scott wanted to be Luke Skywalker when he grew up.

Unfortunately his complete lack of physical grace and introverted mannerism's kept the earth from having their own Jedi Knight to battle the Sith menace.

Steve “SJ” Scott was born and raised in New Jersey. After finishing college with a degree in psychology he knew he needed to further his education or work
“Write a short story every week. It’s not possible to write 52 bad stories in a row.” ~ Ray Bradbury” 3 likes
“It’s important to put aside your internal editor and just get words down on the page when working on a first draft.” 1 likes